SVS Ultra Speakers Line - New Kids On The Block - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 226 Old 02-09-2013, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
finaly, i have to commanded the KEF R900 at 3900 dollar (3600chf or 2920 euros) in swiss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 226 Old 02-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
I just saw they are now offering a 45 day in hope trial..with free shipping both ways! As well as they are now selling entire HT systems. I either missed that last month when i was looking or that is new?

Either way...I am very interested in at least hearing these bad boys. Anyone know if they will give a special price on a SVS sub if you buy the HT Package?

Also, tad strange that they are only giving you a surround option in a HT package. I thought general consensus was that Direct speakers > surrounds even in a HT? I know there is tons of debate but over all I felt like the ration was 8 to 2 out of 10 in favor of direct speakers?

(Ok...ok...reading is fundemental...

The Ultra Surround also promises to deliver an incredibly immersive and flexible multichannel sound experience. Designed with dual isolated crossovers for each tweeter and woofer, the Ultra Surround can operate in either bipole, dipole, or in SVS's unique Duet configuration, which creates two separate speakers within one cabinet. In Duet mode, each speaker's two discrete channels means that listeners can implement a true 7.1-channel surround sound experience using only two Ultra Surround speakers instead of the typical four.)

(92.5 percent of all statistic are made up too! Including this one.)

Anyone else with Aperion or other comparisons? My budget is 2-3k range.
post #183 of 226 Old 02-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

I just saw they are now offering a 45 day in hope trial..with free shipping both ways! As well as they are now selling entire HT systems. I either missed that last month when i was looking or that is new?

Either way...I am very interested in at least hearing these bad boys. Anyone know if they will give a special price on a SVS sub if you buy the HT Package?

Also, tad strange that they are only giving you a surround option in a HT package. I thought general consensus was that Direct speakers > surrounds even in a HT? I know there is tons of debate but over all I felt like the ration was 8 to 2 out of 10 in favor of direct speakers?

(Ok...ok...reading is fundemental...

The Ultra Surround also promises to deliver an incredibly immersive and flexible multichannel sound experience. Designed with dual isolated crossovers for each tweeter and woofer, the Ultra Surround can operate in either bipole, dipole, or in SVS's unique Duet configuration, which creates two separate speakers within one cabinet. In Duet mode, each speaker's two discrete channels means that listeners can implement a true 7.1-channel surround sound experience using only two Ultra Surround speakers instead of the typical four.)

(92.5 percent of all statistic are made up too! Including this one.)

Anyone else with Aperion or other comparisons? My budget is 2-3k range.

I am in the same boat, do I want 4 bookshelf or 2 side surronds and 2 bookshelf for the back surronds for my 7.2 set-up.
So I would also like the other members opinion on this as well.

Is there anyone here that have the bookshelf mount for side surronds or back surronds and if so, what kind of wall mount did you use?
I personaly think for my personel situation, that the surronds are a better fit, only 5.4 in deep compare to 10 in deep for the bookshelf.
But then again my current DIY Bi/Di poles are 12.5 in deep from the wall including the bracket.

All opinon and sugestion for a wall mount and speakers configuration would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #184 of 226 Old 02-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
SVS got back to me...

They give a 5% discount on subs when you buy a complete 5.1 or better system.

They will let me auditon the Towers first then apply a discount to the rest of the surround sound as long as I buy within a reasonable time.

Darthray...since they can go in "Duet" mode ..it basically can make these guys like two direct speakers...but they are sort of at an angle so..not sure.
post #185 of 226 Old 02-10-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

I am in the same boat, do I want 4 bookshelf or 2 side surronds and 2 bookshelf for the back surronds for my 7.2 set-up.
So I would also like the other members opinion on this as well.

Is there anyone here that have the bookshelf mount for side surronds or back surronds and if so, what kind of wall mount did you use?
I personaly think for my personel situation, that the surronds are a better fit, only 5.4 in deep compare to 10 in deep for the bookshelf.
But then again my current DIY Bi/Di poles are 12.5 in deep from the wall including the bracket.

