Forum Jump: 
 162Likes

post #2221 of 2227 Old 03-22-2017, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Since I replaced a processor with an Ayre preamp I haven't used subs with the LS50s, because the preamp provides no bass bass management. I had aimed at a balanced system comprised of 5-series Ayre components from disc player through preamp to amp. But I have a Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager that could high-pass to the LS50s and send bass to a pair of HGS-10s. Is the tradeoff worth it? Is removing below 80 Hz from the LS50s likely more important than all balanced?

Last night, I installed the outer bungs in the LS50s, and it seemed to tighten the bass even though the speakers are 20" from the wall behind them.

db
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 2227 Old 03-22-2017, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1812 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Since I replaced a processor with an Ayre preamp I haven't used subs with the LS50s, because the preamp provides no bass bass management. I had aimed at a balanced system comprised of 5-series Ayre components from disc player through preamp to amp. But I have a Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager that could high-pass to the LS50s and send bass to a pair of HGS-10s. Is the tradeoff worth it? Is removing below 80 Hz from the LS50s likely more important than all balanced?

Last night, I installed the outer bungs in the LS50s, and it seemed to tighten the bass even though the speakers are 20" from the wall behind them.

db
Item in bold refers.

The best way to determine this is to do a frequency sweep with both setups, then answer the following questions.

Which setup shows an overall better response?

Which setup shows compression at louder listening volumes? Which one has the lowest total harmonic distortion figures at your normal and extended listening volumes?

REW is your friend here.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #2223 of 2227 Old 03-22-2017, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope I solved the dilemma. I bought a used Bryston balanced 10B to sit between the preamp and amp. My only complaint about the LS50s is what seems to me a bit of bass boom -- not sure boom is the best description. Whatever, it wasn't there before I replaced the processor with the preamp, whereas the overall sound quality is much improved with the preamp in place.

db

post #2224 of 2227 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
I hope I solved the dilemma. I bought a used Bryston balanced 10B to sit between the preamp and amp. My only complaint about the LS50s is what seems to me a bit of bass boom -- not sure boom is the best description. Whatever, it wasn't there before I replaced the processor with the preamp, whereas the overall sound quality is much improved with the preamp in place.

db

That's an expensive solution unless you found a good deal on a used one! Curious if you're using 70Hz or 100Hz for your crossover setting?

Theater: Vizio 70" P-Series 4K Display/KEF LS50 L+R/Mirage BPS 400 Sub/Anthem MRX-300/Wyred4Sound STP-SE/Blue Circle BC 24/Outlaw 2200/Oppo BDP-83/Sound Application CF-X/GIK Acoustics Panels
Living Room: Vizio 55" M-Series 4K HDR Display/GoldenEar 3D Array X Front L+C+R/Rythmik L-12 Sub/Denon AVR-X3200/Oppo DVD-A/SACD Player/Outlaw OAW4
post #2225 of 2227 Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
That's an expensive solution unless you found a good deal on a used one! Curious if you're using 70Hz or 100Hz for your crossover setting?
I bought a used one for $1K. Now I'm less so sure about my solution. I might use the unbalanced outputs from the Ayre preamp -- some seem to think it's a sin to break the Ayre link -- to the Bryston 10B, and use it only to low-pass below 100 Hz to the subs. I put the outer bungs in the LS50s and that seemed to help. If I go around the Ayre link, I'll try using full bung. Catch is, I already have a Velodyne SMS-1 that I could use for that.

db
post #2226 of 2227 Old Today, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
I bought a used one for $1K. Now I'm less so sure about my solution. I might use the unbalanced outputs from the Ayre preamp -- some seem to think it's a sin to break the Ayre link -- to the Bryston 10B, and use it only to low-pass below 100 Hz to the subs. I put the outer bungs in the LS50s and that seemed to help. If I go around the Ayre link, I'll try using full bung. Catch is, I already have a Velodyne SMS-1 that I could use for that.

db
Every time I have tried the port plugs, it has just reduced the bass output of the KEFs, but not in a good way. Sounds like you just have a frequency imbalance in the bass with the new setup. It is producing more bass, just a little too much in certain areas. Another thing you could try is playing around with the crossover and filter setting of the Bryston, and moving the sub(s) around. And using REW to find out what is going on.

I understand the whole analog purity thing, but it really is old school. Nowadays an issue like this is easily solved with DSP. But then you have to decide where to add it to do the least harm. I would still try to high pass the LS50s somehow.
post #2227 of 2227 Old Today, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am looking to buy a new active setup and am deciding between the kef ls50w and the jbl 705p.

I do not care too much about wireless connectivity, but I would like optical input and usb, if possible. anyone know if the jbl has this?

I can't seem to find any reviews of the jbls. Does anyone have an idea how they'd compare?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System