Auditioning Speakers at "The Speaker Shop" Buffalo Ny (and why i will never go there again) and my unexpected but great time at BestBuy Magnolia - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have deleted my original post due to a much more respectable attitude the stereo shop in Buffalo has presented me with. I don't want to spoil their reputation because of one bad apple.
They have the best selection of speakers, amps, headphones, etc that I have seen so far.
Barrok likes this.

Last edited by bthrb4u; 02-27-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 10-21-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
tl;dr

But yes, the attitude of the people in the stores is part of the reason the shops are all going out of business.
post #3 of 42 Old 10-21-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #4 of 42 Old 10-21-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

to long didn't read? k.....
post #5 of 42 Old 10-21-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Not defending the store based on your customer service experience (because it was really poor), but I suspect part of the problem is that people are using smaller audio stores, and even places like Best Buy, to demo speakers and then buy them online or from a cheaper dealer. I have read that Best Buy is struggling and one reason is that people use it as a showroom to buy their product from Amazon, etc.
post #6 of 42 Old 10-21-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I see where you are coming from but i promised them that i would buy from them. I would never buy the high end stuff they have anywhere but from an authorized dealer. Not to mention the fact they took the time to show me what they had. I really wanted the KEF R series and i don't think you can get them or the triton's from anywhere but an authorized dealer.
Also, people must not know that little stores like that can budge on retail and usually give you a really good hook up if you buy everything from there.
post #7 of 42 Old 10-21-2012, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have purchased from that store B&W 804 with 20% off, couple Rotel receivers/ amps etc. and always had a very good service, pricing is very good as well.
Sorry to hear what u went through but I thought I'll share my expeareance.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 2

EluneVision 106" Reference Studio 4K Tab-tensioned - 1.0 Gain, Benq 1070, psb T6, Rotel, OPPO, Velodine (Now),
135" AT screen, JVC-X35, 3x RF82, 3x Emotiva XPA100, Velodine, Rotel, OPPO (Sold with house).
post #8 of 42 Old 10-21-2012, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

tl;dr
But yes, the attitude of the people in the stores is part of the reason the shops are all going out of business.

Having been a small business owner who's recently retired, I learned quickly that without customer's, I don't have a business. It's all about the customer. While contemporary society encourages attitude, my bumper sticker would read; "No Attitude."
post #9 of 42 Old 10-21-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I didn't say they treated every one poorly. Maybe i put myself into a situation by going there and not buying something right off the bat but i did not know my limitations. If i had known i was pushing boundaries then i would have not wasted anymore of their time. I feel i would have been treated differently if they had known that my credit card in my back pocket was ready to check out at any time, had i found what i wanted. I just like to think about things a little before i buy them. Especially something as high priced as the speakers that i have my eyes set on.
What gets me is that he couldn't comprehend what i was going through. I mean he could have made things a little more simple for me by telling what could make things more simple for me. I have yet to find a guide for how to go into a speaker shop and just know everything right off the bat. To me, there is a lot to take in. Especially with all the controversy about different things like how some amps make some speakers sound different. I post on another thread about what i had read and some guy is telling me that every amp sounds the same and that it is proven by doing volume matching and that i need to learn from him. Is it true? I don't think so. I understand that an amp isn't going to make one part of the speaker stand out more than others but that's not what i was getting at. It's called voicing i believe. Just like the cm9's being sweet and thick the way they are, i believe there are some amps that could make them sound a little more dry. Am i wrong? Are tube amps pointless? I believe that's what he's getting at
post #10 of 42 Old 10-22-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post

I see where you are coming from but i promised them that i would buy from them. I would never buy the high end stuff they have anywhere but from an authorized dealer. Not to mention the fact they took the time to show me what they had. I really wanted the KEF R series and i don't think you can get them or the triton's from anywhere but an authorized dealer.
Also, people must not know that little stores like that can budge on retail and usually give you a really good hook up if you buy everything from there.

I think you're right about the KEF R series. I don't think you can buy them online or if you can, they aren't discounted much, if at all.

