Kansas City speaker g2g and barbecue in the park - November 2012. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which day is is best for you? Pick both dates if either will work.
Sat 11-17 3 60.00%
Sun 11-18 2 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 11-16-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 550
We have another KC enthusiast who has pm'ed me that he'd like to attend, especially to hear the JTR Neosis speakers. His forum handle is Kcboom. I've updated the first post again.

God smiled on us for the weather. 61* and sunny for tomorrow! Doesn't get much better for mid November!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jedimastergrant needed back out. So one more down. I'll update the first post.

Randy and I will get to shelter #7 at about 9:30 AM to setup is the plan.

By the way - the bathrooms in KCMO parks get closed down for winter at the end of October. This is basically a woodsy area so you can do what you feel comfortable within the privacy of the woods --- or just drive to the nearest facility if you have to use the restroom. But figured that is worth mentioning.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #33 of 43 Old 11-17-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just completed a really enjoyable day. Getting ready to unload the gear. Thanks to everybody who came Thanks to Jeff for sending the Neosis speakers to audition. I enjoyed getting to hear everything, and reconnect with some old friends and a make a new friend! I'll post up some impressions later. Each speaker auditioned was great, but the JTR Neosis ruled the day. If you can front the ticket price the ride is definitely worthwhile!

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #34 of 43 Old 11-17-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Great time, surprisingly my ears aren't ringing. LOVED THE NOESIS!!!! I'll post more later.

Thanks Archaea for setting this up, I had a great time and the weather was very nice for mid November. I'd never done anything like this before, very glad I did.
post #35 of 43 Old 11-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
We had a great time. The new JTR speakers are really something special. Thanks to Archaea for taking the time to set everything up and bringing all of his equipment and the food and cooking and and and you get the idea. Thanks to everyone else that came. It was a lot of fun.

I enjoyed all the speakers that were there today. However the Noesis were great. Like all JTR products I have heard these things never give up. Being a drummer I have never heard a speaker reproduce the sound of a drum set as good as these. The ED's are still a ton of fun and a fantastic value. The Procella's sounded good but were not able to produce the same level of output as the others. The highs were very clear and detailed. We didn't have them mounted on a wall so it's not completely fair to judge them.

This was very fun and being outdoors made the experience quite a bit different from anything I've done before.

One last note the caps were fantastic! Given the fact we were outside, the level of output they can handle is quite amazing to me.
post #36 of 43 Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Really sorry I had to back out. I would like to hear what people thought and you guys should post the same reviews in the Official JTR thread as well. There is a Procella thread too.

I enjoyed them both in very different environments and conditions.
post #37 of 43 Old 11-18-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

The Noesis are incredible. As soon as I arrived and walked up to them I could tell I was going to like them. They were playing at a pretty low volume at that point but the music sounded so good. I'm not good at describing what I like when it comes to audio, but they have this natural/crispy/effortless/draw you in sound that I fell in love with even before we really started cranking them up.

The Procellas didnt' get a fair shake I don't think. Hearing them after the Noesis you could tell that the outdoors wasn't the best place to audition these speakers. I felt like they were struggling to play what the Noesis played with ease. I felt like the mid-bass was gone and I wanted more high end sizzle/sparkle/whatever with these speakers. Like I said, not a fair comparison outside I'm guessing.

It was great to finally meet Randy, super nice and friendly guy. I'd love to hear his theater sometime, it's been the talk of the local KC boys for sometime now. I bet I have a completely different impression of his speakers in his room.

My speakers had SOME of the same characteristics as the Noesis but it's like saying.... Dwayne Bowe has some of the characteristics of Jerry Rice. Everything my speakers do well the Noesis do better, and everything my speakers struggle with the Noesis do not.
We hooked up my 1 eD 12 and 1 Noesis at the same time. Standing back it all souded fantastic, and it seemed like the eD had more high frequency energy even though they were level matched. However, when you walked up closer to the speaker it became apparent as to why this was the case. The CD on my speaker had a harshness to it that the Noesis did not. That must have made it seem louder at a distance, that harshness. Standing right up close next to my speaker made me make a wincing face, doing the same to the Noesis made me smile. The eD sounded boxy, and like a speaker. The Noesis sounded like the real thing.

There were plenty of times when I walked up to my speaker that it sounded great and I thought, oh good there is no way the Noesis will sound better when I walk over to it... DAMMIT... I was wrong every time.

For awhile Archaea was playing tracks form VLC player. We all noticed how horribly harsh my speaker sounded and how the Noesis did not, however Archaea discovered that the VLC players volume was set on 117 percent so it was distorting the signal.