All opinon and sugestion for a wall mount and speakers configuration would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

I'm kind of in the same boat too. In my room in my new house that's still being built I have 4' knee walls that put my side surrounds about ear level. I currently have bi/dipole speakers. I've been told that I probably won't like them being that low. however I wonder if I'd dislike monopoles firing directly at me from the sides.
post #186 of 226 Old 02-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

SVS got back to me...

They give a 5% discount on subs when you buy a complete 5.1 or better system.

They will let me auditon the Towers first then apply a discount to the rest of the surround sound as long as I buy within a reasonable time.

Darthray...since they can go in "Duet" mode ..it basically can make these guys like two direct speakers...but they are sort of at an angle so..not sure.

I got a 7.2 system so it would be either direct for the bookshelf or Bi-poles for the side since I prefer the sound of Bi-poles over Di-poles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post

I'm kind of in the same boat too. In my room in my new house that's still being built I have 4' knee walls that put my side surrounds about ear level. I currently have bi/dipole speakers. I've been told that I probably won't like them being that low. however I wonder if I'd dislike monopoles firing directly at me from the sides.

That is pretty low for side surronds.
I think a Bi-poles/Di-poles (You can try both configuration to see which one you prefer) might be better for your situation since the sound would not be as much in your face.

For my situation, I am afraid of direct (bookshelf) since if a movie is recorded in 5.1. I will listen to it that way and not force the Audio Processor to Matrix the rear.
So bookshelf might be better for a 7.1 source but the in a 5.1 recording, I might be better off with a Bi-poles since it would give me more dipertion and I am not to keen of the Di-poles.

Decision, decision:)

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #187 of 226 Old 02-19-2013, 06:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post

Has anybody ordered or already received the ultra bookshelves?

I'm considering these ones against the Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelves, also considering the Sonus Faber Venere 1.5

🎼 Hey Eli~

I'm a week into auditioning these Ultra bookshelf speakers . . . along w/ the B&W 685s/686s; Ascend Sierra-1 Bookshelf Speakers and the Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf speakers. I considered the B&Ws simply based on price & being conveniently located at the local BB/MDC. The Sonus Faber Venere were a little out of the price range I was looking to stay within . . . heck, but the the SVSs were over it also . . . so, go figure.

In any case, I'm not a real AV person & I'm not familiar w/ all the AV terminology; but I know what I like when I hear it, if that makes sense. . . . In any case, I'll share the few thoughts that I have: I try my best to evaluate those 'measures' that people on here (and other forums) cite as 'things to measure when evaluating speakers.' . . . well, either I'm too ADHD to stay focused or just 'not getting it' . . . in either case, I do believe I can appreciate the 'clarity of sound' in a speaker . . and boy these SVS-UBSs definitely have clarity and I found myself continually returning to them (when taking a break from the 'auditioning process'; if you can call it that) . . . I just love that these little things (relatively speaking) can reproduce so much detail and it truly is very pleasant to listen to (well, assuming your not listening to Five Finger Death Punch or something like that) . . . I don't know that I have the 'ear' to evaluate the quality of high-end content; but I do not notice distortion (at times I played 2 channel at -5 to -10) & regarding base, well, I don't listen to a lot of base heavy type music (e.g., hip-hop, dub, techno, etc); so, for my purposes .. . I like the amount of base possessed by these speakers & it seemed that regardless of placement, I never had an issue w/ booming base or it interfering w/ the mids (not that I could notice).

As far as my 'audition' goes . .. the B&Ws were returned to BB/MDC almost straight away . . . even to me there was such a disparity in sound quality/clarity . . . [it's funny, I used some of the apple lossless source material from B&W's Society of Sound site & the material (IMO) sounded better on all the non-B&W speakers. . . that's probably too broad a generalization to be useful here, sorry]. Also, for some reason, I seem to have an issue w/ the B&W tweeters, in these lower end models, it really bothers my ears 🙉. . . the Aperion was the next to go . . . beyond the SVS being superior (IMO) in clarity/SQ it just always felt like the Aperion was a small bookshelf speaker & I never have that feeling when I listen to either the Ascend Sierra-1 or the SVS Ultra Bookshelfs. And regarding the 'sound stage', for the Ascend & SVS, I find myself thinking 'this is pretty cool; that all this sound comes from those little boxes' . . . I did not have this reaction w/ the Aperion.

