DECISION TIME: Monitor Audio Silver RX8, Center, and RXFX surrounds OR Aperion Verus Grand Towers, Grand Center, and surrounds? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
addictaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Monitor Audio Silver RX8, Center, and RXFX surrounds
OR
Aperion Verus Grand Towers, Grand Center, and Verus surrounds

I think that my decision has boiled down to the two above mentioned set-ups. Which one would you select based upon my criteria and description below, and why? I LOVE the looks of the Aperions. They are heavy and solid. Another plus is that the Aperion Grand Center is a true 3-way design with four drivers, versus the MA's Center, which is a 2 1/2 way design. My main concern, is which system will play louder, clearer/cleaner, and brighter.

The speakers will be installed in a relatively small den (14 x10 with 8-9 feet ceiling). I am using a Denon 4311 as the amplifier and sound processor. The system is hooked up with an Oppo DBP 103 and Sony XBR 929 55-inch TV. The power conditioner is a Panamax M5300 PM. Speaker cables are Audioquest Type 2 and HDMI cables are Audioquest Cinnamon series. The bass is handled by an SVS PB12 +2.

I like a lot of mid-bass/midrange that can blend in with the sub and not leave a gap in the frequency response. I like to listen at loud volumes with no distortion with very bright, detailed, and clear highs. The system will be used for around 50% music and 50% TV and movies, but I LOVE musical speakers, and really crave loud and clean bright high frequencies with a tight and punchy midrange. If not, the bass of the SVS dominates the arena.
addictaudio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
addictaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did not realize that my title was cut off in the thread title, so I added it to the first post.
addictaudio is offline  
post #3 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 01:51 AM
 
MV_Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i had Monitor Audio RX8 (front); RX6 (Back) RX-CLR (Center) and RX-W12 (Sub), and i't a very good speaker, but why don't you consider Klipsch, it's much better.
MV_Cinema is offline  
post #4 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
addictaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

i had Monitor Audio RX8 (front); RX6 (Back) RX-CLR (Center) and RX-W12 (Sub), and i't a very good speaker, but why don't you consider Klipsch, it's much better.

To be honest, this is the first time that I heard that Klipsch is better than Monitor Audio? I heard the RF82's, but they sounded muffled to me, contrary to what everyone else claims regarding their brightness. Now the RF7's are another story. They sound really good, but alos at a much higher retail, especially with the RC64 center speaker. I was under the impression that Monitor Audio is in the same lague as PSB, Paradigm, and B&W, correct?
addictaudio is offline  
post #5 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
addictaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

i had Monitor Audio RX8 (front); RX6 (Back) RX-CLR (Center) and RX-W12 (Sub), and i't a very good speaker, but why don't you consider Klipsch, it's much better.

Why did you get rid of that set-up, and what do you have nowadays?
addictaudio is offline  
post #6 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 02:52 AM
 
MV_Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well "get rid" it's not the correct word, i didn't sold anything i didn't like.
That system provided me very good times, and i love it, but i've upgraded to the following:

Klipsch Set:

- RF-7 II (Front)
- RC-64 II (Center)
- RF-82 II (Back Surrounds)
- SVS PB13 Ultra Subwoofer

But i am a Home Theater guy, no so much music....that was the reason of my upgrade, not that i had any problem with Monitor Audio.
MV_Cinema is offline  
post #7 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 02:54 AM
 
MV_Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

To be honest, this is the first time that I heard that Klipsch is better than Monitor Audio? I heard the RF82's, but they sounded muffled to me, contrary to what everyone else claims regarding their brightness. Now the RF7's are another story. They sound really good, but alos at a much higher retail, especially with the RC64 center speaker. I was under the impression that Monitor Audio is in the same lague as PSB, Paradigm, and B&W, correct?

It depends on the league of B&W you compare it, for example i've heard B&W CM and i think they are superior, but iut's my opinion...i would grade Monitor Audio RX Silver more in pair with B&W 600 Series.
MV_Cinema is offline  
post #8 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
addictaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

Well "get rid" it's not the correct word, i didn't sold anything i didn't like.
That system provided me very good times, and i love it, but i've upgraded to the following:
Klipsch Set:
- RF-7 II (Front)
- RC-64 II (Center)
- RF-82 II (Back Surrounds)
- SVS PB13 Ultra Subwoofer
But i am a Home Theater guy, no so much music....that was the reason of my upgrade, not that i had any problem with Monitor Audio.

That is a great set-up, but one that retails the same as a B&W CM9 set-up. Those RF7's are great though. I heard them with music, and the bass was tight with clear crystal highs, but the RF82's to my ears sounded horrible. They were heard at two different locations though with varying accoustics and power sources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

It depends on the league of B&W you compare it, for example i've heard B&W CM and i think they are superior, but iut's my opinion...i would grade Monitor Audio RX Silver more in pair with B&W 600 Series.

