Energy Take Classic 5.1 vs BOSE WAVE SYSTEM for music ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi...

I'm planning to buy the surround set Energy Take Classic 5.1... for that I'm going to have to make a lot of space im my room and get rid of certain things...

On of those may be my Bose Wave System... BUT ONLY if the Energy is better at playing music, sound quality wise.

Do you think Energy have better sound quality for playing music, CDs specifically ???

thank you guys in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The Bose won't stand a chance. It just can't compete with a full fledged 5.1 speaker set.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #3 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 07:41 PM

You're really comparing apples and oranges here. I don't think any compact all-in-one system, whether by Bose or Bowers & Wilkins, can sound as realistic as separate speakers driven by a good amp.

A word to the wise: You are not apt to get an objective response here on anything regarding Bose. A strong anti-Bose bias exists here, as it does in most "audiophile" forums.
post #4 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, our single resident Bosephile chimes in. If you noticed I didn't bash Bose, I merely stated the fact that a small tabletop radio has no chance of competing with a full fledged system. But since you asked, the Energy's will blow away the AM5 and the AM10 too.tongue.gif

post #5 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 08:10 PM

Get the energy speakers. You wont be at all happy with bose
post #6 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM

Flying_Fool
"Ah, our single resident Bosephile chimes in. If you noticed I didn't bash Bose, I merely stated the fact that a small tabletop radio has no chance of competing with a full fledged system. But since you asked, the Energy's will blow away the AM5 and the AM10 too."

Correct: You didn't bash Bose. Nor did I accuse you of it.

If you will notice, we both gave the same advice.

I won't dispute your remark regarding the Bose Acoustimass systems vs. The Energy Takes. For one, (1) I've not heard the Energy's, but I do believe them to be a good value, from reviews I have read. (2) they are much bigger than the Acoustimass satellites, and (3) The OP asked about performance relative to his Bose Wave Radio, not the AM systems.
post #7 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

thank you all...

That's what I thought, but wanted to know opinion from more experienced folkes like you guys...

I know they are apples and oranges, but one of them has to be better overall.

Thank you guys very much.
post #8 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Enjoy your purchase! The Energy's are a great starter system.

post #9 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat56 View Post

You're really comparing apples and oranges here. I don't think any compact all-in-one system, whether by Bose or Bowers & Wilkins, can sound as realistic as separate speakers driven by a good amp.
A word to the wise: You are not apt to get an objective response here on anything regarding Bose. A strong anti-Bose bias exists here, as it does in most "audiophile" forums.
What is funny about your comment, "audiophile forum" is that this forum is really very "anti-audiophile"! Absolute disdain for biwire, fancy speaker/audio/digital cables. Hilarity at "magic dots, green markers, etc". The members of this forum generally feel "all amps sound the same, given competent design", different DAC's are pretty much indistinguishable from one another, again unless one has serious design or quality issues.
Really a pretty much down to earth bunch. If you cant measure, or see the difference, then any difference there is doesnt really matter!
post #10 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:

Actually, there's not much bias here ("bias" typically implies an unfair assessment). Their is a large community consensus that Bose speakers are not a good value, but it is based on objective data and critical reasoning. There is plenty of supporting evidence.

On the other hand, an example of a rather uninformed opinion would be, "I hung my Bose 901s from the ceiling and they sound great; therefore, Bose is a good company and all their speakers are good." eek.gif

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #11 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 10:58 PM

jdcrox: "What is funny about your comment, "audiophile forum" is that this forum is really very "anti-audiophile"! Absolute disdain for biwire, fancy speaker/audio/digital cables. Hilarity at "magic dots, green markers, etc". The members of this forum generally feel "all amps sound the same, given competent design", different DAC's are pretty much indistinguishable from one another, again unless one has serious design or quality issues.
Really a pretty much down to earth bunch. If you cant measure, or see the difference, then any difference there is doesnt really matter!"

I'll take your word for that. But I really wasn't considering the audiophile divide of objectivist and subjectivist camps. I probably should have said "audio forums" instead of "audiophile forums". Thanks for pointing out the difference.
post #12 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hi Oscar, and welcome to AVS,

That Energy system is much better than the Bose. Dont look back.
If you care about build quality, sound quality, and value for your $... Bose isn't any of those.

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #13 of 25 Old 10-06-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Quote:

Actually, there's not much bias here ("bias" typically implies an unfair assessment). Their is a large community consensus that Bose speakers are not a good value, but it is based on objective data and critical reasoning. There is plenty of supporting evidence.

On the other hand, an example of a rather uninformed opinion would be, "I hung my Bose 901s from the ceiling and they sound great; therefore, Bose is a good company and all their speakers are good." eek.gif

Not much bias? You're hilarious! What are you, the AVS Minister of Disinformation? If you can't see any bias in the quote below, you're either that, or you're blind. As for your example, no one has said anything remotely resembling that. More disinformation and distortion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

Hi Oscar, and welcome to AVS,

That Energy system is much better than the Bose. Dont look back.
If you care about build quality, sound quality, and value for your $... Bose isn't any of those.

Define "better". In what way? He has a Wave system. It is a one-piece product the size of a boot box. You're comparing it to 5.1 suite of speakers. Do you not see any imbalance there?

Many here are like a hive of bees that gets disturbed and goes crazy stinging everything in sight. I have disturbed the nest and the little bees are all a-buzz! Now you're slamming Bose because their one-piece doesn't sound like a conventional 5.1 component system! And just when I thought it couldn't get any weirder!
post #14 of 25 Old 10-06-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

But since you asked, the Energy's will blow away the AM5 and the AM10 too.tongue.gif

...except...I didn't ask. Nor did the OP.
post #15 of 25 Old 10-06-2012, 12:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As for your example, no one has said anything remotely resembling that.
Quote:

My pair of 901's are hanging 18" from the ceiling, 17" from the front wall and 37" from the side walls. . . .Call me a recycled Bose fan-boy! tongue.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #16 of 25 Old 10-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

wow. all I can say.

