AudioEngine (A2+S8) vs. Paradigm MilleniaOne CT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-10-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently bought the AudioEngine setup which sounds great but I am already thinking of an upgrade wink.gif

I recently happened across the Paradigm MilleniaOne CT and was wondering if this would be an upgrade? Anyone know how they compare? Price is not a concern for me as sound quality trumps.

I like that they use 4" aluminum drivers rather then the A2's much smaller mid/low drivers and the build quality looks pretty tight considering cast aluminum enclosures. I also like that the bass would be a better fit under my desk and that there would only be speaker wires going to the desktop speakers instead of having power and rca and speaker cables as the A2 have now. Add in the remote and controller and it is very tempting. They seem to have higher power higher quality amps and crossovers built in but I would like to hear from someone who has heard both setups who can tell the differences.

I will be driving them from a HeadRoom Ultra Desktop DAC/Amp which has 3.5mm headphone out on the front (always connected to my Beyer T5p's for serious listening) and RCA volume controlled pre-amp outputs on the back which I assume I would be converting to 3.5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-10-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Just a heads up... The MilleniaOne CT speaker cabinets are make of plastic... not cast aluminum like the MilleniaOne. Also, the CT speakers are sealed, instead of ported, so the bass rolls off higher in frequency.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/review-paradigm-millenia-ct-compact-audio-system

I haven't heard the CT or A2, but currently have the (passive) MilleniaOne and have heard the Audioengine P4 in the past. I thought the P4 was nice, but it didn't wow me. I thought it sounded a little bright.

The MilleniaOne impressed me though - solid midrange detail/clarity, and detailed highs without being bright or harsh. Not much bass, as expected... and certainly not a warm speaker, but still nicely balanced IMO.

I would expect the CT to similar for the most part, although as mentioned it's sealed, so there isn't any really bass, and with the plastic instead of aluminum cabinet, it may give up a little bit of midrange clarity if there are any cabinet resonances (although the cabinet it very small, so that may not be a big issue).
post #3 of 13 Old 11-10-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

That is for the Millenia CT not the MilleniaOne CT here...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-39dFei9aS0I/p_819MLNA1CT/Paradigm-MilleniaOne-CT.html

These are ported aluminum. Same speakers as the MilleniumOne.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-10-2012, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am also interested in the milleniaone ct. If you happen to get any more info please let me know.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-10-2012, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Just ordered it from Crutchfield... will do A/B and report back... just incase it wins anyone interested in an AudioEngine A2+S8 setup? wink.gif
post #6 of 13 Old 11-10-2012, 09:32 PM

That would be great. My previous system was B&W 685, Velodyne impact 12, Pioneer vsx 1120K. I had to sell everything to make room for some new additions to my family.( twins on the way) so I'm hoping to get the same or better sound from a system like this. They do look very intriguing. I'm also considering the millenia ct for 700.00 but I'm afraid the sound quality wouldn't be on par with what I'm used to.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-11-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyd View Post

That is for the Millenia CT not the MilleniaOne CT here...
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-39dFei9aS0I/p_819MLNA1CT/Paradigm-MilleniaOne-CT.html
These are ported aluminum. Same speakers as the MilleniumOne.

Ah... you are correct. I didn't realize Paradigm had two powered systems with such similar names...rolleyes.gif

I suspect you'll like the MilleniaOne CT, and will find it an improvement over the Audioengine setup.... But at well over double the price, I'm curious if you consider the difference worth the big jump in price. Look forward to your thoughts on the new setup.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-11-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I own the A2 as well as the MilleniaOne sats. I can tell you the M1 sats are way better sounding than the A2's by themselves. In short, better clarity/detail through the audio range and much better midrange tonality (more convincing vocals). They are among the best mini sats I've heard with the main drawback that don't have any low end to speak of and thus really need a sub.

I never heard the matching sub of the Paradigm M1 CT system, but I would say right off the bat that the A2's upper bass is very colored sounding with too much upper bass hump and adding a sub isn't going to help, whereas the M1's are neutral through and through and should blend with the sub better

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #9 of 13 Old 11-11-2012, 09:53 PM

Liked: 11
I use the audioengine A5+ with my desktop computer and they are amazing. IMO
post #10 of 13 Old 11-12-2012, 11:41 AM

I just ordered the Millenia CT version from Crutchfield. 679.00 with 20$ off coupon. Ill report back and let everyone know how it works out.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM

Reporting back on the millenia ct 700.00 version. Save yourself about 600.00, go to RadioShack; and purchase a boom box. This one is definitely going back. The system doesn't get loud enough to really feel the music. At high volumes the sound cuts out and makes the whole system sound bad. The connectors for the speaker wire feel cheap, and the subwoofer leaves a lot to be desired. There's also very noticeable cracks in the tweeters at higher volume limits when connected directly to Apple TV via optical cable. This system would probably be ok for a computer/desktop stereo. But do not purchase this for use as a home theater/ living room stereo system. I'm surprised Paradigm would even market it as such!
post #12 of 13 Old 11-15-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Reporting back on the MileniaOne CTvs AudioEngine A2+S8 as a computer desktop setup...

Wow! Much better sound for sure. I'd say the sats are about the same as the A2's maybe a little more reference sounding but the sub is much tighter, more controlled, and less boomy then the S8. For the price the AudioEngines still rule the roost but I am pretty sure the Paradigms win this one. I just wish they had a controller more suited to computer desktop audio then for use with a tv, for example add a usb in and a manual power switch/volume control. A shorter cat5 controller cable too or none at all and just have the 3.5 and usb on the sub directly.

In general clearly better much more reference sound... less boomy you can hear each note even bass clearly. Responds very well to high volume all out jams without breaking up. Projection is wider and not as sensitive to being off axis. I'd love a desktop audio only controller but if i ever do buy an 'entertainment system' this would work great for that too.

So yeah, the AudioEngines are definitely up for sale... pm me if interested...
post #13 of 13 Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

@warpdrive I agree with everything you are saying here... sats are cleaner and more accurate then A2 which are a bit warmer but not as distinctive. sub is much cleaner and blends perfectly. i actually like that there is no adjustable crossover for the sub since it just sounds great how it is no fuss. while these definitely sound better if you are price sensitive you can't go wrong with AudioEngines.
Reply Speakers