Kansas City speaker g2g and barbecue in the park - November 2012. - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which day is is best for you? Pick both dates if either will work.
Sat 11-17 3 60.00%
Sun 11-18 2 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 11-07-2012, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 611
What: Speaker Meet in KCMO park. Hamburger, Brats, Hot Dogs, BBQ and fun. Feel free to bring your speakers to share with other KC enthusiasts. The JTR Neosis speakers will be up for audition as well

When: Saturday November 17th, starting at 10:30AM. (I'll be there early to setup and reserve the shelter house since it is available on a first come basis - feel free to join me earlier if you like. I'll probably arrive around 9AM or so) -- we'll go to whenever people are ready to break it off.

Where: Swope Park Shelter #7
specific post: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438080/kansas-city-speaker-g2g-and-barbecue-in-the-park-november-2012/0_20#post_22582928
Google Map View: --- look how isolated this place is!!!
http://goo.gl/maps/tmSmL

This event weather permitting of course -- current forecast looks good (for this time of year at) at 57* and sunny with no chance of rain!!!! cool.gif

Jeff P. of JTR Speakers is shipping me a demo pair of his new Neosis speakers to allow some of the local KC enthusiasts a listen. The KC gang thought a park environment would be fun, and intended to do a meet like this over the summer, but just never made it happen. The Neosis speakers was apparently just the stimulus we needed to make this happen.

Other speakers in attendance will likely be whatever the local attendees bring and would like to demo. Our typical group has Wharfedale, Klipsch, ED, Procella, Pioneer, etc, and we can listen to other speakers and cycle through demo material however we like. This will be very casual -- no standardized music set list per se. Just whatever people want to demo. Bring your CDs and mp3 players, flac, whatever you want. Any and all music welcome. --- with reservations for carp. wink.gif
I'll bring my Captivator Pro pair to cover sub duty off an Inuke DSP 3000 amp. The mains will run off Randy's Yamaha P3500S amp. I'll probably use my laptop as the audio source to the amps. We'll run all the gear of a shelter house 20amp electrical outlet.

My suggestion for attendees is we each bring a dish, pot luck style. I suggest that the event be family oriented (being that it'll hopefully be in a park), where the wife and kid/s can come out if they like. Please sound off on if you plan to attand, and what food you might bring. We'll barbecue hamburgers, brats and dogs, and just enjoy listening to some speakers and discussing the hobby. The grill will be lit up, if you want steaks or chicken or something bring your own meat. I'll also bring some wood to throw in one of shelter #7's fireplaces. If you have some spare firewood feel free to bring it and throw it into the mix.

Please let me know who can make it and would participate in such an event?

The following people have expressed interest, and hope to attend:
carp, luke kamp, stitch1, randy bessinger, kcnitro07, Kcboom, and Archaea
Anyone is welcome!

Families that might come, including kids carps, jedimastergrants, and mine. Bring yard games if you have them. Some marshmellow roasting sticks. Balls, etc. I'll bring Bocce Ball. Other suggestions?

This park shelter is within minutes of the KC Zoo. If the family comes along and wants to go to the zoo for the afternoon - please feel that is an option as well.

One more note. In the event of Shelter House #7 being occupied, we will have a plan B and plan C shelter house as defined in post 19.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438080/kansas-city-speaker-g2g-and-barbecue-in-the-park-november-2012/0_20#post_22582928

Speakers to be auditioned:
  1. Elemental Designs Cinema 12
  2. JTR Neosis
  3. Wharfedale Sapphire SP89
  4. Procella P8

...and more upon confirmation????... (Klipsch, Pioneer, Jamo etc)

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 11-08-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Pencil in the 3 of us for Saturday. Having early turkey day on Sunday. Our little turkey is almost done so if there are 4 of us by then we will be busy with 2 under 15 months and a newborn.
post #3 of 43 Old 11-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Depending on the time Saturday, the two of us could come out. Crystal (my wife) has a work thing (national adoption day) going on in the morning till 1. We could come late though.
post #4 of 43 Old 11-08-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Randy Bessinger texted me and said he should make it.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #5 of 43 Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 470
I'm in for Saturday (17th), I'll talk to my wife to see if her and the kids will be there. If the weather isn't good I'm going to wuss out though.
post #6 of 43 Old 11-08-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of that, if the weather is bad we will have to plan an indoor meet right?
post #7 of 43 Old 11-08-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If the weather's no good we'll either have to cancel or come up with an alternate location.

