Legacy, RBH, OR Monitor Audio 5.1 set-up? Huge $$$ decison that I do not want to regret. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 56 Old 11-09-2012, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
******** I ADDED THE RBH REFERENCE LINE TO THIS THREAD, AS THOSE ARE NOW A CONSIDERATION AS WELLL**************

Folks, I really apologize for posting so much regarding my speaker selection. The issue is that there are so many out there, that it is difficult to make a decision, and I do not want to have any remorse, especially when spending this kind of money. To make a difficult situation even harder, there are no locations nearby (within a 200-mile radius) that I can audition all of the speakers that I am interested in.

I really enjoy a nice midrange/mid-bass with clear crystal bring highs. I guess that in the audio world I favor brighter more in your face speakers. The speakers will be installed in a relatively small den (14 x10 with 8-9 feet ceiling). Pictures of the den are below (speakers are all gone).

I am using a Denon 4311 as the amplifier and sound processor. Will this receiver provide enough power for what I am seeking, or will I need an external amplifier? If not, would the Emotiva XPA-5 be a good amplifier to drive the system? The system is hooked up with an Oppo DBP 103 and Sony XBR 929 55-inch TV. The power conditioner is a Panamax M5300 PM. Speaker cables are Audioquest Type 2 and HDMI cables are Audioquest Cinnamon series. The bass is handled by an SVS PB12 +2 (one subwoofer box with two 12-inch woofers).

I like a lot of mid-bass/midrange that can blend in with the sub and not leave a gap in the frequency response. I like to listen at loud volumes with no distortion with very bright, detailed, and clear highs. The system will be used for around 50% music and 50% TV and movies, but I LOVE musical speakers, and really crave loud and clean bright high frequencies with a tight and punchy midrange. If not, the bass of the SVS dominates the arena.

Based on the above criteria, what would you select from the systems listed below:

1) Monitor Audio GX300 towers, GX350 center, RXFX surrounds

OR

2) Legacy Classic HD towers, Silverscreen center, and Deco as surrounds

OR

3) RBH Reference SX-8300/R towers, SX-661C/R center, SX-44/R surrounds (WILL NOT BE ABLE TO AUDION THESE, AS RBH HAS NO DEALERS WITH INVENTORY)

By reading the specs on the RBH, it appears like they are power hungry, and operate at a lower sensitivity, almost making an external amp a ncessity? The 6300/R towers would suit my needs a lot better, but they are out of cabinets until next year.

The MA’s are rated at 8 ohms while the Legacy at 4 ohms. The Legacy’s also have a higher rated sensitivity. Does this mean that they will play louder with less amplification, even at 4 ohms? Will the Denon 4311 handle 4-ohm duties?

I had the opportunity to listed to the Monitor Audio GX 300 towers and fell in love with the midrange and highs. I just wish that it had another 6 ½ inch driver. They are rated to operate as low as 30 hertz and go all of the way up to 60K in the high end. I have NOT had the opportunity to listed to Legacy as of yet.

PS: I was also considering the Aperion Grand set-up, but they are out of the surounds until next year. I do not believe that they are in the same league as the ones mentioned above?

HT 2 10 08 12.jpg 251k .jpg file

HT 10 08 12.jpg 202k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HT 2 10 08 12.jpg (250.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg HT 10 08 12.jpg (202.0 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 11-09-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 56 Old 11-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Both make a great speakers I would listen to both first and see witch you love the most.
post #4 of 56 Old 11-10-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
which ones do YOU like better? fwiw, you've got a few contradictions in your desires... wink.gif

the 4311 should drive either one, assuming you don't live in an auditorium... and if it won't, you'll need much more power than the emo could give you...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #5 of 56 Old 11-10-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 353
You've got a 4311 Denon in a small 14 x 10 room. I don't see a problem driving either of those speakers. Plus you've got a huge sub which will handle the low frequencies.

Afro GT
post #6 of 56 Old 11-10-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the replies. Per my past, I was able to audition the GX300 towers, but NOT the entire 5-speaker set-up that I am looking for, as the dealer had non in stock. Mind you that I had to drive 220 miles each way to a dealer that had any stock of the MA GX series. So this is as good as it gets for an audition. Now for the Legacy, I will have to travel 220 miles each way or so as well to audition them, but as with the MA dealer, they ONLY have the Legacy Classic HD towers in stock, and do not have the center or surround channels. So I will have to base my decision basically upon listening to the towers for both brands.

For now, my question is which of the two set-ups are better speakers, regarding the quality and build, and materials used for the cabinets, speakers, tweeters, crossovers, etc...? Has anyone auditioned and/or seen the models that I am interested in person?

