Purchased a surround sound set up under $160 (not HTIB) - Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 10-30-2012, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just purchased some speakers yesterday after finding what I think is a great deal for a budget home theater system. I may upgrade these down the line but for now they will suffice as I am in the beginning phases of building out my media room.

These are the speakers I purchased:
Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floor-standing speakers (pair) - $65
Pioneer SP-BS21-LR Bookshelf speakers (pair) - $34
Pioneer SP-C21 Center Channel Speaker - $49

This is what my media room set up will include:
Epson 8350 PJ
Denon 1913 or Yamaha AVENTAGE 720
120" PJ Screen - either Elite or Da-Lite

What is your feedback on these speakers and setup? From the reviews that I saw they had strong positive reviews and provide good overall value. I'm going to purchase a decent, powerful subwoofer. What are your recommendations?

Do you recommend I do a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system? If I was to do a 7.1 system then I'll need another pair of book-shelf speakers, correct?

I want to conceal the wiring so with the current setup I was planning to have the 2 bookshelf speakers ceiling-mounted. However, I'm not able to find a good functional, clean, good-looking mount for it. Are there any you guys recommend?

I'm open to hearing any other feedback you may have also in regards to what receiver you recommend - either the Yamaha 720 or Denon 1913..

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Well what do you want us to say? They are cheap speakers. You are getting a good projector. So why not get decent speakers instead of junk. For those speakers, it doesn't matter what receiver you get. $160 is not the kind of budget that would get you many suggestions here. Come back with a reasonable budget and you will get some suggestions. Same for a sub too.
post #3 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

Well what do you want us to say? They are cheap speakers. You are getting a good projector. So why not get decent speakers instead of junk. For those speakers, it doesn't matter what receiver you get. $160 is not the kind of budget that would get you many suggestions here. Come back with a reasonable budget and you will get some suggestions. Same for a sub too.
Is there really any need to be so rude and insulting? He said he purchased speakers for under $160, not that it was his budget for everything else.

Anyway to the OP - I haven't heard the Pioneer's myself but many (including some here) have said they are exceptional for the price and are a great starting point for your home theatre. Definitely stick with a 5.1 setup for now, this will allow you to budget better with your receiver/sub and you can always upgrade to 7.1 later on.

As far as the receivers go out of the 2 listed I think you'll find most will say go for the Denon but someone here can probably offer you better alternatives.

For the sub I'd highly recommend the Klipsch RW-12d, it's RRP is high but newegg has it on special for $299 very often (link to it here). I know it will be roughly double the price of your speakers but you need to spend more to get a decent sub and this will blow everything else away in it's price range. At the moment it's $499 but it will go down soon, you can keep an eye on the listing or check in on this thread here.
post #4 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project H View Post

I just purchased some speakers yesterday after finding what I think is a great deal for a budget home theater system. I may upgrade these down the line but for now they will suffice as I am in the beginning phases of building out my media room.
These are the speakers I purchased:
Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floor-standing speakers (pair) - $65
Pioneer SP-BS21-LR Bookshelf speakers (pair) - $34
Pioneer SP-C21 Center Channel Speaker - $49
This is what my media room set up will include:
Epson 8350 PJ
Denon 1913 or Yamaha AVENTAGE 720
120" PJ Screen - either Elite or Da-Lite
What is your feedback on these speakers and setup? From the reviews that I saw they had strong positive reviews and provide good overall value. I'm going to purchase a decent, powerful subwoofer. What are your recommendations?
Do you recommend I do a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system? If I was to do a 7.1 m then I'll need another pair of book-shelf speakers, correct?
I want to conceal the wiring so with the current setup I was planning to have the 2 bookshelf speakers ceiling-mounted. However, I'm not able to find a good functional, clean, good-looking mount for it. Are there any you guys recommend?
I'm open to hearing any other feedback you may have also in regards to what receiver you recommend - either the Yamaha 720 or Denon 1913..
Thanks!

