Ordering in-ceiling speakers soon... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 10-11-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 436
I'll be ordering in-ceiling speakers pretty soon now. I have two different goals:

• Providing a second zone for ambient music in an L-shaped kitchen / dining area
  • Surround backs for home theater use in a location with no back wall nor place for standard speakers

As my home theater setup is already equipped with Energy RC-series speakers, I was pretty much set on either the Energy RC-6C or RC-6Cst, which are both available at Crutchfield.com. Now I'm not decided between the two, and I have several questions that need answers before I feel comfortable placing the order and installing the stuff. The RC-6C are standard in-ceiling speakers with an aimable tweeter. The RC-6C are so-called "stereo" speakers with double tweeters, that can be either fed with two channels (L/R) or with a single one, in which case they can be set either to bipole or dipole mode. Of course they're also 50% more expensive, but only so much that they're cheaper than a pair of RC-6C.

As I see it, I have these options for the home theater:

1. A pair of RC-6C
  2. A pair of RC-6Cst in dipole mode

The second option is tempting but in most 7.1 setups, the dipole speakers are placed in surrounds position, not surround backs; or in all surround positions. I already have monopole surrounds and I don't see any reason not to use them, nor am I willing to replace them with other in-ceiling speakers. Considering this, is this a wise idea to use dipole in-ceiling speakers for surround backs, or is it a waste of money?

For ambient music in the dining area, the situation is more complicated. The room is not large by any mean but L-shaped, with the long dimension being 20' and the small one about 13', with 8' ceilings. Because of the L shape the room is probably something around 1800 cu. ft. or less if we exclude storage space, cupboards, etc. Here are the options I'm considering:

1. A pair of RC-6C; but where to place L and R channels in an L-shaped room?
  2. A single RC-6Cst in stereo mode at the elbow of the L
  3. A pair of RC-6Cst in dipole mode to provide a more diffuse sound; not sure where to put them
  4. A pair of RC-6Cst, each in stereo mode, one in each leg of the L

The last option seems the most logical but it is also the most expensive and troublesome. I'm not sure how to wire two stereo speakers. I guess they would basically act as two pairs of standard speakers -- the RC-6Cst are rated at 8 ohms but I'm not sure if there is any change in impedance when they're used in mono or stereo mode. If I want to use multiple RC-6Cst in stereo mode, I guess the best way would be to wire them in parallel, and use an impedance converter (e.g. impedance-matching volume control in-wall)? Is it worth the trouble versus just using an L and R channel considering the size of the room?

Thanks for any hint or opinion on this.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page