SIde Note #1: regarding the the grills on the Aperion (if you choose to audition them). Be sure to remove the grill from either the top or bottom as it's easy to damage the finish if you try to remove the grill from the sides . . . the pair sent to my house had been damaged prior to arriving at my house (where in the process this occurred is a matter of opinion if you can read between those lines). That being said, I thought the Aperion were the nicest looking speakers in the bunch.

Side Note #2:At one point I dropped the SVS's into my HT system (in place of my Studio 100s) and w/ some tweeking of the setting son my Denon AVR-4311ci . . . I thought hmmm, I could live w/ this too . . contrary to when I dropped the B&W 685s in there . . . I could just tell they didn't belong & it didn't matter what settings I tweaked, not happening.

Anyway, Eli~ . . . as I'm not an AV person, I'm also not an avid poster; as you can probably tell. So, if nothing else above is useful . . . I'd say consider auditioning the Ascend Sierra-1 also . . . I still haven't made my final decision between them & the SVSs. . . they're also very clear, love the sound stage, I wasn't able to make them distort & they actually have a tonal quality that I like better than the SVSs (sorry, I can't be more clear than that; I'm not sure I even understand what I mean at that point . ... other than they're still in the game). You will have to pay a $35 initial shipping (flat rate) & if you return them, you have to cover total cost of shipping them back (which I'm guessing is a bit more than $35).

Later, 🎶🎶🎶
Shek

Edit on 27 Feb 13:

Just wanted to update my above post, as of today, I've returned all but the SVS UBS as I've decided to keep them . . . I was sold on the overall sound clarity & SQ . . . even though there was a tonal quality about the Ascends that I really liked . . . anyway, I just shipped the Ascends back today at cost of $65 . .. so, in total it cost me $100 in shipping charges to experience the Ascends . . . but all in all, I think it was $100 well spent as I believe I'll be pleased w/ these SVS UBS well into the future . . . in any case, here's a pic below of the SVSs in their new home . . . (p.s., I think they look much nicer w/ grills off, IMO).

Recently acquired SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speakers.
post #188 of 226 Old 02-19-2013, 06:26 AM

Liked: 20
Has anyone listened to the Ultrabookshelves?

All I read online is about the towers....but the towers are too big for my listening space....I am more interested on the bookshelves. I intent on comparing them with the Revel M105 and Sonus faber Venere 1.5. The SVS has a better center speaker design where the matching center for the other brands has a MTM arrangement that is not considered an optimum design. Still, from what I've read they seem to be good enough.

I ask because if I order the speakers, I would have to pay extra shipping charges. Then if I don't like them, I would have pay return shipping as well, and that would limit me for whatever other speaker I would want to try/buy.

Don't follow me, I'm lost too -Unknown
SETUP: PC with JRiver MC and PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI -> Sierra-2 LCR & Energy Take Classic surrounds \-> Epson 8350
Check out GEEK WAVE: A digital audio player and high quality DAC for your smartphone Check it out HERE
post #189 of 226 Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 PM

Eli,

Hopefully you have now seen the post immediately above yours which reviews the Ultra bookshelves. For what it is worth, when I was testing bookshelf speakers a few years ago to build a home theatre system I listened to some of the same speakers Shek listened to and wound up in the same spot: the SVS and Ascends were my two favorites. I wound up going with the SVS because in the end I thought they were just a bit more "neutral". I wound up using four SVS bookshelves and one SVS center for the past few years and loved them. In fact, I am now selling my SVS MBS home theatre system on the AVS forum only because I switched to an Ultra Tower system (since I had the room and wanted the sound that Towers provide).

In any event, note that there was no shipping charge in either direction for SVS so you can certainly try them in your home without any risk (as I did now on two occassions). When I tried Ascend last time I believe they provided free shipping to me and that I paid for the return. Apparently they now charge shipping in both directions but it might be worth a call to them to see if there is any flexibility.