A lot of people love those speakers. Congrats and enjoy them. As far as subs go, that depends on your budget, but from what I've read, I'd stay away from the Pioneer sub. There are plenty of good budget subs out there, though, no need to spend a fortune. I've seen lots of discussion of mounting options in the thread for your speakers. In case you haven't been following it,, here's the link.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point
post #5 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

PRETENTIOUS POST OF THE YEAR!!!!

People like you, my friend, give this forum a bad reputation. Despite the price, those speakers have been universally praised. Also, $160 was not his budget, but the deal for which he got his speakers for. Come back with a reasonable reading comprehension level and we'll talk. wink.gif

Now to the OP, I bought those same speakers and really like them. I bought the Denon 1712 refurbished from to go with it. I probably bought the speakers at the same place you did for the same clearanced price. A 7.0 with receiver setup is costing me under $500 (no sub yet, 2 pairs of bookshelfs, 1 pair of floorstanding, 1 center).

Although, often when I listen to how good my inexpensive system sounds I say "I wish I was like Mupi and spent several thousand dollars more for a marginal improvement in my sound system that no one would appreciate but myself." Actually wait...no I don't. rolleyes.gif
post #6 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

You may want to do some research. These speakers are designed by Andrew Jones, and by many accounts will best speakers that cost much, much more. I have recommended them to several neighbors, and can attest that they are the real deal. Why pay $1000 if you can get very good sounding speakers for $160?

As for the OP, you just need a solid subwoofer and you are good to go. Very nice purchase for the price, you did well. Great system that will trounce any home theater in a box solution and you can always upgrade later.
post #7 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, as for a receiver. Get this one:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1712/DENON-AVR-1712-7.1-A/V-Surround-Receiver/1.html

It has MultiEQ XT and will have plenty of power to drive your speakers. I would put the savings towards a solid subwoofer. Don't skimp on the sub..
post #8 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information all - I greatly appreciate it. As others have stated - my budget is not $160. I just happened to find a good deal on these speakers and read the reviews on these forums and the internet and decided to pull the trigger. This will not be a permanent set up but for the time being I plan to use it for the foreseeable future. My wife and I are hoping to start a family soon so I have other more important purchases coming up related to family and the baby.

In case anyone was interested in purchasing these speakers you may be able to find some at your local best buy in their clearance section or you can just browse online in the clearance section of the bb.com site.

Also, a bit more information about the room - this setup will be in my basement which is about 1,000 sq ft and half of the room is my game room which opens up to the media room (essentially one large room). These are the sub woofers that I'm looking into - please let me know which ones you all recommend with this setup?

BIC F12
BIC PL-200
Klipsch RW-12d
Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 12"

For the receivers - I was recommended the Denon 1913 or Yamaha 720 by Crutchfield advisors and noticed that the other budget receivers do not have the bluetooth or airplay feature which is highly recommended and common in next-gen receivers. Are refurbished receivers reliable - I've seen the Denon 1913 refurb for 349 etc.

Lastly, I may have an electrician run the wiring from the receiver to the wall mounted surround speakers and PJ. I was thinking of having them wire up for 7.1 since they will be doing the work anyways. What are your thoughts on this? Should I add 2 more bookshelf speakers for 7.1? Does 7.1 typically require 2 subs?

Thanks for the info.
post #9 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

You may want to do some research. These speakers are designed by Andrew Jones, and by many accounts will best speakers that cost much, much more. I have recommended them to several neighbors, and can attest that they are the real deal. Why pay $1000 if you can get very good sounding speakers for $160?
As for the OP, you just need a solid subwoofer and you are good to go. Very nice purchase for the price, you did well. Great system that will trounce any home theater in a box solution and you can always upgrade later.

There you go again. Comparing a cheap product to a $1000 product and saying that it can stand its ground. You ask the question why pay more but then why did you get a HSU_VTF12 (as you mentioned in another thread) if you say that the PA-150 or whatever can hold its ground to a $1000 sub. You dont seem to do what you preach.

