Bertangi (BES) SM300, any good? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-26-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A pair of them showed up in my local craigslist but I have no experience in "panel" speakers nor the brand, I just know they're the flagship model. Does anyone have experience with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-31-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone? I know these speakers are old and hard to find but there's gotta be plenty of people who heard these before.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Okay so I bought them... each speaker probably weighs around 70 lbs and have a very "open" sound... it is technically a dipole speaker since it radiates sound from the front and back. and It is bi-ampable.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-08-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Seriously? No one here knows anything about these speakers?
post #5 of 14 Old 11-08-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I've never heard of them, and I have been around audio stuff since the late '70's.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Liked: 16
I used to own a pair. Because of their unorthodox design they certainly were conversation pieces. That is until I turned them on. That's when the conversation ended because they sounded so bad. I ended up unloading them and bought a pair of JBLs and then I was happy.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-09-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post

I used to own a pair. Because of their unorthodox design they certainly were conversation pieces. That is until I turned them on. That's when the conversation ended because they sounded so bad. I ended up unloading them and bought a pair of JBLs and then I was happy.

You have more to share besides "it sounds bad?" What mode of JBL did you replace it with? I think mine sounds really good, I have a pair of Genesis Physics Model 2s to compare and these have a more open sound than the model 2s. These speakers are REALLY sensitive as to where you put them in the room, it also needs 2~3 feet of space behind it for its open-air design to sound right.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 AM

I replaced them with JBL 4311 Control room monitors. The rich, fullness of the JBLs blew the BES speakers away. The BES had little bass and the rest of the range was kind of dull. They actually sounded a lot like some CVs I once had only the BES would never be able to play half as loud because the circuit breakers would open.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

I see, yeah JBL 4311s are considered to be one of the best. The weak bass can be augmented by placing these speakers further out into the room (I'm able to hear the bassline in Beastie Boys' Intergalactic), but don't expect chair-moving bass from the SM300s... these are panel speakers after all, they're not designed to thump. I find it interesting that you say these speakers sound "dull", the last pair of speakers that I heard that was "dull" was a pair of Infinity Entra Twos, they sucked in my stereo steup. The Sm300s seem to sound pretty good with jazz/classical music and have a bit of prominent emphasis on the midrange, kinda reminds me of my old Advent Large speakers with the fried egg tweeter. Its sweetspot is rather large since the panels that are producing sound is so large when compared to a normal woofer/tweeter. I've had two different pairs of Cerwin Vegas, one is an E-715 and one is LS-10 and they don't sound anything like the SM300s, they're house party speakers... loud and more loud, IMO they sounded dry in the vocal range and has a fairly anemic soundstage, very impressive bass response though.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Do you live in Wisconsin?
post #11 of 14 Old 11-14-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gleave View Post

Do you live in Wisconsin?
No. I'm in California.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

So I used the Focal JMLab demo disc 2 to set these speakers up... I moved the big towers to about 20 inches from the wall toe-in towards the listener and tweaked the midrange/tweeter gain knob on the speakers and I am really happy with the sound. It is pretty efficient, it does not need a bunch of power just to fill the room with sound. It can produce a 30Hz tone with authority and shake the floor without any bass EQ, much better than before. The bass from these speakers are... different, I want to say it's clean and flat but there's a sense of "why is my chair and floor shaking but I can't hear it", maybe it's the open-back design, maybe I'm just going deaf, but the bass from these panels do not sound like other cone speakers. Perhaps the heavy cabinet coupled with my floor and created an effect similar to tactile transducers? The circuit breakers in the speakers never tripped when I was playing it loud (it's a 2.5a breaker), I'm using a typical run-of-the-mill receiver in stereo mode.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-15-2012, 02:35 PM

Mine had hardly any bass and I believe it's because those panels have no excursion. How do you get bass without excursion?
post #14 of 14 Old 11-16-2012, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Mine had hardly any bass and I believe it's because those panels have no excursion. How do you get bass without excursion?

Well the voice coil is attached to the foam panel and the panel is the cone, it still has excursion but very little, think of it as a woofer with small xmax but huge cone area. Initially I thought the same, where the hell is the bass? My pair has been sitting for a long time and I had to clean the circuit breaker with deox-it so signals can get through (it was all fuzzy and weak before). These are open-back speakers so they radiate sound from the front and back, you'll need air space behind the speakers to act as an "enclosure" and preferably placed in the corner. Again these speakers are really sensitive on where you put them in your room, I was able to find the right spot after about 20 minutes of moving them around. I did not use any EQ for bass but I did dial the midrange knob down a bit since the vocals are a bit too "in my face" in my room.

These speakers shook my room all the way down to a bit lower than 30Hz and I can feel the 22Hz fundamentals in 976-Bass. The bassline in Beastie Boys' Intergalactic and Nelly's E.I. was convincing and Kate Havnevik's New Day was smooth and did not make her voice muddy. Amber's Object of Your Desire has some really strong resonant midbass in the beginning and these speakers did not complain with mechanical noise or clash with her soft vocals. Now don't get me wrong, these are not going to win records in sheer bass output but it can definitely hold its own, provided that the speakers are properly deployed.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page