Hoping this helps.
post #190 of 226 Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shek5150 View Post

🎼 Hey Eli~

I'm a week into auditioning these Ultra bookshelf speakers . . . along w/ the B&W 685s/686s; Ascend Sierra-1 Bookshelf Speakers and the Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf speakers. I considered the B&Ws simply based on price & being conveniently located at the local BB/MDC. The Sonus Faber Venere were a little out of the price range I was looking to stay within . . . heck, but the the SVSs were over it also . . . so, go figure.

In any case, I'm not a real AV person & I'm not familiar w/ all the AV terminology; but I know what I like when I hear it, if that makes sense. . . . In any case, I'll share the few thoughts that I have: I try my best to evaluate those 'measures' that people on here (and other forums) cite as 'things to measure when evaluating speakers.' . . . well, either I'm too ADHD to stay focused or just 'not getting it' . . . in either case, I do believe I can appreciate the 'clarity of sound' in a speaker . . and boy these SVS-UBSs definitely have clarity and I found myself continually returning to them (when taking a break from the 'auditioning process'; if you can call it that) . . . I just love that these little things (relatively speaking) can reproduce so much detail and it truly is very pleasant to listen to (well, assuming your not listening to Five Finger Death Punch or something like that) . . . I don't know that I have the 'ear' to evaluate the quality of high-end content; but I do not notice distortion (at times I played 2 channel at -5 to -10) & regarding base, well, I don't listen to a lot of base heavy type music (e.g., hip-hop, dub, techno, etc); so, for my purposes .. . I like the amount of base possessed by these speakers & it seemed that regardless of placement, I never had an issue w/ booming base or it interfering w/ the mids (not that I could notice).

As far as my 'audition' goes . .. the B&Ws were returned to BB/MDC almost straight away . . . even to me there was such a disparity in sound quality/clarity . . . [it's funny, I used some of the apple lossless source material from B&W's Society of Sound site & the material (IMO) sounded better on all the non-B&W speakers. . . that's probably too broad a generalization to be useful here, sorry]. Also, for some reason, I seem to have an issue w/ the B&W tweeters, in these lower end models, it really bothers my ears 🙉. . . the Aperion was the next to go . . . beyond the SVS being superior (IMO) in clarity/SQ it just always felt like the Aperion was a small bookshelf speaker & I never have that feeling when I listen to either the Ascend Sierra-1 or the SVS Ultra Bookshelfs. And regarding the 'sound stage', for the Ascend & SVS, I find myself thinking 'this is pretty cool; that all this sound comes from those little boxes' . . . I did not have this reaction w/ the Aperion.

SIde Note #1: regarding the the grills on the Aperion (if you choose to audition them). Be sure to remove the grill from either the top or bottom as it's easy to damage the finish if you try to remove the grill from the sides . . . the pair sent to my house had been damaged prior to arriving at my house (where in the process this occurred is a matter of opinion if you can read between those lines). That being said, I thought the Aperion were the nicest looking speakers in the bunch.

Side Note #2:At one point I dropped the SVS's into my HT system (in place of my Studio 100s) and w/ some tweeking of the setting son my Denon AVR-4311ci . . . I thought hmmm, I could live w/ this too . . contrary to when I dropped the B&W 685s in there . . . I could just tell they didn't belong & it didn't matter what settings I tweaked, not happening.

Anyway, Eli~ . . . as I'm not an AV person, I'm also not an avid poster; as you can probably tell. So, if nothing else above is useful . . . I'd say consider auditioning the Ascend Sierra-1 also . . . I still haven't made my final decision between them & the SVSs. . . they're also very clear, love the sound stage, I wasn't able to make them distort & they actually have a tonal quality that I like better than the SVSs (sorry, I can't be more clear than that; I'm not sure I even understand what I mean at that point . ... other than they're still in the game). You will have to pay a $35 initial shipping (flat rate) & if you return them, you have to cover total cost of shipping them back (which I'm guessing is a bit more than $35).