Any park suggestions? Ideally it would be a shelter house that's got some distance from other park attractions. Longview Lake, Smithville Lake have shelter house like that - which are very isolated. I'm going to go exploring this week and try to find the best place. 50* temps won't be too bad (current 10 day prediction). If it's raining - then yeah we'll do something alternative.

Any volunteers for a indoor listening space as a plan B?

My rooms not really ideal for speaker listening. I have no treatments and my tile floor makes for a very aggressive sound on forward speakers...so I'd prefer a different room if the weather looks to be too bad.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #8 of 43 Old 11-08-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Plan A is to listen to speakers outside?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #9 of 43 Old 11-08-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yes...

For a change of pace and something fun

Eat outside, bbq together, play bocce ball, lawn darts whatever -- just relax with a beer and a bratwurst or what not. Listen to music on different speakers and enjoy good company.

I think the Neosis speakers will be briefly touring in several KC people's homes before making their next stop in Des Moines Iowa -- for the enthusiast gang there. Jeff's got the tour lined up for these speakers!!! biggrin.gif

You can read indoor impressions here
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/5340_20#post_22568696

and here
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434901/northeast-october-20th-gtg-results-thread/0_20

among other places....including near future reports from some of the KC, and Des Moines gang.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #10 of 43 Old 11-08-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

yes...
For a change of pace and something fun

That will be interesting.

Make sure you have good amps...with no reflections or reinforcement, you will need more power to get a good comparison listening levels.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #11 of 43 Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Señor Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

That will be interesting.
Make sure you have good amps...with no reflections or reinforcement, you will need more power to get a good comparison listening levels.

In case you missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWznxY4CmI4

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #12 of 43 Old 11-08-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I called and checked - Jackson County park shelter houses are free this time of year = BlueSprings Lake, LongView, and Lake Jacomo but they all have policies that they don't allow more than battery powered boomboxes for audio, nor do they have electricity at their shelter houses I was told. True?

Claycomo County parks have some nice shelter houses but they all cost, same with Johnson County parks - from what I can tell.

KC MO parks have electrical outlets, and I've left a message to determine their policies, but haven't heard back yet. There are a ton of them. I'll have to spend some time this evening looking them up to see which might work? (is a bit more remote than some of the others.)
http://www.kcmo.org/CKCMO/Depts/ParksandRecreation/ShelterReservations/index.htm

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #13 of 43 Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

In case you missed it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWznxY4CmI4
In case you missed it: biggrin.gif
Quote:
. . . the triple 8 is a passive speaker. It was being powered by a Lab Gruppen (behind the bushes lol).

It takes a lot of power, even with high efficiency, for that kind of output outside.
post #14 of 43 Old 11-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

In case you missed it: biggrin.gif
It takes a lot of power, even with high efficiency, for that kind of output outside.

Yup, Jeff sold that LG amp and he is very sorry he did...

HToM

post #15 of 43 Old 11-08-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I won't be able to attend because I am on the other side of the world, but I would vote for the 18th cuz it's my birthday. tongue.gif
post #16 of 43 Old 11-08-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think we may use Randy's Yamaha p3500s or perhaps an ep4000 for the mains.

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/poweramps/ps_series/

I'll most likely just bring the inuke dsp 3000 for the bass.

at a park if we trip the breaker it might be game over and I don't think our goal is getting the cops called, but rather just a fun afternoon.

