KEF LS50 Owners - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 100Likes

post #1891 of 1944 Old 06-29-2016, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad_ie View Post
May be it is due to the amp? See "SAM" as explained in http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...system/?page=2

Also, check out this page: http://en.devialet.com/speakers/kef/kef-ls50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1944 Old 07-06-2016, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I am a very late comer to this thread. I bought the grey LS50 over the Christmas break when KEF was promoting them with the M400 headphones. Afterwards, I had to save up for the source and ended up with a Naim SuperUniti and a CD5i (both used). I am very happy with them so far and they are now sitting slightly further away from the walls than they were in the picture. I am just waiting for the AV shelf to arrive now and I think I will enjoy the system for a long time before I make further upgrades.

Cheers.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1761 - Copy.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	638.6 KB
ID:	1531193  
Bill_B4 and KenM10759 like this.
post #1893 of 1944 Old 07-06-2016, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by startroops View Post
I am a very late comer to this thread. I bought the grey LS50 over the Christmas break when KEF was promoting them with the M400 headphones. Afterwards, I had to save up for the source and ended up with a Naim SuperUniti and a CD5i (both used). I am very happy with them so far and they are now sitting slightly further away from the walls than they were in the picture. I am just waiting for the AV shelf to arrive now and I think I will enjoy the system for a long time before I make further upgrades.

Cheers.

Jon
Congrats! It is an amazing speaker - mini Reference as they have been called.
post #1894 of 1944 Old 07-08-2016, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wall mount the LS50?

Hi!

First let me state I'm wearing flame retardant clothing because I have a feeling people will say I'm crazy for considering wall mounting these or just plain crazy for asking. But here goes anyways.

I'm looking to put together a 2.1 channel system with the LS50's as the left and right channels. In our current living room system we have Scandyna Micropods mounted to the wall using the optional Scandyna mounts on either side of our TV, and a Scandyna Basstation. It really sounds fantastic and we love it. We've been using this sytem for about 8 years with no complaints. It easily fills our open concept main floor with beautiful sound.

In our new house we'd like to do the same, have a 2.1 channel system for the living room but I'd really like to switch over to these KEFs instead since I've nearly fallen in love with them. The problem is we'd really prefer having the left and right channel mounted on the walls like we have now.

So I know the LS50's have no provisions built into them by KEF for wall mounting. I've been looking around for some universal mounts which might work. I'm wondering if one knows of a way this might be achieved or knows of a universal wall mount that may work. Additionally, is this a good idea? Bad idea? Acoustically bad perhaps? I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of others.

Thanks.
post #1895 of 1944 Old 07-08-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 407
The rear port on the LS50 is there for a reason and shouldn't be blocked by being up against a wall. It *will* have negative effect on the sound. I'll let others be more specific, though I know it affects the bass output more than anything else.

System includes KEF R500 floor standing, R200C center, R100 surrounds, SVS SB2000 subwoofer, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 turntable w/ Sumiko Pearl cartridge, Bluesound Vault, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer, MCS System cassette deck. The last 2 items are dust collectors but will work if asked.
post #1896 of 1944 Old 07-08-2016, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonseys View Post
Hi!

First let me state I'm wearing flame retardant clothing because I have a feeling people will say I'm crazy for considering wall mounting these or just plain crazy for asking. But here goes anyways.

I'm looking to put together a 2.1 channel system with the LS50's as the left and right channels. In our current living room system we have Scandyna Micropods mounted to the wall using the optional Scandyna mounts on either side of our TV, and a Scandyna Basstation. It really sounds fantastic and we love it. We've been using this sytem for about 8 years with no complaints. It easily fills our open concept main floor with beautiful sound.

In our new house we'd like to do the same, have a 2.1 channel system for the living room but I'd really like to switch over to these KEFs instead since I've nearly fallen in love with them. The problem is we'd really prefer having the left and right channel mounted on the walls like we have now.

So I know the LS50's have no provisions built into them by KEF for wall mounting. I've been looking around for some universal mounts which might work. I'm wondering if one knows of a way this might be achieved or knows of a universal wall mount that may work. Additionally, is this a good idea? Bad idea? Acoustically bad perhaps? I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of others.

