$2,000-3,000 Tower speaker comparison: Need help picking the contenders for a shootout - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 241 Old 02-13-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Oh, just to show how close it was, Bitterwaste, my wife, and my dad preferred the Ultras while VicTorious1, my mom, and my father in law liked the Phil's better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 241 Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

Oh, just to show how close it was, Bitterwaste, my wife, and my dad preferred the Ultras while VicTorious1, my mom, and my father in law liked the Phil's better.

What--no golden retriever in the mix? Not much of a family unit.
post #183 of 241 Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

An interesting balance of power. But "Bitterwaste"? Does she know you call her that? eek.gif

Congrats on your decision, NHTB. You went about making it in a way that few would. We're proud of you.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #184 of 241 Old 02-14-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:

Just as I predict - 50/50.

I bet they sound a lot more similar than they differ IMO. We're not exactly comparing to Bose or generic speakers from Walmart. biggrin.gif

Most people would be happy with either SVS or Phil.
post #185 of 241 Old 02-14-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

It's so true that there are horses for courses. To each his/her own. But I have a sneaking suspicion that the OP enjoys the typical British curve in his speakers' FR. He talks a lot about the bass and its affect on his preferred music (rock). That's a good reason for him to see an Ultra FR graph...to know what it is he likes to hear ... looks like. (Of course, there is always EQ boosting in those same areas. wink.gif Perhap could have his cake and eat it too. )

If you enjoyed the speakers and bought them before knowing the FR graphs, then a year later found out the speakers did NOT measure smoothly with a FR of +/-4dB, would you be upset? biggrin.gif
post #186 of 241 Old 02-14-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Just as I predict - 50/50.

I bet they sound a lot more similar than they differ IMO. We're not exactly comparing to Bose or generic speakers from Walmart. biggrin.gif

Most people would be happy with either SVS or Phil.

I think Mike made it pretty clear that they had distinct differences, and would appeal to different people.
post #187 of 241 Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

I think Mike made it pretty clear that they had distinct differences, and would appeal to different people.

^ This.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #188 of 241 Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

An interesting balance of power. But "Bitterwaste"? Does she know you call her that? eek.gif

Congrats on your decision, NHTB. You went about making it in a way that few would. We're proud of you.

HEY!!!!! bad Mudslide, BAD!!!

EMP tek 5.1 theater setup, Marantz SR6006, Oppo BDP-95
Salk Songtowers, Emotiva XPA-2, ERC-1.  

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

post #189 of 241 Old 02-14-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterwaste View Post

HEY!!!!! bad Mudslide, BAD!!!

Hahaaaa...I didn't know there was indeed a 'bitterwaste' here on AVS. I'm glad my wife isn't on here to monit ... uh ... join in the hobby. Yeah, that's it. Join in the hobby. wink.gif (I'd be in such trouble.) Well...at least I ASSUME you are his wife...or her husband...or something...

EDIT: Okay... I just figured out that you're a neighbor. Oh well, there is no excuse for stupidity...unless it's my ancient age...or NHTB's syntax. frown.gifsmile.gif

MARGARITAS,
post #190 of 241 Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 AM

hahah I'm none of that, I was the person that brought over the EMP tek speakers to his house, he said me (bitterwaste), his wife, and his dad liked the ultra speakers, not bitterwaste my wife. lol I had posted a ton of things in this thread about my speakers and impressions of what I thought in our GTG with Vic.

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

post #191 of 241 Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Yeah both speakers had major differences in sound but one could do certain sounds better than the others based solely on what you find more appealing, one thing is 100% right I would be happy with either speaker to call my own. It’s really the difference between someone like a blonde over a brunette or red head. At the end of the day you would be happy to have any of them but you prefer one over the other.

post #192 of 241 Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Yeah both speakers had major differences in sound but one could do certain sounds better than the others based solely on what you find more appealing, one thing is 100% right I would be happy with either speaker to call my own. It’s really the difference between someone like a blonde over a brunette or red head. At the end of the day you would be happy to have any of them but you prefer one over the other.