If a $160 speaker set is considered as a great buy, then pretty much everyone else here is making a fool of himself/herself by spending more.
post #10 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There you go again. Comparing a cheap product to a $1000 product and saying that it can stand its ground. You ask the question why pay more but then why did you get a HSU_VTF12 (as you mentioned in another thread) if you say that the PA-150 or whatever can hold its ground to a $1000 sub. You dont seem to do what you preach.
If a $160 speaker set is considered as a great buy, then pretty much everyone else here is making a fool of himself/herself by spending more.

So you honestly believe that the price of a product represents the quality and value of said product? As it was mentioned, these speakers do not retail for $160, they are the previous model and were on clearance. The point is that you seem to be judging how good the speakers are solely on what the OP paid. By that rational, some Bose should be vastly superior to many quality speakers because Bose costs more??

Here is more info on Andrew Jones and these speakers:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57490890-47/mission-impossible-design-great-sounding-affordable-speakers/

And yes people who spend $250-500+ on a cheap HTIB solution would have been much better off buying these speakers.
post #11 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 12:04 PM

Liked: 10
Where did you get the pioneers for that price? I am thinking of a budget HT to start with in my home.
post #12 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the information all - I greatly appreciate it. As others have stated - my budget is not $160. I just happened to find a good deal on these speakers and read the reviews on these forums and the internet and decided to pull the trigger. This will not be a permanent set up but for the time being I plan to use it for the foreseeable future. My wife and I are hoping to start a family soon so I have other more important purchases coming up related to family and the baby.
In case anyone was interested in purchasing these speakers you may be able to find some at your local best buy in their clearance section or you can just browse online in the clearance section of the bb.com site.
Also, a bit more information about the room - this setup will be in my basement which is about 1,000 sq ft and half of the room is my game room which opens up to the media room (essentially one large room). These are the sub woofers that I'm looking into - please let me know which ones you all recommend with this setup?
BIC F12
BIC PL-200
Klipsch RW-12d
Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 12"
For the receivers - I was recommended the Denon 1913 or Yamaha 720 by Crutchfield advisors and noticed that the other budget receivers do not have the bluetooth or airplay feature which is highly recommended and common in next-gen receivers. Are refurbished receivers reliable - I've seen the Denon 1913 refurb for 349 etc.
Lastly, I may have an electrician run the wiring from the receiver to the wall mounted surround speakers and PJ. I was thinking of having them wire up for 7.1 since they will be doing the work anyways. What are your thoughts on this? Should I add 2 more bookshelf speakers for 7.1? Does 7.1 typically require 2 subs?
Thanks for the info.

Out of those subs, I would probably get the Klipsch if you can still get it for under $300. Otherwise the Polk, PL-200 would be solid choices.

If Airplay and bluetooth are feature you believe you will need and use then the 1913 seems like a good fit. Otherwise you can save $100 and also get Audsyssey MultiEQ XT in the 1712 vs just MultiEQ in the 1913. I really don't have anything bad to say about Yamaha, but have been very happy with Denon so I recommend what I know smile.gif

I would have the electrician wire for 7 speakers now if it is in the budget. It will most likely be cheaper to have him do it now vs coming back later.

2 subs vs one will give you smoother bass response in your room and more output. You can always have him wire for two, but keep in mind you need to know where to place them. Use this as a reference:
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/multiple-subwoofer-setup-calibration-1
post #13 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mginster View Post

Where did you get the pioneers for that price? I am thinking of a budget HT to start with in my home.

