A Big Thanks to Everyone in the Speakers Forum - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-08-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to thank everyone here for helping me with my system. I'm no audiophile but your tips have made a huge difference in my set up. I was running an old KLH center with Polk TSI100's with a Yamaha sub and a pair of old Optimus rears for 5.1. The center started having issues so I came here for suggestions since the matching Polk CS20 center would not fit my space and smaller centers like the Polk TL3 were too bright. I ended up getting an Energy CC-5 and thought it sounded good with the Polk's but most people here said the fronts should match so I bought the Energy CB-5's to test. The difference is absolutely incredible. I don't even know how to describe it, almost as if there is one huge speaker across the front of the room. I have missed out for years by having a crappy center that didn't match my fronts. Even my wife could hear the difference!

I also learned here that bipole speakers were the best surrounds for my room shape so I bought these http://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Technology-2200SR-BLK-Dipole-Bipole-Surround/dp/B001P05N7E . They are huge and my wife thinks they are ugly hanging on the wall but agrees that the sound in the room is so good now that it's worth the eyesore. She actually agrees with me about something!

Again, thanks to all the experts here who give their knowledge and to the people who ask the questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-08-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrich999 View Post

I want to thank everyone here for helping me with my system. I'm no audiophile but your tips have made a huge difference in my set up. I was running an old KLH center with Polk TSI100's with a Yamaha sub and a pair of old Optimus rears for 5.1. The center started having issues so I came here for suggestions since the matching Polk CS20 center would not fit my space and smaller centers like the Polk TL3 were too bright. I ended up getting an Energy CC-5 and thought it sounded good with the Polk's but most people here said the fronts should match so I bought the Energy CB-5's to test. The difference is absolutely incredible. I don't even know how to describe it, almost as if there is one huge speaker across the front of the room. I have missed out for years by having a crappy center that didn't match my fronts. Even my wife could hear the difference!
I also learned here that bipole speakers were the best surrounds for my room shape so I bought these http://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Technology-2200SR-BLK-Dipole-Bipole-Surround/dp/B001P05N7E . They are huge and my wife thinks they are ugly hanging on the wall but agrees that the sound in the room is so good now that it's worth the eyesore. She actually agrees with me about something!
Again, thanks to all the experts here who give their knowledge and to the people who ask the questions.

That is awesome. Cool for you to post your thanks. Without AVS, I would still be ignorant too smile.gif
post #3 of 11 Old 10-08-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

That is awesome. Cool for you to post your thanks. Without AVS, I would still be ignorant too smile.gif

Question then. Should I crossover at 80 or 100 hz?
post #4 of 11 Old 10-08-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Question then. Should I crossover at 80 or 100 hz?

What subwoofer do you own? I typically start at 80hz and then go from there. Depending on where your sub is placed and your ears, you may be able to "localize" the bass coming from the subwoofer and it may not sound as integrated as if it was coming from your main speakers. Very few people can localize bass 80hz and below so that is why it is a recommended starting point. With those Energy speakers I doubt I would go lower than 80hz.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-08-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What subwoofer do you own? I typically start at 80hz and then go from there. Depending on where your sub is placed and your ears, you may be able to "localize" the bass coming from the subwoofer and it may not sound as integrated as if it was coming from your main speakers. Very few people can localize bass 80hz and below so that is why it is a recommended starting point. With those Energy speakers I doubt I would go lower than 80hz.

It's a Yamaha YST-SW216 I got at radio Shack years ago for cheap. I would love to have a better one with more range and subtlety but cannot justify it to the wife, she already thinks I'm crazy. Where I have it placed integrates well at 100, if by that you mean that if I close my eyes I can't point to where it is. Bass sounds like it is coming from the fronts and center. I have a terrible open floor plan so it does have sweet spots. Thanks for your help. I'll try 80 and see if there's a difference.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-08-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a Yamaha YST-SW216 I got at radio Shack years ago for cheap. I would love to have a better one with more range and subtlety but cannot justify it to the wife, she already thinks I'm crazy. Where I have it placed integrates well at 100, if by that you mean that if I close my eyes I can't point to where it is. Bass sounds like it is coming from the fronts and center. I have a terrible open floor plan so it does have sweet spots. Thanks for your help. I'll try 80 and see if there's a difference.

Not ripping on your sub, but yes with a big open floor plan there would be more suitable subs, and a subwoofer can make all the difference. Absolutely experiment with the crossover. Go with what sound the best. 100hz may be preferable.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-08-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
If your wife can even tell the difference then that says it all! wink.gif.

Seriously, I'm happy it all worked out for you.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #8 of 11 Old 10-20-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not ripping on your sub, but yes with a big open floor plan there would be more suitable subs, and a subwoofer can make all the difference. Absolutely experiment with the crossover. Go with what sound the best. 100hz may be preferable.

After your suggestion I have been researching and the Bic f12 looks like a good choice that my wife will approve pricewise It's just so big though, cabinet wise that I think she will go ballistic when she sees this monster. Do you have any suggestions for 10" that would be a better fit for impact and size?

Thanks!

R
post #9 of 11 Old 10-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
sorry , late to the game here...

but I wouldn't worry much about the size of the sub. Repeat after me... "no dear, it's just right".. followed by " really, it'll be fine"... and "look, there are other subs I considered, but they were much bigger, and I thought this was the best compromise" ... and then show her some monsters like a HSU VTF 15 (make sure it's on a page that lists the price) and repeat, "for the $$, this is the best available without going overboard" smile.gif Then flash your best smile... and say... "lets just watch a movie and see...".

Always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. rolleyes.gif

hope it helps,
Joseph

The white zone is for loading, and unloading, only. If you need to load, or unload, please go to the white zone.... you'll love it, it's a way of life.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

sorry , late to the game here...
but I wouldn't worry much about the size of the sub. Repeat after me... "no dear, it's just right".. followed by " really, it'll be fine"... and "look, there are other subs I considered, but they were much bigger, and I thought this was the best compromise" ... and then show her some monsters like a HSU VTF 15 (make sure it's on a page that lists the price) and repeat, "for the $$, this is the best available without going overboard" smile.gif Then flash your best smile... and say... "lets just watch a movie and see...".
Always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. rolleyes.gif
hope it helps,
Joseph

Or...show her the closet full of dresses/scarves/purses/jackets she never wears and ask her to call it a draw...rolleyes.gif

post #11 of 11 Old 10-21-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I'm going to order the F12. The dimensions on Amazon and other places is 22x19x21 inches but Bic's website has 17x15x17. I'll find out which is correct when it gets here.

Randy

EDIT: Bit the bullet and got the PL-200 instead.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page