Is this a deal I should jump on just becasue? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So ive been contemplating setting up a small 2.1 setup to compliment my 52" Sharp LC-52LE920UN (Beautiful picture btw) although slightly saturated it looks great) in my living room. Im not looking for the best of the best nor do i have the funds for it,but anything will beat out the tv's rear firing speakers that are plain horrible. I know a good bit about about audio however I am very Familiar with car audio and not home audio. With that said I would like for u guys to steer me in the right direction before i make any purchases.

I have a good friend who doesnt like audio and inherited a pair of klipsch f2's from his brother because he left overseas in the military. Being that my friend knows I like audio he offered them to me for $100 for the pair. Their in great condition BTW. To me this is a no brainer to pick them up even though I dont particularly like harsh tweeters IE. metal/ horn. I havent heard the f2's in a bout 2 years and he doesnt have a reciever so that I can. I figure for the price i cant beat them though.

I heard a pair of paradigms that my dad had a bout a year ago and really like the warmth that they had but thats a different story.

QUESTIONS
1. Should I buy the F2's on price point alone?
2. What would be a decent but cheaper ( sub $300) receiver that I should look into to mate with these?
3. Would a polk psw-505 for around $200 work well for a 60/40 movie music sub.

Keep in mind this is a budget build and im only looking for 2.1 for now. I know once the bug bites me Ill have two audio addictions. But should this make me happy for a $500 2.1? ( I know its subjective but im not expecting great from this setup) i look for that in my car.

Thanks for the help guys. and i love the forum.. Been on diymobileaudio for years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do any of your other friends have a stereo or receiver you could borrow, or take them to? Or if you are planning to buy a receiver from a store, ask the store if you could borrow the receiver to try them out. Used ones go for $150 to $250 and new they are around $400-$500. Good deal for sure if that is your budget.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I would grab them for $100 for the pair. No brainer. They will blow away your TV speakers even without a subwoofer. You will want to add a center channel speaker at some point, but you may be able to find a used one as well to keep cost down. I would probably add the center before the subwoofer if you watch a lot of TV/movies.

The Polk sub is solid for that price. There is a budget subwoofer thread in that forum that is very helpful but I like the Polk sub at that price as long as you understand it's limitations.

As for a receiver, look for a decent refurbished one from here. They come with a full manufacturers warranty. A used one makes sense too, but for a little more you can get a new one with a warranty most likely:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/AVReceiver/Home-Audio/Home-Theater-Receivers/1.html

Look for 5.1, as 7.1 might be overkill.
post #4 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepus View Post

Do any of your other friends have a stereo or receiver you could borrow, or take them to? Or if you are planning to buy a receiver from a store, ask the store if you could borrow the receiver to try them out. Used ones go for $150 to $250 and new they are around $400-$500. Good deal for sure if that is your budget.
No i dont know anyone personally, but i can possibly talk to a store and see if they will allow me to do this. Do u have any particular models in that range that are at the top of the list as far as bang for the buck that u reccomend? For whatever reason i really like onkyo and denon.... ( dont ask why becasue i couldnt answer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I would grab them for $100 for the pair. No brainer. They will blow away your TV speakers even without a subwoofer. You will want to add a center channel speaker at some point, but you may be able to find a used one as well to keep cost down. I would probably add the center before the subwoofer if you watch a lot of TV/movies.
The Polk sub is solid for that price. There is a budget subwoofer thread in that forum that is very helpful but I like the Polk sub at that price as long as you understand it's limitations.
As for a receiver, look for a decent refurbished one from here. They come with a full manufacturers warranty. A used one makes sense too, but for a little more you can get a new one with a warranty most likely:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/AVReceiver/Home-Audio/Home-Theater-Receivers/1.html
OK good. I figured It was a no brainer to grab them at that price.. I figure even if i dont like them i can resell them and try to find some paradigms or something along those lines. and i didnt even consider the center channel originally, but i know that it is very important for dialouge. Can you possibly reccomend me a good bidget center that u think would match up well with the F2's and later the psw-505?

