AVS Forum banner

$2,000-3,000 Tower speaker comparison: Need help picking the contenders for a shootout

35K views 240 replies 60 participants last post by  The Murderousone 
#1 ·
It is my turn to ask advice from all the experts.

I am getting close to upgrading the speakers in my basement. It will be a 2.0 channel room, no subwoofer planned at this time, and I am looking at getting full range floorstanding speakers in the price range of $2,000-3,000.

The room is 17 feet wide by 16 feet deep with 7.5 foot ceiling. I will sit about 11 or 12 feet back from the front wall. I will be powering the speakers with a Harmon Kardon HK3490, 120wpc, stereo receiver. I also plan to do some room treatments (separate budget).

I have read many threads here and I hope to do what many people recommend. I plan to bring in 3-5 different sets of speakers at the same time in my own home so that I can compare and end up with the set I like the best. I am also, as a relatively new enthusiast, trying to have fun during this process and learn what kind of sound I like out of my speakers. Therefore, I am looking to compare speakers that are different in design and components to see what I like better. I mostly listen to rock and classical music off of CDs. Sometimes jazz/blues. I will be watching TV also, but I am looking for primary music performance for this room, as I have a 5.1 setup upstairs. I want dynamic speakers that stay clear when loud, but are also accurate and have a good soundstage.

I have done a lot of reading and I have a good idea of which speakers I want to order, but I would love any and all suggestions, both on which speakers to try and how best to audition them.

I plan to mostly stick to ID, direct order, brands. They allow anywhere from 30 to 90 day free trial period. I will make the rounds to the local stores, and I actually have a good selection here in Denver, but most do not seem to be agreeable regarding home auditions.

Contenders:

1)Ascend Sierra tower with Raal tweeter ($2700), 30 day trial

I have read so many great things about these speakers that they seem like a no brainer to be at the top of the list in this price range.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srt.html

2)VonSchweikert VR-22 ($2,895), 90 day trial. I heard these at RMAF and was very impressed.

http://vonschweikertaudio.com/vr-22/

3)SVS Ultra Towers ($2,000), 45 day trial. I also heard these at RMAF and liked them. They are not even released yet, so it will be cool to be one of the first to give them a test drive. Plus, they are offering 45 day trial with free shipping both ways.

http://www.svsound.com/ultra-series-speakers

4) Anthony Gallo Classico CL-IV ($2,495), 60 day trial. I am attracted to the idea of a speaker with a large sweet spot and good low freq extension. They seem to get very good reviews.

http://www.roundsound.com/classico-cl-4.php

I would say that I am 99% going to audition the Ascend and the Von Schweikert. The SVS and Gallo are less certain and could be replaced with other speakers.

I have already considered and eliminated the Salk Songtower with ribbon upgrade and the Aperion Versus Grand. The reasons are because the Salk, which I heard and liked very much, is similar to the Ascend but does not play quite as deep and may distort more at loud volumes without a sub. I compared the Aperion to the SVS at RMAF and liked the SVS a bit better.

Other possibilities:

Tekton Pendragon or Lore-S. I have read many good reviews on these, but have not seen any measurements. I did not totally love the sound of the Zu speakers I heard, and these seem similar. Also, they don’t pay for shipping and have a 15% restocking fee. Still, trying out a design with high efficiency and single driver technology might be interesting.

XTZ 99.36. Read a bit on these. A new company in the US. They seem to have good components. Only a 21 day trial.

Emerald Physics CS2P. Totally different design. Open baffle, dipole below 1000Hz, external DSP flattens freq response and lowers -3dB limit into the 20s. Not sure I am ready for these quite yet, as they are definitely different than most regular speakers. Still, they did impress me at RMAF.

As far as B&M models that I am going to audition, the ones that look attractive to me are the Goldenear Triton 2s or 3s, Paradigm Studio 100s or 60s, Kef Q900 or R500, PSB Imagine T, Monitor Audio RX8. Again, I will listen to those and, if I can get a dealer to agree to it, might bring one B&M model home. Of these, I am most interested in the Goldenear Triton 2s.

