Speakers or a Soundbar? Due to width limitations. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-05-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a long narrow room with a large (7 ft wide) opening in the middle of it on one of the long walls. My proposed screen location for a HT is to the left of that opening on the same wall as the opening. That wall is 8'2". I'd like to have a 100" screen put there. That leaves only about 3" on each side of the screen. The room is 13x21 with a 9.5' ceiling height.

I guess I have a few options:

1. Use small satellite mains for R/L so they would fit in those small gaps, with the left main being up against the wall.
2. Use an acoustically transparent screen and put in wall speakers inside of the width of the screen.
3. Lift my screen height high enough to put floor standing towers under the screen or still use in wall speakers, just under the screen.
4. Use a soundbar instead of traditional box speakers.

Which is my best option?

Or, do I switch the orientation of the room and project the length of the room and have that big opening to my right as I watch. If I did this, the wall behind the couch would be half of the room length away. What would I do with the surrounds? Stands for surrounds would just get in the way, so where would you put them? And how is that opening going to affect stuff?

It's not an ideal room but it's what I have.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-05-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
#2 would be best IMHO with the current orientation - you can get really nice in-walls with the right budget.

Switching the orientation allows you to consider way more speaker options. And the couch wouldn't necessarily be that far away, if you got tower speakers, placed them a couple feet from the wall and had your AT screen in front of that (possibly on a false wall) that would eat up 4 or 5 of those 21 feet.

Also, a projector might have an easier time filling a 100" screen if it was more that 11 1/2 feet from it (but I am no projector expert; be interested in what the best distance to hae the PJ from a 100" screen was).

For the rears, you could always have a table the height of the back of the couch behind it with them on top.

post #3 of 3 Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, thanks for the answers.

My PJ needs about 11.5' to throw a 100" screen.

There is a back door in the wall on the end of the room where my screen would go if I changed orientation. I'm going with a electric pull down in either case, so it's not really an issue. I figure I'll pull a curtain across the back of the room to make it look nice when I lower the screen in front of it. This is a dual purpose room, and the screen isn't going to fit into the day to day decor, according to the wife...

My current surrounds are some Klipsch Synnergy's. They are triangular, and really need to be wall mounted.

So are you saying that an in-wall speaker within a foot or two of that left wall in the current orientation wouldn't be a big deal? Also, how do your mains sound inside of the width of the screeen, I would imagine that you lose some separation, but is it noticeable?
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page