Advice for speakers for a a yamaha avr and a small living room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-14-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyone, I am in need of some help picking out some surround sound speakers for a 5.1 setup. I am located in Europe so getting some of the nice stuff based on the many reviews is impossible as we do not have them here. Just as a FYI, here is what the equivalent of Best Buy retail chain has over here: http://technomarket.bg/browse/32
or this one
http://www.technopolis.bg/b2c/cat/0/DEBA53849E8CA4F1A90A002481B479E9/DEBA53C7BFFB04F1A90A002481B479E9/DEBA5518D18987F1A90A002481B479E9

Living Room (see pics attached)
size: 20 square meters - equivalent to 215 square feet I believe
loudness: I am looking for good all around 5.1 sound as opposed to power. Obviously I cannot turn those up too high as I would disturb the neighbors

Living_Room1.jpg 39k .jpg file
Living_Room2.jpg 24k .jpg file

I will be watching:
HDTV
Streaming content
maybe a PS3 down the road

TV: 46 samsung es8000 series
AVR: Yamaha rx-v473 (has Ethernet port)

Speakers:
Option 1: a 5.0 set which I can buy next month while I am in the US
Option 2: a 5.1 set which I can buy from Europe -- e.g. amazon.co.uk
Budget: I am looking for the best bang for my buck, considering the living room requirements listed above. I do not consider myself an audiophile extremist, but I like decent sound and I am pretty picky. So I think maybe $300?

Subwoofer:
I can worry about it a bit later and find something good eventually

Now reading how good the Energy Take Classic are, I was thinking to buy the 5.0 set for 150-200 bucks while in the US next month, stuff them in 1 suitcase and see what happens smile.gif I will have to take a chance if they do not work or show some defect. Is the Energy Take Classic 5.0 the best I can get?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Living_Room1.jpg (38.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Living_Room2.jpg (24.3 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-14-2012, 07:08 AM

Liked: 10
Even I am looking for a smaller setup.

I found JBL and Harman Kardon interesting and smaller in size.

Polk alos is a good alternative.

Energy Takes are a bit plain in my opinion.

Let me know what you decide.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-15-2012, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

So can anyone offer some advice?
post #4 of 6 Old 10-15-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
fwiw,with your budget i would purchace a pair of cambridge audio s30 $220 u.s and start with a good 2.0 system and save and build up a nice system you would get better sound quality with a pair of bookshelves instead of those satelite speakers. then save up for the camb. aud. s50 center $199 and a pair of s20's for surrounds$149 try ebay over there might get some used for cheaper as for a sub i really feel sorry for you and the choices available over there i just looked through some of the most pitiful selection of subs from the stores you listed and the only one that i could suggest would be the yamaha sw 216 for $239 good luck in your search

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #5 of 6 Old 10-15-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw,with your budget i would purchace a pair of cambridge audio s30 $220 u.s and start with a good 2.0 system and save and build up a nice system you would get better sound quality with a pair of bookshelves instead of those satelite speakers. then save up for the camb. aud. s50 center $199 and a pair of s20's for surrounds$149 try ebay over there might get some used for cheaper as for a sub i really feel sorry for you and the choices available over there i just looked through some of the most pitiful selection of subs from the stores you listed and the only one that i could suggest would be the yamaha sw 216 for $239 good luck in your search

Thanks for your reply! Well, I am buying a new TV so I want to have 5.1 fast.. not spend a year building it up... So I was thinking the take classics. How come cnet rates them as outstanding and their best choice for budget?

A friend of mine also recommends that I start out with a good 2.0 setup. He says I should get the Monitor Audio Bronze BX2, then the center from that series, then the satellites, and then the sub.. Basically purchase the whole set of the bx2 5.1 one piece at a time. While this surely would be a good system over time, I am trying to be more practical -- a huge investment on new tv, surround sound ...quick is not going to work. But I would need to wait a year to enjoy surround sound? not so cool :/

Anyway, there are apparently some audio specialized online stores also in the country. Lot's of brands I never heard of and skimpy collection, and some are waayyy overpriced but check them out if you are curious:
1) http://store.avguide.bg/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=176
2) http://bmv.bg/index.php?type=products&cat=30&id_name=0&id_price=1

(sorry no English version of the sites)

What I notice is that Yamaha as a brand is reasonably priced in the country as well as Monitor Audio...

So what do you think of starting out with a 2.1 setup (I want the bass!):

1) yamaha rx-v473 avr
2) Monitor Audio BX2
3) some subwoofer (will be hard to find a cheap sub to complement the monitor audio i think; may have to go used and cheap)
post #6 of 6 Old 10-15-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
fwiw the monitor audio speakers are a very good choice they run about $450 a pair here in the states. . your not alone it seems just about everyone wants to get that 5.1 system with smaller budgets and usually find out that the sound quality lacks. and then start to upgade which costs way more in the long run.if your picky on sound it would be wise imo to start with some good fronts like the monitor audio's and add on. you will find a very noticeable difference in sound quality with just the 2 bookshelves over the tv speakers. ,but its your hard earned money and your choice. good luck
*edit just went to online stores you listed and they have some very good brands of speakers all higher end dont know what currency is used and what it compares to u.s currency. may i ask where your from?

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page