Speaker Suggestions for New Home Theater Setup [Picture Included] - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
zipzap62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, my family and I just moved into a new home and we setup a massive 180" projection screen setup in the living room (approximately 24x25). It looks fantastic, but I am totally lost on what to get for speakers.

I've asked a few friends, some say to just forget surround sound and go with two loudspeakers with a sub. While others say to go with a full surround sound setup. I'm really open to all ideas.

If it helps any, I do have a decent receiver I bought a few years back. It's the Denon AVR-1908. I thought the picture would help give a better perspective on what I'm working with. I'll answer any questions you may have about the room or about anything else.

Uses will be mainly for watching HDTV, Movies, and a little gaming.

PS: Our budget as of now is about EDIT: $3,000. I appreciate the help in advance!


The picture is a panorama, so it may appear a bit warped.
zipzap62 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 135
For that budget and that room size, I personally recommend Klipsch speakers as they are very efficient and can fill that large room with plenty of sound. Another very efficient option would be the Chase SHO-10's as a front left/center/right trio. That would be what I would do as I think that the SHO-10's are hands down the best LCR combo for your budget. You need to make sure that what ever speakers you end up going with, they need to be very efficient due to your large space because most speakers would have a hard time filling all of that space up with good sound. For the subwoofer(s) you honestly need 2 or more to fully pressurize that large room. I would look into offerings from companies such as HSU, SVS, Chase, Outlaw, and Epic. I highly recommend going with an internet direct brand as opposed to a big box brand because you will get substantially more performance for your money that way. I hope this helps!
Martycool007 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
What exactly is behind the screen? A fireplace and windows? Center channel placement could be an issue. Also can you post your room size?
ack_bk is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
zipzap62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

For that budget and that room size, I personally recommend Klipsch speakers as they are very efficient and can fill that large room with plenty of sound. Another very efficient option would be the Chase SHO-10's as a front left/center/right trio. That would be what I would do as I think that the SHO-10's are hands down the best LCR combo for your budget. You need to make sure that what ever speakers you end up going with, they need to be very efficient due to your large space because most speakers would have a hard time filling all of that space up with good sound. For the subwoofer(s) you honestly need 2 or more to fully pressurize that large room. I would look into offerings from companies such as HSU, SVS, Chase, Outlaw, and Epic. I highly recommend going with an internet direct brand as opposed to a big box brand because you will get substantially more performance for your money that way. I hope this helps!

The SHO-10's look fantastic, thanks for sharing them. And yes, I do as well think that two subs are necessary for my large room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

What exactly is behind the screen? A fireplace and windows? Center channel placement could be an issue. Also can you post your room size?

It is a fireplace behind the screen. Along with sliding glass doors on each side. The screen is electronic and does go up. As for the center speaker, someone over at Audioholics suggested that I use a stand underneath the screen. The room size is approximately 24x25.
zipzap62 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzap62 View Post

The SHO-10's look fantastic, thanks for sharing them. And yes, I do as well think that two subs are necessary for my large room.
It is a fireplace behind the screen. Along with sliding glass doors on each side. The screen is electronic and does go up. As for the center speaker, someone over at Audioholics suggested that I use a stand underneath the screen. The room size is approximately 24x25.

The SHO's are a great solution. I would recommend them as well based on your room size. On a $2K budget, though, you are going to have to make some consensus between speakers and subs in that space. If you got SHO surrounds you will have almost no budget for subwoofers. I would go with three SHO's and either wire for surrounds or buy some cheaper surrounds. I would be looking at Powersound Audio, Hsu VTF-15H, and the Chase subs in your budget. Another option would be Outlaw audio.
ack_bk is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
zipzap62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To make room for the subwoofers I decided to bump the budget up to $3,000.
zipzap62 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
zipzap62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am very interested in buying these speakers off of craigslist because this seems like a really good deal. Then purchasing a better AVR such as the DENON AVR-3312CI and finally buying another sub.
zipzap62 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off