Polk vs. Klipsch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 10-20-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm upgrading from my old satellite surround to my first full-sized speakers and looking for advice. I just built my home theater and everything is new except for the speakers, which come next. I've been looking to get into some solid entry level speakers and watching the sales. I was sort of targeting Polk Monitor 70 mains and CS2 center, and then build out the rest of the surround system from there. I see them for a pretty good price at NewEgg this weekend:

This looks like a pretty solid setup for my modest requirements. My theater room is about 10 ft. x 20 ft.

Today I also see that NewEgg has some Klipsch speakers on sale:

These Klipsch models appear to be custom SKUs for NewEgg, so I can't compare them directly with the rest of the Klipsch product line. So my question is, does anyone here have any experience with these Klipsch models? How do they compare to the Polk Monitor 70s? The Klipsch are a little more expensive, but not so much that I couldn't swing it, if the performance difference warrants it.

Any thoughts you might have between these two setups as a starting point for my new surround system would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

<<<< Clay >>>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-20-2012, 12:56 PM

Liked: 13
The WF-35 / WC-24 combo is what I'm currently running and have no regrets. I haven't heard the polks on newegg but my coworker has a set of towers and center from about 5 years ago and the difference is enough for me. Combine with the absolutely amazing cabinets and very high sensitivity associated with the Klipsch it was an easy choice for me. The Icon W model is discontinued on the Klipsch site because the model clashed with their reference line and they didn't want to sell both (from what I've read). Good luck either way.
post #3 of 23 Old 10-20-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
In the spirit of full disclosure I am a Klipsch owner.
IMO the only reason to consider the Polk speakers over the Klipsch would be a 100% price difference between the two.
Even then the only advantage the Polk would have would be price.
To my ear the Klipsch are all around better.
Better sub, better clarity, better sound stage, easier to listen to at high volume.

Regards,
Charlie

post #4 of 23 Old 10-20-2012, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I have been a Klipsch owner too but the Klipsch model you mentioned are much lower than the Reference series.

If you are coming from tiny satellites, then you may be impressed but there is nothing SOLID about any of those speakers/subs.

If I were you, I would build a system slowly and go with the Klipsch reference series. Ditch Polk, Infinity etc which are just cheap brick & mortar brands.

First get the front 3 and a sub and then the rest. RW-12D is ok for the money but again nothing very impressive.

RF-62 for fronts, RC-62 center and the add the rest as you get funds. That would be a good upgrade and would last for many years.
post #5 of 23 Old 10-21-2012, 08:29 AM

Why do people keep saying the Icon Ws are much lower than the reference? They're not the Icon Vs you hear at best buy. I got to audition the RF-52s at a local stereo shop and would call it a toss up vs the WF-35s? Maybe I'm stuck in the buyers remorse mode but for the exact same price as the RF-52s at newegg I'd pick the WF-35s again in a heartbeat.
post #6 of 23 Old 10-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Polk has been making great affordable speakers forever. They have done an excellent job with price / performance ratio. You get a lot for your money and they are a good double duty speaker meaning they play both home theater and music reproduction well. I like polk for many reasons and can't think of to many rooms that I could not outfit a really nice Polk system in.

Klipsch are also a very old and have been doing it a long time. They are one hell of a speaker company. They make some of the best theater speakers I have ever heard. Such clarity and detail not to mention dynamic range is off the charts. They excel in these areas. The only thing about Klipsch speakers is if you don't like bright forward speakers , these will not be for you. They are in your face and forcefully doing so. This is not a negative thing , they replay sound pretty accurately. They are however aggressive but for theater this is a truly excellent thing. Music playback can and is very fun. Long listening for those who are sensitive to bright sound could get fatigued . I for one love Klipsch and think I could also outfit many room with there speakers and make for a killer system.

