KEF LS50 Owners - Page 44 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 37Likes
post #1291 of 1316 Old 04-04-2015, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Man do I want the white and blue ones... High WAF factor, high wow factor, and killer sound...

How 'pokeable' are the drivers? I have cats, and will have kids in the next few years... are they firmer than a standard cone?

What home theatre surround sound avr would sound good with these? I have a Sherbourn Pa7-150 7 channel amp, and a PT7030 pre-amp, that good enough for these revealing speakers?

I want these so bad... Though I do like my Revel Concerta's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1316 Old 04-05-2015, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnydoggy View Post
Man do I want the white and blue ones... High WAF factor, high wow factor, and killer sound...

How 'pokeable' are the drivers? I have cats, and will have kids in the next few years... are they firmer than a standard cone?

What home theatre surround sound avr would sound good with these? I have a Sherbourn Pa7-150 7 channel amp, and a PT7030 pre-amp, that good enough for these revealing speakers?

No way would I have "open" speakers with cats. I have three cats.

In fact I'd be careful with speakers with grilles as they can use that as scratching posts, I leave the two audio rooms closed. I only allow them in the room when I'm in there.
skinnydoggy likes this.

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #1293 of 1316 Old 04-05-2015, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

compared to a standard dome tweeter there a bit more robust but I personally wouldn't tempt fate.
skinnydoggy likes this.
post #1294 of 1316 Old 04-05-2015, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I wouldn't worry about the cat or kids. In all my years in the business I've had exactly ZERO customers call me to replace a damaged speaker because of cats or kids.
skinnydoggy likes this.

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #1295 of 1316 Old 04-05-2015, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post
I wouldn't worry about the cat or kids. In all my years in the business I've had exactly ZERO customers call me to replace a damaged speaker because of cats or kids.
The problem is drivers for my speakers are no longer available (Kef and Celestion)

So I'm virtually paranoid when the cats are in the room, one cat jumping on the front of exposed speaker would result in £700 loss, or £3000 to buy speakers of the same quality now....for one busted driver.

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #1296 of 1316 Old 04-05-2015, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Blu-Tack takes care of any worries of my
18 lb cat knocking the LS50's to the ground.
skinnydoggy likes this.
post #1297 of 1316 Old 04-05-2015, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Good idea with the blue tack.

Is my amp good enough for the LS50's (Sherbourn PA7-150)? Any consumer level home theatre receivers go well with these?
post #1298 of 1316 Old 04-05-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Good idea with the blue tack.

Is my amp good enough for the LS50's (Sherbourn PA7-150)? Any consumer level home theatre receivers go well with these?
Your Sherbourn amp is a great one for these speakers.
post #1299 of 1316 Old 04-05-2015, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've read of other folks making custom covers for their LS50s, mainly for dust protection while not in use. But I guess it could apply to cats also.

My old cat (RIP) used to share my room when I had Maggies. She would just sit on the floor, in front of and between the speakers, in the sweet spot.

Last edited by jkhome; 04-05-2015 at 01:23 PM.
post #1300 of 1316 Old 04-05-2015, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi guys,
I had the KEF LS50 for a couple of months now and had thoroughly enjoyed them. I bought them used for a decent price. I had them setup with sub (SVS PC13U) crossed at 80hz and they sounded great.
Recently I tried listening them without sub and they sounded thin since the AVR was cutting off anything below 80hz. Thus, for the first time I set my speakers to Large effectively sending full range of freq to the speakers.
Everything was well till I tried Lil Wayne's Believe Me which has some really low freq around mid of the song. The woofers are vibrating like crazy, I supposed this is not an issue since they are working hard trying to reproduce these freq range. However, the left woofer was distorted at the point of causing noises which I believe is due to loose woofer.
Initially at 80hz, the woofer were not stressed at all, thus it's not an issue I noticed.

Now, i'm a bit concern if the left speaker is faulty by the look of it. on the other hand, I am definitely crossing them back at 80hz with sub where it sound best and at this setting, no distortion at all. Would this be an issue on long run assuming the woofer is loose and would degrade eventually?
Any advise if I plan to go for RMA, how would I do this since I bought them used without receipt. I do have the manual and warranty card though.

thanks in advance for any advise.
post #1301 of 1316 Old 04-05-2015, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 183
More than likely driver isn't loose. You just freaked out and drive it past it's mechanical limits. When mid bass drivers bottom out mechanically, they make a clanking sound. Don't do that anymore. You know the risks of saving a few bucks and buying used. (no warranty).

