Energy RC-10 vs Cambridge Audio s30 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been looking to get a nice set of bookshelf speakers for my bedroom system to replace my polk monitor 30s, and for the same price point of around 200$ I can't seem to decide between the two. These will mainly be used for near field listening however I can change my setup if necessary. I will have them hooked up to a Denon DRA-37 stereo receiver, and listen to just about all kinds of music with the exception of heavy rock/metal.

There is no replacement for displacement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 979
fwiw, i've had experience with both speakers and actually still own the s-30's( got them for $99 open box at audioadvisor a few years ago ) but for same price i'd lean more toward the rc-10's( better bass extention and better high end especially when playing at high volumes).dont get me wrong the s-30's are a great little speaker for its budget.

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #3 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 07:31 AM

Liked: 19
I've owned both. Kept the RC10's and sold the S30's.
post #4 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm with the other two here...

I owned the RC-10's for almost 3 years... and I've had the S30 in my home on 2 different occasions to demo for a few weeks each time... and I sent them back both times (in all fairness, the 2nd time was to try out as desktop speakers, and not to compare with the RC-10 in my main room).

The S30's are nice though, and would suit someone that prefers something that has more upper midrange and lower treble emphasis... The RC-10 has more emphasis in the midrange and low end, and has a more laid back, warmer overall sound. That said, I think it also has a better tweeter - more detailed, but less edgy. I do think the S30's bass, while not as extended, is a bit cleaner/tighter.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I was so set on the s30 until I saw the rc-10 for the same price and figured I would ask around. Looks like I will be picking up a pair this week or early next week. Also Alphaiii you mentioned the rc-10 are more laid back, are they still going to have better/more detail than the polk monitor 30s I'm using right now ? Because that is my main reason for upgrading is because after listening around I found the polks to be lacking the detail of these other speakers.

post #6 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Even the S30 will out perform the Polk Monitor with good detail, and more tight
and controlled bass - and is easier on the ears.

The Energy RC10 should be good for you >> I have only owned the C-1 Energy
speakers, and I much prefer the S30 over them.

Good Luck and have fun.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #7 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome, one last question, since these are going to be on a desk would you recommend putting them on something to raise them up to ear level and if so what to put them on ?

post #8 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 71
This is what I used. It works excellent. Aims the tweeters right at your ears when sitting down and minimizes any reflections of the desk.

http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/26260
post #9 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie59 View Post

Awesome, one last question, since these are going to be on a desk would you recommend putting them on something to raise them up to ear level and if so what to put them on ?

If you're sitting down at your desk wouldn't the tweeter be close to early level already? I guess it depends how high your desk is...Maybe I have a high desk?

I actually have old Energy Encore bookshelf speakers at my home office desk. But they're on a shelf 21" above the desk. Love them up there.

Afro GT
post #10 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also Alphaiii you mentioned the rc-10 are more laid back, are they still going to have better/more detail than the polk monitor 30s I'm using right now ? Because that is my main reason for upgrading is because after listening around I found the polks to be lacking the detail of these other speakers.

I've only briefly listened to Polk's entry level speakers at Best Buy (I think they were the Tsi series)... and I don't remember much about them.

By laid back, I just mean the RC-10's highs aren't agressive or in your face... It's really that the lower midrange and bass are a little emphasized relative to the upper end of the spectrum... so it's gives an overall laid back sound... but the tweeter is still detailed/extended.
post #11 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 353
The RC-10s sound way better than the Polk Monito 30. The tweeter on the Monitor 30 can be bright to the point of annoying. Not Klipsch bright but still pretty bright.

Afro GT
post #12 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

In a desktop setting, raising the speaker isn't just about tweeter height, but also to get the woofer away from the surface of the desk and limit the reflections off that surface. Ideally, raising them would accomplish both.

If you don't want to build your own stands to raise the speakers... and the Dynaudio stands are too pricey, some folks seem to like the Auralex Mopads/SpeakerDudes (and other similar products) to raise them a little and angle them upward.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I figured raising them would kill two birds with one stone, both the reflections and the tweeter height. And I have some of my power tools with me at my college apartment so building a small set of stands shouldn't be a problem and if they don't turn out good I can always buy the Mopads or speaker dudes . And afrogt, I never thought of the monitor 30s as bright, but maybe I just don't fully understand what bright sounds like since my main system is all the polk monitor series haha.

post #14 of 15 Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:

Yeah I figured raising them would kill two birds with one stone, both the reflections and the tweeter height. And I have some of my power tools with me at my college apartment so building a small set of stands shouldn't be a problem and if they don't turn out good I can always buy the Mopads or speaker dudes . And afrogt, I never thought of the monitor 30s as bright, but maybe I just don't fully understand what bright sounds like since my main system is all the polk monitor series haha.

First, just try books. That's what I use with the RC-10s in a desktop setup. Very stable as long as you only need to raise them 6 or 8 inches or so (and you have big enough books). Then you could get a feel for what height seems best before building some stands.

post #15 of 15 Old 10-20-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I'm sure I can find enough textbooks in my apartment to try that.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio Bookshelf Speakers S30

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page