KEF LS50 Owners - Page 41 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
post #1201 of 1214 Old 01-24-2015, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone here using tube preamp with their LS50? I like the sound of LS50 a lot but did feel vocal is a little too neutral / analytical and want to know if tube will add some warmth and sweetness...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1214 Unread Today, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys, Well I've just pulled the trigger on the LS50's and I'm now in the search of what to pair them with. This is my first high end audio purchase so I'm a little confused as to what route to take for the best.
Basically 95% of my source is going to be coming from my NAS server, I've spent the last 4 months converting all of my CD collection in FLAC and now have it stored on the NAS. I do have a few vinyl records and it would be nice to add a turntable to the setup at a later stage but this isn't a priority.

So do I go the separates route or buy an integrated device, I've been looking at the Peachtree nova220SE and it seems it has everything I'd need but how would this pair with the LS50's? Or would I be better off going a DAC>Preamp>Amp or even just DAC>Amp and missing the Pre-amp out?

This is where I start to get confused when looking through all the options available, I just don't know what to do for the best. I should also note the NAS is situated upstairs and I'm going to need some way of streaming this to my setup downstairs, I was thinking pairing it with a sonos connect but not sure if there's a better alternative?

Any advice is much appreciated, as I'm very much a newbie when it comes to hi end audio equipment!
post #1203 of 1214 Unread Today, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboSausage View Post
Hi Guys, Well I've just pulled the trigger on the LS50's and I'm now in the search of what to pair them with. This is my first high end audio purchase so I'm a little confused as to what route to take for the best.
Basically 95% of my source is going to be coming from my NAS server, I've spent the last 4 months converting all of my CD collection in FLAC and now have it stored on the NAS. I do have a few vinyl records and it would be nice to add a turntable to the setup at a later stage but this isn't a priority.

So do I go the separates route or buy an integrated device, I've been looking at the Peachtree nova220SE and it seems it has everything I'd need but how would this pair with the LS50's? Or would I be better off going a DAC>Preamp>Amp or even just DAC>Amp and missing the Pre-amp out?

This is where I start to get confused when looking through all the options available, I just don't know what to do for the best. I should also note the NAS is situated upstairs and I'm going to need some way of streaming this to my setup downstairs, I was thinking pairing it with a sonos connect but not sure if there's a better alternative?

Any advice is much appreciated, as I'm very much a newbie when it comes to hi end audio equipment!
Congrats! Wonderful purchase.
Seems like you will be using the LS50s just for music?
The LS50s are relatively easy on equipment, other members here have had very good results on amps across a wide range of price points. Having dedicated components may be more fun (for some) and potentially makes upgrades down the road easier, but FWIW the KEF store in Hong Kong just hooks the LS50s up to a Marantz integrated amp (the PM series) for demos

For me personally I will use it mostly for music but also some movies, so will be getting the Marantz SR7009, which comes with DLNA and can stream my FLAC/MP3s from my NAS. It's also much easier for my wife to use just one amp driving everything rather than multiple components, which is also a critical factor!
post #1204 of 1214 Unread Today, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
Anyone here using tube preamp with their LS50? I like the sound of LS50 a lot but did feel vocal is a little too neutral / analytical and want to know if tube will add some warmth and sweetness...
I haven't tried this exactly, but I demoed the LS50s on an onkyo amp (more neutral/analytical) and a marantz amp (more warmth). The LS50s themselves are very transparent, and the different amps do make quite a difference. I personally preferred the warmer marantz, and probably with a tube amp they would be even warmer.
post #1205 of 1214 Unread Today, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricemanhk View Post
Congrats! Wonderful purchase.
Seems like you will be using the LS50s just for music?
The LS50s are relatively easy on equipment, other members here have had very good results on amps across a wide range of price points. Having dedicated components may be more fun (for some) and potentially makes upgrades down the road easier, but FWIW the KEF store in Hong Kong just hooks the LS50s up to a Marantz integrated amp (the PM series) for demos

For me personally I will use it mostly for music but also some movies, so will be getting the Marantz SR7009, which comes with DLNA and can stream my FLAC/MP3s from my NAS. It's also much easier for my wife to use just one amp driving everything rather than multiple components, which is also a critical factor!
Yes just for Music, at least for the time being. I'll probably look to hook the TV up to it at some point down the line though. From the reading I've done online it seems you really need to marry the Kef's up with the correct amp as some just don't do it justice. Is it correct that a warmer sounding amp is the way to go?
post #1206 of 1214 Unread Today, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Yes just for Music, at least for the time being. I'll probably look to hook the TV up to it at some point down the line though. From the reading I've done online it seems you really need to marry the Kef's up with the correct amp as some just don't do it justice. Is it correct that a warmer sounding amp is the way to go?
Yes, the LS50s run down to 4 ohms at lower frequencies, and not all amps can go that low consistently without problems. That said, for normal listening distances and volumes, many decent amps suffice. Of course, by "decent" I mean decent for AVS members