We also have a crown xls 5000 but they have a nasty habit of tripping 20 amp breakers when powering the caps... tongue.gif

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #17 of 43 Old 11-09-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good news!

KCMO parts dept called back today and said only the parks that have fees listed have electricity
http://www.kcmo.org/CKCMO/Depts/ParksandRecreation/ShelterReservations/index.htm

However,

This time of year they aren't taking any reservations - it's first come first served --- and bonus --- there is no cost to any of the shelters this time of year. (I confirmed they do leave the electricity on)

So basically look at the URL above KC guys and let's figure out which park shelter house we want to use. I get there early and setup shop so that the shelter house is ours.

Any of you KC Guys off work monday (like me) and want to drive around to these parks and see which one looks good?

If not ---

I'm thinking the Zoo Area might be a nice place because then if your family comes and the wife and kids want to skip out to the zoo it'll be close, and give the gents some additional time to hang out and listen to various speakers. But I don't really know many of these other park area locations, so if you see something that's clearly preferable -- let me know.

I'll probably find a couple shelter houses in the same area that look good and we'll have a Plan A, Plan B Shelter house (in case there are others there), and then perhaps a rainout plan C?
Code:
SHELTER
[B]North District  [/B]  
Barry Road Park 7601 NW Barry Road
Chouteau Greenway  NE 43rd and Chouteau
Hodge Park 7000 Northeast Barry Road
Penguin Park   North Vivion Road and North Norton

[B]Central District   [/B] 
Blue Valley  23rd Street and Topping
Loose Park 51st and Wornall
Spring Valley  27th Street and Woodland

[B]South District    [/B]
Bandstand  Swope Park, Pavilion Road
Shelter 2  Swope Park, Starlight Road
Shelter 3  Swope Park, Pavilion Road
Shelter 4   Swope Park, Starlight Road
Shelter 5  Swope Park, Zoo Drive
Shelter 7  Swope Park, 7500 Oldham Road
Shelter 8 Swope Park, Loop Road
Shelter 10 Swope Park, 5650 E. Gregory Boulevard

Clark Ketterman  107th Street and Skiles 

Darter Park 105th Street and Hillcrest

Minor #1 1500 E. Red Bridge 

Sunnyside Park W. 83rd St. and Summit

Tower Park   75th Street and Holmes

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #18 of 43 Old 11-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Señor Member

Partly cloudy and 50 degrees.... let's have a picnic!...

What are you guys, British? tongue.gif

HToM

post #19 of 43 Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

KCNitro07 and I drove through Swope Park tonight to try to find the best shelter house for our g2g this weekend. This is the order of shelter Houses that we chose. All have 20amp outlets and verified working power.
Plan A) Shelter house #7
Plan B) BandStand
Plan C) Shelter house #3

Here is a map of Swope Park
http://kcmo.org/idc/groups/parksandrec/documents/parksrecreation/swope_park_brochure09.pdf

Plan A, Shelter House #7 is in the bottom right corner of the map
Plan B and C , the Bandstand and Shelter House #3 are in the top left corner of the map

Here are some pictures of Shelter #7
Shelter 7 - Swope Park, 7500 Oldham Road

We liked this one because there is absolutely NOTHING around it. There is a large BBQ grill, and two fireplaces on each end of the shelter. The Shelter house has six picnic tables and our group could easily hold the shelter house against 'invaders' so to speaker where some of the bigger shelter houses, like the bandstand, are so large that you could probably put four unique groups in there and you'd not be crowded. There isn't much for the kiddies to do around this shelter house, but there is lots of flat land, where if they had a ball they could kick it around for a long way. With the two fireplaces we could have a place to roast marshmellows, or a hotdog if the kids wanted to do that. (assuming kids are even coming).

