Forum Jump: 
 171Likes

post #1531 of 2283 Old 11-27-2015, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I will be purchasing a set of 5 LS50's... one major question

I have a Marantz SR6009, would it be a big upgrade to purchase an Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2? Does it really make that big of a difference?

If I do, I hope it doesn't require a 20A circuit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 2283 Old 11-27-2015, 02:40 PM

Oh, and my vote is black and blue, they pack a punch hahaha get it? Seriously though, epic combination
post #1533 of 2283 Old 11-27-2015, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Black and blue. Matches your gear.

post #1534 of 2283 Old 11-27-2015, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 1146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl View Post
Black and blue. Matches your gear.
I know; so it should be a no-brainer, right? But Red is just so...damn...Red! Red speakers!!

FOUNDER - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective)
post #1535 of 2283 Old 11-27-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked: 720
I've seen those red ones in person, and while I'd never drive a red car, have red appliances, or live in a red house....those look GREAT! The dealer who had them out has a matching red turntable sitting in between them, and it's a gorgeous looking setup.

Looking at your photos, the red ones really light up the place. They'll be a great conversation starter, which you can end in a moment's notice by just demonstrating just what they can do!

Last edited by KenM10759; 11-27-2015 at 06:06 PM.
post #1536 of 2283 Old 11-27-2015, 08:15 PM

I thought the red clashed with the wall color... they look cool, but not for a home theater setup. You'd always be distracted by the red... black blue, 100 percent, and the matte is amazing...
post #1537 of 2283 Old 11-27-2015, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Go for Black...definitely black. Reds are cool...they scream "Look at me!"...but I think they'll always clash color-wise with the majority of rooms and setups. Plus I think it'll affect your ability to resell them in the future. Though you may never need to so that might be moot point. =P
post #1538 of 2283 Old 11-28-2015, 02:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As a former pro photographer I feel I had to develop a keen sense of colors and how they work together. I respectfully disagree with the notion that those red speakers clash with that wall color. You find reds and yellows together in many designs.

In person I find that red to be very warm and playful, not overly bold, cold or "in your face" objectionable. I think KEF nailed it!
post #1539 of 2283 Old 11-28-2015, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOgiant View Post
Go for Black...definitely black. Reds are cool...they scream "Look at me!"...but I think they'll always clash color-wise with the majority of rooms and setups. Plus I think it'll affect your ability to resell them in the future. Though you may never need to so that might be moot point. =P
CD never selling something LMAO
Personally I don't care for audio equipment that stands out against everything else. The only exception would be speaker cabinets with a dark wood like walnut or mocha. So my vote is for black
post #1540 of 2283 Old 11-28-2015, 07:57 AM

So everyone; thanks for the votes and feedback so far (although almost NO ONE has done as I suggested...which is to like, either the Black post or Red post. Just easier to keep track that way )

But it hasn't been that close; Black probably leads, 2 to 1...if not better. Couple of thoughts:

1) The wall-color and decorating of that room; will change, as soon as I find the energy. Right now...it's like a non-descript, green-ish/brown brown-ish/green, that I never really cared for. I'm thinking, more of a grey-ish/blue blue-ish grey...and doing a minimal, Zen-like thing for the Bedroom. So...probably even more ammo, for the Black vote. But...

2) I'm not that worried...about how well they "match". Sure...I try to avoid, mixing Black boxes with Silver or White ones; but in a secondary system like this, and with unique one-off speakers such as these. I just want to keep the pair, that will least likely make me wish I'd kept the other...lol. I have no WAF btw; didn't have it, when I had a wife...and now, I don't have a wife, much less a wife-factor

3) "These" speakers...might not stay, with this gear; and/or...this gear, may change at some point. As OD_D, so helpfully pointed out; my house, is like a revolving door of equipment...lol (although I am trying to put a stop to that; and...I think the Auralic Aries Mini, NuPrime IDA-8, and LS-50s are going to be a killer, little set-up! "Worth" keeping intact, even if it ends up...in another room somewhere)

4) While I am leaning Frosted Black at this point...they have a pro and con (other than the matching thing). Pro...the Matte finish, is bad-ass; something you can't really tell from the pics (and I'm not sure, how well I could have captured it anyway). But if you've seen them...it is very cool. Con...they don't really "pop", at all. If you look at the pics; I hadn't planned, to use the flash at all. But without it...man; it was hard, to even make out a contrast in the Black/Blue pair; pretty understated.

Maybe I should keep the Black/Blue for use; and just display the Red ones...like art, lol

post #1541 of 2283 Old 11-28-2015, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
...As OD_D, so helpfully pointed out; my house, is like a revolving door of equipment...lol (although I am trying to put a stop to that; and...I think the Auralic Aries Mini, NuPrime IDA-8, and LS-50s are going to be a killer, little set-up! "Worth" keeping intact, even if it ends up...in another room somewhere)
It sounds more and more like you have both the means and reasons to keep both sets. =P
post #1542 of 2283 Old 11-28-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 606
I don't think I personally would want bright colored speakers. Wonder if it would distract from actually listening rather then just staring at them...lol

LG OLED65E6 | Marantz AV8802A | Marantz MM8077 | Panasonic DMP-UB900 | PS Audio PerfectWave P3 | B&W CM9 | B&W CM5 | Dual JL Audio Fathom f112
Maingear Drift Z170 GTX 1080 HTPC | BDI Mirage 8227 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Synology DS916+ | TEAC UD-503 | Focal Solo6 Be | Vizio P50-C1
post #1543 of 2283 Old 11-29-2015, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
I don't think I personally would want bright colored speakers. Wonder if it would distract from actually listening rather then just staring at them...lol
And who among us doesn't already stare at the more common looking speakers we have?
post #1544 of 2283 Old 12-01-2015, 04:03 PM
TWD
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Is anyone running these with an Anthem AVR. Comments?

Has anyone compared these to the Martin Logan 35s?

Thanks

TWD
post #1545 of 2283 Old 12-04-2015, 07:11 AM

So...I'm not a 1000% sure yet; and I may live to regret it. But I guess I'm leaning, toward keeping the Frosted Black...and moving the Racing Red.

If anyone is interested...in saving me AudiogoN fees and the hassle of posting it; PM. NEVER PLAYED; unpacked (with white gloves), static display...re-packed.

Last edited by CDLehner; 12-04-2015 at 07:18 AM.
post #1546 of 2283 Old 12-06-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnydoggy View Post
I will be purchasing a set of 5 LS50's... one major question

I have a Marantz SR6009, would it be a big upgrade to purchase an Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2? Does it really make that big of a difference?

If I do, I hope it doesn't

require a 20A circuit
So I did end up finding an Emotiva XPA-3 for 500 $CDN . Not a bad price, so worth the risk. Unlike all you lucky US peeps, Kef decided to give us Canadians a crappy BF deal of a 'free pair of M400 headphones'. Yay. Thanks Kef. So, gonna have to wait a bit longer because I'm not very good at paying full price, especially when I know LS50's d occasionally go on sale. Guess I'll wait and see if they give a discount on Boxing Day
post #1547 of 2283 Old 12-06-2015, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnydoggy View Post
So I did end up finding an Emotiva XPA-3 for 500 $CDN . Not a bad price, so worth the risk. Unlike all you lucky US peeps, Kef decided to give us Canadians a crappy BF deal of a 'free pair of M400 headphones'. Yay. Thanks Kef. So, gonna have to wait a bit longer because I'm not very good at paying full price, especially when I know LS50's d occasionally go on sale. Guess I'll wait and see if they give a discount on Boxing Day
Might want to PM CDLehner (the post above yours) has he'll have a few extra LS50s that is looking for a good home.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #1548 of 2283 Old 12-06-2015, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys,

Been mulling over replacing my Q300s - at first I wanted to stay within the same price range roughly and was going to grab some B&W 685 S2s. However, on further thought, I am willing to pay a bit more if the quality is there. I've heard great things about the LS50 as a huge step up, although I'm also interested in the R300.