Sounds like you are hard up buddy! Gentleman prefer ..REDHEADS!
post #193 of 241 Old 02-14-2013, 10:43 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Exactly. The differences were noticeable for sure. I think both bitterwaste and NHTB preferred the slightly "warmer" sound, and I preferred the more "neutral" sound with the crisper high end. But all of us at the GTG would definitely be happy with either sound. My wife laughs when she tells people that I used to prefer brunettes until I met her. To each his own.
post #194 of 241 Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hahah I'm none of that, I was the person that brought over the EMP tek speakers to his house, he said me (bitterwaste), his wife, and his dad liked the ultra speakers, not bitterwaste my wife. lol I had posted a ton of things in this thread about my speakers and impressions of what I thought in our GTG with Vic.

Guess I better start following screen names. Hey, I have limited brain cells left after almost 7 decades of rock and roll. TMB = CRS!

And interpreted either way, lol, there should be a comma after "bitterwaste, my wife". tongue.gifbiggrin.gif)
bitterwaste likes this.

MARGARITAS,
post #195 of 241 Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Guess I better start following screen names. Hey, I have limited brain cells left after almost 7 decades of rock and roll. TMB = CRS!

And interpreted either way, lol, there should be a comma after "bitterwaste, my wife". tongue.gifbiggrin.gif)

CRS I have way to much working with bands all the time, I think it rubs off on you because musicians are helpless and lost some times. I was working on sound for Foghat and the bass player came over to me at least 6 times in one night to ask me where his room is at! WHAT I’m THE SOUND GUY not your assistant! (#*_)$*@# so after years of doing this its rubbing off. Lol Maybe it goes through speakers as well.

post #196 of 241 Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Funny how easy it is for things to be misinterpreted when typed.

She is never on these boards. If she was, I guess I would have to call her "Wife of NewHTbuyer"....just like Nuance does.
rolleyes.gif
bitterwaste likes this.

post #197 of 241 Old 02-14-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Funny how easy it is for things to be misinterpreted when typed.

She is never on these boards. If she was, I guess I would have to call her "Wife of NewHTbuyer"....just like Nuance does.
rolleyes.gif

Ha, mine would have ChiefExecutiveOfficer, or CEO somewhere in her screen name. (Pssst: If you see either of those here on AVS, please give me the heads-up...pronto.) biggrin.gif

MARGARITAS,
post #198 of 241 Old 02-16-2013, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sad day as I just started boxing up the Phil 2s. I listened some more first and they are really great speakers, especially the clarity and detail. I am sure the next owner will enjoy them quite a bit.

Now, after the room gets cleaned up and the SVS Ultras are placed back into their ideal spots, I can actually get down to just listening and enjoying my music, and maybe shut my brain off for a little while.

post #199 of 241 Old 02-17-2013, 03:40 AM

awesome NHTB! it is sad to see the phil's go but you picked the one you enjoyed the most.

post #200 of 241 Old 02-17-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
They are going to a good home smile.gif
post #201 of 241 Old 02-17-2013, 09:03 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Sad day as I just started boxing up the Phil 2s. I listened some more first and they are really great speakers, especially the clarity and detail. I am sure the next owner will enjoy them quite a bit.

Now, after the room gets cleaned up and the SVS Ultras are placed back into their ideal spots, I can actually get down to just listening and enjoying my music, and maybe shut my brain off for a little while.

Before you shut off your brain, may be you should check with Dave at Ascend one last time to see if the RAAL tweeters are back in stock.
post #202 of 241 Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsnoob10 View Post

Before you shut off your brain, may be you should check with Dave at Ascend one last time to see if the RAAL tweeters are back in stock.