Thanks.
My surround LS50's are wall mounted. B-Tech side clamping mounts work well.
With the close proximity to the wall you will want to use the port bungs.
My processor sets the crossover at 100hz. My front LS50's are at 79hz without
the bungs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1535401  
post #1897 of 1944 Old 07-08-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
The rear port on the LS50 is there for a reason and shouldn't be blocked by being up against a wall. It *will* have negative effect on the sound. I'll let others be more specific, though I know it affects the bass output more than anything else.
Hi,

This is a great point. I read this in the manual and somewhere else as well but given the mounts I've been looking at it seemed like it would be within range. I guess should have clarified they would be pushed right up against the wall since its not even possible with the posts sticking of the back.

I was thinking of a universal mount something like what sin this photo:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....jL._SX355_.jpg

With this type the speaker sits in a tray and by moving it forward in the tray it you could get the 500mm or 200mm (without and with plug respectively) clearance recommend in the manual.

Simon
post #1898 of 1944 Old 07-08-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4a View Post
My surround LS50's are wall mounted. B-Tech side clamping mounts work well.
With the close proximity to the wall you will want to use the port bungs.
My processor sets the crossover at 100hz. My front LS50's are at 79hz without
the bungs.
Thank you so much for replying and posting this awesome photo! Looks so similar to what I'd like to do and it's in white too which I was considering.

Would you mind me asking how high you have these mounted? That's another item I left out of my first post, was that we'd probably mount these higher up. Certainly closer to the ceiling than the flloor. Is there any adverse affect to doing so?

Cheers!
post #1899 of 1944 Old 07-08-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for replying and posting this awesome photo! Looks so similar to what I'd like to do and it's in white too which I was considering.

Would you mind me asking how high you have these mounted? That's another item I left out of my first post, was that we'd probably mount these higher up. Certainly closer to the ceiling than the flloor. Is there any adverse affect to doing so?

Cheers!
Mine are 80" from the floor to the bottom of the
speaker. A slight tilt angles toward the MLP.
The only adverse affect if they were mounted up
next to the ceiling they might corner load.
post #1900 of 1944 Old 07-08-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Mine are 80" from the floor to the bottom of the
speaker. A slight tilt angles toward the MLP.
The only adverse affect if they were mounted up
next to the ceiling they might corner load.
So if these are placed in the corner of a room with the the port bung the manual shows them needing no less than 200mm to the wall behind them and no less than 500mm to the wall adjacent to them. Any idea how much clearance they might need between the ceiling above them? Should I assume 500mm or would it be more?

l'm not familiar with the term corner load, but I think I understand what you're getting at. The sound from the speaker bouncing off the close adjacent surfaces affecting the audio quality?

Simon
post #1901 of 1944 Old 07-08-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
So if these are placed in the corner of a room with the the port bung the manual shows them needing no less than 200mm to the wall behind them and no less than 500mm to the wall adjacent to them. Any idea how much clearance they might need between the ceiling above them? Should I assume 500mm or would it be more?

l'm not familiar with the term corner load, but I think I understand what you're getting at. The sound from the speaker bouncing off the close adjacent surfaces affecting the audio quality?

Simon
Simon

Here is a picture of the left speaker.
Ceiling slopes up from the speaker.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0384 copy.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1535577  
post #1902 of 1944 Old 07-20-2016, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Considering the LS50's as my next purchase, they would be replacing a pair of B&W 684 S2, obviously i would need to stand mount these and was wondering what people are using for stands. I would need something pretty sturdy as they are in the very close to the walking path into our living room, so i'm worried about bumpage. Is there any way to attach them to stands? I like how the Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 & 2.0 have a couple of mounting screws to use with their proprietary stands and are considering the them as well as an alternative to the LS50.

Thanks
post #1903 of 1944 Old 07-20-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksas View Post
Considering the LS50's as my next purchase, they would be replacing a pair of B&W 684 S2, obviously i would need to stand mount these and was wondering what people are using for stands. I would need something pretty sturdy as they are in the very close to the walking path into our living room, so i'm worried about bumpage. Is there any way to attach them to stands? I like how the Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 & 2.0 have a couple of mounting screws to use with their proprietary stands and are considering the them as well as an alternative to the LS50.

Thanks
Blu-tack works very well.
Mine have been in place for over 3 years.

My stands are 26" tall.
I would experiment with temporary stands
to determine final height.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0349.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	1555809  
Garman likes this.
post #1904 of 1944 Old 07-20-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Blu-tack works very well.
Mine have been in place for over 3 years.

My stands are 26" tall.
I would experiment with temporary stands
to determine final height.

Steve
Do you use a sheet of blu-tack or a few small pieces?

