Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 226 Old 10-12-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 296
I saw that last night. I am in the Market for speakers as we are moving next month. Hard to buy without any kind of reviews but they look good smile.gif
post #3 of 226 Old 10-12-2012, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
interesting...... They picked a very competitive price category for towers
post #4 of 226 Old 10-12-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 625
That's true, there are so many other good choices out there at that price point. However, as with all higher-end stuff, their net profits will be much larger. I would guess that's why they are clearing out the S line, the profit margins are too small on budget speakers.
post #5 of 226 Old 10-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
I auditioned the ultra towers just now at RMAF...pretty impressive. I thought at least as good as the Versus Grand just a couple of rooms down, if not better. Very nice looking also.

post #6 of 226 Old 10-12-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

I auditioned the ultra towers just now at RMAF...pretty impressive. I thought at least as good as the Versus Grand just a couple of rooms down, if not better. Very nice looking also.

Can you provide more details as far as how these compare with the Aperion Verus Grand? Not only that, but also to the VGC and Versus surround. Where you able to audition the 5-channel setup from AVS?
post #7 of 226 Old 10-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

It is hard to sort out all the details. This was my 1st show, and going from a room with 2000 towers, to 150 bookshelves, to 68000 towers really makes it hard to have a baseline. They just sounded clear and dynamic to me. I will try to listen again tomorrow.

post #8 of 226 Old 10-12-2012, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 138
SVSound had two set up in the room, set up at 90 degrees of each other. The towers were in a 2 channel set up with a Classe pre and amp (didn't catch the model numbers). They were a couple of feet into the room, giving the ports on the back plenty of room to breathe. The monitors, center, surrounds and an SB13-Ultra were set up with Rotel gear in a 5.1 configuration. The monitors were surprisingly close to the wall behind them (maybe 4"-5" from the port to the wall). The room had several SVSound staff on hand to answer questions, including Gary Yacoubian, Dan Marks (the Director of Operations) and Mark Mason, the lead speaker designer. All were friendly, fun, and knowledgeable. They also had a PB13-Ultra on display with a corner cutaway to show the massive driver and stout enclosure. I was both thrilled at how cool the cutaway was and saddened to see the proud warrior cut apart.

I got to demo both set-ups, and came away impressed. Before I give any impressions, the disclaimers: the room was too small in my opinion, and it is a show, so set up and treatments etc. will have an impact when people actually have these in their homes, any opinions I give are purely subjective, based off of audio memory (which is very fallible), and the opinions are really only relevant to me as we all have different ears, tastes, preferences, etc. Also, I am an owner of SVS gear (subs) and a fan of the company. Finally, I forgot my media at work in my rush to get out the door (D'oh!) so I was listening to other peoples tunes. With the exception of one track I know very well (Miles Davis Blue in Green), most of the tracks I heard were unfamiliar to me.

First impression, the bass. I heard the bass from the hallway before I even got to the door. This didn't really surprise me, it's SVS after all, but then I found out it was just the towers with no sub. That did surprise me a bit. The mid-range was clear, and if a little laid back (as opposed to the British tradition one finds in, say, KEF's R-series or the new LS50's), it blended very well with the highs. The upper registers actually surprised me the most, in a very good way. I found the tweeters provided plenty of air, without coming across as etch-a-sketch "hi-fi." I heard a lot of detail through the mids and tweets, and after a good solid listen to the speakers, I was very impressed with just how clean they sounded. The Ultra towers reminded me of a lot of the higher end ($$$$) speakers that I was listening to at the show.

All of the top end goodness caries over to the monitors. In a way, I actually preferred the monitors with the sub through the mid-range as it seemed better tailored to the room. With the monitors so close to the wall, I was expecting them to be a bit boomy, but it wasn't at all. I forgot to check or ask if they had any type of port bungs in them or even offered.

