~$2000 to spend on First 5.1 setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some input on my first home theater setup. Just some background info...I'm sharing a house with a couple of friends while I finish up my EE degree. I built an HTPC a few months ago that I've been storing blu-ray rips on and thought it would be fun to take advantage of surround sound. Right now, I'm planning to put the setup in our living room (22 x 16 ish) and then take the setup with me when I graduate and move into my own place. I'm not sure if I'll be moving into an apartment or looking to buy a house first, so some flexibility with the system would be good.

A friend suggested I look at the HSU 5.1 setups that use the HB-1 and HC-1 speakers. Currently, the setup with the ULS-15 subwoofer looks the best because of the flexibility provided by the wireless sub. I have a Denon 2112CI that I managed to snag for a pretty good price and am hoping to have something to demo or in place by Thanksgiving so we can enjoy it over the coming holidays.

I'm working a pretty well paying co-op at AMD right now so I have pretty decent amount set aside to spend. I'd like to keep the LCR, rears, and sub under $2000ish. Suggestions are appreciated. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I have heard those HSU speakers as well as the ULS15--I think it would make a fine system.

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I've read good things about the hsu. I'm not sure the ULS15 is the best sub to get. Mainly because it will eat up half your budget. Maybe more. I would get a less expensive ported sub and spend more on the other 5 speakers.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 633
The ULS is a great subwoofer, but it doesn't have the output capability of the VTF15h. If you are only going to get one subwoofer, I would swing for the VTF15h sub, and if you end up needing wireless connectivity, I would just get a wireless sub adapter like this one.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

The ULS is a great subwoofer, but it doesn't have the output capability of the VTF15h. If you are only going to get one subwoofer, I would swing for the VTF15h sub, and if you end up needing wireless connectivity, I would just get a wireless sub adapter like this one.

+1 Hsu makes great speakers and subs
post #6 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 2246
fwiw another good choice to look at would be the ascend acoustics cmt340se 's for lcr and a pair of htm-200 for surrounds ($1154 shipped) or with a pair the cbm-170's for surrounds( $1212) and a svs pb12-nsd sub $769

or
home theater direct level 3 towers and center for lcr and a pair of level3 bookshelves for surrounds ($1300) and the svs sub

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #7 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My main concern with the VTF15H is that I'm not 100% sure if I'll be moving into an apartment or another house next. I figure if I move into an apartment the ULS-15 will be a pretty good choice and if I move into a house I can always splurge for another sub afterwards.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitericerocket View Post

My main concern with the VTF15H is that I'm not 100% sure if I'll be moving into an apartment or another house next. I figure if I move into an apartment the ULS-15 will be a pretty good choice and if I move into a house I can always splurge for another sub afterwards.
You can never have too much subwoofage. That is what the gain/volume knob is for.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page