Really interesting setup you have! how are those stands mounted to the media cabinet? I'm actually in the market for a new media cabinet and may go with something wider if i go with bookshelf/monitors rather than towers. How does the LS50 work as a center channel for you? Besides the obvious seamless LCR integration, how is the dialogue for TV/movies? Also, how do you use them for music, 2.0 or with a sub in 2.1 and which sub? Sorry for all the questions!! Just trying to make an informed decision, there's no place locally for me to listen to these in the North Shore Boston area.

Thanks!
Mark
vooges likes this.
post #1905 of 1944 Old 07-20-2016, 08:52 AM

Mark

I built the cabinet based on a Salamander.
In the middle of the build someone was selling
Salamander doors really cheap. I ended up using
the prebuilt doors.
I bolted the extrusions through the cabinet and
fabricated a 1/4" steel top plate. Strips of Blu-tack
hold the speakers in place. In fact I was going to try
moving the speakers a few inches forward but they
would not budge. One day I will separate them.
A LS50 works very well as a center.
Last year I replaced my Kef E301 surrounds with
a pair of LS50's. Having all 5 speakers the same
is amazing.
I have 2 subs in the room to balance out the bass.

Steve
post #1906 of 1944 Old 07-20-2016, 09:11 AM

Wow that's cool, great idea. I suppose if i had a side enough cabinet i could always buy something like the isoacoustic stands but not crazy about how they look. If i go the Kef route i thought about using a less expensive Q series center as i have not seen the ability to buy just (1) LS50 by itself. Also i'm currently using older Mirage OMD-5 speakers as my surrounds, they're ok and do the trick but not great.
post #1907 of 1944 Old 07-20-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksas View Post
Wow that's cool, great idea. I suppose if i had a side enough cabinet i could always buy something like the isoacoustic stands but not crazy about how they look. If i go the Kef route i thought about using a less expensive Q series center as i have not seen the ability to buy just (1) LS50 by itself. Also i'm currently using older Mirage OMD-5 speakers as my surrounds, they're ok and do the trick but not great.
Mark

The Q series is a nice speaker.
I would not use it as a center with the LS50's.
Kef Direct does sell singles.
I know some use the R200 as a center.
I compared the R series and found the
LS50's better.

Steve
post #1908 of 1944 Old 07-20-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Mark

LS50's better.

Steve

Good to know, thanks Steve!
post #1909 of 1944 Old 07-20-2016, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A lot of the reviews talk about how great
these speakers are for the right room seeming to mean not too large.

My room is 16x24. Is that too large for these?

I sit about 12 feet from the front of my 802s now with them about 3 feet off the back wall now.

Thanks.
post #1910 of 1944 Old 07-20-2016, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked: 1137
Quote:
Mark

LS50's better.

Steve
i use ls50 as my left/right in my home theatre setup. I found the r200c in center much better than the ls50.

The r200c is basically an r500 on its side with half the cabinet chopped off. IMO it's a better speaker for center channel, considering that the ls50 starts to lose steam at around 80hz.
post #1911 of 1944 Old 07-20-2016, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
...The r200c is basically an r500 on its side with half the cabinet chopped off. IMO it's a better speaker for center channel, considering that the ls50 starts to lose steam at around 80hz.

The KEF FR specifications of 79Hz-28kHz +/-3dB can be somewhat misleading, since they are based on anechoic conditions with no port output. With port output included, the Sound & Vision measured FR was 46Hz-20kHz +/-3.2dB. Measurements performed by Stereophile in their LS50 review also showed an output essentially flat down to 50Hz.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...BiLe3Htm5Bc.97
10k likes this.
post #1912 of 1944 Old 07-20-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaAllen View Post
A lot of the reviews talk about how great
these speakers are for the right room seeming to mean not too large.

My room is 16x24. Is that too large for these?

I sit about 12 feet from the front of my 802s now with them about 3 feet off the back wall now.

Thanks.
You are using B&W 802 and you are considering LS50?

For me, the room is too large if I am listening 12 ft away. My current room is a little smaller and I am about 7 ft away. I can't listen to it without 2 subs even at this distance.
post #1913 of 1944 Old 07-21-2016, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxaudio View Post
You are using B&W 802 and you are considering LS50?

For me, the room is too large if I am listening 12 ft away. My current room is a little smaller and I am about 7 ft away. I can't listen to it without 2 subs even at this distance.
I'm using 802s, but I've found with some monitors you just get a different voicing which is a nice change depending on the music.
I'm also using 2 subs. I can't sit any closer.

