How's Vanns customer service? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-25-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Today I received the rosenut Energy Veritas 6.2's I ordered from Vanns last week with great excitement. After opening them up I found two big dents/scratches (about 3/4 inch each ) toward the back side on one of the speakers. The dents are very bad and the finish and paint are completely off. This suddenly becomes a very frustrating purchase. Back when I ordered them I saw there were open box ones for much cheaper but I figured I need to pay the extra to buy new for the gorgeous look of the rosenut finish. Now what I got…these beautiful speakers make the damage even more depressing. Had this happen to my old polk monitors I don’t think I’d mind much.

Now for all you gurus ordered from Vanns before, how’s their customer service, especially regarding return and replacement? Can’t wait until tomorrow morning to give them a call, and I'd like to know what I'm dealing with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-25-2012, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Well, Vann's is in bankruptcy first of all, but generally has a good rep. Open boxes are your risk, though. I think I've seen the disclaimers when shopping there before about open box stuff. You get what you pay for...

post #3 of 11 Old 10-25-2012, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Well, Vann's is in bankruptcy first of all, but generally has a good rep. Open boxes are your risk, though. I think I've seen the disclaimers when shopping there before about open box stuff. You get what you pay for...

I bought the brand new ones not the open box ones, and I certainly did not get what I paid for. I said when I was ordering I saw there were open box available for a much lower price, but decided to pay extra for the new ones. I know the open box could have damage so tried to avoid. Still got a damaged one even ordered new.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-25-2012, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A few months ago I returned one item to Vann's and they made it an easy process I thought. I've had several purchases and never an issue with them. That was before the bankruptcy issues started a few weeks ago, not sure if that's changed anything.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-25-2012, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen9917 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I bought the brand new ones not the open box ones, and I certainly did not get what I paid for. I said when I was ordering I saw there were open box available for a much lower price, but decided to pay extra for the new ones. I know the open box could have damage so tried to avoid. Still got a damaged one even ordered new.

Sorry, read too quickly, misunderstood. Good luck!

post #6 of 11 Old 10-30-2012, 03:35 PM

Hi allen9917,

I just saw your post and wanted to see if you had gotten in contact with us yet? If so, please let me know how it went! If not, let me know if I can help.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-30-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen9917 View Post

Today I received the rosenut Energy Veritas 6.2's I ordered from Vanns last week with great excitement. After opening them up I found two big dents/scratches (about 3/4 inch each ) toward the back side on one of the speakers. The dents are very bad and the finish and paint are completely off. This suddenly becomes a very frustrating purchase. Back when I ordered them I saw there were open box ones for much cheaper but I figured I need to pay the extra to buy new for the gorgeous look of the rosenut finish. Now what I got…these beautiful speakers make the damage even more depressing. Had this happen to my old polk monitors I don’t think I’d mind much.
Now for all you gurus ordered from Vanns before, how’s their customer service, especially regarding return and replacement? Can’t wait until tomorrow morning to give them a call, and I'd like to know what I'm dealing with.

They were excellent for me when I needed to return some Boston Acoustics speakers.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
My experiences with Vanns has been excellent. I hope they can stay in business and keep the same culture.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #9 of 11 Old 10-30-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Mine got sour , when they advised me ok to refuse delivery and then charged me shamelessly for orig and return shipping cost;(
That was the last time I did business with them.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-31-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Mine got sour , when they advised me ok to refuse delivery and then charged me shamelessly for orig and return shipping cost;(
That was the last time I did business with them.
If you just changed your mind about buying something they'd already shipped, that is how it works.

It wouldn't be fair to Vanns or to other customers to make them pay shipping for people that simply changed their minds. It raises the prices for everyone else.

A lot of discount places would refuse returns, or charge a restocking fee.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I wasn't sure about the Energy Veritas 6.2, so I looked them up. All the sites I looked up said they were a discontinued item. Since Vann's is probably very low on stock or clearing them out, it is possible that they won't have any new ones left. If that is the case, just get Vann's to give you the open box discount and take the speakers to a woodworker. There are plenty of ways to repair that damage using wood filler/shellac and the correct stain or even using laminate to cover up the bad spot, depending on where it is located. Shouldn't cost you much at all and is probably a DIY job if you know how to do it.

The technique I use for very deep dents ( like what yours sounds like ) is to first fill in most of the deep hole with plastic wood filler and let it dry for a day or two. I usually leave a 1/8" deep hole for a wood patch or a shallower one for shellac. Use a propane torch to melt the shellac onto a small putty knife and apply to surface. If using a wood patch, I usually route out a nice even hole and then cut a patch that is the exact thickness and shape of the routed-out hole. Just glue it in and re-finish that area. Of course you need to match the grain as best as possible when using a patch and even using shellac will leave a noticeable spot when viewed up close. A patch will be a lot harder to notice if you match the grain up and finish it properly with stains that exactly match the original stain. A woodworker will know exactly what to do and will probably charge you less than $30 to repair it.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page