I think a slightly warm amp with the LS50s are a perfect fit for me, but it really depends on your music and sound preferences.
post #1207 of 1214 Unread Today, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricemanhk View Post
Yes, the LS50s run down to 4 ohms at lower frequencies, and not all amps can go that low consistently without problems. That said, for normal listening distances and volumes, many decent amps suffice. Of course, by "decent" I mean decent for AVS members

I think a slightly warm amp with the LS50s are a perfect fit for me, but it really depends on your music and sound preferences.
You only need two of them hehehe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Krell-Evol...-/251644844980

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #1208 of 1214 Unread Today, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
well why not these http://www.stereophile.com/content/n...ment-amplifier
with some KEF blades? practically makes the blades look cheap!
post #1209 of 1214 Unread Today, 08:09 AM

What about these options, which would be my best route? bearing in mind that 95% of the time it will be for digital music streamed from a NAS. However I would like to add a turntable at some point and also hook my TV up. Which out of the options gives me the best future proofing?

1) I'd still need a separate DAC with this setup.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/h...o-Preamplifier
http://nadelectronics.com/products/h...nnel-Amplifier

2) Or this route I wouldn't need a separate DAC

http://nadelectronics.com/products/h...tal-Preamp-DAC

Is having the option of Bi-amplification of benefit with the LS50's?

3) Or would the All in one solution be better?

http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/nova22...-with-dac.html
post #1210 of 1214 Unread Today, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 219
LS50 can't be biamped afaik

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #1211 of 1214 Unread Today, 10:40 AM

Quote:
What about these options, which would be my best route? bearing in mind that 95% of the time it will be for digital music streamed from a NAS. However I would like to add a turntable at some point and also hook my TV up. Which out of the options gives me the best future proofing?

1) I'd still need a separate DAC with this setup.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/h...o-Preamplifier

2) Or this route I wouldn't need a separate DAC

http://nadelectronics.com/products/h...tal-Preamp-DAC

Is having the option of Bi-amplification of benefit with the LS50's?

3) Or would the All in one solution be better?

http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/nova22...-with-dac.html
If you are going to stream from your NAS, wouldn't you need a network enabled Preamp/DAC??
post #1212 of 1214 Unread Today, 11:04 AM

Quote:
If you are going to stream from your NAS, wouldn't you need a network enabled Preamp/DAC??
I was thinking of adding a sonos connect to it as I like the idea of being able to control my music library through a tablet/phone etc. Do the network enabled preamp/DAC's offer this too?

Also is there any downside to streaming wirelessly to something like the Connect as opposed having it hard wired to the source?
post #1213 of 1214 Unread Today, 11:39 AM

I want a DAC that can do DSD decoding and was considering the following setup, I already have the NAS, PC and Power AMP so what I need is some combo of DAC and Preamp..

Option 1
NAS -> NA8005 -> Tube Preamp -> Power Amp -> LS50

or

Option 2
PC -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD-DAC Preamp -> Power AMP -> LS50

Option 1 is more expensive, but will give me all the connection I need, I probably will keep tube preamp for a long time if it sounds good, down the road, replace NA8005 with another network enabled dac player maybe cheaper than replacing DAC/Preamp..

Option 2 will be cheaper, the drawback is no NAS support and not sure if Mytek will sound warm enough with LS50, and it will cost more down the road to replace DAC/Preamp compare to NAS DAC Player

Last edited by justthinking; Today at 11:44 AM.
post #1214 of 1214 Unread Today, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
I want a DAC that can do DSD decoding and was considering the following setup, I already have the NAS, PC and Power AMP so what I need is some combo of DAC and Preamp..

Option 1
NAS -> NA8005 -> Tube Preamp -> Power Amp -> LS50

or

Option 2
PC -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD-DAC Preamp -> Power AMP -> LS50

Option 1 is more expensive, but will give me all the connection I need, I probably will keep tube preamp for a long time if it sounds good, down the road, replace NA8005 with another network enabled dac player maybe cheaper than replacing DAC/Preamp..

Option 2 will be cheaper, the drawback is no NAS support and not sure if Mytek will sound warm enough with LS50, and it will cost more down the road to replace DAC/Preamp compare to NAS DAC Player
justhinking,

Have a look at post numbers 1187 and 1188 for Oppo and Parasound options.

These will also serve your digital music collection.

Don't forget to budget for a pair of decent subs as the LS50 will struggle with reproducing the lowest two octaves.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page