I considered a B&W 683 set-up, but in all honesty the use of vinyle versus actual wood veneers looks really cheap. In my personal opinion I think that the MA Silver Rx8 fits in between the B&W 683 and CM9. The MA Gold Series are great, but the pricing virtually triples for those over the Silver Series.

What do you think of the new SVS Ultra speakers?
addictaudio is offline  
post #9 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 AM
 
MV_Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think you go much better with the Monitor Audio RX Silver than B&W 600 Series, no doubt. B&W 600 series is "crappy" compared to MA and looks not very good.
MA has much more bass...now the B&W CM Series sound better... That's another league in my opinion.

Try to hear this setup i told you with a Pioneer SC-LX90 (Susano) and you will see what i am talking about...then you will love the RF-82's... You must use an agressive amp for those speakers.

As for SVS i think it's good for Subs, but for speakers i really don't know....
MV_Cinema is offline  
post #10 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,272
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

To be honest, this is the first time that I heard that Klipsch is better than Monitor Audio?

Everyone has their taste, and preference - I hands down prefer Monitor Audio
for music and movies over Klipsch. The Klipsch tends to lack in the midrange
for me. I prefer the resolution of the Monitor Audio speakers.

It is not what anyone promises or guarantees, it is all about what sounds best
to you. Good Luck.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #11 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 AM
 
MV_Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Everyone has their taste, and preference - I hands down prefer Monitor Audio
for music and movies over Klipsch. The Klipsch tends to lack in the midrange
for me. I prefer the resolution of the Monitor Audio speakers.
It is not what anyone promises or guarantees, it is all about what sounds best
to you. Good Luck.


You are right in the point of "Sound Taste", but i can tell you that with my Amp in the middle of volume was not worth to go more than that...the speakers just wouldn't go more, if they went more they would damage...something was missing and Klipsch has much more power and detail for movies.
For movies it's much better to have "Horn Speakers", in terms of music is something to discuss...
But comparing MA RX-8 with Klipsch RF-7 II is the same as comparing a Jaguar to a Rolls, let's put things where they belong.
MV_Cinema is offline  
post #12 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,272
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post


But comparing MA RX-8 with Klipsch RF-7 II is the same as comparing a Jaguar to a Rolls, let's put things where they belong.

To each their own.
Plus, the OP's room is only 14 x 10 x 9

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #13 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
addictaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I agree that comparing the MA RX8 to the Klipsch RF7's is not a fair one, because of the difference price points. The RF7's retail for nearly double of what those MA's retail for. On the other hand if moving up to the MA Gold Series, then it is a whole different ball game. I wish that MA had something in between the Silver and Gold, as the prices for the Gold are tripled of what the Silver's go for.


Any opinions or first hand expeirence with the Aperion set-up that I am considering?
addictaudio is offline  
post #14 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
addictaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone been able to do a side by side comparison with the MA Silver RX8 and B&W CM8 or CM9? I know that B&W's retail for more, but the MA Gold retails for a lot more than the B&W CM series, and the 6 series in my opinion are out of the question.
addictaudio is offline  
post #15 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,272
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

Has anyone been able to do a side by side comparison with the MA Silver RX8 and B&W CM8 or CM9? I know that B&W's retail for more, but the MA Gold retails for a lot more than the B&W CM series, and the 6 series in my opinion are out of the question.

You are starting to go around in a circle again.smile.gif
Out of 10 people, what if 5 say Monitor Audio, and the other 5 say B&W?

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #16 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
addictaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

You are starting to go around in a circle again.smile.gif
Out of 10 people, what if 5 say Monitor Audio, and the other 5 say B&W?

I know, and I apologize for that:) The issue is that I have no places really to audion them. I would have to travel a few hundred miles, as the very few local places do not have much of a selection. Buying the speakers is turning out harder than buying a car, which I can easily test drive with no other varaibles involved, such as accoustic treatements, power source, etc... What is YOUR opinion?smile.gif
addictaudio is offline  
post #17 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,272
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

I know, and I apologize for that:) The issue is that I have no places really to audion them. I would have to travel a few hundred miles, as the very few local places do not have much of a selection. Buying the speakers is turning out harder than buying a car, which I can easily test drive with no other varaibles involved, such as accoustic treatements, power source, etc... What is YOUR opinion?smile.gif

At the present, I am not a fan of B&W - however, they are popular.

I would narrow your list to 3 brands, the ones that draw your interest the most.

The word on the Aperion from some forum members, is that they are some-
what lacking, in the midrange and highs for detail and definition. I have not
listened to them.