Here is google maps
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hillcrest+and+oldham+intersection+google+maps&ll=38.987849,-94.516443&spn=0.003226,0.005284&hnear=Oldham+Rd+%26+Hillcrest+Rd,+Kansas+City,+Jackson,+Missouri+64138&t=h&z=18

Here is streetview
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hillcrest+and+oldham+intersection+google+maps&ll=38.988163,-94.516154&spn=0.003226,0.005284&hnear=Oldham+Rd+%26+Hillcrest+Rd,+Kansas+City,+Jackson,+Missouri+64138&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=38.988163,-94.516154&panoid=vptUR6MZeoRM17KjrYNdZQ&cbp=12,206.61,,0,0

Walking in from the road. there is nothing at all around this shelter.
IMG-20121112-00012.jpg

A look to the right
IMG-20121112-00011.jpg

Inside the shelter looking right
IMG-20121112-00010.jpg

Inside the shelter looking left
IMG-20121112-00009.jpg

Behind the shelter - a creek, and a steep hill behind that with absolutely nobody to bother
IMG-20121112-00007.jpg

Back to the creek facing towards the road
IMG-20121112-00006.jpg

another facing the road
IMG-20121112-00005.jpg

facing left with back to the creek
IMG-20121112-00004.jpg

Shelter House BandStand
Bandstand Swope Park, Pavilion Road

We loved this one, and how cool would it be to demo the JTR Neosis Speakers at such an open ampitheater type setting? But the reality is that this place is huge -- it probably seats 500 easy with floor space and we couldn't maintain that much floor space without other random people coming in and taking over a picnic table or something and not even feeling like they were intruding. It's huge. There is 220 power there, 120 power there, and probably 50+ picnic tables. It's sooo cool though that I had to make it Plan B. biggrin.gif Another problem here is that it is at the top of a hill, and there is no protection from the wind at all, so if it is cold and windy that day - it won't be fun.
IMG-20121112-00017.jpg

here it is on google maps
http://goo.gl/maps/Mvql2

Shelter House # 3
Shelter 3 Swope Park, Pavilion Road

This is a good Plan C. It's a smaller shelter house. It is close to the bandstands, but also reasonably far away from anyplace that would likely complain. There are two children's playgrounds immediately next door to the shelter house. This is the best pick for families, but Plan A, is the better shelter house for uninterrupted speaker auditions. This might get chosen over Plan B, if the weather is bad, because this shelter house offers more protection from the wind. These two shelter houses are within visual distance of each other so if Plan A is out, we can quickly tell which of these two we will use and the attendees won't have to spend all day driving around the park looking for the shelter house we are meeting.
IMG-20121112-00015.jpg

here it is on google maps.
http://goo.gl/maps/kqat1

I'll make up a poster/sign that clearly says AVSForum G2G so people will clearly know we are or aren't at one of these three shelter houses. I'm leaning towards hosting this meet Saturday because I think that's the day that works to the most people I've talked to through PM. I'm only aware of one guy who isn't available Saturday. MrSmithers....frown.gif But MrSmithers heard the Neosis speakers in the Omaha meet, and has heard other JTR equipment before, and will likely even demo the Neosis in his own house --- so all is not lost.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #20 of 43 Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Weather looks good at current forecast! - 57* and sunny - no chance of rain zip 64129!

I updated the first post with the most current meet info.

Event will start at 10:30AM on November 17 -- I'll be there by 9AM to start setting up and reserve the local -- come earlier if you like, come late if you need.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #21 of 43 Old 11-13-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I like option 3 since it has a playground area but all 3 options look pretty good. Are we going to get the Noesis speakers in time?
post #22 of 43 Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A few more notes on the sites.

Shelter 7 is lower in elevation and surrounded by trees. Probably won't warm up as quickly as the current low from the night before is 32-34 degrees and there will be less sunlight and its lower elevation and the fact that there is a creak running next to it will all factor into lower temps, probably 1-2 degrees cooler at any given point. However, because there are trees and its a small shelter, there is likely the least amount of wind factor. The current projection for wind speed is SSE at 9 MPH. Also, the shelter itself is fairly small and has a fireplace at each side which could be used for warmth if needed. As Archaea said, there is no playground equipment for children, but large open spaces could be used for footballs, soccer balls, frisbees, or yard games. Shelter 7 is also directly next to Oldham road, which is surprisingly fairly busy at certain times during the day (we were there between 5 and 6 on a working day for most, it serves as a route home for lots of raytowners that work in the midtown/downtown areas). This should be less of an issue on Saturday I'd think.