Why my speaker didn't handle that and the Noesis did says something, but I'm not sure exactly what that means. It was a HUGE difference though with those tracks that were accidentally played at 117 percent volume.

I was a little bit depressed last night, it had always been my experience that I could put my money on subs and that the differences in speakers didn't matter much to me. That is no longer the case.

I was as impressed with the Noesis as I was the Cap and Subersive the first time I heard them as well as the Orbit Shifter crank fest in the 130 mid db's. These speakers may actually be Jeff's best creation yet!!

Thanks so much for setting everything up Archaea, great time.
post #38 of 43 Old 11-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

The Noesis are incredible. As soon as I arrived and walked up to them I could tell I was going to like them. They were playing at a pretty low volume at that point but the music sounded so good. I'm not good at describing what I like when it comes to audio, but they have this natural/crispy/effortless/draw you in sound that I fell in love with even before we really started cranking them up.
The Procellas didnt' get a fair shake I don't think. Hearing them after the Noesis you could tell that the outdoors wasn't the best place to audition these speakers. I felt like they were struggling to play what the Noesis played with ease. I felt like the mid-bass was gone and I wanted more high end sizzle/sparkle/whatever with these speakers. Like I said, not a fair comparison outside I'm guessing.
It was great to finally meet Randy, super nice and friendly guy. I'd love to hear his theater sometime, it's been the talk of the local KC boys for sometime now. I bet I have a completely different impression of his speakers in his room.
My speakers had SOME of the same characteristics as the Noesis but it's like saying.... Dwayne Bowe has some of the characteristics of Jerry Rice. Everything my speakers do well the Noesis do better, and everything my speakers struggle with the Noesis do not.
We hooked up my 1 eD 12 and 1 Noesis at the same time. Standing back it all souded fantastic, and it seemed like the eD had more high frequency energy even thought they were level matched. However, when you walked up closer to the speaker it became apparent as to why this was the case. The CD on my speaker had a harshness to it that the Noesis did not. That must have made it seem louder at a distance, that harshness. Standing right up close next to my speaker made me make a wincing face, doing the same to the Noesis made me smile. The eD sounded boxy, and like a speaker. The Noesis sounded like the real thing.
There were plenty of times when I walked up to my speaker that it sounded great and I though, oh good there is no way the Noesis will sound better when I walk over to it... DAMMIT... I was wrong every time.
For awhile Archaea was playing tracks form VLC player. We all noticed how horribly harsh my speaker sounded and how the Noesis did not, however Archaea discovered that the VLC players volume was set on 117 percent so it was distorting the signal.
Why my speaker didn't handle that and the Noesis did says something, but I'm not sure exactly what that means. It was a HUGE difference though with those tracks that were accidentally played at 117 percent volume.
I was a little bit depressed last night, it had always been my experience that I could put my money on subs and that the differences in speakers didn't matter much to me. That is no longer the case.
I was as impressed with the Noesis as I was the Cap and Subersive the first time I heard them as well as the Orbit Shifter crank fest in the 130 mid db's. These speakers may actually be Jeff's best creation yet!!
Thanks so much for setting everything up Archaea, great time.

Thanks for the unbiased feedback Carp (and stitch1). I'm glad the weather was unseasonably good and that everyone had a good time. That Archaea guy is one dedicated and unselfish man. Putting the Noesis outdoors may have given them an unfair advantage and I guess their pro audio lineage makes them comfortable in that as well as enclosed environs. I'd like to drag mine outside sometime with an OS just to see ...

Most of your positive comments related to the amazing BMS CD. I have found that is the key to the magic of the Noesis. I also know that Jeff spent a lot of time tweaking the Noesis crossover. He finally decided on going for a very flat FR. He seems to have made the correct decision. cool.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #39 of 43 Old 11-19-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post

We had a great time. The new JTR speakers are really something special. Like all JTR products I have heard these things never give up. Being a drummer I have never heard a speaker reproduce the sound of a drum set as good as these.

One last note the caps were fantastic! Given the fact we were outside, the level of output they can handle is quite amazing to me.

For anyone who liked this track - Carp, KCBoost, Stitch1 - The name of that drummer track was "Boxenkiller" by Cyrill Lutzelschwab and Martin Hess

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #40 of 43 Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well we had a great time. It was a casual affair with good speakers and good people! We listed to quite a variety of music, everything from metal to bluegrass, acapella to techno. Pretty much anything was fair game to audition.

There ended up only being three speakers sets in attendance because I couldn't fit the Wharfedale speakers in the Ranger truck I borrowed with the Captivators, Neosis speakers, and all the electronic gear. I had the cab and bed completely loaded!!!

