KEF LS50 Owners - Page 38 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #1111 of 1122 Old 12-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Newbie
 
tb151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOgiant View Post
Congrats an welcome to the club! I felt the same when i got mine set up for the first time. Are the ones they sell still branded 50th anniversary?


PSN: dagreeng

I just played Pink Floyd "Learning to Fly" from their Pulse Album and coupled with my HSU sub, I was completely in awe. I was trying them out with Tidal (ww.tidalhifi.com) and was extremely impressed.

I don't believe they say Anniversary Edition on them anywhere, unless its very inconspicuous?
tb151 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1112 of 1122 Old 12-15-2014, 12:22 PM
Senior Member
 
AUDIOgiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I was just curious about the 50th anniversary branding. They are still the same speaker but I think someone mentioned they stopped adding that phrase after the anniversary year ended.


PSN: dagreeng
AUDIOgiant is online now  
post #1113 of 1122 Old 12-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys,
I've blown through this entire thread and I think I'm left more confused about what way to go as far as amplification on the LS50! Here's some details:

- 50% Music, 50% HT
- Buying a house and dedicating a listening/theatre room (have not found a house yet)
- Going with the LS50 as they continue to be my favorite speaker that I've auditioned in my price range (assuming I don't end up with a giant listening room)
- Will be using a subwoofer (size/brand TBD based on eventual room size)
- Budget: ~$1000 (for the time being)

I've had people recommend amps/receivers from 50WPC-250WPC. I've had people tell me that I need an external amp and not just the amp section of an AVR. Tubes? SS? Class D, or A/B, or A? SO many questions!

I'm thinking of going with a cheap AVR for the moment (ie Denon X1100 for eventual surround sound) then adding a decent 2 channel amp. What do you guys think? Any advice would be awesome at this point. I'm just looking to be pointed in the right direction then do some more research based on my needs/budget.
TooPoor is online now  
post #1114 of 1122 Old 12-15-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 3,408
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post
Hey guys,
I've blown through this entire thread and I think I'm left more confused about what way to go as far as amplification on the LS50! Here's some details:

- 50% Music, 50% HT
- Buying a house and dedicating a listening/theatre room (have not found a house yet)
- Going with the LS50 as they continue to be my favorite speaker that I've auditioned in my price range (assuming I don't end up with a giant listening room)
- Will be using a subwoofer (size/brand TBD based on eventual room size)
- Budget: ~$1000 (for the time being)

I've had people recommend amps/receivers from 50WPC-250WPC. I've had people tell me that I need an external amp and not just the amp section of an AVR. Tubes? SS? Class D, or A/B, or A? SO many questions!

I'm thinking of going with a cheap AVR for the moment (ie Denon X1100 for eventual surround sound) then adding a decent 2 channel amp. What do you guys think? Any advice would be awesome at this point. I'm just looking to be pointed in the right direction then do some more research based on my needs/budget.
Don't think the X1100 has any preouts to be able to add an amp. Plus if you're planning on using the LS50s for HT you'll need 3 since there is no LS series center, so in that case you might want to add at least 3 channels of external amplification if you're going that route.

Grab a X4000 now while still available. They're selling new for around $800.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is online now  
post #1115 of 1122 Old 12-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good stuff! I can't believe I didn't notice that about the 1100... 4000 does look like a good option.
TooPoor is online now  
post #1116 of 1122 Old 12-15-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post
Good stuff! I can't believe I didn't notice that about the 1100... 4000 does look like a good option.
The Denon AVR-X4000 has the improved version of Audyssey room equalization called XT32 which will provide a significant sound improvement over the lower versions. This alone is worth the up-grade price.

The power output of the X4000 in 2-channel stereo mode is 125W per channel at 0.08% THD into 8 ohms. The KEF LS50 has a maximum continuous rating of 100W into a nominal impedance of 8 ohms - so from a power output stand point, the X4000 and LS50 will work together.

Speaker power requirements are exponential. How loud you want to play the LS50 is very dependent on your room dimensions, where the speakers are placed in the room and where you sit (i.e. the distance between you and the speakers). How loud you play also determines speaker power requirements. Most people will perceive a change in Sound Pressure Level (SPL) of 3dB. This 3dB change will require 2x more power than before.

To play 2x as loud requires a 10dB change in SPL. A 10dB increase in SPL increases the power demand by a factor of 100x.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
steveting99 is offline  
post #1117 of 1122 Old 12-16-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tractng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The white LS50 looks gorgeous. Thinking how I can squeeze a pair in the living room .
tractng is online now  
post #1118 of 1122 Unread Yesterday, 08:05 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What're you guys using for subs? I'm looking at the SVS PC2000x2 (or PC12+). Just am curious what everyone has/prefers with their LS50s.
TooPoor is online now  
post #1119 of 1122 Unread Yesterday, 10:22 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, is anyone else (shamefully) putting these in a cabinet? I'd like to create a 3.2 system with 3 ls50s but they must go in cavities in the media center. I'm hoping with the foam plugs in and two woofers in the room it will work ok?
BrianLikesMusic is online now  
post #1120 of 1122 Unread Today, 09:22 AM
Member
 
poolshark920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willow Grove, PA
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post
What're you guys using for subs? I'm looking at the SVS PC2000x2 (or PC12+). Just am curious what everyone has/prefers with their LS50s.
SVS SB-13 Ultra crossed over 63 Hz with speakers running full range. Sounds amazing!
poolshark920 is online now  
post #1121 of 1122 Unread Today, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
dftkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLikesMusic View Post
Hi, is anyone else (shamefully) putting these in a cabinet? I'd like to create a 3.2 system with 3 ls50s but they must go in cavities in the media center. I'm hoping with the foam plugs in and two woofers in the room it will work ok?

If you're putting the speakers in cubby holes in a cabinet, I would not spend the money on LS50's. Seems like a waste. Instead, I would use three Q100's--an excellent speaker. Put foam in the ports, like you said, and if you can, stuff acoustic foam or poly fill or some sort of sound dampening material in the remaining space inside the cubby. Then I would run Audyssey.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Loft Home Theater
dftkell is online now  
post #1122 of 1122 Unread Today, 12:59 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't mind investing in ls50, unless it would actually sound _worse_ in a cavity with plugged rear port than Q100/Q300?

Because kids will grow up, or we'll move, or or.... and I'll eventually get to put them on stands.

(btw you'd recommend q100 over q300? q300 on sale at kefdirect right now for less than q100)
BrianLikesMusic is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off