The bandstand is at the highest point and offers little protection from the wind, but being higher up, it will likely heat up from the sun a bit faster than Shelter #7. As Archaea said, its very large and IF people were out on Nov. 17th looking for a shelter, we probably would have trouble keeping it. Its not terribly far from the shelter #3 and the play ground equipment. it probably offers the closest to an outdoor venue for accoustics.

Shelter #3 is a solid choice, its probably 600 feet from 63rd street so you can hear cars driving, but its not that loud. It was a bit larger than #7, but is also more open to wind.

post #23 of 43 Old 11-14-2012, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Randy Bessinger confirmed he is coming and bringing a pair of Procella P8s. First post updated.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #24 of 43 Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Are we going to get the Noesis speakers in time?

Fedex says "delivered" biggrin.gif
post #25 of 43 Old 11-14-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Delivered they were! cool.gif Though I could only fit one in my car at time. I'll have to bring the second one home tomorrow. These things are crazy big in the shipping boxes, and over 100lbs. The shipping dept laughed at me when I told them I didn't have a truck. They didn't even think I'd be able to fit a single unit in my car --- but it did! Laid flat in the back seat. My trunk is too small to carry a second, as is the front passenger seat. Perhaps if they are unboxed two would fit in the grand prix. I'll know saturday.

Jeff did you ever think about making a smaller, lighter speaker? tongue.gif
This thing is a brute to move and I'm a bigger guy.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #26 of 43 Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

Delivered they were! cool.gif Though I could only fit one in my car at time. I'll have to bring the second one home tomorrow. These things are crazy big in the shipping boxes, and over 100lbs. The shipping dept laughed at me when I told them I didn't have a truck. They didn't even think I'd be able to fit a single unit in my car --- but it did! Laid flat in the back seat. My trunk is too small to carry a second, as is the front passenger seat. Perhaps if they are unboxed two would fit in the grand prix. I'll know saturday.
Jeff did you ever think about making a smaller, lighter speaker? tongue.gif
This thing is a brute to move and I'm a bigger guy.

That's another reason to get sealed. I got the LCR's into a Volt ...

Oh and they are lighter but not much so if this old man could carry them up two flights of stairs, you should stop your whining ... tongue.gifwink.gif

On a serious note, I think it is very cool you guys are doing this. All the prep work for an event like this takes time and you guys are great to do it. I hope the weather is good and everyone has a great time. cool.gif

HToM

post #27 of 43 Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

I think you should take them to the park in a white van. biggrin.gif
post #28 of 43 Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That white van speaker deal has really made it's way around DD.

So I'd like to approximate more of a head count.

rboster wrote and said he needed to back out of this event...

My wife,Megan, and I will be bringing hamburgers, hotdogs, and brat and buns/condiments. And marshmellows! Paper Plates, plasticware, perhaps a pack of soda and a couple bags of chips.

How many would like to have burgers, brats, hotdogs/ will be there over lunch hour?

Is this a safe headcount?

(4) carp and wife + 2 kids
(4) Jedimastergrant + 2 kids
(4) Archaea and wife + 2 kids
(2) stitch1 + friend
(1) Randy Bessinger
(1) Luke Kamp
(1) kcnitro07

=11 adults and 6 kids?

assuming all are showing up for, or would like some grilled meat.

Does anyone else plan on bringing food or drinks?

I'd say BYOB if that's your thing!

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #29 of 43 Old 11-15-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

We'll bring some kind of dessert/cookies whatever and some cash to help out with the expenses Archaea since, as usual, you are doing the heavy lifting.
post #30 of 43 Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, and I would say 2 hamburgers and 2 hot dogs total for the Carpenter clan.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page