Best travel headphones? I'd love Noise Isolating + Foldable + High Quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-10-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I really don't care what brand I go with. Ideally I'd like something that

1. collapses into a small bag
  2. has excellent sound
  3. blocks outside noise (prevents hearing damage, allows you to keep volume low)

This is what I have so far:

Fold n' Flip design collapses on-the-go

Excellent damping of ambient noise

Includes storage pouch

Guessing no go on:

What else should I be looking at? Klipsch doesn't list anything as noise isolating (cancelling yes, but not isolating). Plus they don't have anything that collapses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-10-2012, 10:01 PM

Liked: 10
For most comfortable and best sound, I have taken these with me on airplanes, music even low volume will keep you from hearing noise, have had them going on 8 years and still the best headphones I have. What they don't say is that These are very durable much of it is made of metal, the ear padding is easily replaceable too.
Take a look at Sony Mdr-7506
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDR7506/

For more isolation, feels more like wearing shooting ear muffs, I use the when playing drums. Definitely more isolation than Sony, I bought them for that reason. These are made mostly of plastic, I broke one of the head bands though it was easily replaced, this was a common problem, not sure if they have fixed yet.
Direct sound extreme isolation ex-29
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EX29

These are the most portable, least obtrusive, and most isolating when worn properly. They are probably a better fit for you. I am not a fan of ear buds as i can't get them to fit right. they may have better sound than the mdr-7506 though i doubt it. Still most people report great sound. They have a replaceable cable which uses a small socket joint/connection which you might have to be careful/gentle with. Shure se215
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SE215

Note, all of these are designed as monitors for semi-pro to pro musicians. Their sound quality will likely be hard to beat.

Also over the ear, circumaural will isolate better than on ear headphones.
I would stay away from noise-canceling as it introduces noise and artifacts. My friends, coworkers and I can hear them.

All of the above come with a carry bag, and are designed to fold up or collapse, except the se-215 which can more easily be coiled up. The se-215 in ear monitors also come with different sized and type fittings.

Depending if your an audiophile both the Sony 7506 and ex-29 come with a threaded gold plated adapter, for what it's worth.

There are some ideas, hope it helps.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-10-2012, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks XAiracobraX,

I appreciate your feedback.

Just found these from beyerdynamic:

• DTX 501 p $99.00 (Lightweight, foldable headphone for mobile use + case + closed design effectively attenuates ambient noise and allows enjoying and listening to the music even in a noisy environment.)
  • T 50 p MANUFAKTUR $299.00
  • T 50 p for $289.00
post #4 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Shure:
  • SRH550DJ Professional Quality DJ Headphones
  • SRH750DJ Professional DJ Headphones

Features:
  • Closed-back, circumaural design rests comfortably over the ears and reduces background noise
  • Legendary Shure quality to withstand the rigors of everyday use
  • Ultra-lightweight design folds to very small size for maximum portability
post #5 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Liked: 10
Except for those Shure headphones those you posted are all on ear. Read reviews for them all, particularly customer reviews. In the end it's your choice.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 AM

I recently purchased a pair of Etymotic research er-4P. http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.html.

The sound quality is amazing, they have a very flat Frequency response so the bass might be anemic for some people but once you get used to it, they sound fantastic. Their noise isolation is one of the best on the market, when I am listening with even low volume I cannot hear any outside noise. The downside is that they take some getting used to, due to the "deep penetration" in your ears. After a month of having them I could only wear them for an hour before having to take them out. Luckily Etymotic research offers a custom ear mold option. http://www.etymotic.com/customfit/index.html

The price is $100.00 and you go to an audiologist who makes a silicone mold of your inner ear. In 2 weeks they are delivered to your home and the difference in comfort is night and day. I literally wear them for 10-12 hours at a time while studying and think nothing of it, they feel that good. The total price for the earphones and molds is around $400.00 but if you want serious noise isolation and sound quality I can think of no other option. Send me a PM if you want more details.

Forin
post #7 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Just bought the beyerdynamic: DTX 501 p. Huge huge improvement over my klipsch s4 buds when it comes to sound quality.

Packs into a very small pack for travel. Not sure about noise isolation but this is good so far. :-)
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page