Burning smell on Sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-08-2012, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All - I received my MLT 2 system from NewEgg today. The sub had a small crack near the legs and I have decided to keep it. After connecting everything, I ran the Yamaha YPAO and it emitted some hums through the sub. However, I am unable to notice the presence of the sub when I play any music. Also, I smell a slight burning smell when I go near it. Is this normal since it is new? How do I verify that the sub is in the right working condition and make sure that the bass kicks in? Also, how do I fine tune the speakers for a more optimum sound effect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-09-2012, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 14 Old 11-09-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
When a sub is properly set up and level adjusted you should not be aware of it, if you are it's either too loud or the setup is wrong. When you turn it off its absence should be obvious.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-09-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Every time I've run ypao, the sub was not noticeable. The problem is YPAO decided my fronts were good enough and didn't use the sub. You'll need to go into the menu and set the fronts to small and maybe play around with other settings too.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-09-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Use an mp3 player or burn a CD with one of the various sub test tones or audio test tone CDs. Play a low hz tone, like 50 or 60 hz. It's a lot easier than trying to just use a music CD.

http://www.ronelmm.com/tones/

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtestsaudiotesttones_index.php
post #6 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The smell is pretty common with new electronics breaking in. (At least it has been for me.) Let it play for a while and see if it goes away.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #7 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 09:17 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post

Hello All - I received my MLT 2 system from NewEgg today. The sub had a small crack near the legs and I have decided to keep it. After connecting everything, I ran the Yamaha YPAO and it emitted some hums through the sub. However, I am unable to notice the presence of the sub when I play any music. Also, I smell a slight burning smell when I go near it. Is this normal since it is new?
It sounds defective to me. My advice is to send it back. You should notice an obvious difference when it's turned on and you should not be smelling a burning smell. This thing must have took some shipping damage. Send it back.

I once bought an Infinty sub that had hardly any output. I sent it back promptly. If I plunk down a decent chunk of change on a sub I better be able to feel the difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post

It sounds defective to me. My advice is to send it back. You should notice an obvious difference when it's turned on
Only if it's connected right and the receiver is set right. It's easy for anyone to overlook something. It's worth checking first.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I can definitely tell when my sub is on and when it is off. It's hard to miss the lack of anything below 90Hz...

As for the burning smell - I've been around enough new electronics to know that while they do make a "new electronics smell" for the first little while, they don't smell like they're burning.

With the crack near the legs it sounds like it's been dropped in shipping. I'd be returning it.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

I can definitely tell when my sub is on and when it is off. It's hard to miss the lack of anything below 90Hz...
As for the burning smell - I've been around enough new electronics to know that while they do make a "new electronics smell" for the first little while, they don't smell like they're burning.
With the crack near the legs it sounds like it's been dropped in shipping. I'd be returning it.

Well i can live with the crack near the leg. I would hate returning since i feel in the long run it might increase the cost for all of us. And i have already set up everything. So its going to be a PITA to unwire everything. Is there any conclusive way to determine that the sub is not broken. Also i can only smell the burning smell if i take my nose very close to the fins at the back. The YPAO auto calibration when it emits the test tone sends the signal to the sub and the sub vibrates. Also i tested some sub tones on you tube and felt the sub with both my hands and ears and i could hear the thumping. Do these determine if its not defective. If this is still not conclusive would anyone know if newegg would be requiring me to return the full set or only the sub?
post #11 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

Also i have set the sub crossover at 110. Should i chang to 90?
post #12 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:

Also i have set the sub crossover at 110. Should i chang to 90?
If you are doing the crossover in the receiver - then set the sub crossover all the way up.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #13 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hello - Does Newegg expect me to foot the cost of return shipping if I notice an issue with the product within the first few days?
post #14 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hello - Does Newegg expect me to foot the cost of return shipping if I notice an issue with the product within the first few days?

I answered my own question in another thread, so ignore.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page