Picking up used speakers advice (cerwin-vega) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

Been lurking for a while as I have always wanted to get a nice setup, but alas still finishing school so budget is tight.
I wanted to get some feedback on a deal I found locally. First of all, is it a bad idea to buy speakers used? I checked and cerwin-vega seems to get a decent rep and also has a 5yr warranty on these speakers. So in essence I would still be covered 3-4 years. what should i be check ing for?

I found an add for a cerwin-vega system wiht cmx26 fronts, cmx5 back, cmx25c center adn cmx10s subwoofer. The backs weren't even installed as the guy still has them in the box. The speakers are paired with a pioneer vsx-821 for roughly 700$ which is within my budget. From what I saw for that amount it is hard to get a full 5.1 with receiver new that would be as good as this system.

The pioneer receiver isn't all that great but seems to get overall positive reviews but i can't seem to find much on the speakers themselves.
I wanted to see if some of the experts could tell me what to expect as to the pairing of the speakers and the receiver.

Also anything else you guys can suggest would be appreciated,

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of 10 Old 10-23-2012, 09:25 PM

Liked: 16
Better listen to those CVs real intensely before plunking your money down. CVs, while efficient, aren't for everyone's taste.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-23-2012, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post

Better listen to those CVs real intensely before plunking your money down. CVs, while efficient, aren't for everyone's taste.

thanks for the response, could you elaborate on what you mean by not for everyones taste?
post #5 of 10 Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 PM

Liked: 16
Of course it all depends on exactly which models. I owned CVs before and did not care for the sound. Like you I got them used and got a deal. Many people love them. They are known as party speakers because they are known for playing loud. Sure mine were plenty loud and as long as you blasted them they were OK. Any volume less than concert level I thought they sucked. To me they sounded dull and with too much low midrange.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-23-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post

Of course it all depends on exactly which models. I owned CVs before and did not care for the sound. Like you I got them used and got a deal. Many people love them. They are known as party speakers because they are known for playing loud. Sure mine were plenty loud and as long as you blasted them they were OK. Any volume less than concert level I thought they sucked. To me they sounded dull and with too much low midrange.

ahh so more for explosions and hip-hop. Not much clarity? the exact models are: cmx26 fronts, cmx5 back, cmx25c center adn cmx10s. I cant find a proper review damnit. The price is fair I find for a more serious setup

(bare in mind I am a beginning intermediate in the world of sound so my descriptions might be lacking)
post #7 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 PM

Id buy a pair and upgrade the tweeters and mids if clarity was an issue. Thats just me though and thats exactly what I did.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-03-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTweaked View Post

Id buy a pair and upgrade the tweeters and mids if clarity was an issue. Thats just me though and thats exactly what I did.
You have to be very careful when you replace drivers in a speaker. You can't just plop anything on there. The new drivers have to line up with the slope of the crossover, the sensitivity, efficiency, impedance etc. it's actually a pretty complex task to do it correctly.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #9 of 10 Old 05-03-2013, 01:40 PM

Yea thats what Ive heard but Ive done it with so many times and they always sound good to me. mostly with car subwoofers in different boxs and house woofers in different cabinets.
Im running cerwin vegas woofers in some skin thats not even cerwin vega. One day I might rebuild the box with similar specs to cerwin vega but for now these work just fine. But yea If you build your box to the woofer specification it should sound even better prob alot better at that.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 PM

Liked: 13
the cmx series is ok... go for the AT series or the VS. the VS is really a music geared speakers with alot of bass and clarity.

the mids and highs on my vs120 are amazing. everything is defined. if you have an amp that can pump the right about of power into them, they are great

here is a power guide based on the size of the woofers(inches
8(150
10(250
12(350
15(450
dual 15(750

ignore cerwin vegas power ratings... they are no where close to being accurate.

-speakers: cerwin vega vs120s, cerwin vega LS12s, cerwin vega at12s, jbl S36II, pok audio psw10, realistic mc1000, paradigm 7se MKII, sanyo sx600

yamaha rxv375
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page