Thoughts?
post #1549 of 2283 Old 12-06-2015, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
New LS50 owner

Hi! I have spent hours reading through all posts, on Youtube, etc. and finally thought I would seek help. Even after doing quite a bit of research, I am not sure that I am getting far enough ahead and thought I would ask for help. My previous system was Mark Levinson amp, pre-amp, cd processor and CD transport and Martin Logan Aerius (at the time sensible for a NYC apartment). I learned about the imprudence of having such a heavy amp when after years of joy, something went wrong with my system and the amp was too heavy to ship. I donated the system to charity when I moved. The days since I lived for the next issue of Stereophile have passed and I have been listening to music through iTunes on an iMac with good headphones and Audioengine speakers. The pleasure of not having to listen to all the songs in an album or CD are considerable but I do have a large collection of records and CD and now iTunes music. My dream has been to have a completely A rated Stereophile system. With the LS50s rated A, this is possible and I bought a pair of the red speakers which fit great with my new decor and Bell'O stands and a turntable (I am not counting this in my dream A-rated system). Now for the hard part, I want to be able to listen to the CDs and LPs but also iTunes. I figured I need a good integrated amplifier (I learned here that if I am looking for good sound, an AV receiver is not the way to go), DAC, CD player and possibly phono amp. In a moment of desperation I purchased the USB REGEN although I am not exactly sure of what it does. I was considering the Oppo 105 and this seemed a good match but based on certain comments I am reluctant to get the Oppo (I don;t look at Blue rays). So my choices, which already stretch my budget, for an integrated amp are:
Ayre Acoustics AX-7e or Bel Canto C7R or theT+A Power Plant Balanced. I am concerned that the tube-driven Leben CS300 and the PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium may not be enough for LS50s (mainly for base). I see that many people here like the B-rated Cambridge Audio Azur 851A, Rogue Sphinx and Peachtree Audio nova. Finally, the Parasound halo seems intriguing since I read that KEF uses their amps for demonstration of the speaker. I may need to give up on the A-rated system dream but I would be indebted for any advise. I do not have any stores nearby that carry LS50 and those far do not carry any of the A-rated int amps. For D/A I am favoring the NAD M51 Direct Digital or the less expensive Cambridge Audio Azur 851D but I think I may not need it if I get the NAD Masters Series M50 Digital Music Player. Help! Michael
post #1550 of 2283 Old 12-07-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Oboe, you could go with the Parasound JC 2 preamp, JC 3 phono stage, and JC 1 mono blocks as I have done, and that would all be Stereophile A-rated, but each JC 1 is a 60 pound monster and you'd need two. In a secondary setup, I drive a pair of LS50s with a Parasound A 21 with excellent results. In that setup, the source is balanced output direct from an Oppo BDP-105 to the amp. Music on Blu-ray can be exceptional; try Legends of Jazz.

db
post #1551 of 2283 Old 12-07-2015, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reading through the back posts - it seems the REL T5 (or zero??), SVS (SB|PB)-1000, 2000 series, or a PSA S15 are the best choices for subs to match the LS50. Is this still the best route?

In my application, i'll be using them for both music and movie as i have 3 LS50s across the front (unbelievable sound btw!!). I have a fairly large room at 15x20x9, so I was considering going with 2 of whatever I go with. Initially, it was 2 T5s, but I'm wondering if there would be a better choice with SVS. Thoughts?

Edit: Then again... I'm not so sure about the 8" drivers on the REL. The SVSs both have 12s for about the same price. Heck, I might beable to get away with 1 SB-2000??