(As a side note, I think SVS should bring some bass traps if they come next year, the towers could overload the room at times. But that is a room issue, not the speakers as far as I could tell)

As for the 5.1 demo, SVS was using a demo disc with a few different tracks and clips on it. One was a 5.1 DTS MA recording of a classical music concert. The bass definition was very good, but I was more impressed with the sound of the bow's on the stringed instruments. Again, I found plenty of detail and impact here, with out the brightness and artificial edge that a lot of speakers impart. The recordings didn't have much that really brought attention to the center or surrounds, but that could also be that they were just blending with the mains very well. I would have liked some tracks with dialogue and/or vocals to be able to see how the monitors and center blended with the human voice when it pans across the front soundstage. Maybe I'll take a BD or DVD with me tomorrow. I did note however that the volume was deceptive. When we were demoing some of the 5.1 tracks, the system was very clean, and it appeared to be playing at a moderate volume. Then I noticed that two other people were talking, and having to talk quite loud over some of the bombastic parts, and I couldn't make out what they were saying. I was about 3-4 feet from them, so it kind of came as a shock.

The enclosures are all visually interesting. The trapezoidal shape, combined with the cut-lines along the corners, make the speakers look smaller than they really are. They are also rather unique, with so many speakers either being straight edged rectangles or the almost ubiquitous bowed sides that have become de rigueur over the last 5-10 years. I wish the enclosures came in some of the super-sexy finishes that Aperion was showing off, but the high gloss black looked nice and will probably fit in with a lot of homes. On my second visit to the room (I came back to hear the 5.1), Thomas J. Norton was in the room, and commented about the potential issues with the gloss finish and front PJ's. The screen on the towers only covers the upper half of the speaker, and the lower front face is the gloss black, which might give a reflection. He has a point, but the speakers are also available in black oak if that is a big concern. He also felt the speakers had too much "bling" (his word) with the trim rings, tweeter grill, etc. I humbly disagree, they kind of reminded me of the KEF R's and some B&W's. Though I would have preferred the trim rings to have hidden the screws as the KEF R's do (see pic's on the product lit to see what I am talking about).

One other note, the last song I listened to was some heavy metal song that another attendee brought in ( I think he said the name of the band was Lamb of God, but I could be misremembering). Not my kind of music, but it did show that while the bass on the towers is rather strong at low to pretty high volumes, when pushed it will compress. The Classe pre was showing a volume of -6.5 (but I have no idea what it was calibrated to), and the mids and highs were still going, but the bass didn't seem to be as powerful and defined. This could have been the recording, but if metal is your thing, I'd still get a sub if you want to crank the tunes.

In the end I was really impressed. I came away thinking that SVS had done something different with the voicing, on purpose, of the speakers. While they were very easy to listen to, they didn't have the same sound that a lot of $2k towers seem to emulate. They had plenty of detail, kind of like the Salk Song Towers do, a lot of energy in the upper range without being bright, and plenty of bass.

As for pic's, sorry, I don't have any. My wife lost our camera years ago, and if any of you have met me you've seen why we never replaced it

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #9 of 226 Old 10-13-2012, 10:24 AM

Liked: 801
I haven't seen any mention regarding speaker sensitivity. Has anybody seen mention of this spec?

-
post #10 of 226 Old 10-13-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I haven't seen any mention regarding speaker sensitivity. Has anybody seen mention of this spec?
-

The towers are listed as 88 db (2.83V @ 1 M). I forgot to grab literature on the others, but IIRC, they were all a touch lower than the towers, in the 85-87 range.

I'll try to grab the fliers over the weekend if you want.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #11 of 226 Old 10-13-2012, 02:18 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

The towers are listed as 88 db (2.83V @ 1 M). I forgot to grab literature on the others, but IIRC, they were all a touch lower than the towers, in the 85-87 range.
I'll try to grab the fliers over the weekend if you want.

