KEF LS50 Owners - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 100Likes

Old 05-08-2016, 01:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I hadn't meant to imply that the sound level at any listening position would be about the same, rather that the speaker output would likely be about the same. The photo seems to indicate that the space behind the speakers is inadequate for the rear ported Reference 1 and 2C, even with the full bung installed. The installation may be attractive, but I'd guess it's far from ideal for best sound. The speakers might instead be mounted on stands about 2' from the wall behind them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1686 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancjodanc View Post
Just asking other KEF owner's advice...but I have the REF 1's and the 2C center, with the THX in ceiling used for Atmos.
I have a pair of LS50's as my rear surround. I know surround speakers don't have to be as 'big' as the mains....but I don't
want to overkill either. I know KEF has other speakers, even in their Q line, with the same driver tech....that might be just
as good for my set up? Just wanted to know what other guys were using
Might want to consider 'lifting' the LS50 off the table to minimize the first reflection indirect sound.

For the fronts, might also 'pull forward' the speakers.

In your 5.1.2 Atmos speaker setup, are the angles as shown in the diagram below from Dolby?

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Because of the large room I'm in, 30 X 30', and 14' ceiling....and the fact that those are custom built cabinets and fireplace in a new home...I was limited to speaker placement. I had to get Ref 1's so they could be on the counter. The center cutout does have a hole in the back of the cutout wall for sound...but it's the best I could do with the fireplace placement! The atmos ci200RR are the THX models...I have 4 of those in the ceiling. And the pair of LS50's on the side, as back surrounds for now..with no side surround. I can place the LS50's on a stand..but was just trying to keep them as 'discrete' as possible. I was thinking of placing them closer to the floor and pointing them up towards the sofa, maybe even on an amp stand? I did follow the Dolby guide lines when I placed the atmos speakers in ceiling, 2 in front of the sofa, and 2 slightly behind, in line with the 2 mains.
In the picture you can also see I had to place the 2 SVS subwoofers under those 2 coffee tables in the room. Just no where else to put them.

Also, the pre/pro I have, Theta Casablanca IV, has not been updated to Atmos yet, not till summer...so I'm using 2 of the ceiling speakers as side surrounds for now. Once that update happens...I'll have a 5.2.4 set up, unless I can sneak in 2 more speakers for side surrounds.

Yes, the room does echo with only tile on the floor...but it's so nice to see! I'm working on an area rug under the sofa...to help with the sound issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2875.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1430322  
Old 05-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Given the decor of the room, have you given any thought to suspending the R1s from the ceiling? It could be an attractive feature and it seems a shame to compromise the sound of such nice speakers. If you have provided a space behind the RC2, the prepro speaker management can handle the distance offset if the mains are a bit closer. I don't see a problem with the location of the subs. Looks like a nice room.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Because of the large room I'm in, 30 X 30', and 14' ceiling....and the fact that those are custom built cabinets and fireplace in a new home...I was limited to speaker placement. I had to get Ref 1's so they could be on the counter. The center cutout does have a hole in the back of the cutout wall for sound...but it's the best I could do with the fireplace placement! The atmos ci200RR are the THX models...I have 4 of those in the ceiling. And the pair of LS50's on the side, as back surrounds for now..with no side surround. I can place the LS50's on a stand..but was just trying to keep them as 'discrete' as possible. I was thinking of placing them closer to the floor and pointing them up towards the sofa, maybe even on an amp stand? I did follow the Dolby guide lines when I placed the atmos speakers in ceiling, 2 in front of the sofa, and 2 slightly behind, in line with the 2 mains.
In the picture you can also see I had to place the 2 SVS subwoofers under those 2 coffee tables in the room. Just no where else to put them.

Also, the pre/pro I have, Theta Casablanca IV, has not been updated to Atmos yet, not till summer...so I'm using 2 of the ceiling speakers as side surrounds for now. Once that update happens...I'll have a 5.2.4 set up, unless I can sneak in 2 more speakers for side surrounds.

