AVS Forum banner

$2,000-3,000 Tower speaker comparison: Need help picking the contenders for a shootout

35K views 240 replies 60 participants last post by  The Murderousone 
#1 ·
It is my turn to ask advice from all the experts.

I am getting close to upgrading the speakers in my basement. It will be a 2.0 channel room, no subwoofer planned at this time, and I am looking at getting full range floorstanding speakers in the price range of $2,000-3,000.

The room is 17 feet wide by 16 feet deep with 7.5 foot ceiling. I will sit about 11 or 12 feet back from the front wall. I will be powering the speakers with a Harmon Kardon HK3490, 120wpc, stereo receiver. I also plan to do some room treatments (separate budget).

I have read many threads here and I hope to do what many people recommend. I plan to bring in 3-5 different sets of speakers at the same time in my own home so that I can compare and end up with the set I like the best. I am also, as a relatively new enthusiast, trying to have fun during this process and learn what kind of sound I like out of my speakers. Therefore, I am looking to compare speakers that are different in design and components to see what I like better. I mostly listen to rock and classical music off of CDs. Sometimes jazz/blues. I will be watching TV also, but I am looking for primary music performance for this room, as I have a 5.1 setup upstairs. I want dynamic speakers that stay clear when loud, but are also accurate and have a good soundstage.

I have done a lot of reading and I have a good idea of which speakers I want to order, but I would love any and all suggestions, both on which speakers to try and how best to audition them.

I plan to mostly stick to ID, direct order, brands. They allow anywhere from 30 to 90 day free trial period. I will make the rounds to the local stores, and I actually have a good selection here in Denver, but most do not seem to be agreeable regarding home auditions.

Contenders:

1)Ascend Sierra tower with Raal tweeter ($2700), 30 day trial

I have read so many great things about these speakers that they seem like a no brainer to be at the top of the list in this price range.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srt.html

2)VonSchweikert VR-22 ($2,895), 90 day trial. I heard these at RMAF and was very impressed.

http://vonschweikertaudio.com/vr-22/

3)SVS Ultra Towers ($2,000), 45 day trial. I also heard these at RMAF and liked them. They are not even released yet, so it will be cool to be one of the first to give them a test drive. Plus, they are offering 45 day trial with free shipping both ways.

http://www.svsound.com/ultra-series-speakers

4) Anthony Gallo Classico CL-IV ($2,495), 60 day trial. I am attracted to the idea of a speaker with a large sweet spot and good low freq extension. They seem to get very good reviews.

http://www.roundsound.com/classico-cl-4.php

I would say that I am 99% going to audition the Ascend and the Von Schweikert. The SVS and Gallo are less certain and could be replaced with other speakers.

I have already considered and eliminated the Salk Songtower with ribbon upgrade and the Aperion Versus Grand. The reasons are because the Salk, which I heard and liked very much, is similar to the Ascend but does not play quite as deep and may distort more at loud volumes without a sub. I compared the Aperion to the SVS at RMAF and liked the SVS a bit better.

Other possibilities:

Tekton Pendragon or Lore-S. I have read many good reviews on these, but have not seen any measurements. I did not totally love the sound of the Zu speakers I heard, and these seem similar. Also, they don’t pay for shipping and have a 15% restocking fee. Still, trying out a design with high efficiency and single driver technology might be interesting.

XTZ 99.36. Read a bit on these. A new company in the US. They seem to have good components. Only a 21 day trial.

Emerald Physics CS2P. Totally different design. Open baffle, dipole below 1000Hz, external DSP flattens freq response and lowers -3dB limit into the 20s. Not sure I am ready for these quite yet, as they are definitely different than most regular speakers. Still, they did impress me at RMAF.

As far as B&M models that I am going to audition, the ones that look attractive to me are the Goldenear Triton 2s or 3s, Paradigm Studio 100s or 60s, Kef Q900 or R500, PSB Imagine T, Monitor Audio RX8. Again, I will listen to those and, if I can get a dealer to agree to it, might bring one B&M model home. Of these, I am most interested in the Goldenear Triton 2s.

So, do you like the 4 I have listed? Should I replace any? Which ones am I missing? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

When I do get them all in my room, probably in January or so, I will start a new thread to post lots of pics and my listening impressions.

