SVS Ultra Speakers Line - New Kids On The Block - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #211 of 237 Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 116
It was still a good review. Something I expect at this price point. They have to split hairs otherwise they will sound like every other review. "Sounds like speakers that cost several times its Msrp".

Looks like svs did a very nice job!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 237 Old 03-07-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I thought the review was pretty good too. I didn't find anything terribly wrong with it and understood his opinion on the odd shape and reflective nature of the speaker (which he also states that SVS isn't the only manufacture with this problem).

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #213 of 237 Old 04-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Audioholics has a review up with some measurements. Check it out

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/svs-ultra-series-speakers-video

post #214 of 237 Old 04-03-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

Audioholics has a review up with some measurements. Check it out

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/svs-ultra-series-speakers-video

The measurements are, to say the least, mysterious. The caption says "non-anechoic." I've never seen that term before--measurements are usually referred to as "in-room" if they include the effects of the room itself, or anechoic or quasi-anechoic if the room effects are windowed out. "non-anechoic" literally would mean "not anechoic," which would mean it's showing room effects. That's not what it looks like to me, particularly since the Omni-mic system was used, and that looks like an anechoic measurement,at least above about 300 Hz. It's heavily smoothed--1/3 octave--so it can't be compared with most other measurements, which invoke no or much less smoothing. On the other hand, the dB demarcations are only 2 dB rather than the standard 5 dB. So the peaks and dips look worse than they would on a standard grid. I'm not sure what we've got here.
post #215 of 237 Old 04-03-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

The measurements are, to say the least, mysterious. The caption says "non-anechoic." I've never seen that term before--measurements are usually referred to as "in-room" if they include the effects of the room itself, or anechoic or quasi-anechoic if the room effects are windowed out. "non-anechoic" literally would mean "not anechoic," which would mean it's showing room effects. That's not what it looks like to me, particularly since the Omni-mic system was used, and that looks like an anechoic measurement,at least above about 300 Hz. It's heavily smoothed--1/3 octave--so it can't be compared with most other measurements, which invoke no or much less smoothing. On the other hand, the dB demarcations are only 2 dB rather than the standard 5 dB. So the peaks and dips look worse than they would on a standard grid. I'm not sure what we've got here.

I'm guessing the reviewer just blanked on the correct terminology. He stated in comments that the measurements are in-room, but from a minimal distance (@1m on axis).

Another review was also posted on the towers today in GoodSound! (sadly no measurements at all in this one). Dale Rasco at HTS has also said he will be publishing his review over there in a few weeks (between 4/19 and 4/24).

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

"If it works the first time, it's not high end." ~ Harry Pierson
post #216 of 237 Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting......

I was looking through some of the show reports from the Bristol show and came across this little beauty.

That is, of course, the UBS, in a nice walnut finish. Hopefully this means that the same finish will be coming stateside soon. I think offering a wood veneer with the Ultra series speakers (and here's to hoping on subs too), will be a boon for SVS. Less dusting/fingerprints than the gloss black, and a little more decor friendly for some than the black oak (especially on a speaker the size of the Ultra tower).

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #217 of 237 Old 05-29-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I and two others recently got a chance to play around with the Ultra Towers over the last two weeks for the Audioholics review contest, if anyone's interested.
post #218 of 237 Old 05-29-2013, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Of course we are interested...Where is the review?
post #219 of 237 Old 05-29-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 61
post #220 of 237 Old 06-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Looks like Brent Butterworth reviewed a 5.0 system over at Sound&Vision, with measurements:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/test-report-svs-ultra-tower-surround-speaker-system

post #221 of 237 Old 06-28-2013, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Interesting...
post #222 of 237 Old 09-14-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 142
no love for these, very quiet in here. must be better options. I know in general the pro reviewers give decent praises. OTOH, the GTG'S seem to think not much of them.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....55" Oled Lg B6p 55" Samsung B8500 Fald Channel Master Dvr+ Onkyo RZ900 avr Samsung K8500 UBR player Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Svs Satellite Surrounds Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #223 of 237 Old 09-14-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I've seen plenty of praise from GTG's too. I agree though that they don't get much attention around here. Too bad, they're good speakers at a good price point.

~Nick

post #224 of 237 Old 09-16-2013, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Given the lack of activity, I'm not expecting much here, but anyone in the GTA/Southern Ontario/Buffalo area with the Ultras that are willing to audition/demo?
post #225 of 237 Old 09-19-2013, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Have you given Sonic Boom Audio a call? They are the authorized dealer for SVS products in the GTA.

