Forum Jump: 
 28Likes
post #1261 of 1277 Old 02-18-2015, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello:

Building a new HT and been looking at the LS50 for a while now.

HT would be composed of 3 LS50 for all fronts (L/R/C), 2 HTB2 subs and 3005SE satellites for wides, heights or Atmos (ceiling) and surrounds. MLP: 10 feet.

Sources: Denon X5200 or Pioneer SC-87 (haven´t decided yet) and Marantz 7055 amp, Oppo 103, Xbox One, Wii. Used equally for both movies and music.

Will the 3005 satellites pair well with the LS50s? Is the MLP appropiate for the LS50s or will they be forced too much?

Also, if I can´t get the third LS50, would I be better with no center and leaving the Right and Left handle it instead of an inferior speaker?

Finally, I don´t have space for stands so these would be sitting on top of Furniture, but at ear level. Would this diminish their quality?

Thanks!

Last edited by xhattan; 02-18-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1277 Old 02-18-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 56
You can order a single ls50 if needed.

As for height, 29 inch stands are recomended height. I would avoid putting them on furniture if possible. The speaker will resonate. You can attempt to isolate them but you are also dealing with defraction issues with a speaker sitting on a large surface.
post #1263 of 1277 Old 02-18-2015, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Little message to fellow LS50 owners... It is a favorite speaker of mine, and I have owned speakers 10 times the price. On my recently upgraded system I am using the speakers shown in my sig, but one thing I know is I keep the LS50. The speakers I am listening to now live a less guaranteed life around here. They are fun,but also over 3 times the price and at best marginally better.
The LS50 is a classic. A total giant killer. But you have to like analytics. If not, Kef offers the more restrained style they're known for elsewhere.

System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> Totem Element Fire
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> MusicalFidelity M1PWR -> Totem DreamCatcher
Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado PS500e
post #1264 of 1277 Old 02-19-2015, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
Hello:

Building a new HT and been looking at the LS50 for a while now.

HT would be composed of 3 LS50 for all fronts (L/R/C), 2 HTB2 subs and 3005SE satellites for wides, heights or Atmos (ceiling) and surrounds. MLP: 10 feet.

Sources: Denon X5200 or Pioneer SC-87 (haven´t decided yet) and Marantz 7055 amp, Oppo 103, Xbox One, Wii. Used equally for both movies and music.

Will the 3005 satellites pair well with the LS50s? Is the MLP appropiate for the LS50s or will they be forced too much?

Also, if I can´t get the third LS50, would I be better with no center and leaving the Right and Left handle it instead of an inferior speaker?

Finally, I don´t have space for stands so these would be sitting on top of Furniture, but at ear level. Would this diminish their quality?

Thanks!
The LS50 speakers are rated at a maximum continuous power of 100W, with 85 dB/W/m sensitivity. They're meant to be for near field listening and your distance of 10' away from the LS50 is will be an issue to reach 105dB peak. If you can reduce the distance to 9.25' and have them placed close to the room boundaries, it'll reach that peak of 105dB. Consider crossing over from the LS50 to the subs at say 100Hz to gain some additional headroom.

Email KEF if the 3005 egg satellites will match with the LS50. I got a positive response back from KEF in matching the E301 with the LS50.

The Denon X5200 has sufficient power to drive the LS50 in peak power demand in stereo mode and also in multi-channel surround.

Have a look at other Internet Direct (ID) sub companies rather than KEF. You'll get a lot more sound quality for the money. The ID sub companies make better subs than KEF. A few to consider include:

Rythmik
SVS
HSU
PSA
Seaton Sound - the SubMersive ($$$)
JTR - Captivator ($$$)

If you can't get a 3rd LS50 for the center speaker, consider the R-series from KEF, which has center speaker that can be purchased separately. The R-series have a higher sensitivity speakers (R300) available and if you can't reduce your listening distance, this might be the better option.
xhattan likes this.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #1265 of 1277 Old 02-19-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
The LS50 speakers are rated at a maximum continuous power of 100W, with 85 dB/W/m sensitivity. They're meant to be for near field listening and your distance of 10' away from the LS50 is will be an issue to reach 105dB peak. If you can reduce the distance to 9.25' and have them placed close to the room boundaries, it'll reach that peak of 105dB. Consider crossing over from the LS50 to the subs at say 100Hz to gain some additional headroom.

Email KEF if the 3005 egg satellites will match with the LS50. I got a positive response back from KEF in matching the E301 with the LS50.

The Denon X5200 has sufficient power to drive the LS50 in peak power demand in stereo mode and also in multi-channel surround.

