Recessing Bookshelf Speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-26-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about ready to do a tv/projection combo in my living room. I have a double thick wall where the tv is going (double thick from a different renovation issue) and I'd like to recess my big screen tv along with my l/r mains and my center channel speakers. Then, I'll have a pull down acuostically transparent screen above that will come down and cover everything up when I want to watch something on the pj.

What issues will I have recessing the mains and the center? How much bigger should the inset boxes be compared to the dimensions of the speakers? I assume I can't carve the holes out to make a tight fit between speaker and box. If someone could shed some light on this, that would be great.

Also, I've never used any aquostically transparent material before. And, I've never tried my speakers behind a regular screen before. Is the AT stuff really that important? I really don't want to use it because I think I'll be able to see the holes since I'll have some seats as close as 6' away even though most of the seating will be around 12-14 ft away.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-26-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
If your speakers are rear ported that could be an issue, but if they are front ported or sealed then that should be ok to recess your speakers.

Shawn
post #3 of 6 Old 10-26-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiahm View Post

I'm about ready to do a tv/projection combo in my living room. I have a double thick wall where the tv is going (double thick from a different renovation issue) and I'd like to recess my big screen tv along with my l/r mains and my center channel speakers. Then, I'll have a pull down acuostically transparent screen above that will come down and cover everything up when I want to watch something on the pj.
What issues will I have recessing the mains and the center? How much bigger should the inset boxes be compared to the dimensions of the speakers? I assume I can't carve the holes out to make a tight fit between speaker and box. If someone could shed some light on this, that would be great.
Also, I've never used any aquostically transparent material before. And, I've never tried my speakers behind a regular screen before. Is the AT stuff really that important? I really don't want to use it because I think I'll be able to see the holes since I'll have some seats as close as 6' away even though most of the seating will be around 12-14 ft away.
Thanks!

What speakers do you own?
What size screen is this?
What screen material?
post #4 of 6 Old 10-26-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

What speakers do you own?
What size screen is this?
What screen material?

Klipsh Synergy's from several years ago. SB-1 mains, SC-5 center.

I'm still working on my screen size. My wall is 8'2" horizontally. So, my screen has to fit on it and still have enough room for the screen border and the mains beside it, if the the screen isn't aquostically transparent. One option would be scrapping the big bookshelf mains and getting some new tiny satellite fronts set outside of the screen boundary.

Screen material is also an unknown right now. My theater is set up in the basement today, and I have a DIY painted on screen that I really like, but that isn't an option in the living room build. Projector is an Optoma HD65.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-26-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiahm View Post

Klipsh Synergy's from several years ago. SB-1 mains, SC-5 center.
I'm still working on my screen size. My wall is 8'2" horizontally. So, my screen has to fit on it and still have enough room for the screen border and the mains beside it, if the the screen isn't aquostically transparent. One option would be scrapping the big bookshelf mains and getting some new tiny satellite fronts set outside of the screen boundary.
Screen material is also an unknown right now. My theater is set up in the basement today, and I have a DIY painted on screen that I really like, but that isn't an option in the living room build. Projector is an Optoma HD65.

I would call or email Chris@Seymour regarding your situation and screen requirements:
http://seymourav.com/about.asp

At 6' away you could see moire effect, but if he did a max tilt cut on the material it would help a lot. Also you have to consider how often someone will be sitting 6' away. If it is 10% or less of the time, well, then it will be an easier decision. Regaring your speakers, they are rear ported, so you may want to test to see how they sound recessed. They may be fine, or it may sound muddy, every speaker and room is different. You could test this by putting your existing speakes in a cabinet or by building a cheap wood box to see how they sound.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-26-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Speaker crossovers (at least competent ones) are designed to account for the "baffle step" which affects the critical midrange. Having speakers flush mounted rather than free standing will change the baffle step in unpleasant ways. I have done this but since I'm a DIYer I changed the crossover to account for this.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page