Thank you for letting me know that the Denon will provide the power needed to drive either set-up. FYI, the towers will also be biwired, as I will only be running a 5.1 set-up. For those asking for the size of the rooom, please see the two pictures and description in the 1st post.
post #7 of 56 Old 11-10-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

bi-wiring is useless... as is passive bi-amping... don't bother...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #8 of 56 Old 11-10-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

PS: Chris, what are the contradictions in my desires?biggrin.gif Seriously though, I re-read my post and saw none? Am I asking for two much from the set-up? Do I need to compromise somewhere?
post #9 of 56 Old 11-10-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Oh man. I followed my installers recommendation already, and the wires are already ran through the walls and such, so I have no choice now. Are there any drawbacks? Should I remove the wires that are already ran through the walls and through the wall plates, or leave it as is? Prior to the project, and upon my inquries to some speaker manufacturers, most of them did recommend the biwiring.
post #10 of 56 Old 11-10-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

well, i personally wouldn't consider "in your face" speakers to be "musical", but that's one man's interpretation... smile.gif

nope, just leave it the way it is... it doesn't "hurt"... it just doesn't "help"... smile.gif

- chris

post #11 of 56 Old 11-10-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

well, i personally wouldn't consider "in your face" speakers to be "musical", but that's one man's interpretation... smile.gif
nope, just leave it the way it is... it doesn't "hurt"... it just doesn't "help"... smile.gif

Thanks:) Not sure if I described "in your face" correctly either, LOL. They just felt forward, clear, and bright. I listened to Phil Collins DVD last farewell tour in France and to Andrea Bocelli's Blue Ray live in Tuscany. So you feel that the Denon 4311 supplies enough power? I became tempted with Emotiva's holiday sale. The XPA-5 is now $769, and the XPA-3 is $599.00. Really good prices, but of course I do not want to waste money if the separate amplifiers will not make the speakers sound any better or provide any additional benefits. One issue though, per the pictures, is that I do not have any visible room for the amplifier, as the audio/video rack is full. I guess that I could improvise if need be for an external amplifier.
post #12 of 56 Old 11-10-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yea, i think the 4311 will be fine powerwise... i drove more difficult speakers in a slightly larger room with no issues with mine...

gotcha on the description... smile.gif the only thing that really matters is if you like them... smile.gif

- chris

post #13 of 56 Old 11-10-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

yea, i think the 4311 will be fine powerwise... i drove more difficult speakers in a slightly larger room with no issues with mine...
gotcha on the description... smile.gif the only thing that really matters is if you like them... smile.gif

Please fell free to opinionate on the choices. I know that sound is subjective, but perhaps you could comment on the quality of the materials of the drivers, frequency response, ribbon tweeters, cabinets, 4 ohm versus the 8 ohm in relation to how the Denon will handle the load. I was told that the Denon will get really hot with 4 ohm speakers? The dealer that I auditioned the MA GX300 (8 ohm) was only using a 100 watt per channel Marantz to power the towers, center, and surrounds. After 10 minutes or so of auditioning them at higher levels, the receiver was getting too hot and shutting down. I hope that the 4311 does not do the same.
post #14 of 56 Old 11-10-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

unfortunately, i have no real experience with them so can't give any intelligent commentary... frown.gif

in my room (approx 14x16), i could drive my salks to very loud levels for a long time without problem... i tried very hard to out the avr into protection before i sold the amp that i had (bryston 9b-st).... smile.gif

- chris

post #15 of 56 Old 11-10-2012, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

^^^
unfortunately, i have no real experience with them so can't give any intelligent commentary... frown.gif
in my room (approx 14x16), i could drive my salks to very loud levels for a long time without problem... i tried very hard to out the avr into protection before i sold the amp that i had (bryston 9b-st).... smile.gif

Wow, so you were powering your system with the Bryston, then sold the amplifier, and now you power the system just with the Denon 4311? May I ask why you got the amp. and then sold it? Did you have the 4311 before you got the amp, then got the amp, and then realized that you did not need it? Which Salk's do you have?
post #16 of 56 Old 11-11-2012, 04:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

i had the bryston because previous to the 4311 (a100 actually, but the same thing) i was using a pre-pro (a marantz av7005, and previous to that an integra 9.9)... previous to those pre-pros, i was using a pioneer sc-09, and amplifiers i had before had long since been sold, so i need amplification... a bryston was on my bucket list (just cuz i wanted one), so i bought one used...

xt32 was my driving motivator to get the a100, although a strong secondary reason was wanting to go back to a single box solution*... as noted, i drove the a100 very hard when i first got it to ensure that i would not need the bryston... after proving to myself i didn't need it, i sold it...

salks are ht2-tls's, ht2c center, and ht1 custom on-walls for surrounds...

* i had also previously had my "lots of boxes fun" when i had the anthem avm30... i used odyssey extreme monoblocks and an odyssey 3 channel amp with that, driving a setup consisting of b&w matrix 802's for mains, the matching 805 center, and a collection of various speakers for the surrounds...