Yes, the room does echo with only tile on the floor...but it's so nice to see! I'm working on an area rug under the sofa...to help with the sound issue.
For the current setup, the LS50 are really side surrounds and not back surrounds. I.e. 5.1 before 7.1

Thanks for clarifying the 5.1.4 setup. Dolby recommends the following angles in a 5.1.4 configuration.

For the LS50, you might be interested in raising them off the side table next to the sofa with the following: IsoAcoustics Aperta

If there is an improvement in sound, then do the same for the KEF Reference 1 (the front left/right speakers) that are sitting on the counter. Might want to contact IsoAcoustics on what they would recommend for the Reference 1 bookshelves. Maybe the Aperta 200 are suitable. Also by raising the Reference 1 off the counter, the tweeter of the front left/right speaker will be closer on the horizontal to the center speaker and that should help with imaging.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
I sent an email to isoAcoustics , see what they say about which stand.
I know the LS50s need to be behind me....it's the right stand?
Or as I said..maybe off the floor angled up towards the back of the sofa?

Again, it's finding the right stand.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Old 05-11-2016, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 417
What's interesting about comparing a "bookshelf" near field monitor to a floor-standing open baffle behemoth?
Comparing apples and horseshoes.

I guess I just don't "get it".

System includes KEF R500 floor standing, R200C center, R100 surrounds, SVS SB2000 subwoofer, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 turntable w/ Sumiko Pearl cartridge, Bluesound Vault, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer, MCS System cassette deck. The last 2 items are dust collectors but will work if asked.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Comparing sound reproduction technologies makes sense to me. As a listener, I don't care if the sound I hear is coming from a cone, a panel, or a horn. I just want it to be a close to a live performance as possible.

Obviously, the author of the articles mentioned felt it appropriate to compare a highly regarded bookshelf to an open baffle design. With your eyes closed, you'd never know the difference.

If you restrict your thinking to ranking speakers based on either their method of producing sound, or the size of the speaker itself, I think you miss the point of accurate sound reproduction being the goal.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I understand what you're saying but it is a no-brainer to me that regardless of physical size and design (open baffle, ported or sealed) a compact near-field monitor wouldn't give anywhere near the overall impression of a large woofer. The LS50 does give quite accurate music reproduction, but only down to 100hz to 80hz when the bottom drops out because of its small driver. "Usable" bass below that, but not at the SPL the source may have been recorded. It just can't move the air mass a big driver can.

Could be wrong, but I believe even with my eyes closed I could tell the difference. We enjoy a plethora of different tools for different folks in different rooms with different budgets and differing tastes and ears. Ain't the world a wonderful place?

System includes KEF R500 floor standing, R200C center, R100 surrounds, SVS SB2000 subwoofer, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 turntable w/ Sumiko Pearl cartridge, Bluesound Vault, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer, MCS System cassette deck. The last 2 items are dust collectors but will work if asked.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
The LS50 does give quite accurate music reproduction, but only down to 100hz to 80hz when the bottom drops out because of its small driver. "Usable" bass below that, but not at the SPL the source may have been recorded. It just can't move the air mass a big driver can.
My impression is that the LS50s go quite a bit lower. When I listen to jazz, the bass is well tracked and its timbre nicely rendered. I've use my LS50s with a pair of subs, but the sound is very satisfying without the subs. If you want pipe organ pedal notes, then you need subs. Two experiences stand out in my mind: (1) How well the LS50s handled the large orchestration on the Decca Blue-ray of Aida and (2) rendered timbre on Legends of Jazz Blu-ray. Sure, I use larger speakers (KEF Reference 107/2s) for my main setup, but the LS50s are amazing.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

The LS of course does produce lower frequencies than 100hz, just not at the same SPL as the higher frequencies. That's true of any speaker, only the point at which they start to fall off changes.

Compare the LS50 measurements to that of my R500, but also note how close they are to my R100's.

LS50
R100
R500

I run my R500 with a subwoofer too, most of the time. With certain jazz and classical I can shut it off and switch my T758 receiver to "analog bypass" mode so it sends the full range signal to the R500's. My R100 are only used as surrounds for 5.1 though occasionally for the NAD's "enhanced stereo" mode where it sends near equal volume to both R500 and R100 pairs and the sub is on, though nothing to the R200c center. I do lose the imaging, but I like it for when I'm moving around the house more.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I sent an email to isoAcoustics , see what they say about which stand.
I know the LS50s need to be behind me....it's the right stand?
Or as I said..maybe off the floor angled up towards the back of the sofa?