So, do you like the 4 I have listed? Should I replace any? Which ones am I missing? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

When I do get them all in my room, probably in January or so, I will start a new thread to post lots of pics and my listening impressions.

Thanks!

p.s. I am starting a similar thread over at Audioholics

See less See more
#203 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...e-contenders-for-a-shootout/180#post_22976604

Why? I thought the OP preferred the SVS's aluminum dome over the RAAL (Phil2)?

Ohh sorry, I didn't read the whole thread, but remember earlier in the thread that OP couldn't get Ascend RAAL towers due to availability or did I get threads mixed up?

#204 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...e-contenders-for-a-shootout/180#post_22976604

I'm getting very cornfused. First off, who's "OP"? Is that tweet talk or something? The person who started this is NewHTBuyer, and he couldn't get the Ascends to audition because there were no RAAL teeters available. I'm in the same position right now--I can't get any until the end of the month. Second, NHTB's preference for the SVS was based on its voicing and extension in the bass range. I think just about everyone found the Phil's more neutral, open and transparent in the upper mids and highs.

#205 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...e-contenders-for-a-shootout/180#post_22976842

I'm getting very cornfused. First off, who's "OP"? Is that tweet talk or something? The person who started this is NewHTBuyer, and he couldn't get the Ascends to audition because there were no RAAL teeters available. I'm in the same position right now--I can't get any until the end of the month. Second, NHTB's preference for the SVS was based on its voicing and extension in the bass range. I think just about everyone found the Phil's more neutral, open and transparent in the upper mids and highs.

OP stands for original poster i believe. References NewHTBuyer since he started the thread.

#206 ·

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsnoob10  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...e-contenders-for-a-shootout/180#post_22976338

Before you shut off your brain, may be you should check with Dave at Ascend one last time to see if the RAAL tweeters are back in stock.

The Ascend is a good suggestion, because I did like the high end on the Phil's better than the SVS. But, for now, that ship has sailed. I don't really have any more free time for careful audition. Also, I suspect the low end on the Sierra towers might not be enough for me without a sub.

#208 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...e-contenders-for-a-shootout/180#post_22977159

The Ascend is a good suggestion, because I did like the high end on the Phil's better than the SVS. But, for now, that ship has sailed. I don't really have any more free time for careful audition. Also, I suspect the low end on the Sierra towers might not be enough for me without a sub.

NHTB: I am sure you looked for Ascend Sierra Towers owner in your neighborhood but if not for Towers, try to audition Sierra-1s for bass response and that should give you some basic idea even though Towers have slightly modified woofers and actually has two of them, Sierra-1's one of the best qualities is it's low end response. I run my towers without sub for music and I would say I dont miss sub for anything except the lowest pushing content.

#209 ·
I don't quite understand why people are still insisting the OP audition more speakers, He is clearly happy with the SVS and although I thoroughly read and understood this entire post, I still don't know what I want to do LOL!!!

I am trying to unload my B&W CM5's and Centre and this whole time I was thinking about the Sierra towers (with RAAL) until I read more about the Phils, but I only make my 1 year old listen to classical music because I am raising him to be the next Ian Anderson. I personally really only listen to Rock (prog, alt, metal, etc) but I love fusion jazz and salsa or most latin jazz so that really screws me in deciding between a phil or SVS, Ascend, Salk or even Aperion Versus Grand although I do use that room for home theater but more and more I find myself listening to more 2 channel music 75% and 25% HT

I love a great sound stage and get a serious audio boner when the speakers magically disappear, I mean who doesent??? I have a sub as well so getting the deep lows isn't an issue and my set up isnt close to side walls but distancing them up to two feet would be an issue since I do have an open walk way next to the left channel.. I really wonder if the Phil's can't blow me away with heavier music??

#210 ·
I don't think people are actively suggesting that the OP audition additional speakers (aside from the last post in this thread, which is nearly two months old). You would likely be happy with either of the speakers you listed, but try to audition as many as you can before buying. In addition, please note that there was a clarification: the Phils, which I have and love, do not, I repeat, do not need to be two feet from the wall. This erroneous statement made by me prior to buying the Phils was corrected by Dennis and others in this thread.