Thanks! No need. A reasonable generalization works a treat.
post #12 of 226 Old 10-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

SVSound had two set up in the room, set up at 90 degrees of each other. The towers were in a 2 channel set up with a Classe pre and amp (didn't catch the model numbers). They were a couple of feet into the room, giving the ports on the back plenty of room to breathe. The monitors, center, surrounds and an SB13-Ultra were set up with Rotel gear in a 5.1 configuration. The monitors were surprisingly close to the wall behind them (maybe 4"-5" from the port to the wall). The room had several SVSound staff on hand to answer questions, including Gary Yacoubian, Dan Marks (the Director of Operations) and Mark Mason, the lead speaker designer. All were friendly, fun, and knowledgeable. They also had a PB13-Ultra on display with a corner cutaway to show the massive driver and stout enclosure. I was both thrilled at how cool the cutaway was and saddened to see the proud warrior cut apart.
I got to demo both set-ups, and came away impressed. Before I give any impressions, the disclaimers: the room was too small in my opinion, and it is a show, so set up and treatments etc. will have an impact when people actually have these in their homes, any opinions I give are purely subjective, based off of audio memory (which is very fallible), and the opinions are really only relevant to me as we all have different ears, tastes, preferences, etc. Also, I am an owner of SVS gear (subs) and a fan of the company. Finally, I forgot my media at work in my rush to get out the door (D'oh!) so I was listening to other peoples tunes. With the exception of one track I know very well (Miles Davis Blue in Green), most of the tracks I heard were unfamiliar to me.
First impression, the bass. I heard the bass from the hallway before I even got to the door. This didn't really surprise me, it's SVS after all, but then I found out it was just the towers with no sub. That did surprise me a bit. The mid-range was clear, and if a little laid back (as opposed to the British tradition one finds in, say, KEF's R-series or the new LS50's), it blended very well with the highs. The upper registers actually surprised me the most, in a very good way. I found the tweeters provided plenty of air, without coming across as etch-a-sketch "hi-fi." I heard a lot of detail through the mids and tweets, and after a good solid listen to the speakers, I was very impressed with just how clean they sounded. The Ultra towers reminded me of a lot of the higher end ($$$$) speakers that I was listening to at the show.
All of the top end goodness caries over to the monitors. In a way, I actually preferred the monitors with the sub through the mid-range as it seemed better tailored to the room. With the monitors so close to the wall, I was expecting them to be a bit boomy, but it wasn't at all. I forgot to check or ask if they had any type of port bungs in them or even offered.
(As a side note, I think SVS should bring some bass traps if they come next year, the towers could overload the room at times. But that is a room issue, not the speakers as far as I could tell)
As for the 5.1 demo, SVS was using a demo disc with a few different tracks and clips on it. One was a 5.1 DTS MA recording of a classical music concert. The bass definition was very good, but I was more impressed with the sound of the bow's on the stringed instruments. Again, I found plenty of detail and impact here, with out the brightness and artificial edge that a lot of speakers impart. The recordings didn't have much that really brought attention to the center or surrounds, but that could also be that they were just blending with the mains very well. I would have liked some tracks with dialogue and/or vocals to be able to see how the monitors and center blended with the human voice when it pans across the front soundstage. Maybe I'll take a BD or DVD with me tomorrow. I did note however that the volume was deceptive. When we were demoing some of the 5.1 tracks, the system was very clean, and it appeared to be playing at a moderate volume. Then I noticed that two other people were talking, and having to talk quite loud over some of the bombastic parts, and I couldn't make out what they were saying. I was about 3-4 feet from them, so it kind of came as a shock.
The enclosures are all visually interesting. The trapezoidal shape, combined with the cut-lines along the corners, make the speakers look smaller than they really are. They are also rather unique, with so many speakers either being straight edged rectangles or the almost ubiquitous bowed sides that have become de rigueur over the last 5-10 years. I wish the enclosures came in some of the super-sexy finishes that Aperion was showing off, but the high gloss black looked nice and will probably fit in with a lot of homes. On my second visit to the room (I came back to hear the 5.1), Thomas J. Norton was in the room, and commented about the potential issues with the gloss finish and front PJ's. The screen on the towers only covers the upper half of the speaker, and the lower front face is the gloss black, which might give a reflection. He has a point, but the speakers are also available in black oak if that is a big concern. He also felt the speakers had too much "bling" (his word) with the trim rings, tweeter grill, etc. I humbly disagree, they kind of reminded me of the KEF R's and some B&W's. Though I would have preferred the trim rings to have hidden the screws as the KEF R's do (see pic's on the product lit to see what I am talking about).
One other note, the last song I listened to was some heavy metal song that another attendee brought in ( I think he said the name of the band was Lamb of God, but I could be misremembering). Not my kind of music, but it did show that while the bass on the towers is rather strong at low to pretty high volumes, when pushed it will compress. The Classe pre was showing a volume of -6.5 (but I have no idea what it was calibrated to), and the mids and highs were still going, but the bass didn't seem to be as powerful and defined. This could have been the recording, but if metal is your thing, I'd still get a sub if you want to crank the tunes.
In the end I was really impressed. I came away thinking that SVS had done something different with the voicing, on purpose, of the speakers. While they were very easy to listen to, they didn't have the same sound that a lot of $2k towers seem to emulate. They had plenty of detail, kind of like the Salk Song Towers do, a lot of energy in the upper range without being bright, and plenty of bass.
As for pic's, sorry, I don't have any. My wife lost our camera years ago, and if any of you have met me you've seen why we never replaced it