I was considering the LS 50s as a change, not necessarily to replace. Thanks for the reply.
post #1914 of 1944 Old 07-21-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaAllen View Post
I'm using 802s, but I've found with some monitors you just get a different voicing which is a nice change depending on the music.
I'm also using 2 subs. I can't sit any closer.

I was considering the LS 50s as a change, not necessarily to replace. Thanks for the reply.
If you have a local dealer who offers in home demo, give it a try. It might work for certain type of music. Vocal at lower sound level should work.
post #1915 of 1944 Old 07-22-2016, 08:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Has anyone put a screw in an LS50? I have three and am going to wall mount them but want to mount the center horizontally and put a couple of screws through the bottom of the mount into the LS50. Is there mdf on the other side of the gloss black exterior? I realize resale value will be screwed but I care more about making sure it stays on the mount than resale.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #1916 of 1944 Old 07-22-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post
Has anyone put a screw in an LS50? I have three and am going to wall mount them but want to mount the center horizontally and put a couple of screws through the bottom of the mount into the LS50. Is there mdf on the other side of the gloss black exterior? I realize resale value will be screwed but I care more about making sure it stays on the mount than resale.
Strips of Blu-tack and it won't move.
I want to move mine out about 3" and
they will not budge. I am going to have
to use a thin putty knife and work at it
for a while.

Steve
post #1917 of 1944 Old 07-22-2016, 09:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

I already have blue tack and it isn't secure enough. If I weren't worried about toddlers and just had gravity to deal with, I'd stay with the blue tack but that ain't the world I live in.

post #1918 of 1944 Old 07-23-2016, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Is there mdf on the other side of the gloss black exterior?
In my experience KEF is very good about responding to emails. Dipin monitors it and has provided helpful advice.
post #1919 of 1944 Old 07-23-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I already have blue tack and it isn't secure enough. If I weren't worried about toddlers and just had gravity to deal with, I'd stay with the blue tack but that ain't the world I live in.
Please describe more how toddlers could post a danger to the center speaker?

Could they touch it? If so, I am more worry about the tweeter and the mid woofers. : )

Or, they could not touch the speaker but could touch the stand?

May be a picture to show your setup?
post #1920 of 1944 Old 07-23-2016, 08:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm guessing you don't have kids? They climb everything.

The picture with the kids is from 16 months ago and you can see the speakers that were in there and the TV. I have an installer coming out Tuesday to open the walls, run some cable and add some 2x4's between the studs so the mounts for the L&R are mounting to wood and not just drywall. The L&R will be midway between the doorways and the TV and about 7' high. I'm using these mounts for the L&R ( https://smile.amazon.com/B-Tech-BT77...er+wall+mounts ). I will use blue tack on those for the time being as I think they will be mostly out of reach. At least for a bit...

The center is another issue though and will be mounted below the screen because there is an AC return above the TV. The TV btw is a Panny ZT65 plasma. The B-Tech mounts don't extend wide enough to clamp on an LS50 when horizontal so I knocked the brackets off using a grinder and may weld them back on a little farther down on the slide to get the needed 1/2" of extra room. I've also purchased a pair of these mounts ( https://smile.amazon.com/Halter-Adju...er+wall+mounts ) which should be able to accommodate an LS50 on its side. I will test that out Monday and if it works and looks as solid as the B-Tech, I'll use that.

The issue is that the side clamps still don't get a ton of grip on the LS50's due to the rounded corners and my 2 1/2 year olds can now climb onto the entertainment center if they wish. I do not want to have them pull the speaker off the mount and come crashing down on another child. The speakers that were in there are now moving to other duties and I am replacing the mids on all three speakers and one woofer because they have been damaged by said 2 1/2 year olds who climbed over the fence and wreaked havoc. The woofer alone on the towers is more than the cost of an LS50. If they manage to damage the LS50, so be it. I'll just buy another. I want this to be as hard as possible to remove and so want to sink some screws into the speaker so it is fixed more securely to the mount. Thus the question, is there something solid a screw can bite into on the other side of that glossy exterior.

This is a family room and not a room for critical listening so SQ concerns aren't paramount here. Neither is resale, I just want to be ultra safe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150302_203434.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	1562345   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150808_205425.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	1562353  

Last edited by mrlittlejeans; 07-23-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page