Thanks!

p.s. I am starting a similar thread over at Audioholics

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
Salk SongTowers at $2,000 represent one of the best values in audio today, in my opinion. I listened to those SVS Ultra towers, and didn't think there was even a comparison for music. The Salks blow them away in terms of imaging, soundstage width, clarity, and especially top end airiness (I like to describe this as "sparkle" for lack of a better word).

Cheers,

Chad

#5 ·
^^^ Did you take the time and read what the OP wrote...he has heard both and already eliminated the Salks....

#6 ·
I agree with the above (My Salk STs should arrive in the next week or two); but there is no trial program because Salk custom builds.

Personally: I'd recommend trying to find a way to audition them anyway; but given his criteria I think he's got a good selection to chose from.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22549959

I agree with the above (My Salk STs should arrive in the next week or two); but there is no trial program because Salk custom builds.

Actually there is, provided they are not one of the higher end models and you go with a standard veneer. Salk offers the same 30-day trial period as the other ID companies.

There, now you've heard from both the biggest Ascend and Salk fanboys all in one thread (me and Billy P, although cschang is the likely the biggest Ascend fanboy).

The OP heard the Salk's at the show, and he is a really good guy. He's ruled out Salk's for his own personal reasons, and there is nothing wrong with that.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22549959

Personally: I'd recommend trying to find a way to audition them anyway; but given his criteria I think he's got a good selection to chose from.

JerryLove is now a B&W and Salk owner?

You must tell us how they compare.

#10 ·
I totally missed that Salk was ruled out in the OP. Sorry for the tangent.

I need to get an amp that will properly operate the 801N's to compare correctly. Given that I'd be comparing the 18k 801N (which has a huge LF advantage) to a $3k ST with 4" drivers; I suspect it will be a bit apples-and-oranges.

I could compare the 801 Matrix III's; but I could almost do that in my head now before I can set them side-by-side.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22550057

Actually there is, provided they are not one of the higher end models and you go with a standard veneer. Salk offers the same 30-day trial period as the other ID companies.

There, now you've heard from both the biggest Ascend and Salk fanboys all in one thread (me and Billy P, although cschang is the likely the biggest Ascend fanboy).

The OP heard the Salk's at the show, and he is a really good guy. He's ruled out Salk's for his own personal reasons, and there is nothing wrong with that.
LOL!! Yes...but you are the biggest fanboy of us all.

From one fanboy to another, you forgot to point out that the 30 day trial period for the Salks is just for standard finishes.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22550064

The Ascend Sierra RAAL towers have the 30-day trial? Very nice.
Yes, they do.

If you get something non-standard, such as a matching center, but with non-standard dimensions, I don't think those have a 30 day trial.

#13 ·
First off, thanks for all the replies. I am at work, so I can't address all the recommendations until later when I get home, but I did want to address the Salk Songtower issue.

Originally my budget was $2,000. I was thinking of the normal Salk Songtowers, the normal Ascend Towers, the Aperion Versus Grand, the new SVS, etc. Then I heard the SCSTs and the VR-22s at RMAF and I stretched the budget to $3,000. But, I know for my tastes, I would need a subwoofer to add to the SCSTs, and the minimum sub I would consider is the SVS SB-12 ($650). So, that would put me closer to $3,500. Also, my HK receiver has sub pre-outs but no bass management. That would mean the towers would be essentially set a "large" and the bass might be muddy. I could get an external high pass filter like the one Hsu makes, but that adds even more to the cost. So, I decided, unfortunately, that the SCSTs were not for me. That is why I listed the Ascends with the Raal. They should be close to the Salks in the mid/highs and have better oomph.

I did consider the normal Salks with the SVS sub, since that cost is about the same as the SCSTs (amazing that a tweeter upgrade costs the same as a whole sub, but that is a topic for another day.
). But, I would still have the issue of no bass management. Plus, I really much preferred the sound of the ribbon on the SCSTs vs. the Hiquphon tweeter on the Bud Fried speakers that were right next door at RMAF (the same tweeter in the normal Songtower), so that also does not make much sense.

Anyway, that was my thought process.

On a sidenote, Jim Salk was super nice and I really respect his products and personalized business model. If I really get into this hobby and upgrade later in life with a bigger budget, the HT2-TLs or SS8s will definitely be on my list.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22550393

LOL!! Yes...but you are the biggest fanboy of us all.