I went back today and listened to the towers again. I agree with alot of the impression stated above. I felt the high end was excellent, clear and not harsh. The bass on the two tracks I played was also powerful. I brought in two very different demos, Metallica, Nothing else Matters, and the second movement from Beethoven's 9th. On the rock song, the early acoustic guitars sounded great, and the speaker really has good dynamics when the song heats up. The male voice sounded prety good too. On the symphony, the presence of the speaker as the music builds was powerful, obviously not the same as some of the bigger, more expensive towers at the show, but quite good. I agree that the soundstage was not as impressive as some others, but I found that all the setups in the smaller rooms suffered from this, because the speakers are pretty close together and you are sitting close. For example, the Salk room was a suite, so the speakers were maybe 10-12 feet apart as opposed to maybe 6-7 feet apart.

post #13 of 226 Old 10-14-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyp3 View Post

interesting...... They picked a very competitive price category for towers

Well at $2000/pair I would like to listen to them before buying, no matter how reputable the brand is, as it is such a hassle to return large, heavy items. When I checked with UPS/FedEx, they do not offer insurance for large speakers unless I double box the original box and double boxing a large speaker is not practical.
post #14 of 226 Old 10-16-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Hey all

I love SVS sound, started with 1 PB2 than added a second one.
Then I switch them for 2 PB13 Ultra.

This new line look very promising.
But, and this a big BUT.

The description go as fellow
1" aluminum dome UltraSonic tweeter.
Dual 6.5" UltraSonic midrange drivers.
Dual 8" UltraSonic woofers.
Also cast driver, not stamp.

The UltraSonic sound something like BOSE would use!!!
Cast mean it has to be a quality driver.
But the wording UltraSonic sound like a marqueting gizmo.

Is it just me?

They look beautifuf but I think they just tell us who is the manufacture something like Morel, Vifa, Scanspeak or the like.

I would like to purchase a full 7 set-up if the reviews are good, but coming from DIY speaker UltraSonic does not sit well with me.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #15 of 226 Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^

I agree to an extent. Anytime a mfg. starts copyrighting and trademarking terms, it can be a bit cheesy.

On the plus side, the speakers sound great, look great, and are at a very good price point. I can put up with a bit of cheese as a tradeoff here.

I forgot to mention a couple of other items about these that the designer told me. The ones at RMAF are basically the only sets in existence right now and they are still working on a last tweak or two appearance wise. The metal trim rings are apparently going to be a bit darker in production, and I think he mentioned the mesh grill over the tweeter is going to be the same shade (or at least not black as it is on these).