I would probably go Klipsch in most vs matches with Polk. Only because I enjoy there theater reproduction so much. The dynamic range is awesome and not many others can even come close to matching them.
I strongly suggest finding a way to listen to them. They are remarkable and need to be heard.
post #7 of 23 Old 10-21-2012, 09:11 AM

Liked: 801
^^^ +1 ^^^

FWIW, I came from Polk Audio to Klipsch, Epic, CF-3's. I like the forward nature of horns; where the sound comes and finds the listener as opposed to the listener having to find the sound. I find if the Klipsch mains are toed out a couple of inches (no focused sound stage), the listener looses that in your face quality and the sound becomes natural and airy like the omni-directional sound quality one hears when sitting center-center in a performing arts theater listening to an orchestral concert. In other words, the sound stage opens up wide. Very nice.

The sensitivity of the Klipsch horns is also a home theater plus in that due to the higher sensitivity of Klipsch horns, when one wants to, it's much easier to achieve movie theater, THX reference levels in the home.
post #8 of 23 Old 10-21-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I little manual EQ will tame the pronounced mids of the Klipsch speakers which makes them sound more forward.

For movies I use Ausyssey (Denon 3310) but for music, I prefer a more laid back sound and at the same time I want it loud. Manual EQ will get me there. Even though I lose a lot of db (volume) as I am cutting down some frequencies as mush as 4 db, I can still play at high volume due to the high sensitivity. I can listen for a long time at high volume with manual EQ as the laid back sound is not fatiguing. I cant stand the forward sound for music even for a short time at high volumes. BTW I use a sub for 2ch music also and use Antomode 8033 to EQ the sub.

I had speakers like B&W 602 S2, PSB T65, Magnepan MG12 which are more laid back. But I just could not play them very loud with the AVR as a pre-pro as the pre-out voltage in the AVR's is just not high enough to get full power from my amp (Rotel RB-1080) or any amp. I have tried Emotiva USP-1 analog pre-amp. Emotiva claims a max of 9V but I doubt if it gives that high a voltage. It is an unverified claim, always with some caveat.

When I listened to the Magnepan's at the dealer store, they were driving it using a tube amp. He said the tube amp only delivers some 15W! But I was able to drive the same Magnepans to a much higher volume. I have to go back to that store and review my options for 2ch music.

Polk, Pioneer, Infinity etc are ok. They are affordable speakers but nothing impressive about their sound. They are budget speakers and that's it..

I am not a big fan of the Klipsch Icon series nor buying speakers online without hearing. I have used the Reference series RC-62, RB81, RF-82. I sold them and now I have the older Klipsch KG series (KG 3.2, 4.2, 4.5, 5.2). Yes I have 1 pair of all of them and I find them smoother than the Reference series. I only bought them for a couple of $100/pair but they are a great value for the money. I wish Klipsch made those again. They may have the slender look of the Reference series and so may not have the WAF. But I dont care. You can see the KG3.2 in my avatar.

Klipch KG3.2 (I did some refinishing and also made that stand myself)

This big guy is the Kipsch KG 5.2. No Polk or Pioneer or Infinity or Energy can beat this guy or even the smaller KG3.2. You will be amazed how much bass you get even from the smaller KG3.2. They dont make speakers like them anymore. If you want good speakers but not used, get the Reference series. I suggest RF-62 or RF-82, RC-62. Call sounddistributors or acoustic sound design