From one fanboy to another, you forgot to point out that the 30 day trial period for the Salks is just for standard finishes.

I'd say it's a tie. I don't moderate at the Salk forum, nor is my avatar the Salk logo. But I am guilty as charged.

Oh, and I did NOT forget to mention the trial period is for the standard finishes only. Re-read my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22550057

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22550531

So, I decided, unfortunately, that the SCSTs were not for me. That is why I listed the Ascends with the Raal. They should be close to the Salks in the mid/highs and have better oomph.

They definitely have more punch than the SongTower RT's (dunno about the SC-ST's); they'll have less extension than what you heard at RMAF with the SC-ST's, though, at least based on specs/ratings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22550656

How about the Revel Performa F32" It's not terribly efficient, but I have a room slightly bigger than yours and my F52s have no problem playing loud and clear from ~9' away. You may even be able to find a used pair of F52s in your price range.

I was going to recommend those and something from Kef, but it seems he's limiting his choices to brands with a liberal return policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22550579

Hi. I have enough parts for one more pair of Philharmonic 2's in the black satin cabinets for the original price of $2000/pr. I could give you return privileges on those. if you're interested, e-mail me at info@philharmonicaudio.com

Whoa- this is a game changer in my opinion. I would take advantage of this offer is I was you, NewHTBuyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22550210

I totally missed that Salk was ruled out in the OP. Sorry for the tangent.

I need to get an amp that will properly operate the 801N's to compare correctly. Given that I'd be comparing the 18k 801N (which has a huge LF advantage) to a $3k ST with 4" drivers; I suspect it will be a bit apples-and-oranges.

I could compare the 801 Matrix III's; but I could almost do that in my head now before I can set them side-by-side.

It's two 5" drivers Jerry. Jeez, get it right. LOL - just messing with you man.
I look forward to your comparison. The last time I directly compared my Salk's to B&W was a pair of 805D's that TJHUB brought over to my house. I think we all know which speakers he ended up keeping and ordering (psssst: he ditched the B&W's almost immediately).
The 801N's though - wow, very cool, man. Based on what I've read many consider them "the" speaker. Are you looking to replace them or are you just comparing for fun?

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22550842

I'd say it's a tie. I don't moderate at the Salk forum, nor is my avatar the Salk logo. But I am guilty as charged.
A tie? We should have a vote. LOL! ...and I can say that I didn't man a room at RMAF for Salk designed product.
My avatar isn't an Ascend logo...it's the beach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22550842

Whoa- this is a game changer in my opinion. I would take advantage of this offer is I was you, NewHTBuyer.
Why is that a game changer? Based on what you told me in the past, it shouldn't be. Unless you are just referring to bass output.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22550579

Hi. I have enough parts for one more pair of Philharmonic 2's in the black satin cabinets for the original price of $2000/pr. I could give you return privileges on those. if you're interested, e-mail me at info@philharmonicaudio.com

Dennis, thanks for the offer! I will definitely email you tonight!

Also, I mistakenly referred to the Supercharged Songtowers. I thought that meant with the upgraded tweeter, not realizing that was an entirely different speaker costing $3,500. I can't afford that right now.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22550946

A tie? We should have a vote. LOL! ...and I can say that I didn't man a room at RMAF for Salk designed product.
My avatar isn't an Ascend logo...it's the beach.

Why is that a game changer? Based on what you told me in the past, it shouldn't be. Unless you are just referring to bass output.

Okay - I'll get the vote poll started right away...in the Salk thread. LMAO - just kidding. Billy is the one with the Ascend logo I was referring to buddy.

Correction, I manned a room for a Bud Fried designed product; a company who Salk Communications does the design and manufacturing for.

Yeah - I was talking about the bass output. The OP is looking for a 2.0 system, and those Phillies have some serious bass slam and depth. Also, to be fair, the pair I heard arrived back in DC damaged, so...

Anyway, back on topic.

#20 ·
Interesting that Listen Up wouldn't let you do an in home evaluation. One of their guys tried to loan me a Musical Fidelity amp at their Boulder store.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a pair of Danley horns and JBL LSR 6332s. They're a little different from standard towers.

#21 ·
Nope. The original price on the Phil 2's was 2,000. Now that he's sourcing his cabinets from a custom shop, the price has gone up. I think the Phil 3's may have been 2,900 at one point before going to $3k but the 2's were definitely $2,000 (which is a steal btw).