Also, I was told they aren't going to be offering a preorder price, but will be offering a shipping promotion. If the speaker is purchased and the owner is unsatisfied, SVS will pick up the return shipping. It shows some confidence here as the towers are something like 65 pounds each unpacked.

~Nick

post #16 of 226 Old 10-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^
I agree to an extent. Anytime a mfg. starts copyrighting and trademarking terms, it can be a bit cheesy.
On the plus side, the speakers sound great, look great, and are at a very good price point. I can put up with a bit of cheese as a tradeoff here.
I forgot to mention a couple of other items about these that the designer told me. The ones at RMAF are basically the only sets in existence right now and they are still working on a last tweak or two appearance wise. The metal trim rings are apparently going to be a bit darker in production, and I think he mentioned the mesh grill over the tweeter is going to be the same shade (or at least not black as it is on these).
Also, I was told they aren't going to be offering a preorder price, but will be offering a shipping promotion. If the speaker is purchased and the owner is unsatisfied, SVS will pick up the return shipping. It shows some confidence here as the towers are something like 65 pounds each unpacked.

They told me the same thing. I think that is a great offer and shows confidence. I found this write up about the new line. It has some more in depth info.

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=277:svss-ultra-tower-a-budget-speaker-breakthrough&catid=92:rmaf-2012-general&Itemid=346

post #17 of 226 Old 10-17-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Sounds promising. Thank you for linking the article. I am about to move to a new house and need new speakers. These are at towards the top of the list as of right now.
post #18 of 226 Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am also curious to see if an extra sub is really needed for home theater use. I would be great to reduce the footprint.
post #19 of 226 Old 10-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savora View Post

I am also curious to see if an extra sub is really needed for home theater use. I would be great to reduce the footprint.

That depends on your tastes. I feel like a sub really adds oomph to the low end that enhances the experience. Towers like the Ultras just don't do that, even though they play pretty deep for towers. Sure, some towers have built in subs, but that has its own issues, because the best place for the sub might not be the best place for the speakers. If you are setting up a HT system, I would favor getting a sub. If it is mostly for movies, very little music, save money and get the bookshelves and a sub. There is no right answer for this though, because it does depend on personal taste, the room, and budget.

post #20 of 226 Old 10-17-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I cannot imagine, if you are into home theater useage, not having a dedicated subwoofer. These speakers sound very promising and should be solid for two channel audio without a sub.

I am a big fan of SVS. Their products and service are top notch and they walk the walk when it comes to warranties and customer service.

I loved my SCS-01 speakers so much that I gave them to my brother-in-law when it was time to upgrade as I could not stand to sell them.
post #21 of 226 Old 10-17-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savora View Post

For home theater use, I always recommend a sub, but keep in mind that the sub needs to be able to keep up with the speakers. The Ultra towers put out a lot of bass, but they are still just non-powered towers with 8" drivers. With speakers like this, I'd still recommend looking at subs from SVS/Seaton/Hsu/JTR as they can add another dimension to movie soundtracks, and some music.

~Nick

post #22 of 226 Old 10-17-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

In addition to the more complete Soundstage! piece that was linked to by NewHTbuyer, here is a round up of some other coverage.

Sound and Vision

SVS has made some of the world’s greatest subwoofers, but it’s never made much of a name for itself above 100 Hz. The company’s new management team is working to correct that with the new Ultra line of speakers, which includes the $1,999/pair Tower speaker shown here, the $999/pair Bookshelf, the $699 Center, and the $1,199/pair Surround. The Tower totally rocked, with great dynamics, a neutral tonal balance, and much broader dispersion than I expected from its big midwoofers. The company also showed the SB13-Ultra, a new $1,599, flagship sealed-box version of the PB13-Ultra I just reviewed.

HomeTheaterHiFi

Here is the SVS room where they were showing off their new SVS Ultra Towers ($1,999/pr). It was a wise choice on their part to bring in Classe amplification. The Diana Krall track we auditioned impressed me quite a bit, particularly when you consider the price point of these speakers. Designed by Mark Mason, the Ultra Towers were optimized using FEA methods and feature dual opposing 8-inch woofers.

Sterophile

At the center of SVS loudspeaker demo were its prototype, hand-built Ultra Series Ultra Towers ($1999/pair), with a rated response of 28Hz–22kHz (±3dB). Due November 20, the speaker's trapezoidal cabinet, which has no parallel lines, was blasting raucous, sinfully compressed, ridiculously tipped up rock courtesy of Classé's CA-2300 amplifier and CP-800 preamp. Once the energy shifted, I enjoyed the lovely touch of sanity delivered by cellist Antonio Lysy (from Antonio Lysy At the Broad on Yarlung Records playing Piazzola's "Oblivion" on a fabulous CD that is also available in hi-res download format from Linn. And when the Ultra Series is released, it will also include the SVS Ultra Bookshelf ($999/pair), SVS Ultra Center ($699), and SVS Ultra Surround ($1199/pair).

~Nick

post #23 of 226 Old 10-17-2012, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

...I loved my SCS-01 speakers so much that I gave them to my brother-in-law when it was time to upgrade as I could not stand to sell them.

Hey ACK,

to be honest, I'm still in love with mines tough and when upgrading time comes (not now, for sure), I'll strongly consider SVS as my # 1 choice indeed! wink.gifsmile.gifcool.gif

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #24 of 226 Old 10-17-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
I cannot imagine, if you are into home theater useage, not having a dedicated subwoofer. These speakers sound very promising and should be solid for two channel audio without a sub.

I am a big fan of SVS. Their products and service are top notch and they walk the walk when it comes to warranties and customer service.

I loved my SCS-01 speakers so much that I gave them to my brother-in-law when it was time to upgrade as I could not stand to sell them.

I agree, SVS subs are top notch ( I've owned 2 - a box sub, and currently have a cylinder sub ) and these new speakers look very promising. If I were in the market for new speakers they would be at the top of my list

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #25 of 226 Old 10-17-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I agree, SVS subs are top notch ( I've owned 2 - a box sub, and currently have a cylinder sub ) and these new speakers look very promising. If I were in the market for new speakers they would be at the top of my list

I've used dual 2039PC+ cylinders for could be 10 years, and they've mated very well with my Dunlavy SC-IVA's. I share them with my music and movie systems with a Parasound P7 preamp that has Home Theater Bypass and it's own subwoofer trim.

Very nice subs.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #26 of 226 Old 10-17-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Like I said, I love SVS subs

And now they finaly came with a line of speakers looking worty to replace my DIY that I spend 100s of hours to built.

The reviews look very promising and the speakers look great.

I just think they don't need the cheezey description of the UltraSonic.

I will more than likely end-up with a full 7.2 system since I have already got 2 PB13Ultra and Love them.

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #27 of 226 Old 10-18-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I agree they were on par or perhaps a bit more detailed than the grands.
Quote:

I went back today and listened to the towers again. I agree with alot of the impression stated above. I felt the high end was excellent, clear and not harsh. The bass on the two tracks I played was also powerful. I brought in two very different demos, Metallica, Nothing else Matters, and the second movement from Beethoven's 9th. On the rock song, the early acoustic guitars sounded great, and the speaker really has good dynamics when the song heats up. The male voice sounded prety good too. On the symphony, the presence of the speaker as the music builds was powerful, obviously not the same as some of the bigger, more expensive towers at the show, but quite good. I agree that the soundstage was not as impressive as some others, but I found that all the setups in the smaller rooms suffered from this, because the speakers are pretty close together and you are sitting close. For example, the Salk room was a suite, so the speakers were maybe 10-12 feet apart as opposed to maybe 6-7 feet apart.
I think at the price point the speaker did well relative to others at the show. HOWEVER, I did feel the high end at moderate and high volumes lacked the distinction I had heard on other speakers, granted none of them at this price point, but at least for me within reach. I came in wanted to audition these, the verus grands and several others. I ultimately came away pushing up my budget because I felt the benefits of some of the other speakers outweighed their increase in price. Specifically the PSB T2's and the Salk Supercharged Song Towers. But at 3500 dollars they SHOULD be better.

I things got a bit muddy on the highs for me and vocals lacked the distinction that was so clear from the mfg's I just mentioned.
However, if you're playing in the 2,000/pair area (where I was) these are no doubt quite good and I would not hesitate to recommend them to someone on a budget. But at this price point you'd serve yourself well to listen to as many brands and models as you can. Competition is stiff and there are some nuanced differences between them. For example, I don't think you go wrong with these or the grands or the Salk Songtowers. All would provide the buyer years of fantastic listening pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

Like I said, I love SVS subs
And now they finaly came with a line of speakers looking worty to replace my DIY that I spend 100s of hours to built.
The reviews look very promising and the speakers look great.
I just think they don't need the cheezey description of the UltraSonic.
I will more than likely end-up with a full 7.2 system since I have already got 2 PB13Ultra and Love them.
Ray
I LOVE SVS subs. I own one and everyone who comes over and wants a demo is blown away, then I tell them I've never had the sub turned up above 40% and their mind is boggled.
post #28 of 226 Old 10-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

I agree they were on par or perhaps a bit more detailed than the grands.
I think at the price point the speaker did well relative to others at the show. HOWEVER, I did feel the high end at moderate and high volumes lacked the distinction I had heard on other speakers, granted none of them at this price point, but at least for me within reach. I came in wanted to audition these, the verus grands and several others. I ultimately came away pushing up my budget because I felt the benefits of some of the other speakers outweighed their increase in price. Specifically the PSB T2's and the Salk Supercharged Song Towers. But at 3500 dollars they SHOULD be better.
I things got a bit muddy on the highs for me and vocals lacked the distinction that was so clear from the mfg's I just mentioned.
However, if you're playing in the 2,000/pair area (where I was) these are no doubt quite good and I would not hesitate to recommend them to someone on a budget. But at this price point you'd serve yourself well to listen to as many brands and models as you can. Competition is stiff and there are some nuanced differences between them. For example, I don't think you go wrong with these or the grands or the Salk Songtowers. All would provide the buyer years of fantastic listening pleasure.
I LOVE SVS subs. I own one and everyone who comes over and wants a demo is blown away, then I tell them I've never had the sub turned up above 40% and their mind is boggled.

Hehe..I felt the same way about jumping up in price abit. I thought I noticed an improvement moving to the supercharged Songtowers and the Von Schweikert VR-22. So, I will probably up my budget to closer to three grand. But, I most likely will still consider the Ultra towers for a test drive. The reason is, I listen to lots of rock and they seem well suited for that, because of their strong low end. I still have time for more research before I actually purchase, but going to RMAF was really helpful. I wish Ascend had been there with their Sierra towers...

post #29 of 226 Old 10-19-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the links Snowmanicks

Does anyone knows if they will be available through Sonicboom in Canada or is it like my first sub The PB2 through SVS in the states
only?

Ed from SVS your input would be appreciated.Or anyone that might know.

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #30 of 226 Old 10-20-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey all

Nobody reply to my last, so I will take it as no-one knows.

What would you guys do if ordering this new line?
Glossy or real black oak vineer?

The way I see it is;
Glossy look beautiful but get reflection from the front projector.
Black oak vineer has much less reflection from the front projector but look (i would assume) good.

Wish one would you buy if was for you in an dictaded home theater with control light enviroment?

I would very much appreciate all opinions just to see what would the majority would do!

I personelly leaning toward the glossy since the finish look so nice.

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
Reply Speakers

Tags
Svs , Speaker Systems