Later, 🎶🎶🎶
Shek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked4Sound View Post

Eli,

Hopefully you have now seen the post immediately above yours which reviews the Ultra bookshelves. For what it is worth, when I was testing bookshelf speakers a few years ago to build a home theatre system I listened to some of the same speakers Shek listened to and wound up in the same spot: the SVS and Ascends were my two favorites. I wound up going with the SVS because in the end I thought they were just a bit more "neutral". I wound up using four SVS bookshelves and one SVS center for the past few years and loved them. In fact, I am now selling my SVS MBS home theatre system on the AVS forum only because I switched to an Ultra Tower system (since I had the room and wanted the sound that Towers provide).

In any event, note that there was no shipping charge in either direction for SVS so you can certainly try them in your home without any risk (as I did now on two occassions). When I tried Ascend last time I believe they provided free shipping to me and that I paid for the return. Apparently they now charge shipping in both directions but it might be worth a call to them to see if there is any flexibility.

Hoping this helps.

Thank you very much for your thorough thoughts on these speakers. Something like this is what I'm looking for. Makes me think that if I actually order the SVS, I will end up keeping them, and that gives me some comfort. I'm gonna have to pay $135 extra for shipping charges to Puerto Rico. And would not like to pay that twice basically if I don't like them.

Don't know what happened that my actual post came in after your reply (but let AVS figure that out)

SETUP: PC with JRiver MC and PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI -> Sierra-2 LCR & Energy Take Classic surrounds \-> Epson 8350
Check out GEEK WAVE: A digital audio player and high quality DAC for your smartphone Check it out HERE
post #191 of 226 Old 02-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shek5150 View Post

🎼 Hey Eli~

Later, 🎶🎶🎶
Shek

Quote:

Eli,

Hoping this helps.

Thank you to the both of you.
Sometime everyday day folks are more informative as what sound good them to them (sometime not, bias for a name, etc).

Sound to me, the Ultra deserve it's name, Best bang for the bucks.
Is there something better out there? Of course, but how much money are you willing to pay?!

Very good info as far as I am concern.
Kind of a shame that I will be using the Bookshelf for back surronds duties (only for 7.1 movies since I do not matrix any 5.1 movies) only since I intend to get a 7 speakers package (Towers, Center, Surronds and Bookshelf for rear duties).

Thank you for sharing and enjoy!

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #192 of 226 Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 PM

Hey Stoked,

You mentioned you hace the towers surround package, can you comment on how good is the center channel?

post #193 of 226 Old 02-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
I am not sure if I posted in this thread my decision, but I chose the Ultra towers over the Philharmonic 2s. It was a tough choice, but the overall richness, dynamics, bass and tone of the Ultras won me over even though the Raal ribbon tweeter in the Phil's was clearer and they had a broader soundstage. The Ultra towers are a great value and a true "full range" tower playing strong into the upper 20 Hz range. Almost all the others in this price range peter out in the high 30s or worse (Goldenear and Deftech excepted due to their powered built in subs). The lack of perfect neutrality might be a turn off for some who prefer mostly acoustic music and live recordings. But otherwise, an all around great speaker.

post #194 of 226 Old 02-19-2013, 07:50 PM

Just saw a review of the UB posted here: http://hometheaterreview.com/svs-ultra-bookshelf-speaker-reviewed/

post #195 of 226 Old 02-19-2013, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 119
There is another review of the bookshelves at Audiohead.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #196 of 226 Old 02-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Based on the reviews and the opinions of those who ordered these speakers, it sounds like svs came out with a nice set of speakers.

Looks like they are keepers!
post #197 of 226 Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Reading between the lines I would say both reviewers thought the bookshelves were good-very good but not the best they had heard. Reading further between the lines they seem to have some issues with the price point, as they compared them to some less expensive speakers. Still, overall, I think that SVS has a good product. I know I am happy with my towers so far.

post #198 of 226 Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM

New HT -- I just picked up what you meant regarding the two reviewers (i.e., you meant the two pro reviews cited above). My bad. Hopefully the prior note was helpful nonetheless.
post #199 of 226 Old 02-20-2013, 05:41 PM

Eli,

In answer to your question, I would say that the Ultra Center channel is very similar in characteristic to the Towers (and I assume the same would be true for the bookshelves since they all share the same tweeter and similar mid-range/woofers). At least for me, the combination of clarity and neutrality in these speakers is a positive combination that is very hard to beat anywhere near this price range.