Last edited by martinman; 12-07-2015 at 12:28 PM.
post #1552 of 2283 Old 12-07-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oboe View Post
Hi! I have spent hours reading through all posts, on Youtube, etc. and finally thought I would seek help. Even after doing quite a bit of research, I am not sure that I am getting far enough ahead and thought I would ask for help. My previous system was Mark Levinson amp, pre-amp, cd processor and CD transport and Martin Logan Aerius (at the time sensible for a NYC apartment). I learned about the imprudence of having such a heavy amp when after years of joy, something went wrong with my system and the amp was too heavy to ship. I donated the system to charity when I moved. The days since I lived for the next issue of Stereophile have passed and I have been listening to music through iTunes on an iMac with good headphones and Audioengine speakers. The pleasure of not having to listen to all the songs in an album or CD are considerable but I do have a large collection of records and CD and now iTunes music. My dream has been to have a completely A rated Stereophile system. With the LS50s rated A, this is possible and I bought a pair of the red speakers which fit great with my new decor and Bell'O stands and a turntable (I am not counting this in my dream A-rated system). Now for the hard part, I want to be able to listen to the CDs and LPs but also iTunes. I figured I need a good integrated amplifier (I learned here that if I am looking for good sound, an AV receiver is not the way to go), DAC, CD player and possibly phono amp. In a moment of desperation I purchased the USB REGEN although I am not exactly sure of what it does. I was considering the Oppo 105 and this seemed a good match but based on certain comments I am reluctant to get the Oppo (I don;t look at Blue rays). So my choices, which already stretch my budget, for an integrated amp are:
Ayre Acoustics AX-7e or Bel Canto C7R or theT+A Power Plant Balanced. I am concerned that the tube-driven Leben CS300 and the PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium may not be enough for LS50s (mainly for base). I see that many people here like the B-rated Cambridge Audio Azur 851A, Rogue Sphinx and Peachtree Audio nova. Finally, the Parasound halo seems intriguing since I read that KEF uses their amps for demonstration of the speaker. I may need to give up on the A-rated system dream but I would be indebted for any advise. I do not have any stores nearby that carry LS50 and those far do not carry any of the A-rated int amps. For D/A I am favoring the NAD M51 Direct Digital or the less expensive Cambridge Audio Azur 851D but I think I may not need it if I get the NAD Masters Series M50 Digital Music Player. Help! Michael
Michael, I've owned LS-50s...at 4 different times; and driven them, probably, with 10 or more amps.

I know you're hung up on the "A-rated" thing; but I'm sure a lot of 'philes, including myself, will tell you...without context, it all means very little. Synergy is of utmost importance; and just putting this A-rated component, with that one; does not necessarily, an "A-rated" system make.

Let me comment...on some of the models you've mentioned. The Ayre AX-7e, is an outstanding IA! I don't think I ever had it on the a pair of 50s; I had it...for a spell...on my $11k PMC Twenty 26s. It's 60/120, but it is a little soft; so it might not be the best match with 50s...though it certainly might be as well.

I'm not a huge fan, of Bel Canto or T+A kit; and I agree...the 12wpc EL84-based Leben, might also not cut the mustard (though, to my surprise; after trying a few mid-powered IAs...I threw a 10wpc, 4 x 6V6 based IA on the 50s once...and they absolutely sang!). The PL ProLogue Premium, OTOH; is a whole, other story! That is a beautiful piece, and its 35/40/44/48wpc...will kick the living sh*t, out of the 50s

The guy, who bought my Titanium Grey set...was going to try pairing them, with a Rogue Sphinx; and that seems like a solid choice to me.

There are other contenders, as well; but I think the final decision...if you can't audition...will come down to listening preferences, room size, etc. I'd be happy, to offer more advice, info, opinions...either publicly or privately.

Good luck,
CD

BTW...this set-up, sounds better than you could imagine! KEF Owners Thread

Last edited by CDLehner; 12-07-2015 at 12:36 PM.
post #1553 of 2283 Old 12-07-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Oboe, you could go with the Parasound JC 2 preamp, JC 3 phono stage, and JC 1 mono blocks as I have done, and that would all be Stereophile A-rated, but each JC 1 is a 60 pound monster and you'd need two. In a secondary setup, I drive a pair of LS50s with a Parasound A 21 with excellent results. In that setup, the source is balanced output direct from an Oppo BDP-105 to the amp. Music on Blu-ray can be exceptional; try Legends of Jazz.

db
Hey DBPHD:

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. The Parasound JC1, JC2 and JC3 is a sublime combo (congratulations!) but at over $15,000! It is out of my league. Also, I learned my lesson with the Mark Levinson 331. Only equipment that is easy to move for me from now on. That amp was massive. The Parasound A 21 is financially within reach (thought I would have to buy a pre-amp). Though praised by the Absolute Sound, the A21 is not rated by Stereophile (I could not even find a review by them) which spoils my daffy "dream." Of note is the recently reviewed Halo Integrated amp at $2495. Hmmm! It will almost certainly not be rated A since Reichert kept harping on its "don't-worry-now mellow" "personality although "it was never boring," "perceiving the Halo as tracking the input signal pretty close to the feeling of master tape." (which seems good to me). "It was neutral" (okay, then), adding "it was never too anything" (backhanded complement?). Comparing its effect on the LS 50, he reports that "it replicated sonic qualities of its input signal but it wasn't as enjoyable or as emotionally engaging" as the Magnapan 7. Darn! I really appreciate your endorsement of the Oppo - BDP 105. Reconsidering it again. Thanks also for the tip for the Masters of Jazz blue ray. Can't wait!

Michael
post #1554 of 2283 Old 12-07-2015, 05:42 PM

Hey DBPHD:

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. The Parasound JC1, JC2 and JC3 is a sublime combo (congratulations!) but at over $15,000! It is out of my league. Also, I learned my lesson with the Mark Levinson 331. Only equipment that is easy to move for me from now on. That amp was massive. The Parasound A 21 is financially within reach (thought I would have to buy a pre-amp). Though praised by the Absolute Sound, the A21 is not rated by Stereophile (I could not even find a review by them) which spoils my daffy "dream." Of note is the recently reviewed Halo Integrated amp at $2495. Hmmm! It will almost certainly not be rated A since Reichert kept harping on its "don't-worry-now mellow" "personality although "it was never boring," "perceiving the Halo as tracking the input signal pretty close to the feeling of master tape." (which seems good to me). "It was neutral" (okay, then), adding "it was never too anything" (backhanded complement?). Comparing its effect on the LS 50, he reports that "it replicated sonic qualities of its input signal but it wasn't as enjoyable or as emotionally engaging" as the Magnapan 7. Darn! I really appreciate your endorsement of the Oppo - BDP 105. Reconsidering it again. Thanks also for the tip for the Masters of Jazz blue ray. Can't wait! Michael

Michael
post #1555 of 2283 Old 12-07-2015, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinman View Post
Reading through the back posts - it seems the REL T5 (or zero??), SVS (SB|PB)-1000, 2000 series, or a PSA S15 are the best choices for subs to match the LS50. Is this still the best route?

In my application, i'll be using them for both music and movie as i have 3 LS50s across the front (unbelievable sound btw!!). I have a fairly large room at 15x20x9, so I was considering going with 2 of whatever I go with. Initially, it was 2 T5s, but I'm wondering if there would be a better choice with SVS. Thoughts?

Edit: Then again... I'm not so sure about the 8" drivers on the REL. The SVSs both have 12s for about the same price. Heck, I might beable to get away with 1 SB-2000??
The LS50 roll starts at 100Hz according to KEF's own white paper and down by 3dB at 80Hz, so you would want to get a sub that can at least play up to or beyond this point.

Getting good bass response in a room is hard. How clean those low frequencies reproduction are going to be will very much depend on:
(a) placement of the subs;
(b) location of the Main Listening Position (MLP);
(c) room volume as the low frequencies will 'see' and fill in all three dimensions;
(d) sub driver size and excursion limits;
(e) desired Sound Pressure Level (SPL) or loudness levels;
(f) frequency decay; and
(g) bass ringing.

Most will go with a single sub with the LS50 as bass is mono. A single sub unfortunately will require a high crossover frequency which means issues with sub localization and room modes. On top of this there is the issue of getting the splice correct so that the phase is aligned on both sides of the crossover point at the desired filter roll off. Whether it's 6dB/octave, 12dB/octave or higher.

To solve the localization and room mode issues, a pair of subs that are properly integrated with each LS50 will produce satisfactory results on the last two octaves that the LS50 will have trouble reproducing.