Cheers from the Great White North.
My gear: ANTHEM AVM50v, STATEMENT A5 - ARCAM DV139, CD17 - PANASONIC 65VT30 (THX Calibrated) - SONY BDP-S5000ES - PANAMAX 5500EX - M&K V1250THX sub - TANNOY EYRIS DC3, DCC, DC1 - AUDIOQUEST Cables - SHUNYATA RESEARCH Power cords - HARMONY One - PRIMACOUSTIC Recoil Stabilizers - BLUESOUND Node
post #226 of 237 Old 09-23-2013, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybk View Post

Have you given Sonic Boom Audio a call? They are the authorized dealer for SVS products in the GTA.

Ya I've talked to them frequently smile.gif They won't audition prior to purchase though; you buy and utilize the 30- or 45- day return policy. It's just a "hassle" I'd like to avoid if I could hear them first, room acoustics and other differences in setup notwithstanding.
post #227 of 237 Old 11-19-2015, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
whoa.
i'm suprised that there's no active thread of these things with people going wild for them.
i have been highly considering these to replace my paradigm monitor 9's. those have served me
for 7 years so now i'm full itching for an upgrade.

i've narrowed it down to either a pre-owned set of studio 100's with a 690 big center channel
or a fresh set of SVS ultras. my setup is 99% HT, but i do like the idea of that big mother center
from paradigm. i have emotiva XPA-2 for the L/R and a XPA-3 running my center, so the power is
there. does anyone know news in the pipe line if SVS is going to offer a big mamoth center sometime
in the future?
post #228 of 237 Old 11-19-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I auditioned them and sent them back. They look great and the towers can play low. Otherwise they were not very special. The highs were very fatiguing. I couldn't listen to them for a long time at moderate volume and very short periods of high volume was not enjoyable either.

I have since moved on to high efficiency speakers like JTR. Check them out.

If you can glue some boxes together and screw in some woofers I'd look at the DIYSoundGroup speakers for home theater.
post #229 of 237 Old 11-19-2015, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by laychooba View Post
does anyone know news in the pipe line if SVS is going to offer a big mamoth center sometime
in the future?
Highly unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
I auditioned them and sent them back. They look great and the towers can play low. Otherwise they were not very special. The highs were very fatiguing. I couldn't listen to them for a long time at moderate volume and very short periods of high volume was not enjoyable either.

I have since moved on to high efficiency speakers like JTR. Check them out.

If you can glue some boxes together and screw in some woofers I'd look at the DIYSoundGroup speakers for home theater.
Fatiguing?

SVS Ultra Bookshelves (Gloss White) / SVS SB13-Ultra / 2x Flex 12's / 2x V.B.S.S's / 2x Dayton 460HO's Marantz SR7008
AKG K712 Pros / SB ZxR
post #230 of 237 Old 11-28-2015, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How would the ULTRA towers compare to POLK LSM25 or LSI707 and Definitive ST 8080?

If anyone knows, please share some input, thanks.
post #231 of 237 Old 01-17-2016, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I ordered a pair of ultra bookshelves to replace my outgoing paradigm signature s.6s. I'm not expecting the svs's to legitimately compare to the sigs, I sold the s.6's because I never listen to two channel music anymore and I figure the ultra will be great with the 2 subs I run for movies. I was hoping there would be more traffic on this thread, curious how other ultra speaker owners like theirs, hearing opinions both good and maybe not so good.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #232 of 237 Old 04-02-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 10956
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingersol1211 View Post
I ordered a pair of ultra bookshelves to replace my outgoing paradigm signature s.6s. I'm not expecting the svs's to legitimately compare to the sigs, I sold the s.6's because I never listen to two channel music anymore and I figure the ultra will be great with the 2 subs I run for movies. I was hoping there would be more traffic on this thread, curious how other ultra speaker owners like theirs, hearing opinions both good and maybe not so good.
This seems to be a board that does not have much interest. No idea why unless the folks on AVS forums don't have much interest in the line...

Any reason why you didn't post back to comment on your purchase?

In any case, my Federal refund hit my bank this morning and it was almost enough to pay for a pair of Ultra bookshelves. So, I'll kick in a few more bucks and place my order.