The only issue I had at all with my Center channel speaker is that after running the MCACC program in my Pioneer Elite AVR I found that I had to turn up the Center channel a bit more to truly "anchor" the dialogue the way I like it for movies. With that said, from what I have read about MCACC that perceived need to turn up the Center channel volume is a very common reaction so my guess it has nothing to do with the Ultras and everything to do with the way MCACC is calibrated (i.e., it is a bit soft for most people's taste in the Center channel volume).

Hoping this helps.
post #200 of 226 Old 02-27-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Hi Guys -

Thanks for all the feedback and reviews of the SVS Ultra family of loudspeakers. If anyone has any questions about the speakers, I'll be monitoring this thread on a regular basis - so fire away. Thanks all.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #201 of 226 Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

Reading between the lines I would say both reviewers thought the bookshelves were good-very good but not the best they had heard. Reading further between the lines they seem to have some issues with the price point, as they compared them to some less expensive speakers. Still, overall, I think that SVS has a good product. I know I am happy with my towers so far.

NewHT,

I'm not sure if your post is referring to my comments above; however, I wouldn't read too much into my comments as I'm new to this posting stuff . . . also, I don't have a great deal of experience w/ bookshelf speakers; so, I don't think I could speak to the "good-very good but not the best they had heard" comment above . . . I can only say that I liked the overall sound quality & clarity of the SVS UBS more than any of the other's cited.

Side Note: When I returned the B&W 685s to BB/MDC, the sales person offered to let me take home the CM1's for my audition . . . & though I spent a fair amount of time w/ them in the demo room, they just didn't win me over enough to take them home & try them out . . . I realize that (by not taking them home) it's not a fair comparison, but none the less, the "sound quality & clarity of these SVS UBSs" so impressed me that I didn't feel a need/desire to return home w/ the CM1's to audition . . .

If you were referring to the professional's that reviewed the speakers . . . then please excuse this brain-fart.

Cheers.

Shek5150
post #202 of 226 Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Yep, I was referring to the two professional reviews. No prob!

Still waiting to see a review somewhere on the Ultra towers. Hopefully with measurements.

post #203 of 226 Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 PM

Hey,
I've read through most of this forum and I'm new to AVS. Is it my understanding there haven't been any official reviews of the Towers or the whole speaker set as a 5.1 HT setup with Towers included? I've been looking online and so far haven't found anything with measurements and serious review.

I'm interested in these speakers as a full 5.1 setup. I watch tons of movies but also love to get "lost in music". Has anyone tried or auditioned these in a 5.1 setup?
Not sure if this matters to anyone in case they have a similar setup when they auditioned - My setup will have an Oppo BDP-105 and an Onkyo TX-SR600 AVR. I use Sonos for who home audio streaming. Needless to say with that AVR, I'll be using the Oppo as a processor wherever possible.
post #204 of 226 Old 02-28-2013, 02:16 PM

Def,

If you go back a few pages, I reviewed the 5.1 Tower package with exactly the same goal you have in mind: have it set up for movies (which I love) but also as a dedicated stereo system when I want to get "lost in music" as you say. As you will see from my review, I was VERY pleased with the Ultra Tower package when I got it a month ago and if anything have become more and more pleased with my decision over the past few weeks. Quite simply, they sound great (which is of course what it is all about).