Thanks you both of u guys, quick and very helpful responses.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 174
One one hand...yea, that is a great deal for those speaker. On the other hand, you have said that you are not a fan of horn/compression tweeters. So this speaker may not be a good choice for you!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #6 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkist240sx View Post

No i dont know anyone personally, but i can possibly talk to a store and see if they will allow me to do this. Do u have any particular models in that range that are at the top of the list as far as bang for the buck that u reccomend? For whatever reason i really like onkyo and denon.... ( dont ask why becasue i couldnt answer)
OK good. I figured It was a no brainer to grab them at that price.. I figure even if i dont like them i can resell them and try to find some paradigms or something along those lines. and i didnt even consider the center channel originally, but i know that it is very important for dialouge. Can you possibly reccomend me a good bidget center that u think would match up well with the F2's and later the psw-505?
Thanks you both of u guys, quick and very helpful responses.

Yes, you should have no problem getting what you paid for those speakers. Klipsch are pretty well knows since they are carried at big box stores like Best Buy. The matching center is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synergy-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B0011YR8KO

You want to match the brand and speaker line with the center and fronts for timbre. You may want to checkout Ebay, Craigslist, etc for a deal on one.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, you should have no problem getting what you paid for those speakers. Klipsch are pretty well knows since they are carried at big box stores like Best Buy. The matching center is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synergy-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B0011YR8KO
You want to match the brand and speaker line with the center and fronts for timbre. You may want to checkout Ebay, Craigslist, etc for a deal on one.

That really stinks though because the c-2 center has horrible reviews pretty much across the board.... choices choices. maybe ill just get the receiver and speakers and then the sub while i plan a little better. I have a feeling that a better set of towers will be necessary before i want to go and get a matching center.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I would buy those Klipsch mains for $100 without thinking twice about it. Especially if they where in good shape. I like horn speakers though. Every speaker in my theater has waveguides. I don't own any Klipsch speakers but they're on my want list. Maybe not those exact speakers but I in general I like most Klipsch speakers. I have listened to those Klipsch speakers before and they sounded good in 2.0 and sounded great paired with a subwoofer.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

I would buy those Klipsch mains for $100 without thinking twice about it. Especially if they where in good shape. I like horn speakers though. Every speaker in my theater has waveguides. I don't own any Klipsch speakers but they're on my want list. Maybe not those exact speakers but I in general I like most Klipsch speakers. I have listened to those Klipsch speakers before and they sounded good in 2.0 and sounded great paired with a subwoofer.
They really are in great condition. Im glad to hear that u liked the way they sounded 2.1 Thats the plan until i find something i like better.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:

I second this idea. Great way to better bang for your buck.

Also, if you really don't like the klipsch tweeters, here's a bookshelf pair of some speakers that people say a lot of good things about. They're $150. Maybe someone with first hand experience can elaborate on them. http://www.svsound.com/speakers/s-series/sbs-02#.UJF3vmdRTvE
post #11 of 12 Old 10-31-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastynice View Post

I second this idea. Great way to better bang for your buck.
Also, if you really don't like the klipsch tweeters, here's a bookshelf pair of some speakers that people say a lot of good things about. They're $150. Maybe someone with first hand experience can elaborate on them. http://www.svsound.com/speakers/s-series/sbs-02#.UJF3vmdRTvE
Interesting... I I never even really considered bookshelves... I mean maybe for the surrounds but never for the mains... They just seem to small to give the sound im looking for. ie the midbass extension... Ill look at some reviews on their speakers though becasue the prices are awesome. (minus the subwoofers haha). And I second the Reciever link, I think that is where I will buy : ). Is there a cheat sheet somewhere that gives the quick sounds of different reciever companies? ie. pioneer=warm, denon=detailed etc etc... i know its not an exact science but even in car audio it hold true, alpine=detailed/forward whereas pioneer = warm/smooth etc etc... that would be greatly appreciated as i would like to counter act the klipsch F2's harshness/shrillness as much as possible with a smooth/warm nature reciever. This would also leave me in a better position if i decide to sell the F2's and buy more laid back sounding speakers because they would mate well with it.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-01-2012, 07:03 PM

Yea, I see what ur saying, bookshelves will usually sound smaller. You might wanna consider this here, energy tower speakers $130 a pair. Although I think energy and klipsch are made by the same company or something, so u might wanna research it a bit and make sure they don't use the same tweeters.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269036&nm_mc=BAC-Criteo&cm_mmc=BAC-Criteo-_-Home+Audio+Speakers-_-Energy-_-82269036

I personally haven't seen anything breaking down receivers and their sound signatures. I'm sure if you dig a round here a bit u could pretty much see what people think and how they describe them
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page