KEF LS50 Owners - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 99Likes
post #1921 of 1940 Old 07-23-2016, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post
I'm guessing you don't have kids? They climb everything.

The picture with the kids is from 16 months ago and you can see the speakers that were in there and the TV. I have an installer coming out Tuesday to open the walls, run some cable and add some 2x4's between the studs so the mounts for the L&R are mounting to wood and not just drywall. The L&R will be midway between the doorways and the TV and about 7' high. I'm using these mounts for the L&R ( https://smile.amazon.com/B-Tech-BT77...er+wall+mounts ). I will use blue tack on those for the time being as I think they will be mostly out of reach. At least for a bit...

The center is another issue though and will be mounted below the screen because there is an AC return above the TV. The TV btw is a Panny ZT65 plasma. The B-Tech mounts don't extend wide enough to clamp on an LS50 when horizontal so I knocked the brackets off using a grinder and may weld them back on a little farther down on the slide to get the needed 1/2" of extra room. I've also purchased a pair of these mounts ( https://smile.amazon.com/Halter-Adju...er+wall+mounts ) which should be able to accommodate an LS50 on its side. I will test that out Monday and if it works and looks as solid as the B-Tech, I'll use that.

The issue is that the side clamps still don't get a ton of grip on the LS50's due to the rounded corners and my 2 1/2 year olds can now climb onto the entertainment center if they wish. I do not want to have them pull the speaker off the mount and come crashing down on another child. The speakers that were in there are now moving to other duties and I am replacing the mids on all three speakers and one woofer because they have been damaged by said 2 1/2 year olds who climbed over the fence and wreaked havoc. The woofer alone on the towers is more than the cost of an LS50. If they manage to damage the LS50, so be it. I'll just buy another. I want this to be as hard as possible to remove and so want to sink some screws into the speaker so it is fixed more securely to the mount. Thus the question, is there something solid a screw can bite into on the other side of that glossy exterior.

This is a family room and not a room for critical listening so SQ concerns aren't paramount here. Neither is resale, I just want to be ultra safe.
Haha, my kids are teens already, that's why I feel safe to get speakers without cover.

Looking at the specs of the new mount, it looks like the max weight is 55 lbs. Account for the weight of LS50, if your toddlers grap on to it, the whole mount might just fall off. So, I still think it is not safe.

Why don't you just leave it on top of the entertainment center? With lots of blu tack, I'm pretty sure it is not easily movabled and safer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1940 Old 07-24-2016, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 337
I probably wouldn't have gotten speakers that have no grills if my kids were younger than teens. In fact, I didn't because that was a long time ago and I think all speakers came with them. What I did do was hang a pair of 10" x 12" x 1" thick plank of maple from the ceilings (like a plant hanger, only and put my new Hafler 200 bookshelf speakers on those, out of reach. They survived and now serve my niece and her fiancé.

It was just a year ago that I finally had that ceiling replaced.

System includes KEF R500 floor standing, R200C center, R100 surrounds, SVS SB2000 subwoofer, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 turntable w/ Sumiko Pearl cartridge, Bluesound Vault, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer, MCS System cassette deck. The last 2 items are dust collectors but will work if asked.
post #1923 of 1940 Old 07-25-2016, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Looking at getting another pair of the LS50, miss them as I sold mine black pair last year... If anyone is looking they is a company that makes speaker covers for them.

https://www.digitaldeckcovers.com/ca...ment/Speakers/

Anyone know where to get a pair new or used at a great deal PM me....

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Musical Fidelity,KEF, etc...... Maybe New Contour's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Standse
post #1924 of 1940 Unread 07-28-2016, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Looking at getting another pair of the LS50, miss them as I sold mine black pair last year... If anyone is looking they is a company that makes speaker covers for them.

https://www.digitaldeckcovers.com/ca...ment/Speakers/

Anyone know where to get a pair new or used at a great deal PM me....
If nothing comes up for you, do pay attention to Amazon sales. I received email from Amazon during the already passed Prime day sale that they have $400 off for a short period of time.

This sales might come up again. If you have prime and visited the ls50 page on Amazon, they do track your visit and might email you once sales is back on.
Garman likes this.
post #1925 of 1940 Unread 07-30-2016, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Fellas, I've tested a few of the Kef speakers in the past and have tested the LS50 raw drivers for my site as well.
http://medleysmusings.com/kef-ls50-drive-unit/

Unfortunately, I was never able to listen to the speakers themselves (a friend sent me the drivers to test; not the whole setup). I currently have a really fun home theater setup complete with active HE drivers in a DIY fashion with my Rane DSP and some Crown amps in my upstairs bonus room. It sounds great but it just doeson't appeal to me in the sense of "hi-fi"... I know it's shortcomings. Due to this, I have battled with scrapping it all in lieu of making a hi-fi 2-channel stereo setup in it's place. My wife isn't too keen on that idea and I can't blame her. We as a family love the HT room and the only person who would benefit from the stereo aspect would be me. A lot of time and energy went in to the build and I hate to start over again.