Other than SVS, you might be interested in the following Internet Direct (ID) sub vendors:
(1) HSU;
(2) Rythmik;
(3) Power Sound Audio; and
(4) XTZ.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.

Last edited by steveting99; 12-08-2015 at 01:03 AM. Reason: typo
post #1556 of 2283 Old 12-07-2015, 11:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oboe View Post

Hey DBPHD:

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. The Parasound JC1, JC2 and JC3 is a sublime combo (congratulations!) but at over $15,000! It is out of my league. Also, I learned my lesson with the Mark Levinson 331. Only equipment that is easy to move for me from now on. That amp was massive. The Parasound A 21 is financially within reach (thought I would have to buy a pre-amp). Though praised by the Absolute Sound, the A21 is not rated by Stereophile (I could not even find a review by them) which spoils my daffy "dream." Of note is the recently reviewed Halo Integrated amp at $2495. Hmmm! It will almost certainly not be rated A since Reichert kept harping on its "don't-worry-now mellow" "personality although "it was never boring," "perceiving the Halo as tracking the input signal pretty close to the feeling of master tape." (which seems good to me). "It was neutral" (okay, then), adding "it was never too anything" (backhanded complement?). Comparing its effect on the LS 50, he reports that "it replicated sonic qualities of its input signal but it wasn't as enjoyable or as emotionally engaging" as the Magnapan 7. Darn! I really appreciate your endorsement of the Oppo - BDP 105. Reconsidering it again. Thanks also for the tip for the Masters of Jazz blue ray. Can't wait! Michael

Michael
Hi Michael,

If no one has said so, welcome to AVS!

You might be interested in Emotiva's XMC-1 solution here: https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xmc-1 that has a two-channel fully balanced "solid" stereo section with XLR outputs. The XMC-1 has something special that all most two-channel integrated does not have, Dirac Live Room EQualization (REQ) algorithm. The value of a state of the art room correction system to deal with the room modes and reflections caused by boundary interference cannot be ignored.

The 20% sale on Emotiva's gear will give you some savings that can be put into the amp section (Edit: be sure to check it can support 4 ohm loads as the speaker goes down to a minimum of 3.2 ohms) to drive the LS50 or more capable subs to reproduce the last two octaves that the LS50 will struggle with.

Last edited by steveting99; 12-08-2015 at 12:04 AM. Reason: additional text
post #1557 of 2283 Old 12-08-2015, 01:01 AM
kta

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
I use two Rel S/2 subs with my LS50s. Fills out the base very well. I started with one but and the additional sub evened things out and filled in the soundstage. I use a Cambridge 851a to drive them. The content comes from a NAS and Spotify using a Cambridge 851n network player and from CD, DVD Audio and SACD using a Cambridge 752 Blue ray.
post #1558 of 2283 Old 12-08-2015, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post
Is anyone running these with an Anthem AVR. Comments?
I'm curious about this as well.
post #1559 of 2283 Old 12-09-2015, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does LS50 requires break in

I received my new LS50 and Marantz 7008 receiver. Hooked them up and ran two channel music without room correction setup. I was surprised by how poorly the new speakers sound. It is harsh and muffed, as if coming behind a pillow. It is not nearly as good as what I heard in dealer's room.

Does LS50 needs break in?

Can it be my DVD player needs upgrade? I'm using a 15 years old Sony player with analog connections. Maybe HDMI improves audio signal quality.
or Marantz 7008 is not a suitable pair? I must have a receiver and 7008 is having a great sale. I plan to buy an amplifier down the road and use the 7008 as pre-amp.

To compare, I switch the speaker to a very cheap Sony speaker left over from a home theater in a box. The tiny Sony speaker sounds better.

Somewhere something is not working right.

Thanks,
Qchang
post #1560 of 2283 Old 12-09-2015, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Doesn't seem right to me. You should check all the connections because that's the most common cause of poor sound from AWESOME speakers.

Your receiver is good, should sound great. What were the volume levels you tried?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page