If you're into the hip hop deal, there are much better speakers for alot less that can boom/sizzle better than the LS50's.
post #1302 of 1316 Old 04-05-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post
More than likely driver isn't loose. You just freaked out and drive it past it's mechanical limits. When mid bass drivers bottom out mechanically, they make a clanking sound. Don't do that anymore. You know the risks of saving a few bucks and buying used. (no warranty).

If you're into the hip hop deal, there are much better speakers for alot less that can boom/sizzle better than the LS50's.
I understand what you are saying and that was my initial thought. however, this only happen on one out of 3 LS50, surely there's something going on with the one odd speaker. I tried playing freq tunes down to 10hz and can easily reproduce the issue with one speaker but not the other 2. the odd speaker starts to distort at 40hz and below.
All the reviews I had read stated zero distortion at high volume.
I do listen to all kind of music from Jazz, rock, pop to hip hop...surely LS50 should be able to handle them.
post #1303 of 1316 Old 04-06-2015, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexth77 View Post
.... I tried playing freq tunes down to 10hz and can easily reproduce the issue with one speaker but not the other 2. the odd speaker starts to distort at 40hz and below...
Why are you trying to force the LS50 speaker to reproduce signals that it's not been designed for? Did you not read the specifications in the owner's manual where the -3dB point is 80Hz? KEF's own white paper says the roll off starts at 100Hz. All you're doing is damaging the driver and no sane manufacturer will honor such warranty claims in such instances.

Quote:
..All the reviews I had read stated zero distortion at high volume.
I do listen to all kind of music from Jazz, rock, pop to hip hop...surely LS50 should be able to handle them.
Do you have a link where the professional reviewer says it's alright drive the LS50 beyond it's design limits? What was the average and peak dB that you're listening at?

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #1304 of 1316 Old 04-06-2015, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I understand what you are saying and that was my initial thought. however, this only happen on one out of 3 LS50, surely there's something going on with the one odd speaker. I tried playing freq tunes down to 10hz and can easily reproduce the issue with one speaker but not the other 2. the odd speaker starts to distort at 40hz and below.
All the reviews I had read stated zero distortion at high volume.
LS50 should cope with full range signal from CD's in a small room although you may stress them at higher spl and you may notice port noise. Using bass management will help in producing a clearer signal with lower distortion.

For movie soundtracks I'd run the LS50's bass managed, Trying to get LS50 to playback <40hz is asking too much especially 10hz you're just asking for trouble.

I haven't heard LS50 but I'd pair them up with a 10/12" sealed box, run the LS50 around 80/100hz and let a good quality subwoofer reproduce what the LS50 cannot.

Or replace LS50 with R300 as they have lower bass response, and you shouldn't need a subwoofer for 2 channel CD music, and safer to run full range (music only)

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #1305 of 1316 Old 04-06-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
LS50 should cope with full range signal from CD's in a small room although you may stress them at higher spl and you may notice port noise. Using bass management will help in producing a clearer signal with lower distortion.

For movie soundtracks I'd run the LS50's bass managed, Trying to get LS50 to playback <40hz is asking too much especially 10hz you're just asking for trouble.

I haven't heard LS50 but I'd pair them up with a 10/12" sealed box, run the LS50 around 80/100hz and let a good quality subwoofer reproduce what the LS50 cannot.

Or replace LS50 with R300 as they have lower bass response, and you shouldn't need a subwoofer for 2 channel CD music, and safer to run full range (music only)
+1, well stated
post #1306 of 1316 Old 04-06-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

Very well explained, TQ
That's how I would setup the LS50 with sub. If you follow my original problem statement, my only gripe is why would only 1 out of 3 produce distortion at 40hz. It's not an issue above 40hz for all speakers.
In fact, I'm so in love with the Uni-Q driver that I had just ordered a pair of R500 to replace my B&W as my main system. The LS50 is currently setup near field on my PC.
post #1307 of 1316 Old 04-06-2015, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Very well explained, TQ
That's how I would setup the LS50 with sub. If you follow my original problem statement, my only gripe is why would only 1 out of 3 produce distortion at 40hz. It's not an issue above 40hz for all speakers.
In fact, I'm so in love with the Uni-Q driver that I had just ordered a pair of R500 to replace my B&W as my main system. The LS50 is currently setup near field on my PC.
In my room the LS50's produce very noticeable (in music) output below 45hz and fall off pretty steeply after that (nothing below a 38hz test tone). The woofers do move quite a bit (and move a good amount of air out of the port) in "bass" heavy music at higher volumes and I have heard no distortion. This aligns quite similarly to Stereophile's in room measurements and combined mid bass/port measurements. I am also debating whether to add a sub(s), however since my Peachtree doesn't have bass management and I am going to make some changes to the room that may affect its acoustic response. I will probably hold off for now.

