Klipsch heritage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 11-05-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know if there's anyone out there with good knowledge of klipsch speakers but here's my situation. I currently have a pair of speaker lab K-horn clones with an upgraded tweeter. Best $600 I've ever spent and ill never get rid of them. However I'm looking at a new apartment and it would not allow me to place them properly. So I'm looking to see what I can find on the used market that would give me some of the same sound I've been used too. Would a pair of Herseys and an svsub be terribly disappointing to me? Are the Cornwalls worth searching for? What about the Forte's I'm seeing plenty of at good prices?

I love this stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 123

Depending on how retentive you are...  LaScalas mated with a sub might give you the closest performance.  I say that because they have the horn loaded bass bin like the Khorn.

That said, I happen to think a pair of Heresy's and a sub would also sound great.  I think it just depends if you are sensitive to the differences in the direct radiator bass verses the horn loaded bass.

post #3 of 18 Old 11-05-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

btw, I don't mean any disrespect when I use the word retentive.  Some folks are deeply into details and others are more casual about details.

post #4 of 18 Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm a fairly critical listener, I was in the av industry for some time. I definitely understand the difference between getting my bass from the speaker and a sub, but the svsubs are more difficult to localize. I haven't had a chance to listen to much of the heritage line but can't imagine going to another sound now. Especially since I don't want to make a marge investment into speakers right now. That's why the lascalla is out. I'm kinks k focusing on ther heresy. Maybe Cornwalls and the forte. I know next to nothing about the forte and how it's sound compared to the heritage line though

I love this stuff!
post #5 of 18 Old 11-05-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I guess I understand that ill be making a (necessary) compromise I'm just trying to minimize it as best I can

I love this stuff!
post #6 of 18 Old 11-05-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Also have a look at the kg series. I have la scalas but have listened to the kg. They are not as good of speakers as mine or other heritage series I have heard, but they are pretty close and much smaller than the la Scala. Much cheaper also. I have a friend in Nashville selling a pair of 5.2 in your price range. They are very close to the heresy. I have listened to all of the heritage, reference, synergy, thx, and a lot of the professional line. In an apartment I would suggest the reference just for space issues but only for that. Cost would not work. If you can fit them look for the biggest heritage you can afford. Sell your car and squeeze some jubilees in there!
post #7 of 18 Old 11-05-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Haha it's not that I don't have the money it's that nothing will beat what I already have (and only paid $650 for) so I and see spending anything more than that on a pair that will just end up as surrounds in a finished basement in a few year haha. I've owned more expensive speakers before by far and sold them because I can't beat what I have in those K-horn clones

I love this stuff!
post #8 of 18 Old 11-06-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just thought I'd bump...

I love this stuff!
post #9 of 18 Old 11-06-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

Also have a look at the kg series. I have la scalas but have listened to the kg. They are not as good of speakers as mine or other heritage series I have heard, but they are pretty close and much smaller than the la Scala. Much cheaper also. I have a friend in Nashville selling a pair of 5.2 in your price range. They are very close to the heresy. I have listened to all of the heritage, reference, synergy, thx, and a lot of the professional line. In an apartment I would suggest the reference just for space issues but only for that. Cost would not work. If you can fit them look for the biggest heritage you can afford. Sell your car and squeeze some jubilees in there!

BS. You biased turd.
Your friend's wife is already pi$$ed at you for trying to fill his house with speakers.

Signed,
Your Ex Best Friend

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
post #10 of 18 Old 11-07-2012, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
In reading your post, you are concerned about placing them properly. I assume you mean having them snug in the corners and that wont work in your new place. One thing people do when they don't have good corners is to build a false corner on the back of their k-horns. If that is the case you can do a search on the Klipsch forum and see examples of that and possibly, continue to use the ones you have.
Regards
post #11 of 18 Old 11-07-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's actually more of an issue of sheer size and distance between the speakers relative to th listener. The backs are already sealed. Thanks for the suggestion though

I love this stuff!
post #12 of 18 Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I use a pair of Klipsch Epic CF3's. They are also pretty big, though not as big as yours. They have a powerful, smooth and balanced sound, play beautifully at low volume, have a deep bass response and can slam like a concert monitor when cranked up. My brother uses Chorus 11's. They are also a great speaker and are worth a listen.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-07-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I found a guy locally who has a pair of Forte i's with crites x-overs, and Cornwalls with crites x-over as well as upgraded mid and HF horn... anyone familiar with these upgrades?

I love this stuff!
post #14 of 18 Old 11-08-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Bob Crites knows what he is doing. The crossover upgrades usually involve new higher grade capacitors along with some other bits. The HF horn upgrade I am not sure about as far as what he uses but I would imagine he uses a larger and/or heavier driver. I will try and look but I would think greater HF range and possibly greater sensitivity.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-08-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Quote:

BS. You biased turd.
Your friend's wife is already pi$$ed at you for trying to fill his house with speakers.

Signed,
Your Ex Best Friend

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Next time I get a line on a truckload of used imax speakers I am using your place for storage! Tell the wife I am coming and hell (300 pairs of speakers) is coming with me!
post #16 of 18 Old 11-09-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In an apartment I would suggest the reference just for space issues but only for that.

Oh poo!!! wink.gif

I'm currently in an apartment.  I've got two working Jubilee's across the front and a LaScala (not working yet) in the center.  Then, just to make sure I've ticked off every last single neighbor I have, I have two (yes, 2) Danley DTS 10's in here.  I have however, given my neighbors a break....  I have two Crown K2's but instead of dedicating a single Crown per Danley, I use a single one and each Danley gets a channel so they only have about 450 watts available to each of them.

As if that weren't enough, I've got a pair of MWM's in my spare bedroom.

Wha???  you don't agree that every apartment dweller needs 4,000 pounds of speakers? 

Pity the fool who comes to visit and spend the night.  They stay in the spare bedroom on an air mattress.  Who's got space for a bed when you have other priorities?

You should hear my alarm clock.......(little Dark Side of the Moon action with the chimes)

biggrin.gif

post #17 of 18 Old 11-09-2012, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coytee View Post

Quote:

In an apartment I would suggest the reference just for space issues but only for that.

Oh poo!!! " id="yui_3_7_3_1_1352475857570_1064" rel="http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/smilies/wink.gif">wink.gif

I'm currently in an apartment.  I've got two working Jubilee's across the front and a LaScala (not working yet) in the center.  Then, just to make sure I've ticked off every last single neighbor I have, I have two (yes, 2) Danley DTS 10's in here.  I have however, given my neighbors a break....  I have two Crown K2's but instead of dedicating a single Crown per Danley, I use a single one and each Danley gets a channel so they only have about 450 watts available to each of them.

As if that weren't enough, I've got a pair of MWM's in my spare bedroom.

Wha???  you don't agree that every apartment dweller needs 4,000 pounds of speakers? 

Pity the fool who comes to visit and spend the night.  They stay in the spare bedroom on an air mattress.  Who's got space for a bed when you have other priorities?

You should hear my alarm clock.......(little Dark Side of the Moon action with the chimes)

biggrin.gif

You missed my earlier post where I suggested the jubilees!
post #18 of 18 Old 11-10-2012, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

No I didn't.  I just wanted you of all people to appreciate that there is someone nutty enough out there to have two Danley's in an apartment, and yes, they are both hooked up!

wink.gif

According to the meters on my amp, I usually hit peaks of .05 watts.  Regardless of the accuracy of the meters, the leg muscles on these speakers are not being stretched very far.

I'll admit I'd love to totally disrespect my neighbors for an afternoon and have some wall shaking fun.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page