- chris

post #17 of 56 Old 11-11-2012, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

/\ /\ /\ Clear as water now;-) folks, I please need some input, especially if you have any experience with these speaker models.
post #18 of 56 Old 11-11-2012, 10:56 PM

Liked: 11
I respectfully disagree and believe a separate amp couldn't hurt, and I have an Emotiva UPA-5 and XPA-5, and they both strike me as being quite good. Prior to the Emotiva's I had a Sherbourn 7 channel, 200w/ channel amp that was good too, but the Emotiva's run dead quiet and the Sherbourn had a low-level hum at times (I'm told this was fairly common, but fixable). To my knowledge, Legacy makes some great equipment... but that is by reputation only. www.audioreview.com isn't a bad place to find reviews... Google-ing is also helpful if you don't receive a response here.

www.sierraaudio.com makes some great speakers too, depending upon your price range; there's also internet-direct.

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals."
post #19 of 56 Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

/\ /\ Thanks. Believe me, I have searched the entire internet and read most if not all reviews out there. I will experiment without an external amp at first, and can always add one later, if necessary. My main issue is that I do not have the room fir an amplifier on my rack.
post #20 of 56 Old 11-12-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

OMG, someone just posted a video on Youtube of the Legacy Classic HD on a two-channel set-up. I know that one should not audition or judge speakers via computer speakers, but these sound awesome. Just listen to that high end on these. Below is a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVeJLWg-BGc
post #21 of 56 Old 11-12-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

you were right in thinking that you can't judge by a youtube video... smile.gif

the sound can't be any better than what your current speakers are giving you, if you think about it...

remember the old magnavox tv commercials? same principle...

- chris

post #22 of 56 Old 11-13-2012, 10:54 AM

Addict - I have a 5.1 GX set-up, but with a GXC-150 center and GX-50 surrounds. I agree with you about the 300's highs - I think the GX ribbon tweeters are very special. I'm just driving the whole set up with an AVR as well (Pioneer SC-57). I've had the system for 6 months now and I've not yet heard anything from it that was disappointing. Seems to handle both home theater and music very well. I recently got a 5.1 blu-ray audio copy of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and was blown away! The cabinetry work and overall fit and finish of the MA stuff is second to none, IMO. Everything down to the smallest detail, like packging and screw covers, etc., was top-notch.

That being said, I've never heard any Legacy speakers, or know much about the brand.

I'd find it difficult to believe anyone would be disappointed in, or regret buying, a GX system.

Hope this helps,
JD
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

/\ /\ /\ Clear as water now;-) folks, I please need some input, especially if you have any experience with these speaker models.
post #23 of 56 Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_alpha View Post

Addict - I have a 5.1 GX set-up, but with a GXC-150 center and GX-50 surrounds. I agree with you about the 300's highs - I think the GX ribbon tweeters are very special. I'm just driving the whole set up with an AVR as well (Pioneer SC-57). I've had the system for 6 months now and I've not yet heard anything from it that was disappointing. Seems to handle both home theater and music very well. I recently got a 5.1 blu-ray audio copy of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and was blown away! The cabinetry work and overall fit and finish of the MA stuff is second to none, IMO. Everything down to the smallest detail, like packging and screw covers, etc., was top-notch.
That being said, I've never heard any Legacy speakers, or know much about the brand.
I'd find it difficult to believe anyone would be disappointed in, or regret buying, a GX system.
Hope this helps,
JD

Thanks JD. What subwoofer(s) are you running with the system? Do you have the 300's set to large, LFE plus mains?
post #24 of 56 Old 11-13-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

PS: I revised this thread to now include RBH Reference SX line of speakers. The 1st post was revised accordingly with additional information. Please re-read if you have patience:) Sorry for the inconvenience:D
post #25 of 56 Old 11-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What's your budget for the front 3 speakers?

Mankite
post #26 of 56 Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankite View Post

What's your budget for the front 3 speakers?
whatever the above retail for, but my choices have boiled down to those three above possibilities.
post #27 of 56 Old 11-14-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Any more input or opinions, especially from those that own or have auditioned the brands and models that I have listed above?
post #28 of 56 Old 11-14-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Can we please get your speaker budget? That would really help. I've heard some of those speakers but there are some I like more so I would need to know your budget.

-Brian

Brian R. Smith
post #29 of 56 Old 11-14-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post

Can we please get your speaker budget? That would really help. I've heard some of those speakers but there are some I like more so I would need to know your budget.
-Brian

Hi Brian, out of my research and auditioning, those are my only three options. I have my personal reasons as well for narrowing them down to the options that I afformentioned on my 1st post on this thread. Thank you for your understanding.
post #30 of 56 Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Too bad you don't live close to Oklahoma because my RBH dealer has a T2/P system demo he is selling at a tremendous savings. biggrin.gif

These were once flagship speakers that retailed around $8K/pr. Full factory warranty since they are demo.

I listened to these speakers and they sounded amazing.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page