You can always buy a pair of the Aperion bookshelf speakers, to test the
sound signature, if you do not like them, then sent them back.That would
be easier than sending towers back.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #18 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
addictaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

At the present, I am not a fan of B&W - however, they are popular.
I would narrow your list to 3 brands, the ones that draw your interest the most.
The word on the Aperion from some forum members, is that they are some-
what lacking, in the midrange and highs for detail and definition. I have not
listened to them.
You can always buy a pair of the Aperion bookshelf speakers, to test the
sound signature, if you do not like them, then sent them back.That would
be easier than sending towers back.

I know that you are attempting to be impartial:) I see you posting on the Forums quite a bit. You appear to like the MA set-up, and not sure about Aperion. What other two set-ups would you compare to the afformentioned MA set-up that I am considering, given my description on the 1st post?
addictaudio is offline  
post #19 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,272
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

I know that you are attempting to be impartial:) I see you posting on the Forums quite a bit. You appear to like the MA set-up, and not sure about Aperion. What other two set-ups would you compare to the afformentioned MA set-up that I am considering, given my description on the 1st post?

Some speakers that have good detail, may be considered bright by some.
I do not like bright (sharp and edgy) - however, I do like detail and definition.

Boston VS336, which would be a lot of speaker for your room
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSVS336PF/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-VS336PF-VS-Series-3-Way-6-1/2-in-Tower-Speaker-Cherry-Ea/1.html

http://ap.bostonacoustics.com/-VS-336-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker-P239.aspx

Focal Chorus speakers > smooth - however, open with good detail and definition.

And, I do like Monitor Audio.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #20 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
addictaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Some speakers that have good detail, may be considered bright by some.
I do not like bright (sharp and edgy) - however, I do like detail and definition.
Boston VS336, which would be a lot of speaker for your room
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSVS336PF/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-VS336PF-VS-Series-3-Way-6-1/2-in-Tower-Speaker-Cherry-Ea/1.html
http://ap.bostonacoustics.com/-VS-336-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker-P239.aspx
Focal Chorus speakers > smooth - however, open with good detail and definition.
And, I do like Monitor Audio.

Thanks. I had not considered Boston, so I will have to look into it. The specs look good, although the sensitivity is in the low side. I do like bright highs, but detailed and clear as well, so not harsh. I like to listen to Adnrea Bocelli, Phantom of the Opera, Phil Collins, along with some rock as well. Heard good things about Focal as well, just do not see much support and dealer network. Considered Revel and Dynaudio as well, but found the same issues as Focal with dealer and support.
addictaudio is offline  
post #21 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,272
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

Thanks. I had not considered Boston, so I will have to look into it. The specs look good, although the sensitivity is in the low side. I do like bright highs, but detailed and clear as well, so not harsh. I like to listen to Adnrea Bocelli, Phantom of the Opera, Phil Collins, along with some rock as well. Heard good things about Focal as well, just do not see much support and dealer network. Considered Revel and Dynaudio as well, but found the same issues as Focal with dealer and support.

The Boston will handle anything you throw at it >> and they will get
loud in your room and larger ones too, do not under estimate them.
The tweeter has very good detail and definition, the overall resolution
of the speaker is very good. They use to list for $3,400 a pair.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #22 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
addictaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The Boston will handle anything you throw at it >> and they will get
loud in your room and larger ones too, do not under estimate them.
The tweeter has very good detail and definition, the overall resolution
of the speaker is very good. They use to list for $3,400 a pair.

Thanks. I am only looking at new ones though, as I have never been a big fan of refurbs.
addictaudio is offline  
post #23 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
addictaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since I have limited knowledge from an audio engineering point of view, by reviewing the specifications below between the MA Silver RX8 and Aperion Grand tower, by reviewing the frequency response, does it appear like the MA digs deeper lower in the midrange/midbass (even with less drivers) and achieves a higher frequency response with the tweeter for a brighter sound up high? But the sensitivity is higher on the Aperion, so does this mean that it is easier to driver and play louder with less amplification?

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/silver-rx/rx8/#/specification

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/verus-family/verus-grand-tower-speaker
addictaudio is offline  
post #24 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The Boston will handle anything you throw at it >> and they will get
loud in your room and larger ones too, do not under estimate them.
The tweeter has very good detail and definition, the overall resolution
of the speaker is very good. They use to list for $3,400 a pair.

The Boston tweeter seems to be a variant of this (or perhaps the same thing):
http://meniscusaudio.com/sb-sb29rdnc-p-1049.html

And there are some very well respected DIY designers (Paul Carmody and Jeff Bagby come to mind) that have used that tweeter (or the non-neo magnet version) in some highly regarded builds. Zaph measured it and also had good things to say about it. My point is, while Boston has it's own way of marketing it, the design is tried and true and performs very well.