Why? I thought the OP preferred the SVS's aluminum dome over the RAAL (Phil2)?
post #203 of 241 Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Ohh sorry, I didn't read the whole thread, but remember earlier in the thread that OP couldn't get Ascend RAAL towers due to availability or did I get threads mixed up?
post #204 of 241 Old 02-17-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm getting very cornfused. First off, who's "OP"? Is that tweet talk or something? The person who started this is NewHTBuyer, and he couldn't get the Ascends to audition because there were no RAAL teeters available. I'm in the same position right now--I can't get any until the end of the month. Second, NHTB's preference for the SVS was based on its voicing and extension in the bass range. I think just about everyone found the Phil's more neutral, open and transparent in the upper mids and highs.
post #205 of 241 Old 02-17-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:

I'm getting very cornfused. First off, who's "OP"? Is that tweet talk or something? The person who started this is NewHTBuyer, and he couldn't get the Ascends to audition because there were no RAAL teeters available. I'm in the same position right now--I can't get any until the end of the month. Second, NHTB's preference for the SVS was based on its voicing and extension in the bass range. I think just about everyone found the Phil's more neutral, open and transparent in the upper mids and highs.

OP stands for original poster i believe. References NewHTBuyer since he started the thread.
post #206 of 241 Old 02-17-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsnoob10 View Post

The Ascend is a good suggestion, because I did like the high end on the Phil's better than the SVS. But, for now, that ship has sailed. I don't really have any more free time for careful audition. Also, I suspect the low end on the Sierra towers might not be enough for me without a sub.

post #207 of 241 Old 02-17-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrok View Post

OP stands for original poster i believe. References NewHTBuyer since he started the thread.

Depending on context it is "original poster" (which it is in this case) or "original post".
post #208 of 241 Old 02-17-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:

The Ascend is a good suggestion, because I did like the high end on the Phil's better than the SVS. But, for now, that ship has sailed. I don't really have any more free time for careful audition. Also, I suspect the low end on the Sierra towers might not be enough for me without a sub.

NHTB: I am sure you looked for Ascend Sierra Towers owner in your neighborhood but if not for Towers, try to audition Sierra-1s for bass response and that should give you some basic idea even though Towers have slightly modified woofers and actually has two of them, Sierra-1's one of the best qualities is it's low end response. I run my towers without sub for music and I would say I dont miss sub for anything except the lowest pushing content.
post #209 of 241 Old 04-06-2013, 01:44 AM

I don't quite understand why people are still insisting the OP audition more speakers, He is clearly happy with the SVS and although I thoroughly read and understood this entire post, I still don't know what I want to do LOL!!!

I am trying to unload my B&W CM5's and Centre and this whole time I was thinking about the Sierra towers (with RAAL) until I read more about the Phils, but I only make my 1 year old listen to classical music because I am raising him to be the next Ian Anderson. I personally really only listen to Rock (prog, alt, metal, etc) but I love fusion jazz and salsa or most latin jazz so that really screws me in deciding between a phil or SVS, Ascend, Salk or even Aperion Versus Grand although I do use that room for home theater but more and more I find myself listening to more 2 channel music 75% and 25% HT

I love a great sound stage and get a serious audio boner when the speakers magically disappear, I mean who doesent??? I have a sub as well so getting the deep lows isn't an issue and my set up isnt close to side walls but distancing them up to two feet would be an issue since I do have an open walk way next to the left channel.. I really wonder if the Phil's can't blow me away with heavier music??

3 things in life my father said to me

1. Deny till death
2. If you dont sleep with her, someone else will
3. If it dont fit, force it
post #210 of 241 Old 04-06-2013, 03:11 AM

Liked: 19
I don't think people are actively suggesting that the OP audition additional speakers (aside from the last post in this thread, which is nearly two months old). You would likely be happy with either of the speakers you listed, but try to audition as many as you can before buying. In addition, please note that there was a clarification: the Phils, which I have and love, do not, I repeat, do not need to be two feet from the wall. This erroneous statement made by me prior to buying the Phils was corrected by Dennis and others in this thread.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page