Again, it's finding the right stand.
For the LS50 the Aperta stands are suitable. The purpose of the stand is to lift the LS50 off the side table and minimize Speaker Boundary Interference Response (SBIR) when the LS50 is close to a surface.

Generally having the LS50 on the floor and without a stand to place them on is a bad idea. It wont sound right.

As the LS50 are used as side surrounds, ensure they are placed behind the Main Listening Position (MLP) at around 120 deg, the tweeter is pointed towards the MLP and if possible, lifted about 1' higher than ear level.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
The LS of course does produce lower frequencies than 100hz, just not at the same SPL as the higher frequencies. That's true of any speaker, only the point at which they start to fall off changes.
The question in my mind is in-room response and how much is enough. In my room, the LF extension of the LS50s is enough to portray jazz and chamber music in a satisfying manner. I use the pair of Velodyne HGS-10s and SMS-1 because I have them, not because I need them. A colleague who was a noted acoustician and past president of the ASA once wisely told me to never listen to a speaker in an anechoic environment and to never measure frequency response. I do enjoy, though, when pipe organ pedal notes pour forth from the 107/2s.

The trend in modern speaker system design seems to be toward multiple smaller speakers that combine to move air. IIRC, the Bozak Concert Grands of the 50's may have started that trend by using multiple smaller speakers when 15" speakers were in vogue. The aim was to gain better control of speaker excursion.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Steve,

Following your lead, I just received an Iso Acoustics unit to use between my R600C and the metal stand it will sit on. The stand is an open framework designed to straddle the Parasound JC-1 that drives the center channel. The combined height of stand, Iso unit, and speaker needs to clear the projection screen.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question A Few KEF LS50 Specifications Questions

I have a pair of LS50's in transit to my home. As usual, I have a few misgivings/buyers remorse after paying my money but before using the product.

I have read enough reviews to know that these bookshelf speakers are uniformly considered best in class. I am wondering why, given the specifications of these and other speakers in the KEF Q class range of speakers. The LS50 includes a single 5.25" "coincident" driver — the exact same size of the one contained in KEF's entry-level Q 100 bookshelf speaker. Even the Q 300, which I seriously considered, has the larger 6.5" coincident driver utilized in the top two larger and much more expensive (compared to the Q100 and Q300) Q series tower speakers.

Let me begin my question with the observation that I am most assuredly not a troll. But, is there any reason to believe that the driver used in the LS50 is not the exact same driver used in the entry-level Q100? If so, where did the other $1100 go?

Also, I do have a substantive question. There is much discussion about the flexible elliptical rear port and all of the state-of-the-art technology and R&D that went into that design feature. It seems that without any explanation whatsoever and, rather cavalierly, the LS50 comes with a plug or "bung" to completely eliminate the feature. What's up with that?

Thanks very much – Gene

PS: I would also note that by KEF's own specifications the LS50s are inferior in speaker sensitivity, amplifier requirement (a function of speaker sensitivity?), frequency response, and maximum output when compared to KEF's own specification sheets for the Q100 and Q300.

Last edited by da5id1; 05-21-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by da5id1 View Post
I have a pair of LS50's in transit to my home. As usual, I have a few misgivings/buyers remorse after paying my money but before using the product.

I have read enough reviews to know that these bookshelf speakers are uniformly considered best in class. I am wondering why, given the specifications of these and other speakers in the KEF Q class range of speakers. The LS50 includes a single 5.25" "coincident" driver — the exact same size of the one contained in KEF's entry-level Q 100 bookshelf speaker. Even the Q 300, which I seriously considered, has the larger 6.5" coincident driver utilized in the top two larger and much more expensive (compared to the Q100 and Q300) Q series tower speakers.

Let me begin my question with the observation that I am most assuredly not a troll. But, is there any reason to believe that the driver used in the LS50 is not the exact same driver used in the entry-level Q100? If so, where did the other $1100 go?