Have a look at other Internet Direct (ID) sub companies rather than KEF. You'll get a lot more sound quality for the money. The ID sub companies make better subs than KEF. A few to consider include:

Rythmik
SVS
HSU
PSA
Seaton Sound - the SubMersive ($$$)
JTR - Captivator ($$$)

If you can't get a 3rd LS50 for the center speaker, consider the R-series from KEF, which has center speaker that can be purchased separately. The R-series have a higher sensitivity speakers (R300) available and if you can't reduce your listening distance, this might be the better option.
Thanks a lot pal. Very valuable information.

Actually I meant Budget limitation when I said that maybe I couldn´t get the third LS50 for center. Checked the R series and they are actually more expensive. Read in another thread that center speaker should be avoided when it is of inferior quality than your fronts. I have the 3005 center but even though it has served me well (the whole set has, this speakers are the best HTIB ever IMO, the Pro Cinemas, Logans and Klipsch don´t stand a chance against these) I feel the LS50 will overpower it, hence my inquiry as to let the fronts handle center too.

Thanks again.
post #1266 of 1277 Old 02-20-2015, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How much do you guys toe in?

KEF's diagrams in the manual suggest upto a ~45 deg toe in. I am getting a pretty good sound stage with no toe in and no port plugs, however my speakers are only about 5' apart tweeter to tweeter. Any wider and I will be pushing the cabinet up pretty close to walls (already only around ~12" between the sidewalls and speaker box and ~15" between the back wall and speaker box). The speakers are in sort of a cubby (area was the original coal fired kitchen of my 100+ year old house), however the woofers and 1/3 of the speakers stick out beyond the cubby and have no walls nearby. I am getting a great bass response from these speakers with this setup.

Note that this is my first time with speakers in this room (fairly new-to-us house) and any suggestions/comparisons would be welcome.
post #1267 of 1277 Old 02-21-2015, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Hello: Building a new HT and been looking at the LS50 for a while now. HT would be composed of 3 LS50 for all fronts (L/R/C), 2 HTB2 subs and 3005SE satellites for wides, heights or Atmos (ceiling) and surrounds. MLP: 10 feet. Sources: Denon X5200 or Pioneer SC-87 (haven´t decided yet) and Marantz 7055 amp, Oppo 103, Xbox One, Wii. Used equally for both movies and music. Will the 3005 satellites pair well with the LS50s? Is the MLP appropiate for the LS50s or will they be forced too much? Also, if I can´t get the third LS50, would I be better with no center and leaving the Right and Left handle it instead of an inferior speaker? Finally, I don´t have space for stands so these would be sitting on top of Furniture, but at ear level. Would this diminish their quality? Thanks!
I would go all the way and put LS50s all the way around! You will love it it, the sound will provide you with amaizing sound! For atmos you could use these KEF Ci200RR - THX Ultra
post #1268 of 1277 Old 02-22-2015, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
from the FWIW department, I've matched my LS50's with a KEF R200c and the tonal match is spot on.
post #1269 of 1277 Old 02-26-2015, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LS50 with Rouge Sphinx

I have had my LS50 for 1 year. Love them. Have been running with a Yamaha A-S500. Have been happy. But as always trying to go further. So now have a Rogue Sphinx. Sounds great...but the volume tired all the way and maxes out. Will not reach volume level that Yamaha could go if I tried. Rogue is 100w ; Yamaha is 85w. Any thoughts on this? Am I expecting something I should not? Not trying to hurt myself. Just have something in reserve for that special blast. I'm music only.
post #1270 of 1277 Old 02-26-2015, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvy111 View Post
I'm powering 7 ls50's with a denon x4000 and it plays extremely clean and as loud as I like in my 18' x 14' x 8' room, I doubt I'm playing it at reference levels but it's more than loud enough for me. My main listening position is 16' from the front speakers. I'm using a subwoofer with the ls50's crossed at 80hz, they will play to 80hz no problem.
Cool I am powering 7 LS50 with the Marantz SR7009 and it sound great ! My room is 11 x 12 x 9 much smaller. I sit only 6 feet from the front channels. I crossed them over at 80HZ as well using two small subs.
post #1271 of 1277 Old 02-26-2015, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
How much do you guys toe in?
35 degree for front channels
post #1272 of 1277 Old 03-02-2015, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Cool I am powering 7 LS50 with the Marantz SR7009 and it sound great ! My room is 11 x 12 x 9 much smaller. I sit only 6 feet from the front channels. I crossed them over at 80HZ as well using two small subs.