And I'll agree with Jim since I've heard the Boston's... they do have very good resolution... to a fault if your source material is crappy. But when you hear well recorded music or watch a blu-ray with a top-notch audio track.... man they sound nice. Certainly worth consideration.
alphaiii is online now  
post #25 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Superman07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm still in the early phases of buying/auditioning as well. I went to a local dealer and tried out brands I had not really considered - B&W and Focal mainly. I didn't test the MA Silver because they didn't do anything for me, and rep said GX was more than I was looking for (although I may revisit that point).

I found the B&W CM series lacking. They weren't bad, but just didn't pop. I was however really impressed with Focal Chorus 800s. They had excellent mid and top range which you indicated are important to you. They cost more than the CMs; perhaps you could look at the Focal Chorus 700 line? I don't know if they are authorized, but somebody pointed me towards Accessories for Less on the 700s.

Hope that helps.
Superman07 is offline  
post #26 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,272
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

Since I have limited knowledge from an audio engineering point of view, by reviewing the specifications below between the MA Silver RX8 and Aperion Grand tower, by reviewing the frequency response, does it appear like the MA digs deeper lower in the midrange/midbass (even with less drivers) and achieves a higher frequency response with the tweeter for a brighter sound up high? But the sensitivity is higher on the Aperion, so does this mean that it is easier to driver and play louder with less amplification?
http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/silver-rx/rx8/#/specification
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/verus-family/verus-grand-tower-speaker

I do not pay a lot of attention to specs - it is the overall performace as a whole that counts.

As far as Monitor Audio, the RX6 tower would be my preference. I know that you are looking
at big ones. The bass tends to be more tight and controlled with a better balanced midrange.

The midrange of the RX8 tends to be more lacking, and measures that way - and the bass
can get in the way. Some reviews have confirmed this.

I understand your buying preference - however, the Boston is still my #1 choice.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #27 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
addictaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post

I'm still in the early phases of buying/auditioning as well. I went to a local dealer and tried out brands I had not really considered - B&W and Focal mainly. I didn't test the MA Silver because they didn't do anything for me, and rep said GX was more than I was looking for (although I may revisit that point).
I found the B&W CM series lacking. They weren't bad, but just didn't pop. I was however really impressed with Focal Chorus 800s. They had excellent mid and top range which you indicated are important to you. They cost more than the CMs; perhaps you could look at the Focal Chorus 700 line? I don't know if they are authorized, but somebody pointed me towards Accessories for Less on the 700s.
Hope that helps.

Thanks. I was not to happy with some dealings that I had with some Focal reps and distributors, so they are out. Terrible customer service. What do you mean when you say that you did not audition the MA Silver Series, because they did not do anything for you? Are you relating to the looks of the speaker, as you did not audition them? Yes, the Gold series are more than triple the cost when compared to the comparable Silver model. I think that with the B&W CM series it is a hit or miss? Some people love them, while others do not care for them at all. I have not seen any "in between's:, LOL:)
addictaudio is offline  
post #28 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
addictaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

I do not pay a lot of attention to specs - it is the overall performace as a whole that counts.
As far as Monitor Audio, the RX6 tower would be my preference. I know that you are looking
at big ones. The bass tends to be more tight and controlled with a better balanced midrange.
The midrange of the RX8 tends to be more lacking, and measures that way - and the bass
can get in the way.
I understand your buying preference - however, the Boston is still my #1 choice.

Can the bass/midrange issues that you describe with the RX8 be corrected with the Denon's 4311n XT32 crossover settings along with the speaker/subwoofer settings, or is what you describe a characteristic of the speaker in itself? I have an SVS PB 12 Plus 2 subwoofer.
addictaudio is offline  
post #29 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
addictaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Found the following video of the MA RX8's on Youtube. These things are distorting like crazy and sound horrible in this video? Is he playing it too loud? It appears like the woofers are going to jump out of the enclosure with no control whatsoever. Granted that he is only powering them with a Denon 2311.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO4GLQAuSJ4
addictaudio is offline  
post #30 of 50 Old 10-16-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

Found the following video of the MA RX8's on Youtube. These things are distorting like crazy and sound horrible in this video? Is he playing it too loud? It appears like the woofers are going to jump out of the enclosure with no control whatsoever. Granted that he is only powering them with a Denon 2311.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO4GLQAuSJ4

Never use a youtube video to gauge anything about the actual sound of a speaker. They may sound just fine - no distortion - and whatever he recorded the video with may be the culprit for what you hear when you play the video.

It does look like he's giving the woofers a ridiculous workout though. Never understood the whole "I'm going to crank my speakers insanely loud then post of horrible video of it on youtube" thing.
BacHolz likes this.
alphaiii is online now  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off