If you're lucky you can find them on clearance at a Best Buy. More than likely they've all been picked up by now.
post #14 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Out of those subs, I would probably get the Klipsch if you can still get it for under $300. Otherwise the Polk, PL-200 would be solid choices.
If Airplay and bluetooth are feature you believe you will need and use then the 1913 seems like a good fit. Otherwise you can save $100 and also get Audsyssey MultiEQ XT in the 1712 vs just MultiEQ in the 1913. I really don't have anything bad to say about Yamaha, but have been very happy with Denon so I recommend what I know smile.gif
I would have the electrician wire for 7 speakers now if it is in the budget. It will most likely be cheaper to have him do it now vs coming back later.
2 subs vs one will give you smoother bass response in your room and more output. You can always have him wire for two, but keep in mind you need to know where to place them. Use this as a reference:
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/multiple-subwoofer-setup-calibration-1

thanks for the info on the subs. i spoke to an installer and they are charging $500 for the items below, do you guys think this is a good price?

-Add ceiling mounted AC power outlet for PJ
-Run HDMI cable from receiver to PJ
-7.1 surround sound wiring - basically wiring for the 4 x side/rear surround speakers
-install 2 in-wall rear speakers for 7.1
-Install PJ / mount / initial set up
-Install 120" fixed PJ screen
-Install speaker outlet behind receiver

I'm going change my audio set up a bit as i want to implement 7.1 surround and keep more of static setup for the mounted speakers as i dont want to re-drill holes for the mounts etc. Also, it doesnt look like there is a ceiling mount kit for the pioneers. I'll be keeping the Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floor-standing speakers and Pioneer SP-C21 Center Channel Speaker. I dont think im going to use the bookshelf speakers towards this set up. I'm going to pick up another set of nicer bookshelf speakers that can be ceiling mounted based off recommendations/feedback i receive - these will be for the surround speakers (left and right) of the seating. finally, im going to add a pair of in-wall speakers as my rear speakers to round off the 7.1 setup. I have not ruled out getting just 4 bookshelf speakers to get ceiling mounted as they would provide the best quality. Let me know what in-wall speakers and other book-shelf speakers you guys recommend.

I'l also search the forums for this info.

thanks for all the suggestions and help guys.
post #15 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for the info on the subs. i spoke to an installer and they are charging $500 for the items below, do you guys think this is a good price?
-Add ceiling mounted AC power outlet for PJ
-Run HDMI cable from receiver to PJ
-7.1 surround sound wiring - basically wiring for the 4 x side/rear surround speakers
-install 2 in-wall rear speakers for 7.1
-Install PJ / mount / initial set up
-Install 120" fixed PJ screen
-Install speaker outlet behind receiver
I'm going change my audio set up a bit as i want to implement 7.1 surround and keep more of static setup for the mounted speakers as i dont want to re-drill holes for the mounts etc. Also, it doesnt look like there is a ceiling mount kit for the pioneers. I'll be keeping the Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floor-standing speakers and Pioneer SP-C21 Center Channel Speaker. I dont think im going to use the bookshelf speakers towards this set up. I'm going to pick up another set of nicer bookshelf speakers that can be ceiling mounted based off recommendations/feedback i receive - these will be for the surround speakers (left and right) of the seating. finally, im going to add a pair of in-wall speakers as my rear speakers to round off the 7.1 setup. I have not ruled out getting just 4 bookshelf speakers to get ceiling mounted as they would provide the best quality. Let me know what in-wall speakers and other book-shelf speakers you guys recommend.
I'l also search the forums for this info.
thanks for all the suggestions and help guys.

For all the things listed, the price seems resonable. I would still get at least one more quote, and if you are handy at all same of the tasks you can do yourself.
post #16 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

i am willing to do some of the tasks myself - the a/v installer just gave me a price that included all that. i may be able to get him to go down a bit. im still working on getting all the pieces together in my system.

in my last post, i stated that the fronts will be pioneers for the floor standing speakers 51s and C21 for the center. Which speakers do you all recommend for the rear surrounds. based on my basement layout. i think i may do a pair of surrounds as bookshelf type speakers and the rear most speakers in the 7.x setup as in wall speakers. my budget for these would be under 150 - 200 each.

