5.1 Setup Dilemna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 10-10-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so based on all the recommendations from you all (and another forum), I think that I have my options narrowed down.

Background:
Room size is 23X20 with 8 foot ceilings
Going to be used mostly for TV/movies but also a little music. Ratio would most likely be 75% TV, 20% Movies and 5% music.
We are having built in cabinet's installed so the LCR speakers will be on some type of shelf and elimintes front towers. Not sure if I should be overly concerned about rear ports.
I am not an expert, just want a decent setup, better than a HTIB.
Total speaker budget is $1,200 for a 5.1 setup.

Option 1 - 5 Ascend 200's.

Option 2 - HSU Hybrid 2.

Option 3 - Aperion Intimus 5B fronts, 5C Center and 4BP Surrounds.

All three of these fit my budget (Aperions are open box to fit the budget). With option's 1 and 3, I am left with about $350 for a sub. Obviously no sub question in option 2.

Which of these three setups would best fit my needs. The Aperion and HSU sales guys told me not to worry about rear ports. I can have about 6 inches behind and 4 on each side of open space.

Not sure where I was supposed to post the subwoofer question. In a seperate subwoofer forum thread, I posted the following:

I understand that most of you are recommending $600+ subs for my room, specifically the HSU VTF-2 MK4, but this will blow away my $1,200 budget.

I am looking for a good sub that will fill my room, but I don't need or want something that will shake the house or knock pictures off the walls.

So I have about $400 (shipped price) to spend on a sub that will meet those needs in my room (23X20 with 8 foot ceilings).

I saw a sale at newegg for the Klipsch Reference RW-12d. It can be bought today for $300 (shipped). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078

I also am able to buy the Polk DSW PRO 550WI on Amazon for $386 shipped.

Lastly, I can buy the HSU STF-2 for $362, shipped.

2 Questions: 1) what is the best option for my system and room size from those 3 choices. 2) Is there something better suited for me in $400 or less price range?

Thanks again for all of your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 65
If you can swing the HSU Hybrid 2 5.1 set, that includes the sub .

It's for 'wall hung dude', and no, I don't need any help to 'hook-up'.... sheesh ... dirty minds around these parts....
post #3 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

So I don't need to be concerned with the rear port on the hsu bookshelves?
post #4 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
if you are not to sure about the hsu speakers just give them a call or e-mail with your concerns and they will give you their advice. they have great service

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #5 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

fwiw,you could also look at home theater direct level 2 or level 3 speakers. they are front ported
Djmurray324 likes this.

post #6 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
If I was putting speakers inside cabinets like that I would only consider sealed or front-ported.

But you'd think the HSU guys would know their own stuff, and would only sell into a situation that would lead to a satisfied customer, so...

post #7 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the HSU guy told me that I would be ok. He did say that they would perform better out in the open. I told him that I would have approx. 6 inches of free space behind the speakers and 3-4inches of free space on each side.

Based on what you are saying, I should go with the Ascend 200's or HTD Level 3's??? If so which would do better in my size room?
post #8 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmurray324 View Post

Well, the HSU guy told me that I would be ok. He did say that they would perform better out in the open. I told him that I would have approx. 6 inches of free space behind the speakers and 3-4inches of free space on each side.

Six inches out from the wall can work OK if you have them open on the sides. Then the ports can breathe. But it does sound like it might could be little tight for them with the space you have.

If you want to go with the HSUs, you could always ask them if they would ship you just the speakers first to see how they work.
Djmurray324 likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #9 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
My honest opinion...these forums are great to get other options that you may not have heard of and lots of advice, but ultimately, only your ears can tell you which you like better. If I was I your shoes, and I had narrowed it down to HTD vs. Ascend, I would simply order both, compare head to head, and return the loser. Both companies offer 30 day risk free trial. You may have to pay return shipping on the Ascends, but it is only $20 flat rate per pair. Not only will it be fun to compare head to head, but you will not ever second guess your decision.

Plus, then you can tell us your opinion and help others who are in a similar dilemma, which is cool.

If you are really worried about shipping costs, you can just order one pair of each to compare, and then when you decide, return the losing pair and order the rest of the speakers to complete the surround sound setup.
Djmurray324 likes this.

post #10 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

fwiw,imo i really dont think the ascend htm-200 is really a good option for lcr ,maybe in a small room with a decent sub.i think the hsu or htd speakers would fit better in your size room and also just my 2 cents i know its hard but most people who purchace speakers seem to rush and buy a sub right away with their left over budget which most times is a budget sub. i would save up to purchase a good sub.( hsu, outlaw, svs, epik) you can live without one for awhile.it really makes a big difference especially in your size room.just more enjoyable to listening to movies and wont have to upgrade anytime soon saving you money inthe long run
Djmurray324 likes this.

post #11 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Almost every bookshelf speaker needs a stand-off distance to sound its best. As for ports, you will want at least the diameter of the port for the clearance between the port and any surface. As for rear porting versus front porting, the frequencies produced by port resonance are the lowest end of its tuning point and are usually omnidirectional, so it doesn't make a difference where the port is on the cabinet. The exception is when the speaker is tuned fairly high, but the speakers discussed in this thread are not going to have that high of a tuning point.
post #12 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 468
I have the Hsus and they're fantastic speakers. Since I have them spread apart a good bit due to a set of French doors on the same wall, they're toed in about 30deg. They have probably 4" or 5" of clearance behind them and have had no issues at all so you should be fine. Since you have a pretty big room, I'd suggest one of their bigger subs. It'll be easier to pressurize the room and you'll be glad you spent the extra cash in the long run. My room is 26x15x7.5' and I have a VTF3mk3, but my room is open to the rest of the house via a couple of doorways. If your room isn't open to the rest of the house then the VTF2 might be enough. I agree with the above poster, get the Hybrid 2 or 3. My old man has the Hybrid 3 in a 40x20x20' (cathedral ceilings) room and it's more than enough. Hard to express how much Hsu's products have transformed my HT enjoyment for the better. They are a great company and very easy to deal with.
Djmurray324 likes this.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. So in terms of speaker ability in my room the hsu and htd will be better than the ascends? Is one of these better than the other?
post #14 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 468
I don't have any experience with the other brands but they have good reputations here on AVS. However, I know you'd be happy with the Hsus.
post #15 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Great, thanks. So you have about the same clearance I will have behind the speakers. How about on the sides? I will only have about 4 inches on each side.
post #16 of 17 Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmurray324 View Post

Thanks. So in terms of speaker ability in my room the hsu and htd will be better than the ascends? Is one of these better than the other?

It is unlikely that you will find someone who has directly compared these two options, but even if you do, his ear and preferences might be very different than yours. Again I would suggest getting a pair of speakers from both HTD and Hsu and do a direct comparison. You will be out about $46 bucks if you return the Hsu (shipping both ways) and even less if you return the HTDs b/c they say they will only charge you for shipping one way. A small investment to make compared to a $1,200 system, IMO.

post #17 of 17 Old 10-12-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Go to KEF direct and getiQ30 for your front three. But two pairs and have one as a spare.

Front ported and sound awesome.

My front 3 is iQ3, the predecessor to these I bought during the last end of line sale.

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page