KEF LS50 Owners - Page 46 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #1351 of 1361 Old 05-07-2015, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
.......I think the LS50 are the best speakers ever produced, dollar for dollar, and shame many far more expensive designs with their utter accuracy and their ability to be fun.
Agreed imagine a room with LS-50 all around

So here is the damage for a room full of KEFS

- 22 KEF LS50 $16,499.89
- 6 KEF Ci200RR-THX Ultimate In-Ceiling Speaker $4,799.94
- 4 Subs KEF R400b $6,799.96

Or we could go all in wall and all in ceiling but then there would be no option to have them in a circle

Last edited by wse; 05-07-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1361 Old 05-07-2015, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
California
Uhh; that will be a hike

SYSTEMS-
#1: Aurender N100 > Auralic Vega > Wyred4Sound STP > Merrill Audio THOR > KEF Reference 1s
#2: C.A.P.S. > NuPrime IDA-16 > Wyred4Sound mAMPS > ScanSonic MB-1s
post #1353 of 1361 Old 05-07-2015, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I sold my M-DAC and looking to possibly pickup the Oppo HA-1 or something else up to $1,500. What else are you people using?

I am temporarily using just the built-in DAC on the Asus motherboard in my PC and the LS50s are not happy...
post #1354 of 1361 Old 05-08-2015, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgerman View Post
I asked this question on the KEF general forum but got no replies, so I will ask here. Many here have a LS50/Sub setup. Did you ever consider the KEF R500? To those who have heard the KEF R500, how does it compare to the LS50?
I own the R500s, which I originally purchased to serve my 2ch setup in my livingroom. I recently rearranged the livingroom and the R500 didnt fit in a logical place so I put them downstairs for front L/R in my HT setup. I bought a pair of LS50 today with the thought that they would either serve as a great set of speakers for my 2ch listening upstairs, or they would be a nice addition to the HT setup downstairs.

Having listened for a few hours I am really torn. I feel that for the frequencies that the LS50 can reproduce, it somehow sounds better than the R500. The R500 digs much deeper though, and the LS50 can feel somewhat hollow for certain genres of music. I honestly don't know what to do now as the LS50 have greatly exceeded my expectations. I do much prefer the R500 aesthetics, and I think that if you listen to skrillex or pipe organ music you will need a subwoofer no matter which speaker you end up using.

Hope that helps.
post #1355 of 1361 Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
LS 50 or R200c as center channel if cost is same? FRs are LS50s
post #1356 of 1361 Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakenergy View Post
LS 50 or R200c as center channel if cost is same? FRs are LS50s
Hi nakenergy,

If you plan on using state of the art room equalization (REQ) algorithms for the front left, center and front right speakers, then going with R200c + LS50 is doable. This is because the REQ will try and equalize each speaker in the room to a target curve.

If you don't plan on using REQ, then making the front sound stage (front left, center and front right) identical is a smarter move. The reason being that during panning sequences within the sound track it would be smoother since they are identical speakers. I.e. you would not notice tonal differences between the front left, center and front right that could be distracting.

Personally, would go with 3xLS50 for the front sound stage.

Note that the R200c has a lower -3dB point (can crossover at a lower frequency), better efficiency of 87dB/W/m, higher power handling ability (max power of 150W), higher SPL of 117dB and a lower vertical profile to fit below a TV. If these are important to you.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8 (on order)
post #1357 of 1361 Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

If I ever do a dedicated room with in walls so that I can have 28 speakers and four subs here is what I would use.

Total = $40,999
post #1358 of 1361 Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Or I could just use these Ci200RR-THX Ultimate In-Ceiling Speaker all around 28 speakers & four subs Ci3160RLb-THX Subwoofer In-Wall Ultra2/Select2

For $26,399.68

post #1359 of 1361 Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Or I could just use these Ci200RR-THX Ultimate In-Ceiling Speaker all around 28 speakers & four subs Ci3160RLb-THX Subwoofer In-Wall Ultra2/Select2

For $26,399.68

I don't see what the problem is....

lol j/k.

Those are beautiful in-wall speakers, tho. No doubt about that.
post #1360 of 1361 Old Today, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Hi nakenergy,

If you plan on using state of the art room equalization (REQ) algorithms for the front left, center and front right speakers, then going with R200c + LS50 is doable. This is because the REQ will try and equalize each speaker in the room to a target curve.

If you don't plan on using REQ, then making the front sound stage (front left, center and front right) identical is a smarter move. The reason being that during panning sequences within the sound track it would be smoother since they are identical speakers. I.e. you would not notice tonal differences between the front left, center and front right that could be distracting.

Note that the R200c has a lower -3dB point (can crossover at a lower frequency), better efficiency of 87dB/W/m, higher power handling ability (max power of 150W), higher SPL of 117dB and a lower vertical profile to fit below a TV. If these are important to you.
[QUOTE]If you plan on using state of the art room equalization (REQ) algorithms for the front left, center and front right speakers, then going with R200c + LS50 is doable. This is because the REQ will try and equalize each speaker in the room to a target curve.

Note that the R200c has a lower -3dB point (can crossover at a lower frequency), better efficiency of 87dB/W/m, higher power handling ability (max power of 150W), higher SPL of 117dB and a lower vertical profile to fit below a TV. If these are important to you./QUOTE]

Thanks Steveting99. I am not planning to do REQ and have no issues with vertical profile although I will have to place the LS 50 horizontally. I do think there could be an advantage with R200c as it has additional drivers than the LS50. Anyone with R200c care to chip in? Any idea where I can get one single LS50 priced better than KEFdirect?
post #1361 of 1361 Old Today, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 361
[quote=nakenergy;34161402]
Quote:

Note that the R200c has a lower -3dB point (can crossover at a lower frequency), better efficiency of 87dB/W/m, higher power handling ability (max power of 150W), higher SPL of 117dB and a lower vertical profile to fit below a TV. If these are important to you./QUOTE]

Thanks Steveting99. I am not planning to do REQ and have no issues with vertical profile although I will have to place the LS 50 horizontally. I do think there could be an advantage with R200c as it has additional drivers than the LS50. Anyone with R200c care to chip in? Any idea where I can get one single LS50 priced better than KEFdirect?
I have a Kef 4 driver center speaker I much preferred it over the Kef 2 driver center speaker (similar design to LS50)

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page