Best speakers for ~ $1000 for a fairly small room? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 90 Old 10-13-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wow really? Where is this? 20% off of a Studio 20 could be just over $1100, which is comfortably in my budget. I don't suppose it's in CA is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 PM

Liked: 10
Sorry meant to say Studio 60's... Im on my wifi card and the connection is slow, it would not allow me to edit my last post.

post #63 of 90 Old 10-13-2012, 09:51 PM

They are $799 each where I went... 20% off that is $640 each. Sorry not in CA... in Kansas smile.gif

post #64 of 90 Old 10-13-2012, 09:56 PM

So basically with the 20% off... I would be getting them for MSRP... LOL. Unless the price went up, the review I read said the MSRP is 1200 a pair, but that review was from 2010... What is the MSRP on them now?

post #65 of 90 Old 10-13-2012, 10:31 PM

Check out this site.... I wrote them and asked if they were v5.

http://bestofaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=9290

Looks like they only come in Black though

post #66 of 90 Old 10-13-2012, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

I'm looking into bestofaudio but so far it's not looking good. They don't exactly seem particularly... legitimate.
post #67 of 90 Old 10-14-2012, 06:17 AM

Yeah, they seem shady. Though someone said that they did receive their items from them but the serial numbers were removed... lol.

post #68 of 90 Old 10-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

I'm looking into bestofaudio but so far it's not looking good. They don't exactly seem particularly... legitimate.

They ARE NOT authorized to sell the products, and if they can get them at all it is through "back channels"

NO FACTORY SUPPORT!
Quote:
Best of Audio matches the terms of the manufacture warranty policies from the date of purchase. Warranty Coverage is included in the price of the purchased product by insurance www.warrantech.com who is contracted directly by BestofAudio.com.

Most manufactures products that are represented for sale by BestofAudio.com do not offer free warranty when purchased from none authorize reseller.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #69 of 90 Old 10-14-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1190
Quote:

It says right on their site 'Our inventory has been purchased from going out of business ventures',, so they're no less legitimate than than places like Big Lots etc.
Lots of places go out of business, their inventory has to get sold somewhere.
eyeguy1 likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #70 of 90 Old 10-14-2012, 11:28 AM

It's this that I have questions about....
""We also accept paypal payments for customers that have paypal account (please do not use paypal at check out to process your credit card, we understand that there are logo's but paypal system is not active at the moment to process credit cards). """

So basically you can use paypal to pay with (which has buyer protection) but you can't use your credit card through paypal. You can only use your bank account through paypal (which will still give you buyer protection).

Sounds like if you don't care about a warranty then this is a valid option. Considering that the price is half MSRP.

post #71 of 90 Old 10-14-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

It's not the lack of warranty I'm worried about, but whether they'll actually ship what I buy. If it's a scam, they could be here one day and gone the next. I suppose paypal protection could help, but I'm not exactly looking forward to a lengthy dispute process if something goes wrong.

Their price isn't half of MSRP though? Their Studio 20s are selling for $500/each which is $1000/pair, roughly the price of a good used pair. Retail is about $1300/pair I think, but I'm not really sure - some reviews say they got them for $1400, others for $1300/pair. Does anyone actually know the official MSRP of Paradigm Studio 20s? I've been trying to find this.

> So basically you can use paypal to pay with (which has buyer protection) but you can't use your credit card through paypal. You can only use your bank account through paypal (which will still give you buyer protection).

That makes no sense. Paypal is paypal, from their perspective. It shouldn't matter which internal method you use in your paypal, because the whole point of paypal is it handles the transaction for you/them.
post #72 of 90 Old 10-14-2012, 12:24 PM

It makes total sense. They say they can take paypal but not credit cards through paypal because their system is not setup to take credit cards through paypal.

post #73 of 90 Old 10-14-2012, 12:27 PM

Paypal may "handle" the payments but you're still charging to your credit card, not paypal

post #74 of 90 Old 10-14-2012, 12:41 PM

now that I think about it more, it doesn't make sense. I'm sure I've accepted credit card payments for my items before and I didn't have to do anything set that up. I'm not sure what the deal is about that. They say they will take credit card payment over the phone but not through paypal. Which sounds to me that if you give them your card info they could charge whatever they want on the card. But through paypal you would have the power of how much $$ to pay them.

But if they were to pull something like that, they would all be in prison already.

post #75 of 90 Old 10-14-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, paypal acts as a "buffer" for payments. Each side should not care, or even know, what means of payment or withdrawal the other side is using.

For example, right now I could use paypal to buy them because I have a positive paypal credit balance from selling other things. Where does this money come from? Not from my credit card, or my bank account, or any of my accounts. In my case, it's from things I sold. From their end, what do they see if I were to buy something from them? Just a paypal payment to them. They have no way of knowing what method of payment you use in your paypal account. All they know is whether or not they got the money.

Anyway I doubt I'd buy from them unless I have more reason to believe they're legitimate. Where are they even located?

