Best 5.1 set up for around $2500 (not including sub-woofer) - Thoughts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-07-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok audio gurus, I am seeking your help/advice for speakers for my new living room set-up. I recently purchased a Panasonic 65vt50 and a Denon 4311. I am in the process of researching speakers for a 5.1 set up. I already have the sub-woofer. This will be used almost exclusively for movies and tv. Very little music.

Please help me choose the speakers for a 5.1 set up (again, I already have the sub-woofer) with pricing around $2500. I am open to bookshelves or towers for the fronts. Room is about 18x15.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-07-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 199
There are tons of decent or better speakers out there. You'd be better off searching the previous million other similar threads first and then if still need be, come back with a more precise question or set of questions.

Plus, include seating distance, window locations, doors, openings into other rooms and other physical aspects of the room which may impact what sort of speaker design might be better given those particular circumstances. Also, what is your willingness to add physical room treatments (absorption, diffusion) and willingness to add more than one subwoofer, both of which can have a significant impact upon the quality of sound in the room in terms of evening out the response. The room itself is as important and sometimes even more important than your choice of speakers. Its impact can be that profound upon the resulting sound you will hear. If you are unwilling or unable to add treatments and have a difficult room, this might alter what sorts of speakers you should be considering. Some speakers are designed to interact less with room boundaries, which is a good thing when no treatments are installed or there are poor acoustical aspects to the room.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-07-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

There are tons of decent or better speakers out there. You'd be better off searching the previous million other similar threads first and then if still need be, come back with a more precise question or set of questions. Plus, include seating distance, window locations, doors, openings into other rooms and other physical aspects of the room which may impact what sort of speaker design might be better given those particular circumstances. Also, what is your willingness to add physical room treatments and willingness to add more than one subwoofer, both of which can have a significant impact upon the quality of sound in the room. The room itself is as important or sometimes even more important than your choice of speakers. It can have that much profound impact upon the resulting sound you will hear. If you unwilling or unable to add treatments and have a difficult room, that will impact what sorts of speakers you should be considering.
???????????? Better than what.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-07-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 551
http://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=687&crid=243&cat_name=Klipsch+Home+Theater+Systems

These are a great deal and probably can even get them cheaper plus a free sub to do with as you please. If you sell it your system is even cheaper. Love my RFii's!!

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #5 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

???????????? Better than what.

decent.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Buy a pair of Def Tech BP8060STs for $2K and get an 8040 center and a pair of 8040 surrounds for free.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #7 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 10:32 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Buy a pair of Def Tech BP8060STs for $2K and get an 8040 center and a pair of 8040 surrounds for free.

Where can you get that deal?
post #8 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
post #9 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I have a pair of Gallo Acoustics CL-3 speakers at one home that are quite incredible. They come very close to the sound quality of my Vandersteen 3A speakers at my other (larger) home, but only cost $1700 per pair.

A 5-channel system consisting of a pair of CL-3 speakers, a pair of CL-1 speakers, and a CL-C center speaker would cost you $2800. IMO this setup will outperform most $4000-5000 systems in every way!

You can order this system direct from the company in California, and get a 60-day ABSOLUTELY FREE trial, since they will fully refund and also pay shipping both ways if you return them.

I will bet, however, that they don't spend a lot on return shipping. I can't imagine anyone hearing them and not falling in love.

There is an excellent review article that talks about them in the July/August 2012 issue of the Absolute Sound, and also one at AVGuide.com
post #10 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 552
A little over budget at $2750, but you could get the Monitor Audio Silver RX set up. RX6's, RX Center and RXFX Surrounds. AA runs specials from time to time, might get a better price. Great setup for the buck!
post #11 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Thanks guys! Keep'em coming.

Cruel:
As far as my room in concerned, it is my living room and I will not be making any room treatments (absorption, diffusion). The room is about 18*15*9. It is open on the right side (like a C shape) to the kitchen. My couch is placed against the rear wall and the surrounds will have to placed behind the couch on the rear wall (they cannot be placed on the side walls due to the shape of the room. There is a media niche in the front of the room that is 2 feet deep and runs almost the entire length of the room.

Cchunter:
I was looking at the Klipsch RF82ii package previously. I am glad to hear that you like yours.

Kini and Kid:
That Def Tech deal seems pretty good and would come in under budget. Do either of you have any experience with the Def Tech's?

Comm:
I will check out the Gallo's. Thanks!

Reef:
Thanks for recommending the Monitor Audio's. I will look into them.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 03:37 PM

Liked: 10

KidHorn, thank you very much. I have some 15-year-old Technics speakers that this would replace perfectly. The left/right are similar to the 8060's in that they are a subwoofer paired with a regular speaker, the surrounds are just barely adequate, and the center is just meh. Thing is my stand won't accommodate the width of that center channel speaker easily. But that can be remedied.

Anything else you'd like to add? I don't know anything about Definitive. My receiver is a nice new (as of last year) Pioneer Elite VSX-52.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by idodvrc View Post

Thanks guys! Keep'em coming.

Kini and Kid:
That Def Tech deal seems pretty good and would come in under budget. Do either of you have any experience with the Def Tech's?

Here's a review. The system has a larger center and surrounds but should give you an idea of the towers performance.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/review-definitive-technology-bipolar-supertower-speaker-system

I demoed the 8040STs a while back and thought they sounded really nice.

I just don't think I have enough room for them or I would give them a go.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page