The Mrs. and I talked about my little dilemma a bit and we both agreed instead of going to the extreme of messing with the HT it would be better to convert our 'office', which is more a computer/crafts room (I have a 5 yo daughter), to double as nice little stereo listening room. The office is approximately 13x15 ft. If I were to go this route I would move my computer desk off the corner of the wall and instead place it along the short wall (13 ft) at the center so there wouldn't be any skewed boundary loading for a stereo set of speakers. The listening would be done in the near field with the speakers likely sitting on the desk which is about 5ft long, 3ft deep.

So, with that said I have a few 'sanity check' questions.
1) First, I have a hard time finding a bad review on these speakers (Lord knows I loved the drivers when I tested them). I realize they would require a sub for the deepest of deep response but that's not something I'm too concerned with right now. My question really revolves around impressions from listeners in the nearfield in a similar situation small-to-medium sized furnished room. That would get me loud enough to listen comfortably.
2) I'd be listening to music from my iMac so would want something with a digital input. I like the smaller all-in-one setup for preamp/amp. I've been drooling over the Mcintosh MA5200 but there's no way my budget will support that (unless someone wants to give me one at dealer cost, lol). I found that Emotiva is coming out with a product in their Bas-X line called the TA-100 that looks like it would serve me well; and it has a phono input for my U-Turn custom Orbit TT. That's a plus (though, not entirely a necessity). The Emo piece hasn't been released yet so there are no reviews just yet. So, can you guys give me an idea of what you would also suggest for this application with a budget of maybe $1k? I don't need a lot of power due to the near field aspect (even though the LS50's aren't very sensitive).

Thanks in advance for any help here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you like speaker science, have a look at my website:
www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin

Last edited by bikinpunk; 07-30-2016 at 01:45 PM.
post #1926 of 1940 Unread 07-30-2016, 01:55 PM

Liked: 149
Erin

I can say nothing bad about the LS50's
My HT is 5 of them melded with 2 12" subs.

For my Mac mini I use the Kef X300A's.
For near field listening they are excellent.
As nice as theLS50's? No.
USB input from the Mac.
Available the $500 price range.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012 2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1574153  
post #1927 of 1940 Unread 07-30-2016, 03:10 PM

I had considered using the LS50's as surround speakers with my 18" subs carrying the low end but I simply worry about output capability here due to our typical seats being in the back row which is about 17 feet from the screen (speakers are hidden behind the screen). Keep in mind my current setup uses JBL pro cinema speakers so my 'reference' in output is already a bit on the high end. (that's not a slight at you or others using the LS50 for HT purposes by any means)

www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin
post #1928 of 1940 Unread 07-30-2016, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're testing the driver from an LS50 apart from it's cabinet and crossover, you're definitely not going to truly hear what an LS50 sounds like. There's an awful lot of technology involved in building those speakers and it extends far beyond just the driver.

So clarify for me, are you considering a set of LS50's or not?

System includes KEF R500 floor standing, R200C center, R100 surrounds, SVS SB2000 subwoofer, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 turntable w/ Sumiko Pearl cartridge, Bluesound Vault, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer, MCS System cassette deck. The last 2 items are dust collectors but will work if asked.
post #1929 of 1940 Unread 07-30-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
If you're testing the driver from an LS50 apart from it's cabinet and crossover, you're definitely not going to truly hear what an LS50 sounds like. There's an awful lot of technology involved in building those speakers and it extends far beyond just the driver.

So clarify for me, are you considering a set of LS50's or not?
Judging by this reply, I can only assume you didn't actually read my post.

I never once implied the driver sans cabinet was wholly representative of the speaker.

If I weren't considering the LS50 I wouldn't have posted the series of questions asking for input regarding them.

www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin
post #1930 of 1940 Unread 07-31-2016, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I think for home theater use you'd be better off with JBL products. The LS50 is a fantastic near field monitor, their resolving power isn't really needed for surrounds. You'd get more bang for your buck in a matching JBL product to the mains you have.

post #1931 of 1940 Unread 07-31-2016, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Fellas, I've tested a few of the Kef speakers in the past and have tested the LS50 raw drivers for my site as well.
http://medleysmusings.com/kef-ls50-drive-unit/

Unfortunately, I was never able to listen to the speakers themselves (a friend sent me the drivers to test; not the whole setup). I currently have a really fun home theater setup complete with active HE drivers in a DIY fashion with my Rane DSP and some Crown amps in my upstairs bonus room. It sounds great but it just doeson't appeal to me in the sense of "hi-fi"... I know it's shortcomings. Due to this, I have battled with scrapping it all in lieu of making a hi-fi 2-channel stereo setup in it's place. My wife isn't too keen on that idea and I can't blame her. We as a family love the HT room and the only person who would benefit from the stereo aspect would be me. A lot of time and energy went in to the build and I hate to start over again.