#211 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthecrate  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...e-contenders-for-a-shootout/180#post_23171147

.....I love a great sound stage and get a serious audio boner when the speakers magically disappear, I mean who doesent???.......

You should also check out Soundfield Audio

http://www.soundfieldaudio.net/

Your above description fits them perfectly. I have a pair of the Monitor 1 (discontinued) that put out an amazing soundstage and easily disappear.

#212 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthecrate  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...e-contenders-for-a-shootout/180#post_23171147

I don't quite understand why people are still insisting the OP audition more speakers, He is clearly happy with the SVS and although I thoroughly read and understood this entire post, I still don't know what I want to do LOL!!!

I am trying to unload my B&W CM5's and Centre and this whole time I was thinking about the Sierra towers (with RAAL) until I read more about the Phils, but I only make my 1 year old listen to classical music because I am raising him to be the next Ian Anderson. I personally really only listen to Rock (prog, alt, metal, etc) but I love fusion jazz and salsa or most latin jazz so that really screws me in deciding between a phil or SVS, Ascend, Salk or even Aperion Versus Grand although I do use that room for home theater but more and more I find myself listening to more 2 channel music 75% and 25% HT

I love a great sound stage and get a serious audio boner when the speakers magically disappear, I mean who doesent??? I have a sub as well so getting the deep lows isn't an issue and my set up isnt close to side walls but distancing them up to two feet would be an issue since I do have an open walk way next to the left channel.. I really wonder if the Phil's can't blow me away with heavier music??

My advice is probably worth just what you're paying for it. Nevertheless, I'll opine here for you.

I've auditioned models from all the manufacturers that interest you (plus many more in-house, e.g. Aerial Acoustics, ACI, JBL, Selah, Usher, etc.), though not necessarily all of the specific floorstanding models that interest you. You will not hear a day and night difference amongst them. They're all fine speakers, and they all do what quality speakers are supposed to do. However, there will be audible differences and music-specific influences that you could detect using the A/B method of comparing models.

Let's agree that your own ears and serious (A/B) auditioning on your part is the only way to cleanly answer your dilemma. That said, I believe that the Phils come closest to "disappearing", probably due to the open back/bipolar design of the mid/tweeter section. You can tune them to your specific tastes and setup. And if by "heavier music" you mean the salsa, fusion, jazz, and refined rock...yep, the Phils will do it for you. If you want production of hard rock, loud and party-style speakers, stick with Cerwin Vega or some such.

Finally, note that I could be a fanboy for RAAL tweeters. I've had a love affair with them since they first came out. For my ears, there is no cleaner, more effortless tweeter in existence. But again, that's JMO, FWIW.

And I think the search for the speakers you really want to spend your hard earned cash on is the exciting part of this hobby. Each new speaker heard is filling with anticipation and a challenge in discovery. So enjoy the ride.

#213 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...e-contenders-for-a-shootout/210#post_23171458

You should also check out Soundfield Audio

http://www.soundfieldaudio.net/

Your above description fits them perfectly. I have a pair of the Monitor 1 (discontinued) that put out an amazing soundstage and easily disappear.

Those Monitor 2s look real interesting. I'd love to hear them. This is AJ's company? Will he be at RMAF?

#214 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTorious1  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...e-contenders-for-a-shootout/210#post_23171894

Those Monitor 2s look real interesting. I'd love to hear them. This is AJ's company? Will he be at RMAF?

Yes, its AJ.

Not sure if he will be at RMAF. I'm hoping he will be at CAF so I can hear the Monitor 2.

#215 ·
@Mudslide- I appreciate the info and FWIW it helps along the way of the undecidedness of this sport? I currently am running the B&W CM5 with the Centre and although, I am not impressed with the center at all, I do enjoy the CM5's although I have been wanting to upgrade to towers. Now I sent pics of the phils to the boss (wife) and her reaction was, and I'll quote "WTF is THAT? You have been online reading about speakers again haven't you? Over my dead body will you be putting THOSE in our living room" So I supposed Phil's are out of the question LOL

Living in Los Angeles should give me the upper hand in availability of hearing other speakers from fellow AVS'rs and hell, I am even considering taking a ride down to ascend to meet dave and crew. In fact, I KNOW I am going to do this after hearing some rave reviews of his Horizon center but, I will still check out soundfield audio's website as well..