Any chance your amp/reciever is clipping the signal to the one speaker?

Last edited by burnsniper; 04-06-2015 at 12:13 PM.
post #1308 of 1316 Old 04-06-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
In my room the LS50's produce very noticeable (in music) output below 45hz and fall off pretty steeply after that (nothing below a 38hz test tone). The woofers do move quite a bit (and move a good amount of air out of the port) in "bass" heavy music at higher volumes and I have heard no distortion. This aligns quite similarly to Stereophile's in room measurements and combined mid bass/port measurements. I am also debating whether to add a sub(s), however since my Peachtree doesn't have bass management and I am going to make some changes to the room that may affect its acoustic response. I will probably hold off for now.

yes, your experience matches to mine with the exception of one speaker which distort (i am playing the tune at -45 vol which is relative low), and yes, they are pushing a lot of air . In fact, my AVR (denon X4000) setup the LS40 to be at 40hz crossover after running Audessey.
How do i check the clipping?
post #1309 of 1316 Old 04-06-2015, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
yes, your experience matches to mine with the exception of one speaker which distort (i am playing the tune at -45 vol which is relative low), and yes, they are pushing a lot of air . In fact, my AVR (denon X4000) setup the LS40 to be at 40hz crossover after running Audessey.
How do i check the clipping?
Not an expert here but have you tried the following:

1. Moving the distorting speaker to a different channel - If a different speaker distorts on the same channel as the original, then it may be the amp.
2. Playing only one channel (connected) with the distorted and non distorted speaker - If the speaker does not distort with only one channel connected and playing, perhaps the amp cannot handle a low ohm signal without clipping.
post #1310 of 1316 Old 04-07-2015, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post

If you're running standmounts in a 2 channel hifi (that obviously lacks bass management/high pass) you have two options

a) Buy a subwoofer with a high pass function, and go from amp pre-out to sub, out from the sub, into the amp amplifier inputs
b) The same a a) but if your amp lacks pre-outs or power amplifier input, then go speaker level amp out to sub, then onto speakers
c) Buy a dedicated high pass crossover, Outlaw ICBM-1 or similar that sits between pre-amp and poweramplifier.

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #1311 of 1316 Old 04-07-2015, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Guys, I need to share a story about my 50s. First time around, I started off with a Rega Brio-R...which is an amp, that worked well with a few smaller speakers before the KEFs. The pairing sounded "good"...but I suspected the 50s were capable of more. Everything I read, pointed toward POWER to bring out their best.

I really wanted to put a pair of Wyred mAMPS on those puppies...and see what the pairing could do. But I started to read great things about Hegel IAs, and that sounded like it would be a legit pairing as well. Started with a used H-70, and then my dealer offered me a good price to try the then-new H-80. It was maybe slightly better than the Brio; but the speakers still didn't move me.

Yes...they were technically very good; they seemed to me, like the perfect transducers. They would spit out, exactly what you fed in; almost as if they couldn't be outclassed by electronics upstream. But I still wasn't "involved"; I didn't feel them pulling me in. I had a 10wpc 6V6-based tube IA...and never in a million years, did I ever think about pairing it with the LS-50s. In fact...I didn't have any place to really put it; so even though I liked the unit very much, and therefore just kept it around...I decided it was finally time to let it go to a good home.

That's how it ended up on the KEFs; because I just needed to make sure it was still in good working order, before I put it up for sale. I turned it on...expecting to hear a super-thin and anemic presentation; and was truly blown away by what I heard instead. The sound, was the best...of the 3 amps I tried; and you're talking 2, well-reviewed SS units. I held on to that tube IA, a little longer; but eventually...all audiophiles must move forward (oh wait, that's sharks). So I moved on, from both; but having learned a valuable lesson.

So the point of the story is...mate your LS-50s with a tube IA, right? Well, sure...that's fine; but the real point is this: I now have another pair, in the oh-so-fabulous White/Blue; and this time...I did slap a pair of mAMPS on them. And this...beats even that IA! Wow; fabulous! Power, control...but so smooth, and yes "involving". I took the Oppo HA-1 out of my Main room (when I happily supplanted it with an Auralic Vega)...and thought it would be the perfect foil, to act as DAC/pre-amp. Man...I would HIGHLY recommend, Wyred mAMPS mated to LS-50s.