The Mrs. and I talked about my little dilemma a bit and we both agreed instead of going to the extreme of messing with the HT it would be better to convert our 'office', which is more a computer/crafts room (I have a 5 yo daughter), to double as nice little stereo listening room. The office is approximately 13x15 ft. If I were to go this route I would move my computer desk off the corner of the wall and instead place it along the short wall (13 ft) at the center so there wouldn't be any skewed boundary loading for a stereo set of speakers. The listening would be done in the near field with the speakers likely sitting on the desk which is about 5ft long, 3ft deep.

So, with that said I have a few 'sanity check' questions.
1) First, I have a hard time finding a bad review on these speakers (Lord knows I loved the drivers when I tested them). I realize they would require a sub for the deepest of deep response but that's not something I'm too concerned with right now. My question really revolves around impressions from listeners in the nearfield in a similar situation small-to-medium sized furnished room. That would get me loud enough to listen comfortably.
2) I'd be listening to music from my iMac so would want something with a digital input. I like the smaller all-in-one setup for preamp/amp. I've been drooling over the Mcintosh MA5200 but there's no way my budget will support that (unless someone wants to give me one at dealer cost, lol). I found that Emotiva is coming out with a product in their Bas-X line called the TA-100 that looks like it would serve me well; and it has a phono input for my U-Turn custom Orbit TT. That's a plus (though, not entirely a necessity). The Emo piece hasn't been released yet so there are no reviews just yet. So, can you guys give me an idea of what you would also suggest for this application with a budget of maybe $1k? I don't need a lot of power due to the near field aspect (even though the LS50's aren't very sensitive).

Thanks in advance for any help here.

I think a pair would be fine in that room and you wouldn't have any trouble with them filing the room with sound. I don't own a pair, but have heard them and they put out a lot sound for such a small unit.

You probably wouldn't even need to have them on the desk, or if you did you'd be able to sit further back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1932 of 1940 Unread 07-31-2016, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
The Mrs. and I talked about my little dilemma a bit and we both agreed instead of going to the extreme of messing with the HT it would be better to convert our 'office', which is more a computer/crafts room (I have a 5 yo daughter), to double as nice little stereo listening room.
That's a fine idea! Only with speakers that good I would splurge for dedicated stands. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if you found you don't need a subwoofer with those speakers in that space. Good luck!
post #1933 of 1940 Unread 07-31-2016, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I'm toying with the idea of trying a Dennis Had Inspire SET tube amp (17 watts) to drive a pair of LS50s (25-100 watts recommended) in our living room. It's been over 50 years since I used a tube amp. The LS50s are currently being driven by a Parasound A 23 (125 watts). Does this sound like a crazy idea?
post #1934 of 1940 Unread 07-31-2016, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I'm toying with the idea of trying a Dennis Had Inspire SET tube amp (17 watts) to drive a pair of LS50s (25-100 watts recommended) in our living room. It's been over 50 years since I used a tube amp. The LS50s are currently being driven by a Parasound A 23 (125 watts). Does this sound like a crazy idea?
as long as you keep the volume moderate it should be fine. I wouldn't expect to be able to really turn them up loud though

Calibrated settings for: Sony x930d (update: 4/8/16) | LG 65EF9500
4k60hz fanless HTPC build
post #1935 of 1940 Unread 08-02-2016, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does it make a difference if the LS50 is vertical or horizontal?
post #1936 of 1940 Unread 08-10-2016, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No. Orientation doesn't matter.
post #1937 of 1940 Unread 08-10-2016, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wattage question

I'm running LS50's with a Parasound Integrated 2.1. The amp is rated at 165 WPC at 8 ohms. So likely a bit more, as the LS50's appear to be closer to 6 ohms. Am I risking blowing the speakers, or will they simply distort?

Any help appreciated. I'm new here, so I hope this is the correct place to ask this.
post #1938 of 1940 Unread 08-10-2016, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG1000 View Post
I'm running LS50's with a Parasound Integrated 2.1. The amp is rated at 165 WPC at 8 ohms. So likely a bit more, as the LS50's appear to be closer to 6 ohms. Am I risking blowing the speakers, or will they simply distort?

Any help appreciated. I'm new here, so I hope this is the correct place to ask this.
I doubt you would blow the speakers or hear distortion before they were so loud you can't stay in the room. If you are doing that, you got the wrong speakers.
Tom Grooms and dbphd like this.

post #1939 of 1940 Unread 08-12-2016, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I've been using an 80 Hz crossover from my LS50s to a pair of Velodyne HGS-10s with SMS-1 bass manager (provides acoustic room correction). Wondering what crossovers others have found effective, e.g., 60, 100, or 120 Hz. I recently put the setup together after a remodel, and have listened without the subs. It sounds good, but I prefer the sound with the subs. I set the sub output equal to that of the speakers using pink noise and an SPL meter, so you are not aware of the subs as a separate sound source.
post #1940 of 1940 Unread 08-12-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I thing you're good @ 80hz and the sms1. I personally prefer the LS50"s in smaller rooms listening near field with no sub. My LS50 system is in an 11x14 room and the main listening position is almost 7 feet away firing from the long wall. I have usable output to the low 40's (6db down @ 38hz) which is all I need for my vinyl setup.

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System