post #9 of 23 Old 10-21-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Another great speaker is the Klipsch KLF-C7, center channel with 2 8" woofers and a horn tweeter. They go for over $300+shipping at eBay if they are in mint condition. I also have the KLF-C7. When I said that the KLF-C7 beats the RC-62 at the Klipsch thread, that pissed off many. But none of them had heard both the RC-62 and KLF-C7 in the same room. The reason why the KLF-C7 still goes for at least $300 is because it is that good. Again, they don't make center channel speakers like that anymore that are affordable buy yet have superior sound quality. Audyssey sets it as full range! Sure there is the RC-64 but it is also some $1200! Paradigm also has a big center channel. It is also over $1000. Def Tech CLR 20002, 2000, 3000 are also very affordable center speakers. You cant find them frequently. They have been replaced with more expensive models. HIFi Heaven sometimes has them for sale. May be not anymore as the stock probably all gone by now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-KLF-C7-Center-Channel-Speaker-Audiophile-/320974411602?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item4abb90d752
post #10 of 23 Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for a lively and informative discussion. Although I'm getting an itchy trigger finger, Black Friday is only a few weeks away, so I think that I'll keep shopping. I'm leaning toward the Kipsch and will look for any deals that may come up on their Reference series. Meanwhile, I'll watch my local CraigsList to see what people might be selling and see if I can listen to a few systems. Just about any entry level speaker system is likely to sound wonderful compared to my current satellite system, but I do want to make sure that I get something that will continue to satisfy for years to come (if that is possible eek.gif).
post #11 of 23 Old 10-29-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, another week, another sale biggrin.gif. This time the Polk RTi12 speakers are on sale at Fry's for $300 each. These look pretty big and heavy, but seem to have pretty high ratings. Anyone here have any experience with these? How do the compare to Klipsch Reference series in the same price range?

Thanks!

<<<< Clay >>>>
post #12 of 23 Old 10-29-2012, 11:12 AM

Liked: 12
I suppose it's good you stepped away from the Monitor 70's, as the Series II is history and was just replaced with virtually the same speaker under a new name (75T) for twice the price. For what it's worth, I acquired a pair of Monitor 70's, 60's, 40's, 30's, and a CS2 for $883 shipped and they've worked out very nicely in a 9.1 system.
post #13 of 23 Old 10-29-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGcollector View Post

I suppose it's good you stepped away from the Monitor 70's, as the Series II is history and was just replaced with virtually the same speaker under a new name (75T) for twice the price. For what it's worth, I acquired a pair of Monitor 70's, 60's, 40's, 30's, and a CS2 for $883 shipped and they've worked out very nicely in a 9.1 system.
Wow! They are killing off the Monitor Series II already? I thought they have only been out for a couple of years so far. Any idea what happened to them?
post #14 of 23 Old 10-29-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 790
The series ii monitors are not history. They are still listed as current models on polks
site, newegg still carries the full model range (out of stock on the 70's at the moment). The new monitors are just that, New, they are a weird combo of the series ii' s and tsi's. all indications from Polk as far as I can tell is that they will be selling 3 lines of almost identical speakers lines for the moment.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #15 of 23 Old 11-06-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

The series ii monitors are not history. They are still listed as current models on polks
site, newegg still carries the full model range (out of stock on the 70's at the moment). The new monitors are just that, New, they are a weird combo of the series ii' s and tsi's. all indications from Polk as far as I can tell is that they will be selling 3 lines of almost identical speakers lines for the moment.

The Polk Monitor Series II speakers ARE history according to the CS rep at Newegg I spoke to two weeks ago. What's left of the Series II speakers in stock are apparently being sold off and not restocked. They are discontinued, and have be replaced by the new 75, 45, etc models. Polk's website is just slow at updating, as usual. The new series uses the EXACT same drivers as the Series II line, but slightly different cabinets. Polk claims better bass response with the new series, but the primary difference between the two are aesthetics.
post #16 of 23 Old 11-06-2012, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:

Quote:

The Polk Monitor Series II speakers ARE history according to the CS rep at Newegg I spoke to two weeks ago. What's left of the Series II speakers in stock are apparently being sold off and not restocked. They are discontinued, and have be replaced by the new 75, 45, etc models. Polk's website is just slow at updating, as usual. The new series uses the EXACT same drivers as the Series II line, but slightly different cabinets. Polk claims better bass response with the new series, but the primary difference between the two are aesthetics.

Interesting....I have seen the black monitor 70s be restocked on neweggs website at least once since the New Monitors were released. I sent an email to Polk to see if I can get their side of the story.

Also of interest, the series ii monitors have been around since what 2008 or 9 or so, and it wasn't until the recent redesign of Polks website that they were added as being current models. Prior to the redesign you had to look under the vintage or discontinued section of their site for monitor series info. Could just be polk being slow on updates to their site. Also the New Monitors use the same drivers as the TSI's...I wonder if they may going away as well....in any case though, I am sure you could purchase monitor series ii's for some time going forward through newegg, amazon or polk direct, afterall other supposedly discontinued models from polk are still readily available years after they were discontinued (psw505, rti12 are two examples off the top of my head).

Also I am not sure where the "double the price" thing came from regarding the cost difference between the series ii's and the new monitors. Polks website lists the same msrp prices for both models, and current newegg non sale pricing as of this post lists the monitor 70 at $249.99 and the 75T at 319.99...hardly double.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #17 of 23 Old 11-07-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:

Interesting....I have seen the black monitor 70s be restocked on neweggs website at least once since the New Monitors were released. I sent an email to Polk to see if I can get their side of the story.
Also of interest, the series ii monitors have been around since what 2008 or 9 or so, and it wasn't until the recent redesign of Polks website that they were added as being current models. Prior to the redesign you had to look under the vintage or discontinued section of their site for monitor series info. Could just be polk being slow on updates to their site. Also the New Monitors use the same drivers as the TSI's...I wonder if they may going away as well....in any case though, I am sure you could purchase monitor series ii's for some time going forward through newegg, amazon or polk direct, afterall other supposedly discontinued models from polk are still readily available years after they were discontinued (psw505, rti12 are two examples off the top of my head).
Also I am not sure where the "double the price" thing came from regarding the cost difference between the series ii's and the new monitors. Polks website lists the same msrp prices for both models, and current newegg non sale pricing as of this post lists the monitor 70 at $249.99 and the 75T at 319.99...hardly double.

I also noticed in the last week that the black Monitor 70 Series II went from this tag:

. . . to magically back in stock for the outrageous sum of $250 each! I was considering buying an additional pair of Monitor 70's last month when I saw the "DISCONTINUED" label and promptly went slack-jaw and called Newegg. At this point I'm going to take the rep's word for them being canned and assume Newegg got an unexpected final shipment from Polk. As far as the 75T being double the price of what the 70's were previously going for, they are! Throughout the last 6 months, Newegg has regularly discounted the 70's to $159 each. (which I got in on at one point, see below) MSRP is irrelevant, and anyone willing to pay $250 each for the 70's is either ignorant or a fool.

. . . like I said before, DOUBLE. In time, I'm sure the 75T's will be occasionally discounted, but I sincerely doubt they'll ever meet the 70's past pricing. (and they're virtually the same speaker)
post #18 of 23 Old 11-07-2012, 05:29 PM

Newegg sales come and go like the wind. The monitor series 2 and Klipsch Icon W have been on there for quite a long time and may be there for quite a bit more considering.
post #19 of 23 Old 11-09-2012, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Newegg.com has the Polk Audio Monitor 70 series on sale for $149.99 each with promo code: EMCJJNA54. I just ordered two of them like 15 min. ago. I was going to go with the Pioneer FS52, and 22 for the front, but I like the sound of the Polks better.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #20 of 23 Old 11-09-2012, 08:45 AM

Now that's a fair price! I haven't seen them that low since last January.
post #21 of 23 Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 AM

OP, what did you end up going with?

FYI: they may have been gone for a while at this point, but I just noticed that Newegg has finally blown out all of their remaining discontinued 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's. Anyone that didn't get in on the Series II's are now stuck with the jacked up prices of the new series.
post #22 of 23 Old 02-15-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

OP, what did you end up going with?

FYI: they may have been gone for a while at this point, but I just noticed that Newegg has finally blown out all of their remaining discontinued 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's. Anyone that didn't get in on the Series II's are now stuck with the jacked up prices of the new series.
Give it time they will go on sale again
post #23 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Give it time they will go on sale again

Eventually the prices will come down some on the new series, but I doubt they'll ever reach the value of the Series II line.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page