The only change from my original review is that (a) I added an Emotiva amp to my Pioneer Elite receiver which I needed to avoid clipping since I am using the system in a relatively large room and (b) I replaced my low-end Blu-Ray player - which decided to commit suicide recently - with an Oppo 105. After doing quite a bit of testing and learning, I found that wiring the Oppo 105 BOTH with (a) HDMI run into one input on my receiver for movie/5.1 listening and (b) analog cables run into a secondary input in my receiver for dedicated stereo CD listening made a great difference in getting the very best out of the Ultra towers for dedicated CD playing. I say that since the only way to use the Oppo 105's DAC (which is truly cutting edge and what sets the 105 apart from the less expensive Oppo 103) is to ensure you connect it to the receiver via analog cables which will carry the "post-converted" signal. Whenever you use HDMI with the Oppos the signal bypasses the Oppo's DAC since it is streaming a digital signal to the Receiver where it is then processed by the Receiver's DAC.

While an HDMI connection is truly beneficial for getting all the 5.1 adjustments from the receiver's digital processors when watching movies (e.g., phase control), it is actually counterproductive for playing CDs in that it circumvents the use of the Oppo 105 DAC. Once you have this set up in the way I have described it is very easy to do an A/B compare and see for yourself if you like the Oppo 105's DAC better than the one in your receiver. For me it was a "no brainer" in that the sound got "cleaner" and the sound stage expanded (but if I didn't hear a major difference I would have returned the 105 and purchased the 103 --thereby getting the same video processing and saving several hundred dollars). You might know all this already but I pass it on with the hope that it helps just in case.
post #205 of 226 Old 02-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Def,

If you go back a few pages, I reviewed the 5.1 Tower package with exactly the same goal you have in mind: have it set up for movies (which I love) but also as a dedicated stereo system when I want to get "lost in music" as you say. As you will see from my review, I was VERY pleased with the Ultra Tower package when I got it a month ago and if anything have become more and more pleased with my decision over the past few weeks. Quite simply, they sound great (which is of course what it is all about).

The only change from my original review is that (a) I added an Emotiva amp to my Pioneer Elite receiver which I needed to avoid clipping since I am using the system in a relatively large room and (b) I replaced my low-end Blu-Ray player - which decided to commit suicide recently - with an Oppo 105. After doing quite a bit of testing and learning, I found that wiring the Oppo 105 BOTH with (a) HDMI run into one input on my receiver for movie/5.1 listening and (b) analog cables run into a secondary input in my receiver for dedicated stereo CD listening made a great difference in getting the very best out of the Ultra towers for dedicated CD playing. I say that since the only way to use the Oppo 105's DAC (which is truly cutting edge and what sets the 105 apart from the less expensive Oppo 103) is to ensure you connect it to the receiver via analog cables which will carry the "post-converted" signal. Whenever you use HDMI with the Oppos the signal bypasses the Oppo's DAC since it is streaming a digital signal to the Receiver where it is then processed by the Receiver's DAC.

While an HDMI connection is truly beneficial for getting all the 5.1 adjustments from the receiver's digital processors when watching movies (e.g., phase control), it is actually counterproductive for playing CDs in that it circumvents the use of the Oppo 105 DAC. Once you have this set up in the way I have described it is very easy to do an A/B compare and see for yourself if you like the Oppo 105's DAC better than the one in your receiver. For me it was a "no brainer" in that the sound got "cleaner" and the sound stage expanded (but if I didn't hear a major difference I would have returned the 105 and purchased the 103 --thereby getting the same video processing and saving several hundred dollars). You might know all this already but I pass it on with the hope that it helps just in case.

Nice post!

I have a pretty crappy Sony BDP, so I do the opposite and I run digital out to my HK3490 so that I use the DAC in the receiver. But, I did the same as Stoked and also hooked up analog cables so I could compare, and I liked the sound using the digital connection better.

Stoked, which Emotiva amp do you have and did you find that it made a difference? I had my HK volume at about -15 and it was quite loud, so I am not sure I would need another amp to get louder, but I may try an Emotiva one day to see if it improves sound quality.

post #206 of 226 Old 02-28-2013, 03:36 PM

I purchased the XPA-3 which has been rock solid (and just got reduced in price by $100). What I found was that for some lighter music (e.g., acoustic guitar and vocals) my Pioneer Elite AVR had plenty of power to drive the Towers. As I introduced music with more demanding "peaks" of louder sounds that quickly came into a passage, however (e.g., Yes, Led Zeppelin, and even classical music with strong percussion passages), the "sweetness" of the sound started to break up even at relatively moderate volume. Put another way, their was a subtle harshness in the sound that was a bit irritating to listen to and made me want to listen to other types of music.