Enjoy

District Account Representative - Mid-Atlantic
Theater Max, LLC

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #1312 of 1316 Old 04-08-2015, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Guys, I need to share a story about my 50s. First time around, I started off with a Rega Brio-R...which is an amp, that worked well with a few smaller speakers before the KEFs. The pairing sounded "good"...but I suspected the 50s were capable of more. Everything I read, pointed toward POWER to bring out their best.

I really wanted to put a pair of Wyred mAMPS on those puppies...and see what the pairing could do. But I started to read great things about Hegel IAs, and that sounded like it would be a legit pairing as well. Started with a used H-70, and then my dealer offered me a good price to try the then-new H-80. It was maybe slightly better than the Brio; but the speakers still didn't move me.

Yes...they were technically very good; they seemed to me, like the perfect transducers. They would spit out, exactly what you fed in; almost as if they couldn't be outclassed by electronics upstream. But I still wasn't "involved"; I didn't feel them pulling me in. I had a 10wpc 6V6-based tube IA...and never in a million years, did I ever think about pairing it with the LS-50s. In fact...I didn't have any place to really put it; so even though I liked the unit very much, and therefore just kept it around...I decided it was finally time to let it go to a good home.

That's how it ended up on the KEFs; because I just needed to make sure it was still in good working order, before I put it up for sale. I turned it on...expecting to hear a super-thin and anemic presentation; and was truly blown away by what I heard instead. The sound, was the best...of the 3 amps I tried; and you're talking 2, well-reviewed SS units. I held on to that tube IA, a little longer; but eventually...all audiophiles must move forward (oh wait, that's sharks). So I moved on, from both; but having learned a valuable lesson.

So the point of the story is...mate your LS-50s with a tube IA, right? Well, sure...that's fine; but the real point is this: I now have another pair, in the oh-so-fabulous White/Blue; and this time...I did slap a pair of mAMPS on them. And this...beats even that IA! Wow; fabulous! Power, control...but so smooth, and yes "involving". I took the Oppo HA-1 out of my Main room (when I happily supplanted it with an Auralic Vega)...and thought it would be the perfect foil, to act as DAC/pre-amp. Man...I would HIGHLY recommend, Wyred mAMPS mated to LS-50s.

Enjoy
I know someone who tried a Hegal SS integrated with Kef Reference and did not find them a great match. That was a surprise to me as Hegal seems highly regarded but now seeing a second datapoint. Wonder why?
post #1313 of 1316 Old 04-08-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
I know someone who tried a Hegal SS integrated with Kef Reference and did not find them a great match. That was a surprise to me as Hegal seems highly regarded but now seeing a second datapoint. Wonder why?
Which model Ref?

Theater Max, LLC

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #1314 of 1316 Old 04-09-2015, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Which model Ref?
I was wrong, it was the LS50s also. He is still waiting on Ref 3s.
post #1315 of 1316 Old 04-10-2015, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just received my LS50s, was wondering how far I should insert the foam plug? My speakers are about 20cm away from the back wall, so I've used the "ring" roam described in the 2nd scenario in the manual. For those of you using the foam plug, how far should it go into the bass port? Right now I have about half of the plug inside the tunnel and half outside, and it seems to be a bit difficult to get the whole plug in.

Denon X4100W, KEF LS50, KEF T301c, KEF T101, AT 44-DA, Sunfire HRS-10
LG 55UF8500, PS3 slim, Himedia M3 Android box
post #1316 of 1316 Unread Today, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys...I just also posted this in the KEF owners thread; and thought I'd share here too:

Guys...I'll also post this in the LS-50 thread; but I'm going to be moving a barely used pair, of White/Blue LS-50s in perfect condition.

I got them, maybe a month ago (my 2nd time with a pair)...from an authorized dealer; and they have been just outstanding...in a second system of Oppo HA-1, as DAC and pre-amp, driving Wyred mAMP monos. With all the hype surrounding ScanSonic (Raidho's baby-bro), I wanted to...and got the opportunity to try a pair, of the little MB-1 stand-mounts. Are they better than the LS-50s; no. Here's how I put it, in the ScanSonic thread:

...the LS-50 and MB-1 are very different. So comparing them, to call one "better" than the other; is an apples and oranges thing (not to mention, the ScanSonic is 70% more expensive) . Someone would have to tell me, what their idea of "better" is; and then maybe I could say "well...this one did that better than the other, IMO".

Because I like them...have KEF Ref 1s in the main room; and like variety...they stay.

So there you have it. Ref 1s are breaking-in, on the main rig; so I'll let the fabulous (and beautiful. I had Black the first time around...of course; but the White is stunning) LS-50s go to a good home. Not sure what the going rate is; I'll check. But in the meantime, if you're interested...send me a PM with an offer.

Theater Max, LLC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page