AVS Forum banner

Advise for a newbie

4K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  Bond 007 
#1 ·
Hello All - I am new to this forum and wanted to seek some advise. I have decided to invest in a Home theater system. On reading through the threads and other articles, I have decided not to go the HTIB way but rather build a set with best of breed speakers + receiver. I live in an apartment and have a a 50 inch Plasma TV. I am interested in a 5.1 configuration. At the present time, I am interested in buying the speakers and sub-woofer without breaking the bank. The budget is $250 - $300. I could go higher but prefer not to. When researching I came across the following options.

Home Theater speakers

1. Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System (Set of Six, Black) - $399 at Amazon

2. Polk Audio RM6750 Black 5.1CH Home Theater Speaker System - $179 at Newegg

3. Polk Audio RM705 5.1 Home Theater System (Set of Six, Black) - $250 at Amazon

4. Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 5.1CH Home Audio Speaker System - $230 at Newegg

5. Boston Acoustics SNDWRESHTSB Compact Home Theater System - High Gloss Finish (Black) - $ 300 at Amazon

The two HTIB options if I had to consider are:

1. Denon DHT-1312BA A/V Home Theater Receiver with Boston Acoustics MCS 160 5.1 Surround Speaker System - $440 at Amazon

2. Denon DHT-1513BA Total 650 Watt 5.1 Channel Home Theater System with Boston Acoustics Premium Speaker System - $600 at Amazon

I had personally prefer the Energy 5.1 but at $399 I feel the price is above what I had be comfortable paying. Based on the above, can someone advise what would be a reasonable option for me? The RM6750 does look tempting at the price range above but I read a few threads where they mentioned the sub-woofer may not give what you expect. Also, can someone also suggest if the HTIB options above can be considered. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller  /t/1434950/advise-for-a-newbie#post_22514977

Thank you. Before i jump in, one question. Whats your take on Jamo s 426 hcs 3? Its on sale at Amazon for $170 without subwoofer and has great reviews.

I have no comment on the Jamo - also it is easy to find good reviews on

all types of speakers, with places like Amazon >> For me, the Pioneer is

something special and a rare find >> and I have owned, and listened to

a lot of speakers.

#29 ·
I'm relatively a newbie and I'm looking to buy a 5.1 system for myself - I live in an Apt so space is a constraint for me right now (and I don't see getting into a house etc for next few years). I came across this MLT-2 5.1 system for 250.00 from Newegg and I think this is a great price. Prior to this, I was leaning to Energy Take Classic or Monoprice speakers (but Monoprice is OOS for 2-3 months), so will this MLT-2 be a good option over Energy Take Classic or Monoprice?

My more important question is - what is the best pair for MLT-2 - Onkyo or Pioneer or Denon and which model? Any suggestion is as always highly appreciated...

#30 ·
Hello - After using the MLT2 for the last 8 months or so, I can say that I am extremely pleased. I also live in an apartmemt and the sound quality is awesome. I got the MLT 2 and a Yamaha 373 receiver for $200 and for approximately $500 I can say I have a really nice set up. The speakers look beautiful as well. If you are getting it for $250, i would grab it if i were you.

#31 ·
 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049P2000/ref=pe_54710_29386180_email_1p_8_ti

The Energy Takes are alright speakers but the sub that comes with them is weak at best. Not worth $399. When they were selling for $250 it was a good deal if you didnt mind the anemic sub.

The sub that comes with the mlt2 system is much better and the speakers are just as good imo. Read the Amazon reviews and you can see how many people are happy with them.

Practically any avr would be fine with the mlt2 system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.