Also, I do have a substantive question. There is much discussion about the flexible elliptical rear port and all of the state-of-the-art technology and R&D that went into that design feature. It seems that without any explanation whatsoever and, rather cavalierly, the LS50 comes with a plug or "bung" to completely eliminate the feature. What's up with that?

Thanks very much – Gene

PS: I would also note that by KEF's own specifications the LS50s are inferior in speaker sensitivity, amplifier requirement (a function of speaker sensitivity?), frequency response, and maximum output when compared to KEF's own specification sheets for the Q100 and Q300.
Gene

Don't let buyers remorse ruin your enjoyment of a great pair of speakers.
I have 5 of them in my listening/viewing room. The 6.5" mid that you speak
of in the Q series does not have the same midrange purity that the LS50 has.
The 5.25"driver is much more refined in the LS than the Q or R series.
The port bung is a 2 piece affair that allows for tuning with near placement issues.
My center LS50 is semi enclosed and I use half of the port bung to help.
I have a pair of KEF X300A's for my computer and they are nice but nowhere near
the sound quality of the "same driver" LS50's.

Steve

Last edited by tr4a; 05-21-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
Liked: 690
It looks like these are not on sale any more!

KEF Ci200RR-THX
Old 05-21-2016, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

They do show up on the KEF USA website, not showing on KEF Direct. I don't believe they're no longer available, just distribution channels have changed. I buy almost all my KEF products through my local dealer at the same (or usually better) prices than KEF Direct. The only exception was a pair of M500 headphones during the "12 Days Of Christmas" sale last fall.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
For the LS50 the Aperta stands are suitable. The purpose of the stand is to lift the LS50 off the side table and minimize Speaker Boundary Interference Response (SBIR) when the LS50 is close to a surface....
Big fan of IsoAcoustics here, using the original plastic version. The new aluminum ones look interesting, the finer ability to adjust tilt is a plus (although I use no tilt on mine). But in watching this video it appears the metal casting is a little on the rough side, compared to the plastic version. Maybe I'm mistaken, or maybe prototypes?

Last edited by jkhome; 05-22-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

They are castings, and it's not unusual to see surface defects in them. There are costlier ways of casting aluminum than the simple die cast you see, such as high pressure die cast process. That process fills the mold better and results in smoother surfaces. Tooling costs for HPDC components is exponentially higher too, adding to the cost when you can't amortize the investment over many thousands of parts sold. They aren't going to be selling a couple hundred thousand of those things.

In this application it wouldn't add anything but cost to improve a non-functional finish. In many die cast aluminum components, there is secondary finishing operations to clean mold break lines or make it shiny. I'm sure that company could offer a "special edition" version that looks prettier, but who would pay twice the money for them? Under a speaker the rougher finish isn't easily seen.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah they still look nice, I may have to go for the "upgrade" eventually.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Eventually came sooner than later, received a pair of Apertas today. They look fine from where I am sitting. For folks who are familiar with the Isoacoutic plastic version, these aluminum ones do not come with the longer extension tubes, and are actually 3/4" shorter than the plastic ones set at their lowest position. I raised mine with wood blocking and spikes.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

I'm using a large Iso Acoustics (ISO-L8R) under my R600C with a Herbie's Tenderfoot in each of the front cups for a bit more tilt. It seems to work well, and the black plastic is unobtrusive below the speaker. The speaker sits atop a rigid metal frame designed to straddle the center JC-1 amp. The assembly provides nearly a foot of ventilation above the amp and yet is below the sightline to the bottom of the projection screen.

Misadventures with an Esoteric SA-60 during which there was no sound from the LR mains have provided an opportunity to hear the R600C as a monaural speaker. I've been surprised by how good it sounds, so I can understand the enthusiasm for the R500 and R700 speakers I see at the KEF Owners' site of AVS.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by da5id1 View Post

Thanks very much – Gene

Congratulations! You'll be pleased. To answer some of your questions...

