Returning Bose Acoustimass 10 and considering Polk Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright after much discussion on my last thread and playing with my Bose AM10 I've decided I'm not satisfied with them. I think it is true that the mid-range frequency is poor on the AM. I've fiddled with my receiver and just can't get it to sound the way I think they should. I tried everything and have to humbly accept the speakers are just plain inferior. So! I've read a lot of positives on Polk Audio on New Egg and think I'm going to give them a shot.

Does anyone have any suggests on the 5.1 setup I should consider?

Would the Floorstanding Polk Monitors be worth the money? and would I still want to get a true sub with them?
I'm considering the bookshelf loud speakers for the rear surround, and possibly the front, but Im just not sure.

The Polk PSW505 12" sub looks like a good option for a sub if the Floorstanding doesn't provide enough bass.

Is my Pioneer VSX-1022 receiver an adequete receiver for a Polk setup?

I've been racking my brain trying to get the Bose to work and I'm taking them back to Best Buy on Friday. The midrange frequency made me feel like I had a Q-tip in my ear or water while listening. Drove me crazy!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I can't really hear the system until they arrive in the mail. Also, is Polk known for excellent music audio? Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-03-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Give us some specifics. What price range do you have in mind? Do you want to keep it at the same price range? How large is your room? Is it a dedicated room for home theater? What percentage music to gaming to movies do you plan to use it for? Are looks a major concern?

You will almost always want a dedicated sub for use with movies because deep bass puts the largest strain on your amplifier and speakers. If you have a dedicated sub then it takes that strain off of your AVR 's amp and the rest of your speakers and allows you to get much louder without distortion and pushing the rest of your system too hard. The Polk PSW505 is the only Polk sub I would consider. The rest of the Polk subs aren't very good.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #3 of 14 Old 10-03-2012, 02:24 PM

Ok subwoofer:
Polk audio psw505
Polk rt8 floor standing speakers
Csi 16 centre speaker
rt5 bookshelf speakers
post #4 of 14 Old 10-03-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Yes. The Polk Monitors are a good value for your money. You can get an idea of what the Polk Monitors sound like when you go to BestBuy to return the Bose. The Polk TSi series Best Buy carries is just a cosmetic upgrade over the Polk Monitors. Even though their setup is not optimum and they may not have the M70s, at least you could hear what the series sounds like. Take a music CD with you.

Your Pioneer receiver is fine for any 8 or 6 ohm rated speaker like the Polk Monitors.

The Polk Monitor30s or 40s will work for the rear, although the 40s are a little better if you can fit them in your budget and have room for their slightly larger size.

The Polk PSW505 and the BIC F12 are considered to be fairly comparable subs and good entry level choices, with the PSW505 having the edge. However, might not be worth the extra $50 over the BIC if that money would help toward your speaker budget, and there is no need to match the subwoofer brand to the other speakers. Now if you room is very big and/or you really like your bass, then I would look at the BIC PL-200. Last I heard Acoustic Sound Design would take a bid of $280. I know that they have an outdated looking website, but they are actually a very good vendor. The PL-200 is definitely up from the PSW505 and would be worth the extra $30 over it.

post #5 of 14 Old 10-26-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Alright I went thru with it and returned the Acoustimass and just got my Polk set-up on Wednesday. All I can say is the Acoustimass setup seems sad and pathetic compared to what I have now! Wow what a joke ha ha! Thank you everyone for the tips, this is the sound I've been looking for.

Got a couple quick questions though, heres my current setup:

Fronts: Polk M60
Center: Polk CS2
Rears: Polk M40
Sub: Polk 505

Should I set the speakers to LARGE or FULL? They're on small now and don't seem to pack a punch. When set to LARGE or FULL would this take away power from the sub but have a more "all-around" bass sound?

As for the subwoofer, what is the "0 & 180 degrees" on the back?

Also when managing the settings on the receiver and I adjust the dB of each speaker, this adjusts the volume coming from each individual speaker, correct?

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks!
post #6 of 14 Old 10-26-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Your Polk speakers should be set to SMALL since you have a subwoofer. Check your settings and see what crossover point was set by your receiver.

They should be around 80hz and maybe 60hz for the towers.

I'm guessing you plugged in the mic and ran MCACC calibration?

Afro GT
post #7 of 14 Old 10-26-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Yes i ran the mcacc and it set them too large and i put it back too small. It just doesnt seem like my speakers are being utilized to the extent of their capabilityon small but i understand what you mean
post #8 of 14 Old 10-26-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsig83 View Post

Yes i ran the mcacc and it set them too large and i put it back too small. It just doesnt seem like my speakers are being utilized to the extent of their capabilityon small but i understand what you mean

This is common for MCACC and Audyssey. It is not the EQ that it is setting it to "Large" or "Full" it is the receiver manufacturer by default. You want to manually set them to small since you have a subwoofer. I would try setting the crossover at 80hz and go from there.

Glad you like your setup vs Bose, I owned a Bose system for less than a few hours once and took it back as fast as I could...
post #9 of 14 Old 10-26-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah theres no way I'd go back to bose at this point, very happy I returned them.
So I just want to make sure I have this straight, since the speakers should be SMALL there is no way to really utilize the power of the monitors. Mostly just the midrange to high frequencies in a 5.1 setup?

Just curious, setting them to LARGE would distribute the sound how exactly?
post #10 of 14 Old 10-26-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh yeah theres no way I'd go back to bose at this point, very happy I returned them.
So I just want to make sure I have this straight, since the speakers should be SMALL there is no way to really utilize the power of the monitors. Mostly just the midrange to high frequencies in a 5.1 setup?
Just curious, setting them to LARGE would distribute the sound how exactly?

This is a great article:
http://www.audyssey.com/blog/2009/05/small-vs-large/
post #11 of 14 Old 10-26-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the great article. Makes a lot of sense. I feel the Polk M40s I got may have been overkill for the rear speakers. Like afrogt mentioned im going to try dropping the x over to 60 hz just to hear how it sounds.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-26-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey thanks for the great article. Makes a lot of sense. I feel the Polk M40s I got may have been overkill for the rear speakers. Like afrogt mentioned im going to try dropping the x over to 60 hz just to hear how it sounds.

Absolutely smile.gif Crossover is always a personal preference IMHO. Many bass heads who have spent lots on their subwoofers prefer 100-120hz crossover point smile.gif
post #13 of 14 Old 10-26-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:

Alright I went thru with it and returned the Acoustimass and just got my Polk set-up on Wednesday. All I can say is the Acoustimass setup seems sad and pathetic compared to what I have now! Wow what a joke ha ha! Thank you everyone for the tips, this is the sound I've been looking for.

Glad you like it. That's a nice new setup you have smile.gif

Too bad brick and mortar stores don't bother to tell people that they can buy a better sounding system with more full range speakers. If you got the Bose set at Best Buy, they lost out. They could have talked you into the Polk TSI series if they had been smart.

post #14 of 14 Old 10-26-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Ha damn thats high for a woofer. Thanks again for the help!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page