#217 ·
How soon is soon?

#218 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthecrate  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...e-contenders-for-a-shootout/210#post_23176506

@Mudslide- I appreciate the info and FWIW it helps along the way of the undecidedness of this sport? I currently am running the B&W CM5 with the Centre and although, I am not impressed with the center at all, I do enjoy the CM5's although I have been wanting to upgrade to towers. Now I sent pics of the phils to the boss (wife) and her reaction was, and I'll quote "WTF is THAT? You have been online reading about speakers again haven't you? Over my dead body will you be putting THOSE in our living room" So I supposed Phil's are out of the question LOL.

Here is a pic of the new Philharmonic offering. Definitely NOT a "WTF it THAT" moment.

#219 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthecrate  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...e-contenders-for-a-shootout/210#post_23176506

@Mudslide- I appreciate the info and FWIW it helps along the way of the undecidedness of this sport? I currently am running the B&W CM5 with the Centre and although, I am not impressed with the center at all, I do enjoy the CM5's although I have been wanting to upgrade to towers. Now I sent pics of the phils to the boss (wife) and her reaction was, and I'll quote "WTF is THAT? You have been online reading about speakers again haven't you? Over my dead body will you be putting THOSE in our living room" So I supposed Phil's are out of the question LOL

Living in Los Angeles should give me the upper hand in availability of hearing other speakers from fellow AVS'rs and hell, I am even considering taking a ride down to ascend to meet dave and crew. In fact, I KNOW I am going to do this after hearing some rave reviews of his Horizon center but, I will still check out soundfield audio's website as well..

Since you are in LA, consider going to Riverside and check out the Von Schweikert VR-22. I really liked them at RMAF.

#220 ·

Quote:

I am even considering taking a ride down to ascend to meet dave and crew. In fact, I KNOW I am going to do this after hearing some rave reviews of his Horizon center

Definitely recommended, but if you can't get down to the factory I'm in the Valley and can demo the Horizon and Towers for you.

#222 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTorious1  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...e-contenders-for-a-shootout/210#post_23177058

We anxiously await pricing, but hopefully in the coming weeks.

I'm still hammering out details, but the plan is to offer a version with decent fit and finish equivalent to the Phil 3's for around $2,800/pr, and one with world-class finish for $500 more. I think you can understand that it simply isn't possible to provide a 100% domestically fabricated 3-way speaker with a Scan Revelator woofer, a RAAL tweeter, and a no-holds-barred crossover for less than that. I'll have final word in a couple of days.

#223 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...e-contenders-for-a-shootout/210#post_23176678

Here is a pic of the new Philharmonic offering. Definitely NOT a "WTF it THAT" moment.

Oooh that looks delicious!!! I wonder is Murphy is gonna offer that in a piano black to match my kuro

#224 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...e-contenders-for-a-shootout/210#post_23176761

Definitely recommended, but if you can't get down to the factory I'm in the Valley and can demo the Horizon and Towers for you.

What valley Holt? San Fernando I hope!! I'm in northridge.

#225 ·
"Oooh that looks delicious!!! I wonder is Murphy is gonna offer that in a piano black to match my kuro."

If you mean "I can see myself in the mirror-grade black glossy finish", the answer is noooooooooo--a thousand times nooooooooooooooo. Unless you want to pay something like $1200 for hand polishing.

#226 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...e-contenders-for-a-shootout/210#post_23177293

If you mean "I can see myself in the mirror-grade black glossy finish", the answer is noooooooooo--a thousand times nooooooooooooooo. Unless you want to pay something like $1200 for hand polishing.

Dually noted Sir Dennis and personally I'd rather put fourth that 1200 towards more gear and ask the wife for the hand polishing !!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.