What part of an A/V system does one general upgrade first? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a mediocre system in my small NYC apartment (500sf): Onkyo TX 304 receiver, Polk Audio rm-6750 HTIB (with sub), Apple TV and a Panny 1080i plasma.
I dont necessarily need a new Amp as I have plenty of power for my small space (and dont need 7.1 either) although it would be nice to pass-thru HDMI.

I have limited funds ($500 tops); what would you do first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Speakers first.

edit: just realized you had a HTIAB...speakers may not be a possibility...but if you can, that should be first.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-07-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Usually I would say speakers, but your AVR lacks HDMI and all of the latest decoding. I would get a new AVR. The Denon entry level AVRs would be a good addition.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?pcatid=avsolutions(denonna)&catid=avreceivers(denonna)&catalog=denonna_us&pid=avr1513(denonna)

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #4 of 13 Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Usually I would say speakers, but your AVR lacks HDMI and all of the latest decoding. I would get a new AVR. The Denon entry level AVRs would be a good addition.
http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?pcatid=avsolutions(denonna)&catid=avreceivers(denonna)&catalog=denonna_us&pid=avr1513(denonna)

Actually, after reading a 3rd time, I realized the HTIAB was the speakers not the receiver. That said, I think I agree with flying here. Your current speakers will still hook up to a new receiver, and you'll be able to enjoy all the latest encoding schemes. And get HDMI smile.gif
post #5 of 13 Old 10-07-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst View Post

Actually, after reading a 3rd time, I realized the HTIAB was the speakers not the receiver. That said, I think I agree with flying here. Your current speakers will still hook up to a new receiver, and you'll be able to enjoy all the latest encoding schemes. And get HDMI smile.gif

Will I notice a change in the sound by having these new encoding schemes? (what am I missing now)
That said (and this likely becomes a receiver-thread) but through my research I found that the Onkyo-TX-NR609 seems to be the best mid-range receiver (id like to do some future proofing and go with a 7.2).

Would you guys agree with that?
post #6 of 13 Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

The Onkyo is a good receiver, but I think the Denon operates speakers down to 4 ohm whereas the Onkyo doesn't. Not 100% sure though. You will get pass through, and TrueDolby HD which I think sounds better than Digital Dolby.

post #7 of 13 Old 10-07-2012, 07:20 PM

The Onkyo NR609 only has Audyssey 2EQ whereas you can get an equally priced Denon with MultEQ XT which is far and away better than the 2EQ.

Since you're in a 500sqft apartment, I'd focus on upgrading the fronts and center and build up from there. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier. For $500, you can get a couple of Polk Monitor 60's and a Polk CS1 from NewEgg and still have money left over to get a decent sub. I picked up a 15 year old Klipsch KSW-100 sub off of Craigslist for $40 that would do wonders in a 500sqft apartment. You can do something similar and then upgrade the sub later if need be. The Onkyo you currently have will do just fine for your space. If you add a Blu-ray player in to the mix later, then you'd probably want to look at upgrading to a newer receiver with HDMI and the latest processing.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-07-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
2 quality front speakers for stereo music and to use as HT mains (phantom center). Keep the HTIB ones in surround with the sub for HT use, but not for stereo listening. Then the receiver.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 767
I agree with the last two posters. Start with the speakers. Either left/right or left/right and center.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #10 of 13 Old 10-07-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post

The Onkyo NR609 only has Audyssey 2EQ whereas you can get an equally priced Denon with MultEQ XT which is far and away better than the 2EQ.
Since you're in a 500sqft apartment, I'd focus on upgrading the fronts and center and build up from there. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier. For $500, you can get a couple of Polk Monitor 60's and a Polk CS1 from NewEgg and still have money left over to get a decent sub. I picked up a 15 year old Klipsch KSW-100 sub off of Craigslist for $40 that would do wonders in a 500sqft apartment. You can do something similar and then upgrade the sub later if need be. The Onkyo you currently have will do just fine for your space. If you add a Blu-ray player in to the mix later, then you'd probably want to look at upgrading to a newer receiver with HDMI and the latest processing.

I will look into that; thanks.

What is the exact model number on those Polks? Also, that center looks a bit too bulky for my tatse (I have limited space).
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

2 quality front speakers for stereo music and to use as HT mains (phantom center). Keep the HTIB ones in surround with the sub for HT use, but not for stereo listening. Then the receiver.

What do you mean by "phantom center"?
post #11 of 13 Old 10-08-2012, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

A phantom center is when you don't actually have a center speaker and the AVR uses the front two mains and some audio processing to create an illusion of a center channel speaker by making the dialogue appear like it is coming from where a center channel would be. A lot of guys here actually prefer a phantom center over a real center channel.

post #13 of 13 Old 10-08-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Since you are in a NYC apartment, I would probably concentrate more on the video side, but to do that so that it can help all sources, you will need an AVR that has HDMI.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page