FOCAL Chorus 814V vs WHARFEDALE - EVO2-40 vs Klipsch RF-82ii - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-12-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Need some advice in deciding between these speakers. I haven't heard the Focals or Whafedale but they seem very well regarded. I have heard the Klipsch, they sound good overall. This will be primarily use for HT in a 19x14 living room with open space. The reason behind these specific models is that they are on sale way under their regular price, so it gives me a chance to get something a bit higher than my budget allows. I'll start with a 2.0 system and eventually move up to 5.1 or 2. I want to stay under $1600 for the two towers & avr. I also would like some input on the avr since am not familiar with pioneer (have used denon with a prior system). I'm looking for dynamics & wide sound stage. Thanks in advance!.....Links below:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15535-wharfedale-evo2-40-tower-speakers-pr.aspx
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/FOCAL814V/FOCAL-Chorus-814V-716v-Dual-6-Floorstanding-Speakers-Gloss-Black-Pair/1.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117412

The Klipsch are not really on sale but I can get the for about 900/pair from acoustic sound design.
Focals-900/pair form accessories4less
Wharfedales-800/pair from music direct
Pioneer avr-600 after discount from Newegg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-12-2012, 03:52 PM

Liked: 38
If the only speaker you have heard is the Klipsch, this speaker is about as different from the Focal/Wharfedales as night and day. The Klipsch has a compression horn tweeter and is extremely efficient. The Focal/Wharfedales have dome tweeters, first one metal, second one soft fabric and these two have differences in sound characteristics too. Which one is best? Cannot say - they are all good. The question is which one sounds best to you.

I realize not all speakers can be auditioned espcially the Wharfedales - they are hard to find and the Music Direct deal is stellar. But you should be able to listen to some other models that have a metal dome and a soft dome. You will find that these types of tweeters are more laid back and speakers utilizing them are not as efficient. But despite being laid back and not as loud, they may sound better to you. Of all three, I have a preference for soft domes having actually just sold a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.6's when I upgraded to Vienna Acoustics. All soft dome speakers.

Once you find out what type of sound you prefer, then you can either rule out or elevate the Focals and Wharfedales to your list. The Pioneer you are looking at appears to be a very capable AVR and should do a gopod jb with all three models you are considering. I have read good things about Pioneers new Class D3 amplification. I also have a Pioneer SC25 that I use as a pre-pro and like the advanced MCACC room correction very much. Hope this helps and good luck.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #3 of 8 Old 10-12-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 16
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm limited to Fry's, Paul's TV's & BB to audition speakers. With the exception of Klipsch they really don't have much there & some of the speakers are out in the sales area. Hard to get a grasp on their sound in an open area like that. The reason I looked at Klipsch in the first place is because of their dynamics and sound stage which I like for HT. Maybe someone out there has heard these speakers & can chime in. I'll look at anything that's good for ht & within my budget, thank you.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
fwiw,imo if this is strictly for tv/movies and gaming i would lean more towards the klipsch. they are more effecent and will get you more towards reference levels than the others and will give you a good soundstage and dynamics. but if you enjoy listening to music also i would go with either the focals or wharedales. like i said this is only my opinion and i have auditioned the klipsch rb82's and other horn speakers for my music only system and really didn't care for them hey but thats just me others might like the sound. the only problem i see with buying the wharfedales is the availability of a center channel when you go to upgrade, very hard to find. the focals would fit into the just right catagory if music is a must. they will get loud enough for your size room and would be great for ht and music. although i have not listened to the exact models of the focals and wharfes , i have listened to other models close to them and enjoyed them. just my 2 cents. as for getting to listen to different types of speakers do what i do and go to your local craigs list and find some good speakers and go listen to them.you dont have to buyand you get an idea what you like and dont like. i've listened to hundreds of high quality speakers in the past few years.(thiels, kef, martin logan, vandersteen,monitor audio,snell, focals, revels, revolvers,phasetech.'s , def.techs, klipsch, triangles, jbl,nht,psb and many others.) , my wife thinks i'm crazy but when you get intrested in this hobby you have to be.