#22 ·
Why hasn't anybody suggested maggies!

The Magneplaner 1.7s are only 2000$ and that means you'd have some cash left over to buy a new amp (magnepans are power hungry, i used to power mine with an old adcom gfa-555 200wpc)
http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_16

and as far as a comparison goes i think you'd be very well served to check them out for at least nothing else than to have a wider variety of speaker types. listening to magneplanar speakers can be a whole different experience, and who knows you may fall in love with em.

#23 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I love seeing all the suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybenz  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22549245

Philharmonic 2?
Quote:

I scheduled a call to Dennis Murphy for Monday. The Phil 2s were the most recommended speaker so far here and over at AH. I am really excited about possibly getting the pair he mentioned from the older cabinet style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMovieNut  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22549615

If you are seriously considering Gallos then you might want to think about buying used.
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-anthony-gallo-reference-3-5-loudspeaker-2012-10-17-speakers-34741-kissimmee-fl
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-anthony-gallo-reference-3-5-black-2012-10-17-speakers-90502-torrance-ca

Cheers,

OldMovieNut

I have not thought much about used, mostly b/c I am not sure how to tell if a speaker is in good condition and I tend to like warranties on big purchase items. That being said, I will definitely check out the posts you linked and look at Audiogon a bit closer. maybe I can find some in Denver so I can inspect before I buy (not necessarily just Gallo).
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22550656

How about the Revel Performa F32" It's not terribly efficient, but I have a room slightly bigger than yours and my F52s have no problem playing loud and clear from ~9' away. You may even be able to find a used pair of F52s in your price range.

It seems like there are no dealers near me. But I will check out the used market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22551123

Interesting that Listen Up wouldn't let you do an in home evaluation. One of their guys tried to loan me a Musical Fidelity amp at their Boulder store.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a pair of Danley horns and JBL LSR 6332s. They're a little different from standard towers.

Well, I have not yet actually gone in to each store and confirmed this, but from chatting with most of the stores at RMAF, it seemed like they favored you listening at their place. I plan next week to start going to the local stores and listening a bit and then I will see what I can work out with them. i did buy some stuff at the main ListenUp store in Denver in 2008 for my HT setup, so that might help. I still keep in touch with the salesman. I am hoping he will let me demo the Triton 2s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evazan  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22551343

Why hasn't anybody suggested maggies!

The Magneplaner 1.7s are only 2000$ and that means you'd have some cash left over to buy a new amp (magnepans are power hungry, i used to power mine with an old adcom gfa-555 200wpc)
http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_16

and as far as a comparison goes i think you'd be very well served to check them out for at least nothing else than to have a wider variety of speaker types. listening to magneplanar speakers can be a whole different experience, and who knows you may fall in love with em.

For some reason, I have never been a fan of these type of speakers, but that is really not based in anything rational. There is a dealer near me, a pretty high end dealer, that I think carries Magnepans. I do plan to check them out, but I would probably need a sub with these also. Plus, although the amp on the HK is rated pretty good, I have read that these really need juice.

So, assuming all goes well talking with Dennis on Monday, I will probably sub the Phil 2s in for the Gallo CL IV on my list. Plus, will check out the used market and start hitting the local dealers.

The first step on my adventure has begun.....

I still welcome any more suggestions/discussion.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer  /t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speake...g-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22552531

I have not thought much about used, mostly b/c I am not sure how to tell if a speaker is in good condition and I tend to like warranties on big purchase items. That being said, I will definitely check out the posts you linked and look at Audiogon a bit closer. maybe I can find some in Denver so I can inspect before I buy (not necessarily just Gallo). It seems like there are no dealers near me. But I will check out the used market.

Well, to put your mind at ease a bit, I purchased my Gallo Ref 3.1 fronts, A'Diva Ti surrounds and an Adcom 7705 power amp through audiogon in 2009 and couldn't be happier. I haven't had a single problem. The Gallo reference series speakers are built like tanks (they are metal after all, except for the base) and can handle lots of power so I wouldn't worry about it.

Gallo does offer a 60 day in home trial with the purchase of a Classico series speaker, so I would take that into account before eliminating then from consideration if you choose to purchase new. There is nothing like being able to hear speakers in your own listening environment.

Cheers,

OldMovieNut

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.