In light of a recent successful subwoofer GTG at my place, I'd like to see if there is any interest in the PA/NJ/DE/NY/MD/VA/DC area to audition some various loudspeaker setups. I have no idea on the timing just yet, but I'm thinking maybe sometime in the December/January timeframe would be cool. I'll have to work around our holiday schedule and coordinate my wife, but planning another event after how fun the last one is inevitable.
Ideally for this to work well, my proposal for the details of the event would be as follows:
1) Standardize clip list and volume. Like we did with the subs, we could have a special section for "cutting them loose."
2) Identify MOSTLY ID setups as these would not be available for audition in stores
3) Limit setups to maybe 8 pairs?
4) Repeat beer and food selection from Sub GTG
I think it would be cool to get a nice mix of "value oriented" setups as well some of the higher end gear like Seaton and JTR offerings. It would also be nice to see a good mix of various types of drivers - dome tweeters vs. compression drivers vs. planar/magnetics would be really sweet. The nice part about a loudspeaker comparison is we won't have to turn them to full tilt just to really hear the differences in each setup. Also, these will tend to be lighter overall than subwoofers.
I have the following questions for you all -
1) Would we prefer a blind or sighted audition of each setup?
2) Just movies clips, just music clips, or both?
3) Include sub(s) with the audition?
4) Power with receiver or pro/external amps?
5) Employ EQ/Audyssey? Omnimic sweeps?
6) Suggested timeframe?
Speaker/attendee interest list:
1) CHT SHO-10, Gorilla83 - with subwoofer
Feel free to chime in with your thoughts.