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #5 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 07:02 AM

Liked: 38
Great point Smasher about the availability of a center channel for the EVO's. The OP did indicated he may build toward 5.1 system some day. No doubt he would have to search the used market for an EVO center. Whereas the Klipsch and Focal are readily available new.

The lack of an EVO center and whether or not music plays a big factor, should help you reduce your short list even more Rexathor. Also, if looking for opinions from folks who have actually heard the Focals and Wharfedales models your thinking about, suggest you post on the owners thread columns in this forum. It is a sticky up at the top when you go into Speakers. Once clicked, you can select your brand and talk to actual owners. Again, good luck in whatever you decide.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #6 of 8 Old 10-14-2012, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Paraneer is correct the Klipsch and everyone who has owned these know, as i my self do. They are extremely efficient and very bright which gives movies a slight edge, but for music it's sort of a down fall. Mine are the old RF3II being powered an Emotiva LPA-1 seven channel this amp helps give these a bit of warmth back to the klipsch but non the less their still very bright. From what I've read the new RF7II Kplisch have a different crossover which tends to give the tweeter more mids, in other words they reduced the brightsness of the previous horns. I still don't get how the crossovers work since the horns drivers are the same? Also the RF7II would cost as much as other high ends. But if you want loud then hold on the Klipsch will sure give that!!!!
post #7 of 8 Old 10-14-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob47v View Post

Paraneer is correct the Klipsch and everyone who has owned these know, as i my self do. They are extremely efficient and very bright which gives movies a slight edge, but for music it's sort of a down fall. Mine are the old RF3II being powered an Emotiva LPA-1 seven channel this amp helps give these a bit of warmth back to the klipsch but non the less their still very bright. From what I've read the new RF7II Kplisch have a different crossover which tends to give the tweeter more mids, in other words they reduced the brightsness of the previous horns. I still don't get how the crossovers work since the horns drivers are the same? Also the RF7II would cost as much as other high ends. But if you want loud then hold on the Klipsch will sure give that!!!!

I have owned B&W 602 S2, PSB T65, C60, Magnepan MG12, Mirage (cant recall the model), Def Tech CLR 2000/2002, Klipsch RF82, RC62 and now I have the Klipsch KG series (KG 3.2, 4.2, 4.5, 5.2) and I dont find the Klipsch bright at all. It is all personal preference. High end is never fatiguing to me.

So I would disagree with a blanket statement that all Klipsch owners find them too bright. My only complaint with Klipsch is that the mids are a bit forward and that is why they may not appear as smooth for music as other speakers which have laid back mids like the B&W 602 S2 or the Vienna Acoustics Haydn/Mozart Grand.

I just use some manual EQ to tame down the mids, both the fundamental and higher harmonics. You may be surprised to know that I also found the mids on the Magnepan MG12 to be not as laid back as the B&W 602 S2 or the Haydn/Mozart Grand. Instead of spending 3K on the Mozart Grand and still invest on a good sub, I found more value in the Klipsch KG series with a little manual EQ of the mids. Well it is all subjective.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-14-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
BTW if the primary use by the OP is for HT and if the speakers are going to be driven by an AVR, then Klipsch RF82 II would be the best bet. You can also get the matching center for it which is the RC62 II.

Using Audyssey MultEQ XT or any room correction may not help much with the mids for music if you prefer laid back mids like I do, unless you have the option to apply manual EQ on top of the room correction. I know Audysset MultEQ XT does not allow manul EQ on top of room correction. You can only use a different house curve using the pro kit and that is an expensive proposition, running some $2000 total. You are better off with a room correction that allows manual EQ on top of automatic correction if you want to use Klipsch for music or just use manual EQ for music.

For music, I use Antomode 8033 to EQ the sub and I use the fronts crossed over at 90Hz even though they are capable of going lower. This way I dont get the annoying boomy uncorrected bass from the fronts for music and I can use manual EQ to tame down the mids and this sounds a lot smoother than using Audyssey Flat on my Denon 3310.

I also dont like to buy something I cant listen to before buying. I have never bought speakers without having listened to them.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Pair Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page