Also, apparently Paradigm Studio 20s MSRP is now $1500, and the price has gone up over the last few months for the SAME model. Strange. Well... this is what the dealers here told me.
post #76 of 90 Old 10-15-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help to everyone! After a ton of research, a lot of auditioning, and a lot of consideration, I've finally pieced together what I think will be the best performance/value for my price range (and easily well beyond). It's all ordered and now all I have to do is wait for it to come in!

Here is what I ended up going with. I have no previous speaker equipment and am starting from scratch so this includes everything:

Speakers: Paradigm Reference Studio 10 v5 - New / open-box. $740 shipped
Subwoofer: HSU STF-2 - New. $387 shipped
Receiver: Harmon Kardon HK 3490 - New. $330 shipped
Speaker wires, banana plugs, and various connectors: $25 shipped from Monoprice.

So the total amount spent (including shipping, tax etc.) for the entire system comes to $1483, which is just perfectly under my max stretch limit. I'm getting this system essentially as a net $0 swap/trade, due to my sold equipment from my previous headphone rigs paying for everything.

What I like about this setup is that the Studio 10 plus a solid subwoofer totals to considerably less than a Studio 20, and should sound much better overall. My reasoning for the Studio 10s versus the 20s is due to reading multiple reviews where each reviewer mentioned that the Studio 10 sounds just as good as the 20s in everything except less bass extension. Also, the Studio 10 has the exact same tweeter, and the same woofer coils etc. The only difference is the smaller box (which actually is better for my small room) and smaller overall woofer size. Since the reduced cost allows me to add a good sub, I get an overall higher quality, more full sound for less price overall.

Edit: Also I should clarify on my speaker choice. Ultimately I chose the Paradigm Studio due to sonic preference, since it's most likely around the same general sound quality level as the Ascend Sierra-1s. I've come to realize that I tend to prefer the more forward and crisp treble of a metal tweeter, versus the soft domes as found in the Ascend Sierra.
post #77 of 90 Old 10-15-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Nice setup! Let us know what you think of it after you get it smile.gif

post #78 of 90 Old 10-15-2012, 01:48 PM

Sounds like a nice system ac500. Let us know how you like it when it comes in.

Now I have a question smile.gif I posted this in the paradigm owners thread but no responses......

I'm looking to upgrade my home theater system... I'm looking at Studio 20's and Studio 60's. I have an SVS PC-12-NSD subwoofer.
I'm wanting to know which would sound better between the 20's and 60's? Someone mentioned that they read a review that said the 20's sounded better than the 100's.

Do I really need the woofers that the 60's provide given that I already have a sub? Also, I noticed the difference in size of the midrange on the 20's (7 in) and 60's (5-1/2 in), how much of adifference does the size make. I want to get a full range of sound out of my system.

I was able to listen to the 20's and they sounded great. I was not able to listen to the 60's.... the dealer told me that only people with small rooms (those who don't have the room for towers) buy the 20's. I have the room for either. Given the total change in direction as to what speakers I should get, I actually forgot to listen to the 60's, they were in a different room.

Question is, what would be the best (20's or 60's) for a home theater system... I will also be listening to music, but not as much as HT.

Also, what center channel would work best for my setup? The Studio CC-490 or Studio CC-590 ... I'm sure the 590 would be the best, but do I need it?

Thanks

post #79 of 90 Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

wichitadisciple no offense -- and this isn't a problem to me -- but I noticed you've been posting pretty much the same copy-paste text across many different threads. This is illustrated by the fact that you've asked this exact same off-topic question verbatim on this very thread (which we tried to answer) two separate times. The only reason I mention this is because some forums I use are very strict against spamming/hijacking -- I don't know if this is the case here, but you might want to be more careful, and just in general post questions with less duplication/spamming and to places more context-appropriate.

Anyway I'll definitely post an update with my impressions when they come!
post #80 of 90 Old 10-15-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:

wichitadisciple no offense -- and this isn't a problem to me -- but

If it "isn't a problem to you", why are you complaining about it? This is an audio/video FORUM, we are here to ask/answer questions. If we already knew the answers we would not be here. If I want to ask a question on a A/V forum about A/V things then I will.

I posted my question twice, once on the paradigm owners thread and once here (since we are obviously talking about Paradigms here)... Nobody has tried to answer my question here, I've had someone tell me that they've heard the older versions but not the newer. And you yourself said that you didn't know the answer, not sure how that constitutes "answering" my question.

As far as me posting a link to another thread, I was trying to get the guy some help since he was not getting any. Shame on me!!!rolleyes.gif

Hijacking a thread would be for me to post in your thread a link to my thread OR to talk about something completely unrelated to the thread. I have done neither and if I did a mod would have already said something.

It's not all about you and if I want to help you or someone else out by asking people to check out a thread then I'll do it, regardless if it hurts your feelings. We are a community, we are ALL here to help eachother... are we not?

How is my post "off topic" We are talking about Paradigm Studio 20's arent we??? Which illustrates you haven't been paying attention.

You have had all your questions answered and you have bought your system. Come back when you have an update, hope you like them.

post #81 of 90 Old 10-22-2012, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How long until they show up, ac500?

Congrats, and I'm interested in your thoughts...