Sorry to hear about the bad salesman. I would have just found someone else to help. He knows a lot of people only go there to demo, so if he doesn't like it, why not go into another profession?
post #11 of 42 Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Having been a small business owner who's recently retired, I learned quickly that without customer's, I don't have a business. It's all about the customer. While contemporary society encourages attitude, my bumper sticker would read; "No Attitude."
Having been a retail chain manager for 20 plus years I saw the other side of the coin as well, the salesperson's equivalent of the 'three date rule'. There are what's referred to as 'professional tire kickers', people who incessantly shop but never buy. After you've spent three sessions with one of them to see them walk out the door empty handed again you're loath to waste any more time on them the next time they show up in the store.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #12 of 42 Old 10-22-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Having been a retail chain manager for 20 plus years I saw the other side of the coin as well, the salesperson's equivalent of the 'three date rule'. There are what's referred to as 'professional tire kickers', people who incessantly shop but never buy. After you've spent three sessions with one of them to see them walk out the door empty handed again you're loath to waste any more time on them the next time they show up in the store.

(PM response sent.)

The fourth time they show up in the store, the sales person should be fast friends (relationship building) and the customer knows this as their resistance to buying becomes weaker and weaker. They know they've incurred buying obligations and they know that eventually, they have to buy. Even the most pathological among us understands this unspoken contract of obligation.

"Hey, John! How's it going? You've been here enough, look around, you know where the brochures are and if there's anything you want to buy, let me know."

-
bthrb4u likes this.
post #13 of 42 Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

totally understand the three date rule. I told them with all honesty i would be there at income tax for sure to buy the speakers i chose for sure. I don't live anywhere near there in fact an hour and forty five minutes away which they knew so it's not like i was there three days in a row bugging them. I just stopped by when i happened to be there
post #14 of 42 Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post

totally understand the three date rule. I told them with all honesty i would be there at income tax for sure to buy the speakers i chose for sure. I don't live anywhere near there in fact an hour and forty five minutes away which they knew so it's not like i was there three days in a row bugging them. I just stopped by when i happened to be there

If they aren't willing to wait to get your money, you may find customer service, after the fact, to be even less customer friendly. Remember, you're an hour and a half away from that store and if you have any troubles, customer service is going be difficult to find.

Just saying, based on personal experience, I find many businesses are quick to let you in to spend your money but their attitude flips, the moment they have your money. You may find the sales person did you a good service by driving you away from their store. Something that I've observed, stores that have terrible customer service, eight out of ten times, are out of business within three years. This applies to both big box and mom-n-pop stores as without customers, nobody has a business.
post #15 of 42 Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 AM

Liked: 11
Repeat visits for audio are very common.
post #16 of 42 Old 10-24-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I asked the salesman, like this, " so people come in here and just hear one system and buy the speakers and everything it's hooked up to without doing any researching or trying to get away with cheaper alternatives often?" He said "yes, generally that's how it works" like i was an idiot for not being the same way
post #17 of 42 Old 10-24-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Wow, these guys sound like a bunch of jerks! I would have been p-o'd!
post #18 of 42 Old 01-20-2013, 01:39 PM

Liked: 10
I visited the store a few times many years ago. Right after the first Sumiko Bluepoint special review came out in Stereophile, I thought I would buy one. The cartridge sold for $99 at the time which was notable, especially given the absolute rave review. They told me they sold the cartridge, but the price had gone up to $175. I didn't buy. I checked and the price had NOT gone up! It remained at $99 for many months after that point.

Another time I visited, I inquired with a young artsy kid about some analogue accessory. This kid could not have been more pretentious and affected and informed me that he didn't think they carried anything of that "genre." I almost laughed in his face over his use of the word and then left.
post #19 of 42 Old 01-20-2013, 05:51 PM

Check this out...Had a very similar encounter. I went to a small audio store and wanted to demo a few speakers and I asked to hear a few different ones, can you hook these up to the same receiver as them, can I play some of my own music(etc) and this guy just got more nasty and rude with me. This is what demo'ing is right? I finally asked him if he was the owner, he said yes, I said "cool", can I listen to one more pair and I will make my decision and buy them today...he walked out and I heard him sigh and say something to another guy about "this guy"(me), he came back and I listened to the other pair and he said, "so which ones are you taking home today"? I said "THIS GUY IS GOING TO BUY THEM RIGHT THERE...only NOT from YOU!!!! I went into telling him how rude and inconsiderate he was, and I will tell everyone I know to NEVER come here!!!! He just laughed. Since then I have bought a few thousand dollars in equipment elsewhere and I know of 3-5 people I talked out of going there.