When are you adding the atmos speakers? I thought you had decided on which to add.

PSN: dagreeng
post #1273 of 1277 Old 03-02-2015, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Hello:

Thanks!
I've been saying for years, with Kef's you don't need a center channel. Just toe in the L and R so that they cross in front of the center listening position. That way you always hear the dialog coming from the screen (regardless of seating position), as oppose to hearing the dialog obviously coming from a center channel speaker below the screen. Sounds much better than any center channel IMO.
xhattan likes this.
post #1274 of 1277 Old 03-03-2015, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Dunno if I agree with Mike's suggestion above. I think it's a valid suggestion to at least test out and determine for yourself. But I will say that even with the center channel I can not tell it's there. That's how well the sounds blend together. In some setups I can distinctly tell a center channel is there and that can really take me out of the moment if you understand what I'm saying.

PSN: dagreeng
post #1275 of 1277 Unread 03-03-2015, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Center channels are a little off-topic, but I will give my opinion in short:

1) A well-setup 2-channel system will create a perfect phantom center for the main listening position (MLP). In music that has stuff panned into the center spot or in movies that have dialogue mixed into the center channel, there shouldn't be much to no difference between 2.1 or 3.1 systems. For the MLP that is.
2) Once you move away from the sweet spot (MLP), the effect will disappear gradually. Depending on the dimensions, with three persons in the audience the phantom center effect might not be audible for anyone but the one sitting on the MLP. Everyone else will hear the dialogue and other stuff mixed to the center coming from the speaker on their respective sides.
3) If you have a center channel, it should be matched to the other speakers so that the sound is as similar as possible. Without room correction (Audyssey etc), this would mean identical speakers or the dedicated center speaker of the very same family of speakers. Some people have reported decent success with different combinations, at least when using a room correction on their AVR's, as is should match the timbre of the speakers.
4) A great deal of audio comes through the center channel, if present. Considering that, it would be a shame if it wasn't at least up to the standards of the other speakers!

I have owned both 3.1 and 2.1 systems, all calibrated using Audyssey MultEq XT. My 3.1 system had a Wharfedale 10.2 + 10.CM combination and I was very glad with the results. That had much to do with our situation: we were two people watching TV/movies from various spots. We had a sofa and a dining table and we used both to watch videos, even at the same time. With just two speakers, I hadn't ever experienced a decent phantom center in that setting. The center channel made it all better as with it all listening positions had a clear center image in the audio! After moving to my own place, I changed to a 2.1 system. I now have two LS50's in my system and I have setup the whole room to work for the audio system. That means that no matter what I'm doing, I'm always in the center line of the speakers and I have treated my room a little. The phantom center effect makes both audio and video just as clear as my previous 3.1 system. Having experience from both worlds, I wouldn't buy a 3rd speaker for my current system/setup/living arrangement. In the remotely possible event that I'm moving together with someone, even start a family or just move to a bigger apartment where I expect to host movie/gaming parties for several people, I would then definitely get a third speaker to accommodate for several listening positions!

After writing this message I now realize that this much information was probably not needed by the people who posted about the center speakers. But since I wrote it and it might be of use to someone in the future, I'll post it anyways!
AUDIOgiant likes this.
post #1276 of 1277 Unread Today, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasisti View Post

2) Once you move away from the sweet spot (MLP), the effect will disappear gradually. Depending on the dimensions, with three persons in the audience the phantom center effect might not be audible for anyone but the one sitting on the MLP. Everyone else will hear the dialogue and other stuff mixed to the center coming from the speaker on their respective sides.
Not with the Kef Uni-Q and it's super wide sweet spot, when setup like I previously mentioned; I have mine setup that way and I can sit right in front of the left or right speaker and dialog still comes from the center of the screen. Dialog just appears to naturally come from the on-screen characters.
post #1277 of 1277 Unread Today, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post
Not with the Kef Uni-Q and it's super wide sweet spot, when setup like I previously mentioned; I have mine setup that way and I can sit right in front of the left or right speaker and dialog still comes from the center of the screen. Dialog just appears to naturally come from the on-screen characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasisti View Post

After writing this message I now realize that this much information was probably not needed by the people who posted about the center speakers. But since I wrote it and it might be of use to someone in the future, I'll post it anyways!
As I was the one that brought up this topic, I deeply appreciate your inputs.

I´ve decided NOT to buy a third LS50 for center channel, and instead I will use my 3005SE center speaker (has served me well for a couple of years) when necessary.

Best regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page