Another requirement for the bookshelf speakers is that they need to be able to get either ceiling or wall mounted. something OEM looking instead of just rigged together.

thanks
post #17 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

by the way, is it necessary to match the side / rear surround speakers by manufacturer or output for optimal quality?
post #18 of 28 Old 10-31-2012, 10:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:

Agreed. For it's sale price of $299, the Klipsch RW-12d is definitely the best, with the BIC PL-200 being a good second choice.

I also think that Audyssey room correction is worthwhile in the Denons. It has EQ filters for the sub, as well as the speakers.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #19 of 28 Old 11-01-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info the sub - ill look into these and monitor prices as we get closer to BF.

Can anyone please comment on the bookshelf speakers they recommend as I dont think im going to use the pioneer 21s in my set up. I dont want to have to remount new speakers and have to fill holes etc in the drywall.

What mountable or in-wall surround speakers do you guys recommend? is it better to have these be the same brand for consistency and optimal performance?

thanks
post #20 of 28 Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
im using 51s and c21 like yourself. i also didnt want to mount so i just bought a pair of those energy take classic sats speakers from ebay and bought these stands for them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000289DCG/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

works perfectly with the pioneers
post #21 of 28 Old 11-01-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post

im using 51s and c21 like yourself. i also didnt want to mount so i just bought a pair of those energy take classic sats speakers from ebay and bought these stands for them.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000289DCG/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00
works perfectly with the pioneers

Those stands look pretty good. The stand specs say it supports 2 lbs. I think the Pioneers speakers weight more than 2 lbs. though.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #22 of 28 Old 11-01-2012, 05:53 PM

where did you get the 51s for 65?!?
post #23 of 28 Old 11-01-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolesj View Post

where did you get the 51s for 65?!?

In post 8 and 13 he said he got them from Best Buy. But they're discontinued/clearance models so your mileage may vary.

I picked up two Athena AS-F1 towers for under $100 total many, many years ago during a Best Buy clearance. So good deals like that can happen.

Afro GT
post #24 of 28 Old 11-01-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

pioneers are closer to 9lbs if im not mistaken. also i dont want any exposed wiring thats why i wanted to mount them to the wall initially.

for now im gonna keep the front 3 speakers the same brands with the 2 x fs51s, 1 x c21 (pioneers). for the 4 surround speakers - what do you guys recommend? 2 of which will be ceiling mounted and the other 2 closest to the seating will be bookshelf style speakers.

I was looking at these options - what do you think:
Option 1:
Klipsch Reference II RS41 x 2
Klipsch in-ceiling speakers R-2650-C II x 2

The in-ceiling speakers are kinda expensive - please let me know if there are others you guys recommend that may be cheaper that have good performance. With this option I would eventually phase out the pioneer floor standing and center channel speakers for the Klipsch reference line down the road.

Option 2:
Polk Audio RTi A3 x 2 or Polk Audio TSi200 x 2
Polk Audio 80F/X-RT

with option 2 i would replace the pioneers eventually with either the RTi line or Monitors.

Thanks for the feedback
post #25 of 28 Old 10-09-2013, 01:36 PM

Liked: 11
I really want these speakers but I can find a mount that will hold them and I do not want to add a shelf in my media room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
post #26 of 28 Old 10-09-2013, 03:01 PM

I picked up the devon avr-1913 from best buy on clearance for a little $200. I thought it was a steal, and I'd definitely recommend it!

post #27 of 28 Old 10-09-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmize View Post

I picked up the devon avr-1913 from best buy on clearance for a little $200. I thought it was a steal, and I'd definitely recommend it!

That was a steal biggrin.gif

Your questions are answered:

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #28 of 28 Old 10-09-2013, 04:49 PM

Liked: 12
How about two dayton sub 1200's for 260$

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-629
Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Sp Fs51 Lr Floorstanding Loudspeakers Black Pair , Pioneer Sp Bs21 Lr 80 Watt Rms 2 Way Speaker , Pioneer Sp C21 130 Watt Rms 2 Way Speaker , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Yamaha Rx A720 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A720 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page