I hope he does have to close his doors soon. BTW, never were there other customers waiting for service so he had nothing to do anyway!
post #20 of 42 Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
nevermind...
post #21 of 42 Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

I totally agree with this post. If you had purchased from them before and had made some acquaintances that would be one thing but after 3 visits I would consider you a person auditioning speakers and would be thinking you were going to purchase on the internet because that is what the environment is today...You keep mentioning you would "promise to come back and buy" but unless I knew you I would be skeptical--My 2 cents.
post #22 of 42 Old 01-20-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Selling is all attitude.

OP, did you purchase speakers yet?

Espo77
post #23 of 42 Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Selling is all attitude...

I agree with that but as a potential buyer I would be wheeling and dealing with what prices I could find on line.
post #24 of 42 Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 AM

Perhaps, the sales guy could have sucked it up a little better, and not been blatantly rude. But I can also understand that at a certain point, you're continued auditions were really eating up his time. These guys aren't making huge margins on these products, and the sales staff make a slim commission. Perhaps, had you walked into an exclusive custom installer, and were in the market for something in the five-figure range, you might expect them to bend over backwards.

We all do it. I especially. We shop on line, and get spoiled on free shipping and no tax (depending on the state). That's the number one reason the small retailers have gone under. I'm not saying one method of business is bad or good. But considering the extremely lengthy post that describes your adventure, I think that you simply crossed a line, and started to waste the guy's time. Not to question your character, but a promise is worthless, and it's not going to pay his bills, or help when his supervisor asks why he still hasn't sold something to the guy who has come in four+ times.

Sometimes, you have to _ _ _ _ or get off the pot. And I speak from experience there, as I often spend TOO much time deliberating!
post #25 of 42 Old 01-21-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I would still like to know if the OP purchased speakers yet. If he posted that he did purchase, I missed it somehow.
I've been selling on commission for years. I assume that these salesman are also on commission, but it doesn't really matter. I have to admit, I've been that obnoxious salesperson before, and looking back, I'm not very proud of it. It is all about attitude, and enjoying what you do to help people get what they want. As a salesperson, I have to work on lowering the barrier, showing the customer integrity, and realising that I simply cannot sell everyone (and I tell customers that all the time). If I can weed through some of this, I might find out what I need to do to make a sale. The customer starts to trust me.

It sounds like the salesman wanted to "win the battle", and he did, but he also "lost the war". Perhaps at some point after one or two visits, the salesperson could have offered a "special" after hours appointment with the customer to take the time to rearrange equipment and take advantage of some quality time, uninterrupted. The manager could have been on stand by for obvious reasons as well.
If the customer started leaning towards a particular speaker, but wouldn't commit, perhaps offering to deliver a pair to his home for a listening session might have worked. If the salesman delivered them, he could also discover any strengths or weaknesses in the room or equipment, for future sales, and most likely a referral or two.

As salespeople, we all want customers to walk in the door with their checkbook hanging out of their pocket, and "lay down" for us...but...

Espo77
post #26 of 42 Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 PM

Liked: 12
I'll take your advice and never shop there. Hell, I'll never even go to Buffalo. promise!
post #27 of 42 Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 PM

Liked: 12
I'll take your advice and never shop there. Hell, I'll never even go to Buffalo. promise!
post #28 of 42 Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 PM

Liked: 17
Most small audio stores have loads of d-bags.
post #29 of 42 Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes k View Post

Well now...wait a minute. I heard there is a real nice Best Buy Magnolia store up there...they haven't sold any speakers in a good while though...been demoing a lot you know.biggrin.gif

Espo77
post #30 of 42 Old 01-23-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

I would still like to know if the OP purchased speakers yet...

+1 Inquiring minds would like to know--I would also be curious if he's still in the process of deciding and if after 3 visits the BBY/Magnolia folks were still as accommodating on the fourth. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers