AVS Forum banner

Cross post from AVR, New house, need to find a receiver and speakers, totally new at this

723 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  h2ojunkie 
#1 ·
Just moved into a new house with my wife. The living room already has a set up for 5.1 surround sound wired into the walls. I do not have a receiver, nor do I know about them. I will mainly be playing everything off of a media center computer with HDMI out and we do have an Xbox as well.

link to a gallery with the current layout[/URL]

I'm in the US, west coast. Looking for the two front speakers, a sub and a receiver to make it all work. I would think my budget would be around $500, but I am open to suggestions.

Below is the suggestion for the AVR. leaving me some money to play around with for the speakers. Any idea what the current speakers I have are? If needed how would I investigate the actual model of the speaker, or does it matter? Not very picky, i just want the system to sound even with the speakers I have to buy and the existing ones I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1437747/new-house-need-to-find-a-receiver-totally-new-at-this#post_22561669

First, you'll likely want to seriously consider rotating your couch counter-clockwise 90 degrees and center the main listening area between the in-ceiling surround speakers. Next, stop by and visit the Best Buy stores in your area as they are clearing out last year's models and will likely have great deals on AVRs, speakers, and subs. Last year's Denon 1712 is going for $199 or lower in some stores.

So then, $200 for the AVR leaves $300 for the FL/FR speakers and sub. Here's one option ....

8" Subwoofer (Monoprice) - $57 http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090602&p_id=8248&seq=1&format=2

FL/FR Speaker pair - $200 http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TSi100-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00192KF12/ref=sr_1_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1352212951&sr=1-3&keywords=polk+bookshelf+speaker+pair+%3C+%24200

Total cost - roughly $500

You may also want to take your speaker budget into the "Speakers" forum for more suggestions.

#2 ·
I understand 5.1 on a budget, been there many years ago. Try to buy a Denon or Yamaha(there are other stable brands) HD AVR that has the most power (WPC) for your budget. Later when you can afford to upgrade your speakers you have the power to do this. My AVR I have now is a bit more expensive but I can use it as a Pre/Pro and hook up a seperate amp with more power to it. For the amount you have to spend you will have to settle for entry level equipment that will start out OK in the new room. Better then a flatt screen speakers. Do move the sofa in front of the TV so when you set in the center of the sofa and you are looking at the center of the TV.

You really need to go listen to some speakers you can afford and decide what brand sounds the best for your budget. Blurays HD audio HDMI will demand a lot out of the AVR amps. Do Not stack anything on top of your AVR or amps and in some cases install a fan to keep them cool. Jdsmoothie posted some good advice for the budget you have to work with. I can't see clearly what the logo is one the speaker grill in the ceiling. I would remove one and look at it (on the back there should be it's specs) to see what ohmn and watts per channel it requires. Good Luck welcome to the forum. Do a search here as AVS has a list of AVR they have bench tested.... a good read to learn about the good and the not so good on AVR's.

#4 ·
 The 2 in ceiling speakers are Pinnacle K8 I took one down and googled the writing on the back of the speaker.

The center speaker I would assume is the NXG NX-W5.2-LCR-P

No idea what they sound like as I don't have anything to play through them or at least I think I don't. Are these good? I probably won't buy the front left and rights for a while (other things in the house to buy first) But I will probably pick up a sub and the receiver first.

Suggestions on a sub?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.