Putting together first decent system, need some help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2012, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a well-rounded system that can play music (Rock/Metal), movies (want to hear voices, and have great sounding effects) and games.
I'd appreciate any help getting rid of brands/speakers that don't fit my media requirements, or help identifying great deals. I have listed below a few decent looking speakers/sets on craigslist. I have also listed subs, which I would really appreciate any input as I think this piece will make me the most happy/sad. Again, ANY help appreciated, as I have put many days into researching these speakers and have essentially got nowhere in narrowing them down. Im also unsure what speakers would make a good 5.1 system within each brand, or if any brands can be mix/matched. I'd really like to get the best I can for <$1000. Assume price is for 2 speakers unless its a center, also these are CL asking prices they may come down a bit.

SUBS! May splurge for best, as low end is important to me:
Polk PSW125 ($185)
Klipsch RW8 ($100)
NHT S-20 ($200)
Polk PSW1000($400)
Infinity SSW 212 ($325)
Definitive Technology ProSub 1000 ($250)
JBL PB10 ($150)
Velodyne CT-120 ($300)
Velodyne Impact 10 ($190)
M&K V-2B ($300)
Martin Logan DYNAMO 10" ($350)
Pinnacle baby boomer dual 8" ($250)
Klipsch KSW-200 ($150)
Klipsch S-12 ($300)

Klipsch:
Set (2)KG 5.2, (2) KG 1.5, Center KV-1 ($375) Can be separated
RB-61 ($350)
Icon VF36 ($200) or Synergy F-10 ($350) or F-20 ($420) or RF 42 II ($360)
SS-1 ($150)
KLF-C7 ($250)
KF-28 ($450)
KG-4 ($250)
Reference series Set: 2 front tower speakers (RF-3) - $400 2 Surround speakers (RS-3) - $150 1 Center Channel (RC-3) - $150 and one 12" powered Subwoofer (KSW-12) $250 All for $825

B&W:
DM 220 (Maybe only 1) ($150)
602($300)
601 S3 ($250)

Polk:
RT800i($190) or Monitor 70($300) or RT-1000P ($315) or Tsi300 ($250) or RTi100 ($350, or little more for CSi40 Center)
SDA 2B ($250) and ($100)
RT3 ($70) or Monitor 30 II ($100)
Set: Tsi400 and CS20 ($450)
Set: Monitor 50, CS2(0?), PSW404, Denon AVR 3300 ($375)
Set: M70,M60,CS2, PSW10 (weak?), Yamaha RX V665 ($900)

Paradigm:
Monitor 3 v.2 ($250)
Titans ($100)
CC-370 V.2 ($100)
V2 Monitor 9 ($325)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Shortened list to 4 best brands for speakers. Sorry about the length I know it's a pain to read through, but I'd appreciate any help.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 781
For 5.1, you want the front left, right, and center to timbre match, which generally means buying in the same speaker line.

For sub recommendation, better to ask in the AVS subwoofer forum. More likely to find people that have heard most of the subs on your list. As it is, most of those I recognize are no better than the Klipsch RW-12d on Newegg, which has been around $300 on special a few times recently.

That being said, generally the best way to approach CL buying recommendations like this is to update your AVS profile with your location. We can then take a look, too, and offer suggestions.

So the $1000 is for two speakers and a matching center? What's the sub budget?

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Cel, thanks for advice! I posted in the sub section and got some really good advice. They pretty much told me to abandon my list and get a $500 sub that blows them all away. I found an SVS 25-31 PC plus for around that price. Also, after some auditioning of Klipsch, Polk, B&W and Paradigms I found and loved a set of Paradigm 11semk3's so I picked them up. I also have a cc-370 V.2 lined up to be auditioned and hopefully purchased soon (hopefully this is compatible with the older model 11se's?).

Now my biggest problem is reciever/amp. I heard these paradigms like power, so I have found an acurus 3x200 amp in my price range. I've also decided to go with a 3.1, as I don't really have the room for a 5.1 system anyways. So my question is, should I be looking for a newer onkyo or denon preamp/rec, or try to find an older NAD, Rotel, Nakamichi preamp. I understand power management/processing is important, but I don't know if most modern equipment does a better job than the older highly regarded stuff. After buying the acurus my preamp budget is pretty low so I"ll be buying used. Also, if important, my computer will be the primary source of all sound, newer preamp/receivers have something like PC audio in correct?