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #82 of 90 Old 10-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wichitadisciple View Post

It's not all about you and if I want to help you or someone else out by asking people to check out a thread then I'll do it, regardless if it hurts your feelings. We are a community, we are ALL here to help eachother... are we not?
How is my post "off topic" We are talking about Paradigm Studio 20's arent we??? Which illustrates you haven't been paying attention.
You have had all your questions answered and you have bought your system. Come back when you have an update, hope you like them.

He is the OP, so yeah, it's his thread.rolleyes.gif
post #83 of 90 Old 10-22-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

I don't mind anything being posted here really, as long as it's posted by a human with care to the actual thread context. When he posted the same off-topic question the second time on this same thread (see the previous page to compare), I figure he's just spamming without keeping track of which threads he's spammed.

Last week when someone else argued with him on this thread regarding whether it's off topic, wichitadisciple responded with flames, discriminatory insults, etc. (stupidly calling people names that I shouldn't repeat even on the internet). I reported his post and so a mod removed all of that discussion. Anyway I figure my original suspicion that he's a spammer/troll type is confirmed, but it's best not to feed the troll so I'm glad its over.

nlpearman: They should be here tuesday or at least wednesday. I'll definitely post impressions!
nlpearman likes this.
post #84 of 90 Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 PM

Let us know how you like them ac.... I may be interested in adding the monitor 10's as surrounds to my setup.

post #85 of 90 Old 10-23-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well they've arrived today, and so far I'm quite happy with them even placed on my desk, in combination with my subwoofer. I'm going to do experiments regarding positioning, but right now, they sound pretty stunning for some songs. Not as good as my HD800 obviously in terms of raw detail, but close enough to make me happy. I'm really happy with the overall sound signature too - it has enough treble presence to make classical sound good, but not so much as to make anything unpleasant, and at least with my subwoofer, it beautifully renders warm soft music too without any signs of being too revealing of bad recordings. That's pretty astounding in of itself IMO, but maybe this is a speaker thing - the ability to be both detailed with crisp present treble AND not ruin bad recordings.

My only concern is that placing then on my desk probably does lead to a sub-optimal soundstage, as the specially treated room at the audio store with the speakers on stands was better obviously, and I think being on a desk detracts from the midbass too (but the subwoofer fills in the rest nicely).

Overall I'm very happy right now. I can only imagine that taking them off my hyper-reflective desk onto proper stands at a proper distance would only make them sound much much better, too, although I really like what I'm hearing already.
post #86 of 90 Old 10-24-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

After more testing, I'm definitely really happy with these. They handle classical music (violin, piano, harpsichord, choir, etc.) brilliantly well to my ears (I'm definitely a fan of metal tweeters). And what's really impressive of how they sound amazing such a wide range of music that didn't necessarily sound so good on my HD800s. However keep in mind that this impression is in combination with my subwoofer. My impression of its versatility may be different if I turn it off and lose the <60hz spectrum.

They fill the room quite nicely now and the FR sweep sounds very flat with only minor equalization tweaks. Later I'll experiment with stands probably, but soon I'm going to try foam isolation because I feel some resonation in the desk.
nlpearman likes this.
post #87 of 90 Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

I should now add that I'm even more happy with these after fixing what I had originally interpreted as bad acoustics. My room still has bad acoustics I'm sure, but the midbass issue I noted was actually due to a stupid error on my part. In my excitement after receiving them, I had rigged them up with the right speaker's polarity reversed. This means that each speaker is 180 degrees out of phase with the other, and therefore the frequency respond would be all messed up especially for lower frequencies due to how harmonic canceling works. After fixing this, they sound WAY better now, and are really even more impressive than before. In particular the hole in the midbass I mentioned earlier is gone now that they're not sound-canceling each other biggrin.gif
post #88 of 90 Old 10-27-2012, 11:22 PM

Did you break in the speakers before you started listening to them? I've read some reviews recently...mainly on other forums... and some say the Monitor Series speakers are harsh when brand new. Someone even went as far as saying that they sounded like "fingernails being dragged down a chalkboard". Was that your experience or did they sound great right out of the box? It was also said on that forum that they needed to be broken in for at least 20 hours before they sound right.

I'll be picking up my Monitor 60's soon and wanted to know what to expect. I also grabbed a used SVS PC-Ultra last week and that set me back $675... so it's taking a litte longer for me to get my towers and center. I read about using "pink noise" to break them in, not sure what pink noise it though.

post #89 of 90 Old 10-28-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by wichitadisciple View Post

I'll be picking up my Monitor 60's soon and wanted to know what to expect. I also grabbed a used SVS PC-Ultra last week and that set me back $675... so it's taking a litte longer for me to get my towers and center. I read about using "pink noise" to break them in, not sure what pink noise it though.

Don't worry about pink noise. Just run regular music through them at a moderately loud listening volume. They'll break in just fine. You can leave it on your favorite FM station when going to work, or run a CD of mixed types of music on shuffle and replay.

post #90 of 90 Old 10-28-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Don't worry about pink noise. Just run regular music through them at a moderately loud listening volume. They'll break in just fine. You can leave it on your favorite FM station when going to work, or run a CD of mixed types of music on shuffle and replay.

That's what I'll do then, Thanks

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page