The OP, Oscar, wants a surround system. He wants to know if it's better than his 'boot box' unit he currently owns. The answer is yes.

To respond like you did shows your bias.

"Better" is my opinion, which is what the OP was asking for... others' opinions. He can take it or leave it. I just hope he can see from your vitriolic response where your 'bias' lies.

To add a little skin to the game, I've posted an open invitation in the "I'll demo my speakers..." AND the "I'll demo my subwoofers..." thread, for any member here to come into MY HOUSE, to hear for themselves. Have you?

post #17 of 25 Old 10-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...except...I didn't ask. Nor did the OP.

He did ask. Reread the third sentece in the first post. He can bring his Bose ... crap... with him, into my house, and compare it directly to my system. It's by no means extravagant or incredibly expensive, and certainly nothing that would be considered 'audiophile'.

And before you dismiss me as a "Bose basher"... yes, I am, and I can back it up, and I'm willing to let him come to my house, with anything he wants to bring, to compare. All I've seen from you is ... umm... an opinion, and bitterness toward anyone that disagrees with yours. Care to back it up in a meaningful way? Would you be open to someone that disagrees with you bringing their system into your house for a comparison?

post #18 of 25 Old 10-06-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys...

I understand the difference in liking Bose or not. I bought the Wave System months ago with a lot of sacrifice, directly from Bose, and I loved the sound. But there was one problem... the cd player failed within 3 months, just as I read in some forums and decided to ignore. Bose fixed it and now works perfectly but I lost some confident in the brand now and I'm afraid it breaks again sometime in the near future, as has happened to some people in the same case as mine.

Now I have a bettter job, And now I can buy an Energy Take Classic with a great receiver and a new blu player. And if that would bring an even better experience in sound quality not only for movies but for my music, then I know I won't be needing my Bose Wave anymore.
post #19 of 25 Old 10-06-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1350
Quote:

A strong anti-Bose bias exists here
True, justifiably so.
Quote:
as it does in most "audiophile" forums.
This isn't an audiophile forum. It's an audio science forum. And while once upon a time being an audiophile tended to go hand in hand with having an actual understanding of the science of how audio works, that hasn't been the case for at least 20 years, as too high a percentage of those who today proclaim themselves to be audiophiles have little to no understanding of the science of audio, but rather equate price with results. That view is regularly poo-pooed here, to no less a degree than is Bose. Yet despite being ridiculously over-priced even audiophiles shun Bose, leaving only those who don't know anything about how audio works nor have any appreciation of how good gear really sounds as the Bose customer base. But along with the poor and the ignorant God surely must love them as well, seeing how many of them He created.
The good news is that those who don't know how audio works and what good sound is can learn. And that is why most of us are here, to either learn or to teach. Unfortunately there remain a few who do neither.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #20 of 25 Old 10-06-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 42
W/the Energy 5.1 you'll get better detail and w/the addition of an active sub a tighter more defined bottom. But don't just limit your enjoyment of music to one room, the Wave would make a nice addition to your bedroom for late night or morning listening. You could also move it around to another room or outdoor patio where you don't have music. A very mobile alternative.
post #21 of 25 Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

well... that's a very good suggestion, haven't thought in that option before. Thankyou
post #22 of 25 Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If this helps, Newegg has the Energy 5.0 set (no sub) for $169 this weekend. That's a good route to go because you can then get a better sub. If you need a small one, this Mirage Omni S8 is a good one. And in fact, Mirage and Energy have the same parent company and use the same subs rebranded: that sub is equivalent to the Energy S8.3 sub. No longer made in the Energy model, but a step up from the one that comes with the Take 5.1 package.

post #23 of 25 Old 10-06-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:

If this helps, Newegg has the Energy 5.0 set (no sub) for $169 this weekend. That's a good route to go because you can then get a better sub. If you need a small one, this Mirage Omni S8 is a good one. And in fact, Mirage and Energy have the same parent company and use the same subs rebranded: that sub is equivalent to the Energy S8.3 sub. No longer made in the Energy model, but a step up from the one that comes with the Take 5.1 package.
i already purchased the energy from newegg with the denon 1612 avs. now im missing the sub. my sub budget is 200. which one is better for my set up this one BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer or this one Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer.

is either of one is a good compatible for my speakers and receiver? thanks.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #24 of 25 Old 10-06-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Awesome. You got a good deal smile.gif

Either sub will work fine with your speakers and receiver.

There have been debates on the AVS subwoofer forum over which is better. The consensus seems to lean toward the PSW505 as maybe being a little bit better for music. However, because they are more similar than different, the way in which the sub responds in your room will probably be the determining factor. Since you can't predict that, either is about as likely to be a good choice. If you have some reason to go with one over the other, I'd say go with your choice.

post #25 of 25 Old 10-06-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:

Awesome. You got a good deal smile.gif
Either sub will work fine with your speakers and receiver.
There have been debates on the AVS subwoofer forum over which is better. The consensus seems to lean toward the PSW505 as maybe being a little bit better for music. However, because they are more similar than different, the way in which the sub responds in your room will probably be the determining factor. Since you can't predict that, either is about as likely to be a good choice. If you have some reason to go with one over the other, I'd say go with your choice.

ok thanks a lot sir. it is a nice advice.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page