As far as the driver, it seemed like eons ago when I researched this stuff, so take what I say with a grain of salt. From my understanding, the driver is closer to what you'll find in the R100 series. Take a closer look, the Q100 series doesn't have the lines extending from the inside to outside periphery. As far as the mechanical differences, I have no idea except the the LS50 has magnesium alloy, while the Q100's are all aluminum. What you're paying for in difference is the unique enclosure design, such as the curved front baffle, and unique internal bracing as well as the unique driver. Is it worth $1100 more? Usually, economic scaling and the world of audiophilia rarely go hand in hand, however, having listened to most of the range at a dealer, it is a very different sound profile compared to the q range when you put all those things together.

It's been already answered, that the back ports are if you're placing near a back wall, which would be closer than two feet. I have mine at 20 in. and don't use them and they're fine. They're supposed to improve imaging at the expense of bass extension. I definitely recommend to space them from the back wall enough to get the bass extension.

The most important thing... these were WAY MORE finnicky than I thought as far as placement. I angled these speakers a hair too much inward and spaced too far apart by 6 inches each side, and I was getting a smaller, incoherent soundstage. Made the small adjustments, and the results were dramatic. Made them sound like the huge speakers I heard from the dealer. Positioning them back and forth definitely ruled out a possible psychoacoustic effect.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi, i am not sure if this is the right place to post this but if you live in Japan these speaker are at steep cheap prices in the big camera outlet

auctions.yahoo.co.jp and search kef ls50

you cannot find them online story in japan only in yahoo auction or audio shops, i am getting a pair for 900$
Old 05-30-2016, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi, i am not sure if this is the right place to post this but if you live in Japan these speaker are at steep cheap prices in the big camera outlet

auctions yahoo co jp and search for kef ls50

you cannot find them online story in japan only in yahoo auction or audio shops, i am getting a pair for 900$
Old 06-04-2016, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I tried replacing my B&W 685S2's today with new LS50's. Sadly dissapointed. I listened on 2 occasions at a store and they were great. When I got them set up at home they have the really clear midrange I heard before, but the 685's are better in every other way. The LS50's are too bright and sound smaller and less dynamic. Could it be my NAD c326bee amp? I turned the tone defeat button off but left the bass and treble controls at half, this reduced some of the highs and sibilance but they're still fatiguing. Maybe it's the Teac CD player with burr brown dacs? I'm going to try them with my Arcam rBlink tomorrow instead and maybe try changing the setup 90 degrees to the short wall, although the 685's sounded awful in that spot, they were shrill and lost their bass. The LS50's are currently only about 13" from the wall, about 6' apart, slight toe in to listening area. The room has a large thick area rug and aimed towards the couch that's about 7' away. Maybe these speakers are just too forward sounding and high pitched for my sensitive ears. I'll try changing positions and sources but I'm not going to keep upgrading everything else to try and suit them, I think maybe they're just not for me. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by Williams2; 06-04-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams2 View Post
The LS50's are currently only about 13" from the wall, about 6' apart, slight toe in to listening area. The room has a large thick area rug and aimed towards the couch that's about 7' away.
Can you move the LS50s at least 20" from the wall and remove the bung? Removing toe-in might also help. The LS50s have a rating of only 85 dB sensitivity, so a good amp is important, especially with a thick area rug that can soak up acoustic energy. I'm using a pair of LS50s with a Parasound A23 amp. They are crossed at 80 Hz to a pair of Velodyne HGS-10s with SMS-1 bass manager. I think the set-up sounds remarkably well with a fine source like the Legends of Jazz Blue-ray.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Can you move the LS50s at least 20" from the wall and remove the bung? Removing toe-in might also help. The LS50s have a rating of only 85 dB sensitivity, so a good amp is important, especially with a thick area rug that can soak up acoustic energy. I'm using a pair of LS50s with a Parasound A23 amp. They are crossed at 80 Hz to a pair of Velodyne HGS-10s with SMS-1 bass manager. I think the set-up sounds remarkably well with a fine source like the Legends of Jazz Blue-ray.
I'll try moving them farther from the wall today but the bass is good as is, don't have any bungs in. Removing any toe in might help reduce the highs, that's my biggest concern, other than them sounding small. Right now they remind me of the Andrew Jones pioneer sp22's, but with a very clear but too bright tweeter.

Last edited by Williams2; 06-05-2016 at 03:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System