Hope you're enjoying yours

Regards, Ken (Retired)
9.1) Denon 4520CI; Samsung 55H8000 & BD-F7500; L/R SVS Ultra BS, Ultra Center;
RS Celestion 5; FH & SS Polk; Klipsch R-12SW; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nakamichi RE-2, CDC-4A, CR7A, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #233 of 237 Old 04-02-2016, 05:30 PM

I didn't post again after my original one because there was no posts after mine, till now. My ultra bookshelves had big shoes to fill, taking over main duties from my old sigs v.3. I had a little sellers remorse for a while till I got used to the UBS, they are not as insanely detailed as the sigs but still very clean sounding, I see you use a denon 4520, that is also what I use in a 7.2 system. I am still running a paradigm center and am thinking about getting a SVS center, I would probably have to go with the prime center because of space issues.
post #234 of 237 Old 04-02-2016, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I didn't post again after my original one because there was no posts after mine, till now. My ultra bookshelves had big shoes to fill, taking over main duties from my old sigs v.3. I had a little sellers remorse for a while till I got used to the UBS, they are not as insanely detailed as the sigs but still very clean sounding, I see you use a denon 4520, that is also what I use in a 7.2 system. I am still running a paradigm center and am thinking about getting a SVS center, I would probably have to go with the prime center because of space issues.
Hi ingersol1211,

There has been some comments about the Ultra Center on the SVS Prime Series board. Seems most of the comments I read were pretty positive once folks got some burn in time on it. Someone complained so folks stopped talking about it but you can find some comments on several pages around here: New SVS Prime series speakers

It was a tight squeeze for me. The opening in my stand is ~9" and I could tilt the center up about half an inch. I really like it, I'm not a hard core audiophile, the sound seems more open than my old Celestion 5 BS I was using as a center. Certainly hearing more bass, dialog seems clearer also. Attached a couple of photos. The spacer bar you can see under the center is now painted flat black and is invisible

Take care,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Vertical.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1355074   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Horizontal.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	1355082  

Regards, Ken (Retired)
post #235 of 237 Old 04-02-2016, 06:35 PM

Nice pictures, definitely a tight fit, if it wasn't for that cabinet above the TV a guy would be tempted to wall mount the TV and put your ultra center on the top shelf.but we all make it work one way or another, in Canada with the exchange rate the ultra center is a expensive speaker. Check out sonicboom.ca to see what we pay for SVS in Canada, so it'll be the prime center for me eventually.
post #236 of 237 Old 04-02-2016, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nice pictures, definitely a tight fit, if it wasn't for that cabinet above the TV a guy would be tempted to wall mount the TV and put your ultra center on the top shelf.but we all make it work one way or another, in Canada with the exchange rate the ultra center is a expensive speaker. Check out sonicboom.ca to see what we pay for SVS in Canada, so it'll be the prime center for me eventually.
Thanks for the comments I made the display shelf about 15 years ago, its very heavy I was without a TV for ~14 years and when I picked up the Samsung it just happened to be the same width, 48.5", and just the right height. Well, the right height considering I bought the lowest stand I could find, 18".

I have considered putting the center on top of the stand but what a pain to raise the display shelf I also considered making a riser for the TV and covering up a few inches of the display shelf but I know that would nag at me Still might do it because the shelf disappears when the lights go out to watch something.

Yikes, CAD: $978.60, exchange rate is really making it difficult for our Northern neighbors. I recall holding Canadian $ before the melt down in '08, right around parity then but I sold out when things started going south for the Loonie, same with Australian $... Somehow our FED has printed trillions of dollars and people still want them, at what I think is a premium price.

Plenty of complements for the Prime Center. I considered getting it but I figured at my age this is likely the last upgrade for me

Regards, Ken (Retired)
post #237 of 237 Old 04-30-2016, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Decided to follow your suggestion to raise the TV... A riser is now a work in progress. Several photos for today. Cut several biscuit pockets and right now the 3 foot back piece and one side piece are glued and drying. Before I did the gluing I used a Forstner bit to cut a nice half circle for the speaker wires. The shelf height is 7" and the TV is 2 1/2" above the shelf so I have plenty of room for the Ultra center and can angle it up about an inch or two in the front if need be...

I would have done the slot for the support shelves with a blind end if I were finishing the oak in a natural state but since this will be painted I'll fill in the slot ends after getting it all glued up.

I got my tax refund recently, $960, so I bought a pair of the Ultra BSs, $950 with my 5% repeat buyer discount. They really made another big improvement in the sound!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pieces cut Slot cut with router.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1415914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dry fit.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	1415922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dry fit bottom view.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	1415930  

Regards, Ken (Retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Svs , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page