Speaker Suggestions for New Home Theater Setup [Picture Included] - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, my family and I just moved into a new home and we setup a massive 180" projection screen setup in the living room (approximately 24x25). It looks fantastic, but I am totally lost on what to get for speakers.

I've asked a few friends, some say to just forget surround sound and go with two loudspeakers with a sub. While others say to go with a full surround sound setup. I'm really open to all ideas.

If it helps any, I do have a decent receiver I bought a few years back. It's the Denon AVR-1908. I thought the picture would help give a better perspective on what I'm working with. I'll answer any questions you may have about the room or about anything else.

Uses will be mainly for watching HDTV, Movies, and a little gaming.

PS: Our budget as of now is about EDIT: $3,000. I appreciate the help in advance!

The picture is a panorama, so it may appear a bit warped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 135
For that budget and that room size, I personally recommend Klipsch speakers as they are very efficient and can fill that large room with plenty of sound. Another very efficient option would be the Chase SHO-10's as a front left/center/right trio. That would be what I would do as I think that the SHO-10's are hands down the best LCR combo for your budget. You need to make sure that what ever speakers you end up going with, they need to be very efficient due to your large space because most speakers would have a hard time filling all of that space up with good sound. For the subwoofer(s) you honestly need 2 or more to fully pressurize that large room. I would look into offerings from companies such as HSU, SVS, Chase, Outlaw, and Epic. I highly recommend going with an internet direct brand as opposed to a big box brand because you will get substantially more performance for your money that way. I hope this helps!
post #3 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
What exactly is behind the screen? A fireplace and windows? Center channel placement could be an issue. Also can you post your room size?
post #4 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

For that budget and that room size, I personally recommend Klipsch speakers as they are very efficient and can fill that large room with plenty of sound. Another very efficient option would be the Chase SHO-10's as a front left/center/right trio. That would be what I would do as I think that the SHO-10's are hands down the best LCR combo for your budget. You need to make sure that what ever speakers you end up going with, they need to be very efficient due to your large space because most speakers would have a hard time filling all of that space up with good sound. For the subwoofer(s) you honestly need 2 or more to fully pressurize that large room. I would look into offerings from companies such as HSU, SVS, Chase, Outlaw, and Epic. I highly recommend going with an internet direct brand as opposed to a big box brand because you will get substantially more performance for your money that way. I hope this helps!

The SHO-10's look fantastic, thanks for sharing them. And yes, I do as well think that two subs are necessary for my large room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

What exactly is behind the screen? A fireplace and windows? Center channel placement could be an issue. Also can you post your room size?

It is a fireplace behind the screen. Along with sliding glass doors on each side. The screen is electronic and does go up. As for the center speaker, someone over at Audioholics suggested that I use a stand underneath the screen. The room size is approximately 24x25.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzap62 View Post

The SHO-10's look fantastic, thanks for sharing them. And yes, I do as well think that two subs are necessary for my large room.
It is a fireplace behind the screen. Along with sliding glass doors on each side. The screen is electronic and does go up. As for the center speaker, someone over at Audioholics suggested that I use a stand underneath the screen. The room size is approximately 24x25.

The SHO's are a great solution. I would recommend them as well based on your room size. On a $2K budget, though, you are going to have to make some consensus between speakers and subs in that space. If you got SHO surrounds you will have almost no budget for subwoofers. I would go with three SHO's and either wire for surrounds or buy some cheaper surrounds. I would be looking at Powersound Audio, Hsu VTF-15H, and the Chase subs in your budget. Another option would be Outlaw audio.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

To make room for the subwoofers I decided to bump the budget up to $3,000.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

I am very interested in buying these speakers off of craigslist because this seems like a really good deal. Then purchasing a better AVR such as the DENON AVR-3312CI and finally buying another sub.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page