I hooked up a PS3 for the source along with my laptop for flac and mp3 playback, and 24" sony LCD TV for display. My Onkyo TX-NR1007 was used as the receiver. Randy's Yamaha P3500S amp was used to push the mains, and my Inuke DSP 3000 amp was used to push the Captivators. The shelter house was obviously a bit reflective as you can see in the video based on the concrete floor and stone walls, but all in all it was an enjoyable place to listen to the speakers. The day was nice, weather cooperated, no cops were called and we encountered no trouble at all. It went about as smoothly as could possibly be hoped!

We started and ended the day listening to the Neosis. They are a fantastic speaker. Limitless headroom, super clear airy sound. Unveiled audio at its finest. I really think of all the meets I've participated in and all the speakers I've ever heard these speakers are in the top three, and I don't even know which of my top three I'd most prefer because I've not got to audition them all side by side. Suffice to say, I loved these things! The sound is so clear it sounds as if you are just right there in the midst of the actual artists. They'll take as much volume as you can stand and just stay crystal clear as you turn em up! They are as comfortable at 115dB + as they are at 85dB. By the end of the day we'd knocked all kinds of junk loose off the ceiling which landed on top of my electronics....So even outside in a stone and concrete shelter house you can "bring down the house" with JTR products. These things are as pleasant for the discerning audiophile as they are for next frat house party. I'm planning on heading to carp's house tomorrow night for another audition. In my own room these are the best sounding speakers I've ever had the pleasure to listen to. They didn't sound harsh in the least --- even in my untreated room with a tile floor. They gave me chills on classical music and rocked the house on Jack Johnson. I cannot relay just how transparent these speakers are. Make an effort to audition them for yourself against your own speakers and you'll quickly discover that these are a cut above! They don't sound like speakers. Never boxy, Never small, Always HUGE and transparent sound. We crossed the JTR over at 80hz for this gig.

We listened to the Procella P8 speakers next. I've heard these speakers on a couple occasions now and I think they do really well for dialogue and clarity. They sounded great when we kept the volumes reasonable, but obviously weren't much of a comparison against the JTR when we turned the volume up. They are made to be mounted against a wall Randy said and we had them just out in the open so we upped the crossover to 150hz. They sounded great on some songs and overtaxed on others. They sound awesome in Randy's room. Movie dialogue on his P8's in his treated room is among - if not the best I've ever heard.

We ended listening to the Elemental Designs Cinema 12 speakers. These were basically more like the JTR, but just a class down, if I can keep from mincing words. They had more output capability than the P8 speakers auditioned before but when we switched back to the JTR at the end of the day everyone knew instantly which speaker was superior. Carp is in love with the Neosis and trying to determine if he can/should buy a set. I believe all of us left pretty impressed. The Cinema12's are a great speaker too, especially for those of us more budget restricted, but everything was just a bit less impressive on the Cinema 12 as compared to the JTR. The tweeter seemed to be the weakest link on the ED. Perhaps on upgrade on that component would go a long way. Funny thing is we level matched the ED on the left side to the a Neosis on the right side at one point and then stood back 15 foot and listened in the sweet spot. The ED mostly seemed to be a bit louder, and as you approached the speakers to listen at a closer distance you realized that volume was a bit of distortion when compared to the JTR speaker. If you put your ear right by the ED you'd hear a bit of distortion. If you put your ear right by the JTR you wouldn't. If you liked a guitar lick on the ED, you'd like it a bit better on the JTR. Just they way it was. Given the price difference that's to be expected. Personally I wouldn't have any problem owning the ED speakers, even knowing the JTR are clearly superior in every way. The ED speakers sound great in carps room and I've heard them on numerous occasions in that setting. Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of! We crossed the ED over at 100hz.

Meeting each of the guys again was fun. Thanks for coming everyone and bringing food and drink. We had more than enough of each! It was definitely a good time and perhaps we can plan another event like this next spring or fall.

Here's a couple minutes of video of the event.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #41 of 43 Old 11-19-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Great video man, makes me wish I was still there hanging out and drinking a bit.. well more than a bit. I'm glad you didn't get a video of me hugging the Noesis by the end of the day.

BTW, I was going to go to bed over an hour ago.... just one more song.
post #42 of 43 Old 11-28-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Great video! I would love to come to one of these get togethers as i am in KC quite a bit. Great stuff boys!!!!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #43 of 43 Old 09-09-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'd like to do this again this year, and am working on scheduling something out.

Do we have any interest? Feel free to pm me if you have speakers or subs you'd like to demo for a group of KC home theater enthusiasts.

My JTR Captivators can once again provide sub duty for the mains.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page