A good friend of mine who has forgotten more about this stuff than I will ever know quickly diagnosed this phenomena as my receiver "clipping" when the music called for quick peaks of power and suggested I get an Emotiva amp to put it in-line with my Receiver. I did as he suggested and the difference was instantaneous in that it didn't change the tone of the music when played at low volumes or with simple passages but, in what was really a great improvement, allowed me to play my entire CD collection without experiencing the "harshness" or "stridency" that was clearly taking place when I used only the Pioneer Elite AVR. If you have a friend with a good dedicated amp and a pair of good cables you may want to try this for yourself and see if you can hear the difference.
post #207 of 226 Old 03-01-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Def,

Thanks so much. I learned a lot from that page both because it was a great review AND you have the new BDP that I'm also thinking about getting and I appreciate your detail in describing your connections and settings. Do you have activity on any Oppo 105 Threads when you were doing your research? I'm wondering about the best route for connecting a Sonos player to take advantage of the Oppos DAC? Sonos has Digital Coax, Optical outputs.
post #208 of 226 Old 03-02-2013, 09:44 AM

Def,

I didn't find any great threads when I was researching the Oppo but there were a tremendous number of helpful professional reviews for these players that you can get via a quick Google search.

As to how to hook up Sonos and still use the Oppo's DAC my strong guess is that you want to hook up the Sonos digitally to the Oppo (so that you maintain a digital signal into the Oppo which will then allow it so use its DAC for analog transmission out to your receiver). If you want to be 100% sure, I would call Oppo's Technical Service line. I did this with several questions and they were extremely knowledgable (i.e., you clearly are taking to engineers rather than kids put on a line to "field" questions) and particularly forth-coming about what their product could and could not do in various scenarios.

Hoping this helps.
post #209 of 226 Old 03-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Ultra Tower review is up at HomeTheaterReview. (plus center/surround get some comments):

http://hometheaterreview.com/svs-ultra-tower-speakers-reviewed/

post #210 of 226 Old 03-04-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

Ultra Tower review is up at HomeTheaterReview. (plus center/surround get some comments):

http://hometheaterreview.com/svs-ultra-tower-speakers-reviewed/

I got to say, I don't quite understand A.R.'s reviews. He finds the treble to hot so he lowers it 2db, which he says he is fine with, and then complains that the treble is a little flat. He owns B&W 800 series (with their piano gloss black bowling ball tops), but complains that the "unusual shape" of the towers makes it hard to combat reflections. In the bookshelf review he dings the speakers for only coming in gloss black, yet acknowledges that they come in a black ash in this review, but keeps his remarks about the gloss up. He prefers direct radiating surrounds, so he belabors the issue of needing to move around the wall mounted surround, which he ultimately decided to replace with a bookshelf. He states the centers tone is spot on, but complains that he doesn't feel it accurately reflects exactly where a voice comes from on a 100"+ screen. Is the screen AT? Where is the center placed? He also notes that best practice should be to (OMG I never thought of this) aim it at the LP. Did he make sure to do that during the test? Don;t know, he didn't say. Finally, he knocks the looks of the Ultra's due to their nontraditional shape (see comment on B&W above), but loves the plain Jane box that the Pendragons come in (optional custom finish, optional speaker covers, aside of course). So while the speakers are great, they're only really the same as the low line of P-Digms, because....oh wait, he never says why.

Hopefully a review with some measurements comes out soon. Self contradictory, all over the place reviews from professional marketing guys get a little old. I'm fine with differing opinions, they make for a more competitive, interesting, and enjoyable hobby, but can we at least ask for some consistency in thought and a little more meat to a review than "wall to wall fun" = bleh.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

Reply Speakers

Tags
Svs , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page