As always, thanks for any help.

Update,
Found a few ones that look good. I don't think I stated I did not buy the acurus yet, but is available for $375. I can get this and a b&k avp-1000 for $425 total. Or I can get a B&K AVR 305 for $400. My speakers are rated to 180 max watts. The AVR 305 claims to put out 150 wpc rms, while the acurus has been comfirmed to put out 200+ wpc. Any suggestions on these two?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamesLucky View Post

Cel, thanks for advice! I posted in the sub section and got some really good advice. They pretty much told me to abandon my list and get a $500 sub that blows them all away. I found an SVS 25-31 PC plus for around that price. Also, after some auditioning of Klipsch, Polk, B&W and Paradigms I found and loved a set of Paradigm 11semk3's so I picked them up. I also have a cc-370 V.2 lined up to be auditioned and hopefully purchased soon (hopefully this is compatible with the older model 11se's?).
Now my biggest problem is reciever/amp. I heard these paradigms like power, so I have found an acurus 3x200 amp in my price range. I've also decided to go with a 3.1, as I don't really have the room for a 5.1 system anyways. So my question is, should I be looking for a newer onkyo or denon preamp/rec, or try to find an older NAD, Rotel, Nakamichi preamp. I understand power management/processing is important, but I don't know if most modern equipment does a better job than the older highly regarded stuff. After buying the acurus my preamp budget is pretty low so I"ll be buying used. Also, if important, my computer will be the primary source of all sound, newer preamp/receivers have something like PC audio in correct?
Update,
Found a few ones that look good. I don't think I stated I did not buy the acurus yet, but is available for $375. I can get this and a b&k avp-1000 for $425 total. Or I can get a B&K AVR 305 for $400. My speakers are rated to 180 max watts. The AVR 305 claims to put out 150 wpc rms, while the acurus has been comfirmed to put out 200+ wpc. Any suggestions on these two?

Since you mentioned this will be a multi-channel system and will also be used for watching movies, are you familiar with the new Blu-ray HD audio codecs such as DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD? These are "lossless" audio formats and sound phenomenal on movies. The reason I am bringing this up is that many older receivers, pre-amps, and pre-pros cannot decode these formats. If I were you, I would look at a current model receiver(to use as a pre-pro) that includes multi-channel pre-outs, such as an Onkyo 709 or 717 at ~$500. I am currently using an Onkyo 809 and a separate power amp with great results.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

mtrot, thanks I"ll keep that in mind. Not sure if I can swing buying an amp and a good newer hdmi receiver. I do have one question, and it isn't a "speaker" question, but maybe someone knows. When passing the audio from my computer to a receiver via optical or hdmi is it really better to have a sound card or can onboard (THX certified) audio be used? The receiver should be doing the processing correct, or would a sound card increase the quality?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

mtrot, thanks I"ll keep that in mind. Not sure if I can swing buying an amp and a good newer hdmi receiver. I do have one question, and it isn't a "speaker" question, but maybe someone knows. When passing the audio from my computer to a receiver via optical or hdmi is it really better to have a sound card or can onboard (THX certified) audio be used? The receiver should be doing the processing correct, or would a sound card increase the quality?

I'm not sure if you are talking about playing audio, or movies on your computer and sending them to the receiver. I don't know about movies, but with my Onkyo receiver I can stream DNLA from the laptop. I have MediaMonkey on the laptop, and the receiver finds it over the wireless router and can stream music that way. So, I don't need any kind of a cable from the laptop to the receiver.

There are lots of much more techy folks than I on here; maybe some of them can help.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Update,

I'm looking at picking up a pair of used 11semk3's myself but not sure what a good price is. What did you pay for yours?

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

"I'm looking at picking up a pair of used 11semk3's myself but not sure what a good price is. What did you pay for yours?"

I picked mine up for $280/pair from a local pawn shop, they were in perfect condition. Not sure if this was a great deal, but I love them and would of paid more if needed. I also picked up some 3se's for 100 bucks on ebay, few scrapes in cabinets but otherwise great, also got a cc-370 center for 100 on craigslist, they all sound great together despite the differences in mkI vs mkIII. I'm not sure if these prices are typical though, I only saw 1 other set of 11semk3's within driving distance of atlanta and they were 500.

Hope this helps